Author Topic: The Official Chris Christie Appreciation Thread  (Read 63678 times)

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
Re: The Official Chris Christie Appreciation Thread
« Reply #200 on: May 10, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
he is right.
that's why he won't get nominated.
some crazy will.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #201 on: May 15, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »
Fat Man is serious about this weight loss thing.   :o

Christie reveals anger at not fitting in clothes
Posted by
CNN Political Unit

(CNN) - Gov. Chris Christie, who disclosed last week he underwent weight loss surgery in a bid to prolong his life, is saying more about what prompted his decision to go under the knife.

Speaking at a book signing event in Princeton, Christie said he grew frustrated when his clothes no longer fit his growing frame, according to the Record Newspaper of New Jersey.

"The things that really got me down, the moments where I would say to myself, 'Why can't I beat this? Why can't I do better?', it would be when I'd be going out with Mary Pat on a Friday night or Saturday night," Christie said, according to the report. Mary Pat is Christie's wife.

"I'd be changing out of my professional clothes ... and would go to casual clothes that I didn't wear a lot, and then something wouldn't fit. That's when I'd really be angry with myself," he said.

Christie secretly underwent lap-band surgery in February, a few months after turning 50, though the procedure wasn't revealed until last week. Christie said then the decision instead was based on his commitment to his family.

"It's not a career issue for me. It is a long term health issue for me. And that is the basis upon which I made my decision," Christie said, saying that "the steps I've taken are for me, and Mary Pat, and the kids."

At Tuesday's book signing, Christie said he often gets comments from constituents who are concerned about his weight – and that he welcomes them.

"Especially older women will say things to me in a motherly way, like, 'You know, if you lost 30 pounds, you would be so handsome.' I don't mind those kinds of conversations where people say, 'I'm concerned about you; we need you to be governor, we need you to lose weight,'" Christie said.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/15/christie-reveals-anger-at-not-fitting-in-clothes/?hpt=hp_t2

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #202 on: June 04, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »
Good job Fat Man.  The fact he upset both Republicans and Democrats is a good thing.  I agree with him that the people should decide (assuming state law gives him that discretion). 

Christie opts for special election, says voters should decide
By Paul Steinhauser. Jim Acosta and Peter Hamby, CNN
updated 7:29 PM EDT, Tue June 4, 2013

Washington (CNN) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie opted for a special election to fill a newly vacant Senate seat through 2014 instead of appointing a replacement through that time, saying the decision was about giving voters "a choice and a voice in the process" and was not driven by political self-interest.

Christie sets October special election to replace Lautenberg

While the Republican's decision for a special October ballot could help him avoid stronger Democratic turnout in his re-election bid a month later, it also opens him up to criticism from his own party that is on the short end of the balance of power in the Senate.

Christie explained his decision one day after the Garden State's senior senator, Frank Lautenberg, a liberal Democrat, died at 89 after an illness. Christie said he would name a placeholder as soon as possible to fill the seat until the October election.

Democrats immediately slammed the move, asserting that Christie is wasting taxpayer money to protect his ambitions. National Republicans weren't critical but they didn't praise the governor, either.

Christie announced that Democratic and Republican primary elections will be held on August 13 with the general election on October 16.

The winner of the special election will serve out the final year of Lautenberg's term, and an election for a full six-year term will occur the following November.

Voters should have say

While Christie said state law allowed him to name a replacement for the remaining year-and-a-half of Lautenberg's term, he believes an appointment over that period of time was not suitable or fair.

"The issues facing the United States Senate are too critically important and the decisions that need to be dealt with too vital not too have an elected representative making those decisions who was voted on and decided on by the people of this state. These decisions should be made by an elected official who represents the will of voters of New Jersey," Christie said.

The expense of an election is also an issue during an era of belt tightening.

The New Jersey Office of Legislative Services, an administrative wing of the Democrat-controlled state Legislature, estimates it will cost $12 million to state taxpayers to conduct a primary and another $12 million for a general election.

New Jersey is already voting in a general election on November 5, when Christie is bidding for a second term. So some ask why doesn't he save $12 million and schedule a special general election a few weeks later?

Christie said state law only permits the option of an October special election or an election in 2014.

