Author Topic: Does anyone have advice on fighting traffic tickets?  (Read 3999 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Does anyone have advice on fighting traffic tickets?
« on: February 18, 2011, 03:48:07 AM »
So I'm running late to my friend's concert, stuck behind this asshole out in the middle of nowhere who's going a good 5-10 mph below the limit.  He starts to turn into a parking lot and slows to, no kidding, probably 1-2 mph!!  Of course I don't slow to a stop, but weave around him, going maybe 1-2 feet over the double yellow.  Next thing I know I'm getting pulled over and cited.  (I can't believe I didn't notice I was driving behind an officer  ::) )

The officer is some pissed off Mexican who asks me about ten times if I knew what I did wrong.  I thought I had broken some subtle law I didn't know about, but when he told me the infraction was "passing in no pass zone" I couldn't believe it.  Passing indeed!  I saw two people do the exact same thing, dipping slightly over the line to get around some cyclists, that very same trip, once I got in the city.

I already pleaded not guilty and mailed off my ticket.  I'm hoping this douche doesn't show up to court, but if he does, what should I say?

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
Re: Does anyone have advice on fighting traffic tickets?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 03:50:00 AM »
cant say anything.  In traffic court you are guilty until proven innocent.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:51:06 AM »
i had exactly the same thing happening to me, went into court against the ticket.

Fucking police officer was there as well and guess who the judge believed? The police officer or me?

Just pay the shit and forget it, if you go against it you will have many months of trouble and a fucking lawyer to pay as well.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 04:56:15 AM »
Why would you plead not guilty knowing you were guilty and knowing there was no way you could prove you're not guilty?
Deep Tissue Massage

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior

Power

• Getbig III
  • Move along
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 05:02:26 AM »
Why would you plead not guilty knowing you were guilty and knowing there was no way you could prove you're not guilty?

Welcome to GetBigger logic.    ::)

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 05:13:38 AM »

I don't know the exact meaning of the violation "passing in a no passing zone," or how the relevant laws are worded.  For all I know, I'm not guilty.  And if I am, it's a failing of the law.  As far as I know, traffic laws are designed to ensure safety and smooth travel -- what I did was not dangerous whatsoever, unusual, or at all malicious.  Though I am perhaps technically guilty (once again, how would I know? I haven't read the laws), I hope I can convince the judge to at least lessen the penalty, since I didn't do anything that would offend someone willing to look past the letter of the law and through to the intent of it.

Or I could just deny it altogether? ???

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 05:19:42 AM »
I don't know the exact meaning of the violation "passing in a no passing zone," or how the relevant laws are worded.  For all I know, I'm not guilty.  And if I am, it's a failing of the law.  As far as I know, traffic laws are designed to ensure safety and smooth travel -- what I did was not dangerous whatsoever, unusual, or at all malicious.  Though I am perhaps technically guilty (once again, how would I know? I haven't read the laws), I hope I can convince the judge to at least lessen the penalty, since I didn't do anything that would offend someone willing to look past the letter of the law and through to the intent of it.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse in court.  You have zero chance of winning this, as you even stated you drove into the oncoming lane to get around the turning car.  You might think it was nothing, but what if someone were in oncoming traffic? 

On a related note, I was pulled one time for passing a tractor in Colorado in a no-passing zone.....had my boss' handgun lying on the seat beside me (it was his pick-up), an out of state license and all I got was a warning.....   ;D

spinnis

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 05:21:03 AM »
this guy got a 10k (seriously) musclebear ticket and is paying it of, maby you could do the same?  ;D ;D

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 05:29:08 AM »
You were running late---that is on you. You got impatient, again on you. Was it a no passing zone? Go back to the spot....check it out, if it is, then you are screwed...check local laws, or hire an attorney...coming to getbig for local infraction advice, when nobody knows where you live is not the smart thing to do...

Next time, leave at a appropriate time. Don't get behind a slower driver, and don't be so impatient. This will save you time, money, and get your blood pressure down...but your getbig posts down as well.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 06:17:11 AM »

Yes, you could deny it, and that would cause the cop to go to his car and bring in the video evidence of him pulling you over for it.

Here we go, "cephissus" will put the SYSTEM ON TRIAL!!!
Deep Tissue Massage

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »
I'm just glad that the cops are out there busting the douches that need busting.
O

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 06:24:43 AM »
So I'm running late to my friend's concert, stuck behind this asshole out in the middle of nowhere who's going a good 5-10 mph below the limit.  He starts to turn into a parking lot and slows to, no kidding, probably 1-2 mph!!  Of course I don't slow to a stop, but weave around him, going maybe 1-2 feet over the double yellow.  Next thing I know I'm getting pulled over and cited.  (I can't believe I didn't notice I was driving behind an officer  ::) )

The officer is some pissed off Mexican who asks me about ten times if I knew what I did wrong.  I thought I had broken some subtle law I didn't know about, but when he told me the infraction was "passing in no pass zone" I couldn't believe it.  Passing indeed!  I saw two people do the exact same thing, dipping slightly over the line to get around some cyclists, that very same trip, once I got in the city.

I already pleaded not guilty and mailed off my ticket.  I'm hoping this douche doesn't show up to court, but if he does, what should I say?

Happens to me just about every morning going to work driving here in lovely s.florida. 80% of the crowd is like me trying to get to work...the 20% that fuc's it up are elderly drivers just casually having a morning drive during rush time.

