Author Topic: If Flair hadn't gone back to WCW in 93...  (Read 2767 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
If Flair hadn't gone back to WCW in 93...
« on: February 14, 2011, 06:16:08 AM »
how would he been booked? Maybe a match with Hogan at WM 9?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: If Flair hadn't gone back to WCW in 93...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 06:27:24 AM »
how would he been booked? Maybe a match with Hogan at WM 9?

I really thought when Flair jumped to the WWF that they should have milked it out longer and then had the Flair vs Hogan at WM.  That would have been incredible....I would have booked Flair over Savage at 8 and then had him hold the title for the year with Hogan in hot pursuit....big blowoff being WM 9......

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 06:57:48 AM »
I really thought when Flair jumped to the WWF that they should have milked it out longer and then had the Flair vs Hogan at WM.  That would have been incredible....I would have booked Flair over Savage at 8 and then had him hold the title for the year with Hogan in hot pursuit....big blowoff being WM 9......
I remember that he and Vince were on good terms when he left..I forget the exact reason why he went back to WCW. One thing that the company did do right at the time was treat Ric Flair like he was Ric Flair, something Herd at the time wasn't doing and something Bischoff did later on. He had an awesome "Loser leaves town match" with Perfect on Raw and that was it.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:05:19 AM »
I honestly thought that Flair and Savage was a pheomenal fued. IMO I just would'nt have made Savage win the title at WM8 but have it ended in a DQ instead leading up to a cage match at SS later that year at Wembly Stadium. Had it been Hogan vs Flair at WM8 it would have been great but way to predictable. Everyone knew Hogan would have won. They had SS in front of 90,000 people and not Flair on the card...WTF??? More proof that Vince hates any talant that is WWE born and bread.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 09:28:33 AM »
More proof that Vince hates any talant that is WWE born and bread.
That's usually true, but Vince always treated Flair very well IMO. He gave him the belt twice after Herd basically told him that he was washed up, had him win the most hyped up to that point Royal Rumble ever, and basically realized what he had which was the best in the business. Even when he came back in 02 he was used better than he was when Bischoff was in charge of WCW , he tried to make him into a joke. He even got a huge farewell and tribute. I'm sure HHH had some influence in that, but it still was great for him.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 09:34:35 AM »
That's usually true, but Vince always treated Flair very well IMO. He gave him the belt twice after Herd basically told him that he was washed up, had him win the most hyped up to that point Royal Rumble ever, and basically realized what he had which was the best in the business. Even when he came back in 02 he was used better than he was when Bischoff was in charge of WCW , he tried to make him into a joke. He even got a huge farewell and tribute. I'm sure HHH had some influence in that, but it still was great for him.

I do think VKM, for all his faults, actually treated Flair pretty well.  Ric agrees in his book, although any compliments guys give Vince in their books, I take with a grain of salt, as if they have ANY plans for being in the business in the future, they have to kiss VKM's butt.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 11:04:49 AM »
True but it always bothered me some how they made him lose in clean finishes "one too many" times. I always felt they should have kept the WWE title on him a lot longer then what they did. He was used more as a transitional champion.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 11:06:11 AM »
True but it always bothered me some how they made him lose in clean finishes "one too many" times. I always felt they should have kept the WWE title on him a lot longer then what they did. He was used more as a transitional champion.

That reminds me of the HUGE problem i had when hogan joined the nWo.  I thought, finally he will clean job to Flair.....but no, he's too big of a turd for that. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 11:17:29 AM »
That reminds me of the HUGE problem i had when hogan joined the nWo.  I thought, finally he will clean job to Flair.....but no, he's too big of a turd for that. 
IMO Flair took wayyyyyy toooooo much shit in the WCW. He should have stuck to his original lawsuit and taken WCW and all suits and ties involved to the cleaners. He dropped the suit only because he really wanted to come back to TV and Bishoff treated him like shit. I always felt that Flair got disrespected so many ways in both WCW and even in the WWE but Flair is Flair and he'll always have a boatload of fans.

As for Hogan, Hogan's whole life is a work.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 11:24:29 AM »
IMO Flair took wayyyyyy toooooo much shit in the WCW. He should have stuck to his original lawsuit and taken WCW and all suits and ties involved to the cleaners. He dropped the suit only because he really wanted to come back to TV and Bishoff treated him like shit. I always felt that Flair got disrespected so many ways in both WCW and even in the WWE but Flair is Flair and he'll always have a boatload of fans.

As for Hogan, Hogan's whole life is a work.

I agree.  You read Flair's book and you just shake your head at how bad the idiots in WCW had his head messed up....alll the way back to Herd and of course that punk bischoff.....  So sad for a guy was always willing to put the business first, lay down for anybody and do whatever was asked of him. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 11:29:06 AM »
I agree.  You read Flair's book and you just shake your head at how bad the idiots in WCW had his head messed up....alll the way back to Herd and of course that punk bischoff.....  So sad for a guy was always willing to put the business first, lay down for anybody and do whatever was asked of him. 
At least Flair told Herd to go F**k himself and left and to Flair's credit Herd got fired. But they should have never let a guy like Flair get away.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 11:42:29 AM »
On one of Flair's dvd's, I think either HHH or Shawn Michaels said something like, The reason Flair agreed to do all those ridiculous things in WCW because he knew that the people still would respect him because he was Ric Flair and that nothing Bischoff or whoever made him do would change that.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 11:44:45 AM »
On one of Flair's dvd's, I think either HHH or Shawn Michaels said something like, The reason Flair agreed to do all those ridiculous things in WCW because he knew that the people still would respect him because he was Ric Flair and that nothing Bischoff or whoever made him do would change that.

and i agree.  Think of all the awful crap they had him do, and fans who really know wrestling will always put him at, or near the top in all discussions about who the best ever is....remarkable really.

On a side note they treated Arn like garbage too.  I remember them having him job on WCW's Saturday Night.....it was painful to watch.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »
and i agree.  Think of all the awful crap they had him do, and fans who really know wrestling will always put him at, or near the top in all discussions about who the best ever is....remarkable really.

On a side note they treated Arn like garbage too.  I remember them having him job on WCW's Saturday Night.....it was painful to watch.
Like the time they made him cut his hair and put a mask on him and made him wrestle Sting in a cage match? Lol...

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »
Like the time they made him cut his hair and put a mask on him and made him wrestle Sting in a cage match? Lol...

Awful....and the crap they did to him and the Horsemen during the nWo run was just as bad....painting his hair like a skunk, skits, etc... with NO big blowoff where the nWo got there just due.......sickening.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »
Awful....and the crap they did to him and the Horsemen during the nWo run was just as bad....painting his hair like a skunk, skits, etc... with NO big blowoff where the nWo got there just due.......sickening.
That made me sick because it wasn't business. It was Bishoff kicking Flair when he was down.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »
That made me sick because it wasn't business. It was Bishoff kicking Flair when he was down.

I know.  It made no sense in a storyline context....and then the Filthy Animals buried Ric in the desert?  WTF? 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 01:08:42 PM »
I know.  It made no sense in a storyline context....and then the Filthy Animals buried Ric in the desert?  WTF? 
An atrocity. Completely ridiculous and just Bishoff trying to break Flair as he stated on his dvd.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 01:56:53 PM »

I think that is for the most part true.  I think some things even Vince can't deny, such as Flair's draw and talent.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 01:59:24 PM »

That and making a total joke of the Arn retirement was the low point for me.

Of course a heel Hogan stomping Flair at Starrcade is a very close third.