Christie said "there's no political purpose" behind his decision on the election date.

But polls show that he has a 2-1 advantage over state Sen. Barbara Buono, his Democratic challenger. And putting a special Senate election on the same day in November would most likely increase Democratic turnout, especially if Newark Mayor Cory Booker is on the ballot. Booker was considering his own run for Senate in 2014.

By placing the special Senate election in October, Christie avoids Democratic turnout tied to this issue possibly becoming a problem for him.

Democrats unhappy

National Democrats quickly blasted the decision.

"Governor Christie might not know or care how many millions of taxpayer dollars his special election gambit will waste, but the people of New Jersey certainly do. Christie should do the right thing, protect New Jersey taxpayer dollars instead of his own political career, and hold the Senate election on the same day as his own," Democratic Governors Association Executive Director Colm O'Comartun, said in a statement.

Christie said that the costs associated with special primary and general elections "cannot be measured" against the value of an elected senator "when so many consequential issues are being debated and determined this year."

State Democrats had threatened legal action if Christie pushed the election back to November 2014, but Christie's not sure if his decision averts a legal challenge, adding, "In New Jersey, people sue over everything."

Christie said he has yet to decide on a placeholder. But he said he has a list in his head and that he'll make a determination relatively soon.

"I'm looking for a person who's going to be a good United States senator," he said.

The outspoken governor also said it wouldn't be fair to appoint a GOP placeholder to serve out the remainder of the late Democratic senator's term.

"I understand the political advantage that would come to me if I was the person, the sole person, to decide who would be in the Senate representing New Jersey for 18 months, but I just did not feel comfortable doing that," he said.

Christie didn't say at the news conference whether the placeholder will be allowed to run in the special election, but a source close to the governor told CNN, "Legally the appointee could run if he or she wanted to, but would have to go through the election process."

Republicans not praising Christie

National Republicans weren't criticizing Christie's decision, but they weren't praising it, either.

"I am sure the governor exercised whatever option he had in the best interest of his state and I won't question the path that he has chosen," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said.

Christie's decision could complicate his already-strained relationship with national conservatives, which could spell trouble if he decides to run for president in 2016.

"I was disappointed he didn't pick a Republican to fill out the rest of the term, but not surprised," said Katon Dawson, the former Chairman of the South Carolina Republican Party.

"Chris Christie has always done what's best for Chris Christie in New Jersey," added Dawson, whose state is traditionally one of the first to cast ballots in the presidential primary process.

Many on the right are still upset with Christie's praise of President Barack Obama personally and the federal response in the wake of Superstorm Sandy, just days before last November's presidential election.

While Christie's approval rating in New Jersey soared after Sandy and has remained high, some commentators in his own party blasted him for his praise of Obama, saying it contributed to the defeat of GOP nominee Mitt Romney.

And Democrats were quick to point that out.

"Republicans have not won a Senate race in New Jersey in more than 40 years. Their only shot was an appointee who had a year and a half to establish themselves before an election in 2014," Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee Deputy Executive Director Matt Canter said. "With this news, I assume operatives at the NRSC are busy planning Christie's defeat in Iowa and New Hampshire right now."

Meanwhile, the rival National Republican Senatorial Committee pointed toward what could be a divisive Democratic primary.

"Democrats will now face an ugly primary sprint between Cory Booker, Rob Andrews and Frank Pallone -- all with substantial war chests and a healthy dislike for each other," NRSC spokesman Brad Dayspring said. "Corey Booker did not want to have to wrap this up in two months."

Democratic Congressman Rush Holt may also make a bid for the Senate seat.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/04/politics/christie-special-election/

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #203 on: June 04, 2013, 09:01:38 PM »
Good job Fat Man.  The fact he upset both Republicans and Democrats is a good thing.  I agree with him that the people should decide (assuming state law gives him that discretion). 

Christie opts for special election, says voters should decide
By Paul Steinhauser. Jim Acosta and Peter Hamby, CNN
updated 7:29 PM EDT, Tue June 4, 2013

Washington (CNN) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie opted for a special election to fill a newly vacant Senate seat through 2014 instead of appointing a replacement through that time, saying the decision was about giving voters "a choice and a voice in the process" and was not driven by political self-interest.