As far as last second passing like that, just flash your turn signal for a second then flash it again when you get back over into your lane. Plead no contest and just pay the court fee (no points) other than that...pay even more to have an attorney show up and fight it for you.

I cannot stand when people are out doing 10+ under the speed limit during the morning rush....GTF off the streets, interstates and expressways with that sh*t seriously.

spinnis

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 06:30:47 AM »

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 06:36:13 AM »
Tell the judge that the cop only cited you after you declined a lewd proposition.  Nail your sodium and wear something clingy.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 06:40:31 AM »

What state are you in? Plead not guilty then they'll give you a non moving violation if your not a fuck up.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 07:03:41 AM »
Suck it up princess and pay the ticket.

.....and be happy he didn't pull you over after your friends show when you had a few drinks in you.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 07:10:01 AM »
Dont pay the ticket. Show up to court and you wont have to say a word and it will get reduced.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 07:10:59 AM »

I don't think it matters what country or state you're driving in, if you didn't notice this before attempting the manouveure then technically you were driving without due care and attention and for that they can bust you for whatever they like.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 07:12:51 AM »
Suck it up princess and pay the ticket.

QFT

Cry me a fuckin river already. just pay the damn ticket and move the fuck on with your mundane life

Wani

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 08:21:01 AM »
Pace yourself in the first round and go in for the kill in the second, plenty of uppercuts

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 08:28:10 AM »

Couple of things...

Go to court and hope that he doesn't show up.  If he doesn't, the judge might dismiss the entire case.

Check the ticket for any errors (Make of car, color, time, street corner during infraction), sometimes the judges will penalize the traffic officials for making stupid mistakes.

Say that if not for you going around this vehicle, you could have had a serious accident (i.e. the guy in front abruptly stopped, which gave you little time/space to maneuver and if not for your going around the vehicle, you would have gotten into an accident that would have placed both you and the other driver in the hospital).  You could add that he didn't have a signal light on when entering the lot.

If you know another cop with a higher rank (i.e. detective) have him call it in and get it dropped.

You said you were driving behind the officer, this possibly gives you a good amount of leeway to defend your argument in stating that he had very limited visibility and could not assess the immediate danger you were in if not for your maneuver.

The cop was Mexican, offer him some food, free phone cards, a new pair of sneakers and tequila.  MIGHT WORK..

"1"

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 08:37:29 AM »
Couple of things...

Go to court and hope that he doesn't show up.  If he doesn't, the judge might dismiss the entire case.

Check the ticket for any errors (Make of car, color, time, street corner during infraction), sometimes the judges will penalize the traffic officials for making stupid mistakes.

Say that if not for you going around this vehicle, you could have had a serious accident (i.e. the guy in front abruptly stopped, which gave you little time/space to maneuver and if not for your going around the vehicle, you would have gotten into an accident that would have placed both you and the other driver in the hospital).  You could add that he didn't have a signal light on when entering the lot.

If you know another cop with a higher rank (i.e. detective) have him call it in and get it dropped.

You said you were driving behind the officer, this possibly gives you a good amount of leeway to defend your argument in stating that he had very limited visibility and could not access the immediate danger you were in if not for your maneuver.

The cop was Mexican, offer him some food, free phone cards, a new pair of sneakers and tequila.  MIGHT WORK..

"1"

I find it quite disturbing that, from all the posts, the only inteligent response in this thread was written by a bona fide gay man.
At least I am not feeling that guilty anymore of finding Patricia Araujo almost hot;

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
Couple of things...

You said you were driving behind the officer, this possibly gives you a good amount of leeway to defend your argument in stating that he had very limited visibility and could not assess the immediate danger you were in if not for your maneuver.

"1"

Thanks for the advice!  The visibility / accident potential thing, in particular, is a good point.  I was thinking last night, since I barely crossed over the line at all, I might be able to argue that the officer, being roughly perpendicular to me, and nearly off the road when I "passed" him, wouldn't have the proper perspective to judge whether I really even crossed into the "no passing zone" at all.

I'm also considering mentioning that, while I was completely polite for the entire exchange, the officer was in an extremely foul mood for no apparent reason, possibly indicating impaired judgment.

Another interesting tip I read on another site, which may help others in my position, is to delay your court hearing as much as possible.  Often, officers schedule lots of infraction hearings on one day so they can knock them all out at once, and if you delay, you may be able to catch him at a time when he wasn't planning on coming in, and therefore won't.  I don't think I'm going to do this since I want to get things taken care of quickly, though maybe I should.

And for everyone saying "why don't you just shut up and pay the ticket?"  I don't mind paying the fee, although I don't have much money, but I do mind accruing points on my driving record, especially for something that may not even be illegal, and certainly shouldn't be -- like I said, this maneuver is performed countless times every day by people avoiding cyclists, inappropriately parked vehicles, pedestrians on streets with no shoulder, etc. out of NECESSITY.

I received a speeding ticket recently and paid it without complaint -- I was speeding substantially on the freeway and had a habit of it.  I've since changed my habits.  This infraction, however, will not compel me to change my behavior whatsoever, and anyone who sits behind a pedestrian for five minutes going three mph because they don't want to dip over a solid line for two seconds, or thinks this, or any of a number of "offenses" equivalent to mine, ought to constitute criminal behavior, is a retard.