Christie sets October special election to replace Lautenberg

While the Republican's decision for a special October ballot could help him avoid stronger Democratic turnout in his re-election bid a month later, it also opens him up to criticism from his own party that is on the short end of the balance of power in the Senate.

Christie explained his decision one day after the Garden State's senior senator, Frank Lautenberg, a liberal Democrat, died at 89 after an illness. Christie said he would name a placeholder as soon as possible to fill the seat until the October election.

Democrats immediately slammed the move, asserting that Christie is wasting taxpayer money to protect his ambitions. National Republicans weren't critical but they didn't praise the governor, either.

Christie announced that Democratic and Republican primary elections will be held on August 13 with the general election on October 16.

The winner of the special election will serve out the final year of Lautenberg's term, and an election for a full six-year term will occur the following November.

Voters should have say

While Christie said state law allowed him to name a replacement for the remaining year-and-a-half of Lautenberg's term, he believes an appointment over that period of time was not suitable or fair.

"The issues facing the United States Senate are too critically important and the decisions that need to be dealt with too vital not too have an elected representative making those decisions who was voted on and decided on by the people of this state. These decisions should be made by an elected official who represents the will of voters of New Jersey," Christie said.

The expense of an election is also an issue during an era of belt tightening.

The New Jersey Office of Legislative Services, an administrative wing of the Democrat-controlled state Legislature, estimates it will cost $12 million to state taxpayers to conduct a primary and another $12 million for a general election.

New Jersey is already voting in a general election on November 5, when Christie is bidding for a second term. So some ask why doesn't he save $12 million and schedule a special general election a few weeks later?

Christie said state law only permits the option of an October special election or an election in 2014.

Christie said "there's no political purpose" behind his decision on the election date.

But polls show that he has a 2-1 advantage over state Sen. Barbara Buono, his Democratic challenger. And putting a special Senate election on the same day in November would most likely increase Democratic turnout, especially if Newark Mayor Cory Booker is on the ballot. Booker was considering his own run for Senate in 2014.

By placing the special Senate election in October, Christie avoids Democratic turnout tied to this issue possibly becoming a problem for him.

Democrats unhappy

National Democrats quickly blasted the decision.

"Governor Christie might not know or care how many millions of taxpayer dollars his special election gambit will waste, but the people of New Jersey certainly do. Christie should do the right thing, protect New Jersey taxpayer dollars instead of his own political career, and hold the Senate election on the same day as his own," Democratic Governors Association Executive Director Colm O'Comartun, said in a statement.

Christie said that the costs associated with special primary and general elections "cannot be measured" against the value of an elected senator "when so many consequential issues are being debated and determined this year."

State Democrats had threatened legal action if Christie pushed the election back to November 2014, but Christie's not sure if his decision averts a legal challenge, adding, "In New Jersey, people sue over everything."

Christie said he has yet to decide on a placeholder. But he said he has a list in his head and that he'll make a determination relatively soon.

"I'm looking for a person who's going to be a good United States senator," he said.

The outspoken governor also said it wouldn't be fair to appoint a GOP placeholder to serve out the remainder of the late Democratic senator's term.

"I understand the political advantage that would come to me if I was the person, the sole person, to decide who would be in the Senate representing New Jersey for 18 months, but I just did not feel comfortable doing that," he said.

Christie didn't say at the news conference whether the placeholder will be allowed to run in the special election, but a source close to the governor told CNN, "Legally the appointee could run if he or she wanted to, but would have to go through the election process."

Republicans not praising Christie

National Republicans weren't criticizing Christie's decision, but they weren't praising it, either.

"I am sure the governor exercised whatever option he had in the best interest of his state and I won't question the path that he has chosen," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said.

Christie's decision could complicate his already-strained relationship with national conservatives, which could spell trouble if he decides to run for president in 2016.

"I was disappointed he didn't pick a Republican to fill out the rest of the term, but not surprised," said Katon Dawson, the former Chairman of the South Carolina Republican Party.

"Chris Christie has always done what's best for Chris Christie in New Jersey," added Dawson, whose state is traditionally one of the first to cast ballots in the presidential primary process.

Many on the right are still upset with Christie's praise of President Barack Obama personally and the federal response in the wake of Superstorm Sandy, just days before last November's presidential election.

While Christie's approval rating in New Jersey soared after Sandy and has remained high, some commentators in his own party blasted him for his praise of Obama, saying it contributed to the defeat of GOP nominee Mitt Romney.

And Democrats were quick to point that out.

"Republicans have not won a Senate race in New Jersey in more than 40 years. Their only shot was an appointee who had a year and a half to establish themselves before an election in 2014," Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee Deputy Executive Director Matt Canter said. "With this news, I assume operatives at the NRSC are busy planning Christie's defeat in Iowa and New Hampshire right now."

Meanwhile, the rival National Republican Senatorial Committee pointed toward what could be a divisive Democratic primary.

"Democrats will now face an ugly primary sprint between Cory Booker, Rob Andrews and Frank Pallone -- all with substantial war chests and a healthy dislike for each other," NRSC spokesman Brad Dayspring said. "Corey Booker did not want to have to wrap this up in two months."

Democratic Congressman Rush Holt may also make a bid for the Senate seat.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/04/politics/christie-special-election/

?

the month after the special election?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #204 on: August 19, 2013, 12:13:29 PM »
I'm more interested in how much weight he has lost.   :)

Aug 19, 2013
NJ governor signs ban on gay conversion therapy
By ANGELA DELLI SANTI
Associated Press

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- Republican Gov. Chris Christie signed a law on Monday barring licensed therapists from trying to turn gay teenagers straight, the latest example of the potential 2016 presidential candidate steering a moderate course.

The governor said the health risks of trying to change a child's sexual orientation, as identified by the American Psychological Association, trump concerns over the government setting limits on parental choice. "Government should tread carefully into this area," he said in the signing note, "and I do so here reluctantly."

The decision marked the third time this month that Christie has staked out a moderate position on a hot-button social issue as he seeks a second term in a Democratic-leaning state. It also offers more evidence that the popular governor is positioning himself as a pragmatist who shuns more conservative elements within his party.

Christie found middle ground on medical marijuana for children when he agreed Friday to allow growers to cultivate additional strains, and for marijuana to be made in an edible form for chronically ill children. But he would not lift an oversight provision that could require as many as three doctors to sign off on a prescription.

Last week, Christie vetoed a bill banning .50-caliber rifles that was vigorously opposed by firearms rights advocates and gutted a proposed overhaul of the state's gun permit law that relied on undeveloped technology. Recently, he signed 10 less-significant gun measures the Democrat-led Legislature passed after last year's deadly school shooting rampage in Newtown, Conn.

The decisions allow Christie to quiet some of the criticism he could face from conservatives by offering specific reasons why he was taking the steps, often citing compassion for the needs of children and families.

His approval of the conversion therapy ban could be met with criticism in Christian conservative circles with influence in early voting states like Iowa and South Carolina.

Conversion therapy gained attention two years ago when former GOP presidential candidate Michele Bachmann was questioned over whether her husband's Christian counseling business provided services that attempted to change gays and lesbians. Bachmann's husband, Marcus, denied involvement in the therapy and the congresswoman dropped out of the presidential campaign in January 2012 after a poor showing in the Iowa caucuses.

In signing the ban, Christie reiterated his belief that people are born gay and homosexuality is not a sin, a position he first stated in a 2011 interview with CNN's Piers Morgan. That view is inconsistent with his Catholic faith, which teaches that homosexual acts are sins.

Christie said on "issues of medical treatment for children we must look to experts in the field to determine the relative risks and rewards," citing a litany of potential ill effects of trying to change sexual orientation, including depression, drug abuse and suicide.

"I believe that exposing children to these health risks without clear evidence of benefits that outweigh these serious risks is not appropriate," he said.

Christie, however, has not moderated his position on gay marriage, which he vetoed and continues to oppose. As a result, gay rights activists applauded Monday's bill signing but pushed for more.

"It is our truest hope that the governor will realize, as the majority of the legislature and a super-majority of the public have realized, that the best way to ensure lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender youth are protected from the abuse of being ostracized is to provide them with equality," Troy Stevenson, executive director of the state's largest gay rights group, Garden State Equality, said in a statement.

Christie has said he supports the state's civil union law, which was enacted to give gay couples the benefits of marriage but not the title. Several couples have since sued, claiming the law provides them unequal treatment. A court decision is expected next month.

Gay rights groups say conversion therapy damages young people, because it tells them that it's not acceptable to be whoever they are.

Some social conservatives framed the debate as a parental rights issue, saying a ban on the counseling would limit the ability of parents to do what they think is best for their children.

Conversion therapy has increasingly drawn criticism for its methods. Last year, four gay men sued a Jersey City group for fraud, saying its program included making them strip naked and attack effigies of their mothers with baseball bats.

California has also banned it.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CONVERSION_THERAPY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-08-19-06-47-21

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #205 on: August 19, 2013, 12:35:40 PM »
Bum - I like how you started this thread by saying no fat jokes and now you're starting posts by calling him Fat Man

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #206 on: August 19, 2013, 12:41:11 PM »
Christie will be Obama - lite

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #207 on: August 19, 2013, 12:50:04 PM »
Christie will be Obama - lite

No way the Fat Man would be anywhere near as bad as Obama. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2013, 12:52:45 PM »
http://nationalreview.com/corner/356140/over-100k-new-jersey-residents-lose-their-affordable-health-plans-under-obamacare

Until that Fat piece of shit starts acting like a real conservative - I wont vote for him. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #209 on: August 19, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »
I don't like everything he has been doing, but I still like him.  I'll wait to see who is running in 2016.  I'll vote for whomever I think is the best candidate, regardless of party. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2013, 06:03:35 PM »
Christie's Gay Bill Irks Christian Right
Tuesday, 27 Aug 2013
By Jennifer G. Hickey

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's signing of legislation last week banning the practice of gay conversion therapy on minors has opened a wound with Christian conservatives and will likely prove another stumbling block in any 2016 presidential bid.

Peter Sprigg, senior fellow for policy studies at the Family Research Council, said the law "tramples on the rights of minors, parents, and therapists alike" and shows that Christie "has accepted a distorted view of what the research shows."

Connie Mackey, president of FRC Action PAC, predicted that Christie's "poorly informed decision" will "undermine any of his national political ambitions. Values voters are looking for candidates who will lead the way to preserve the right to live out one's faith."

In a video posted on the website of Citizenlink -- a Focus on the Family affiliate -- the group's Executive Director Tom Minnery said the ban was the "politically correct thing to do" and Christie was "bowing in the face of huge social pressure."

And Liberty Counsel, an international nonprofit organization that advocates for religious freedom, announced its plans to file suit to overturn the law.

The legislation -- Assembly Bill 3371 -- prohibits "counseling to change the sexual orientation of a minor" and passed both houses of the New Jersey legislature with bipartisan majorities.

Christian groups and other family advocates argue that the state should not be interfering in parental rights, and the types of counseling, especially religious-based, they may seek for their children.

Larry Tomczak, writing in CharismaNews, took issue with Christie for saying that people are born gay and that homosexuality is not a sin during the signing of the therapy ban bill.

"With all due respect, for Christian parents, counselors and parents to remain silent when you make these kinds of statements would be inexcusable," Tomczak wrote. "Millions of decent, concerned citizens view this as a further erosion of parental rights."

Even with criticism coming from the Christian right, Dan Judy, a Republican operative with North Star Opinion Research, said signing the gay conversion therapy ban shouldn't hurt Christie's chances if he decides to seek Republican presidential nomination.

"It is a very specific issue. In terms of gay rights, gay marriage is the issue that matters and on that [Christie] is on the side of conservatives in opposing it," Judy said in an interview with Newsmax.

Christie has been walking a fine line on social issues and his stand on gay rights is no different.

Responding to a question following the signing ceremony about whether his position on gay conversion therapy was in conflict with his stance on gay marriage -- which he opposes -- Christie countered that "both the veto message on the same-sex marriage bill and the signing statement on the gay conversion therapy bill -- anybody who reads those won't have any problem reconciling the two."

Judy notes that for all of the talk that Christie is too moderate, the governor actually holds conservative positions on right-to-life issues and gay marriage.

The Christie administration recently filed a legal brief defending the state's 2006 Civil Union Act, which grants gay couples all the benefits of marriage yet bars them from actually getting married.

On Second Amendment issues, Christie recently vetoed three gun-control measures, including a ban on .50 caliber long-range rifles that he actually proposed in 2012.

Christie has harshly criticized the NRA and has called for stronger gun control in cracking down on crime. Earlier this year Christie slammed the NRA for a running a TV ad noting President Barack Obama's daughters attended a private school that utilized armed guards.

On other key issues, Christie has embraced global warming as a real threat and said that illegal aliens committed no crime by entering the U.S.

Christie appears to be a collision course with key constituencies of the Republican Party, including Christian evangelicals, gun rights supporters and libertarians. Christie recently got into a public spat with Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, characterizing his libertarian views as "dangerous."

Polls suggest Christie’s moderate image makes him popular among swing voters. But GOP strategists say winning Republican presidential candidates -- such as Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush -- took the White House by having a highly motivated base turn out on Election Day, including religious voters and NRA supporters.

Conservative talk show host Mark Levin told Fox News last week, "As for Chris Christie, I will do everything I can in my little way to make sure he is not the nominee."

Urgent: Supreme Court Right on Gay Marriage? Vote Here Now

Levin said "if we keep nominating Republicans, moderates from the Northeast, we're going to keep getting our lunch handed to us."

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/christie-gay-conversion-therapy/2013/08/27/id/522372#ixzz2dDmPC1dM

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »
on the other hand, people like CC are going to make me think twice about voting Demo....unless, of course, it's Mrs. Clinton. 
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2013, 11:42:03 AM »
Fat Man is losing weight.   :o

Christie, Challenger Debate Gay Rights, the Economy

Tuesday, 08 Oct 2013

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Democratic challenger Barbara Buono debated same-sex marriage, taxes and the economy on Oct. 8 in a debate that also touched on the Republican’s presidential prospects in 2016.

The Republican brushed off a question about his presidential aspirations while Buono, a state senator from Metuchen who has struggled against the popular incumbent, said he should say whether he’ll finish another term if re-elected, in their first head-to-head meeting of the 2013 campaign.

“People have been talking about me running for president since 2010,” Christie said, adding that he wouldn’t predict what he might decide in three years. If re-elected, he said, he would do the best job he could and that making his future plans wouldn’t interfere with his performance in the office.

Christie, 51, the only U.S. governor seeking re-election this year, has a wide lead over Buono, 60, in fundraising and in voter polls. He has brought in $6 for every $1 the senator has, while the most recent survey had him leading by 34 percentage points. A landslide win in a Democratic stronghold may provide him with a launching pad for a 2016 presidential run.

Buono charged Christie with mishandling the state economy, urging him to acknowledge that he hasn’t sufficiently increased jobs or economic growth. The governor said his administration had cut taxes and curbed rising property levies while taking steps to undo budget damage left by a decade of largesse under Democrats, including Buono.

Truth Teller

“What the people of New Jersey want is someone who’s real and tells them the truth as he sees it,” Christie said during the hour-long forum at William Paterson University in Wayne.

“That’s what I’ve done for four years: I’ve looked them in the eye and told them the truth,” the governor said. “Sometimes they were truths they were uncomfortable with. Sometimes they were truths they didn’t want to hear. But that’s what leadership is about.”

Buono, a lawyer, took up her party’s standard this year after more-popular Democrats, including Newark Mayor Cory Booker, chose not to challenge Christie. Booker instead is running for an open U.S. Senate in an Oct. 16 special election.

During several heated exchanges, the Democrat knocked Christie for suspending property-tax rebates, vetoing same-sex marriage legalization and failing to lower college costs. She said his economic policies haven’t worked, with hundreds of thousands of residents still jobless.

“Four years ago we had the highest uneployment in the region,” Buono said. “Today, with 400,000 out of work, we still do.”

“It’s time to put New Jersey first and bring jobs back,” she said. “I’m going to be the kind of governor to do that. I will lift up the middle class.”

‘Man Up’

“You have to man up,” Buono told Christie. “You’ve been in office four years and it’s time to own your record and defend your record.”

Christie responded that he is proud of his accomplishments, saying he had cut property taxes. On same-sex marriage, he reiterated his position that voters should decide such a weighty issue, not politicians or the courts.

The debates -- another is set for Oct. 15 -- hold little in the way of risk for Christie, according to Julian Zelizer, who teaches history and public affairs at Princeton University.

The Republican has two prime objectives, Zelizer said by telephone from the school in Princeton, New Jersey. By expanding his victory margin compared with 2009, Christie will increase his sway with the Democrats who control the legislature. At the same time, a knockout win also makes him appear stronger as a contender for the White House, Zelizer said.

‘Dual Strategy’

“The debate plays into this dual strategy,” Zelizer said. “It’s not about who wins or loses at this point. It’s about how much he can increase the margin of victory and the implications it will have for him as governor and if he runs for president.”

Christie, a former federal prosecutor, in 2009 became the first in his party to win a statewide election since 1997 when he ousted then-Governor Jon Corzine, a Democrat and former U.S. senator, 48 percent to 45 percent.

The Republican has ridden high voter-approval numbers since gaining plaudits for his handling of Hurricane Sandy last year. Christie faulted his party’s congressional leaders over delays in storm-related aid and embraced President Barack Obama when he toured damaged areas.

Buono was elected to the Senate in 2001 after serving three terms in the state Assembly and the Metuchen town council. She rose to Senate majority leader before losing the post two years ago amid Democratic party infighting.

Wide Lead

Christie led Buono 64 percent to 30 percent among 1,249 likely voters in a Sept. 19-22 Quinnipiac University survey, which showed the senator making no progress in denting his lead. A third of Democrats backed the governor and 61 percent of women said they would cast ballots to re-elect him, according to the poll, which had a margin of error of 2.8 percentage points.

The governor has brought in $12.6 million for his campaign, including almost $8.1 million in public matching funds, according to state Election Law Enforcement Commission records. His fundraising stops have included an event at the Palo Alto, California, home of Facebook Inc. co-founder Mark Zuckerberg.

Buono has collected $2.1 million, including almost $1.1 million in state funds, since the race started, according to commission figures.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/christie-gay-rights-white/2013/10/08/id/530005#ixzz2hFexvsZM
Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: October 18, 2013, 10:41:12 AM »
Noooo Fat Man.  What is happening to him?   :'(

October 16, 2013
Christie Flips on an Immigration Bill
By LAWRENCE DOWNES

Immigrant advocates heard correctly over the weekend: Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey really does support allowing unauthorized immigrants to pay in-state tuition at his state’s colleges and universities.

That’s what he said in a speech on Saturday night to a Latino group in New Brunswick: “We need to get to work in the state Legislature on things like making sure that there’s tuition equality for everybody in New Jersey.”

He then confirmed his stance in a debate Tuesday night with his Democratic opponent in his race for re-election, State Senator Barbara Buono. He said he supported the Tuition Equality Act, a stalled bill in Trenton that would help make higher education affordable to students living here illegally.

This is a big reversal for Mr. Christie, who used to take the standard Republican line opposing such benefits, even for the young “Dreamers” who were brought here illegally as children. The shift is so striking that The Star-Ledger of Newark used the words “major” and “drastically” to describe it.

Mr. Christie insists that this was a practical decision that has nothing to do with wooing the Hispanic vote. He says an improving economy means that colleges can now afford to be more generous.

Whatever. Mr. Christie isn’t stupid, and surely knows the benefits of distancing himself from his party’s extremism on immigration and other issues. It may well have dawned on him that hostility to immigrants is a millstone around his party’s grand old neck. And that he is well-positioned to be a prominent member of a pretty small group: Republican non-zealots who are willing to govern and to find practical solutions to problems, even supposedly toxic ones like immigration.

Now, if only he could realize that the powerful arguments for tuition equality apply to marriage equality as well. But Mr. Christie’s evolution hasn’t reached that point yet.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/16/christie-flips-on-an-immigration-bill/?_r=0

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #214 on: October 18, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »
Obviously the fat tub of lard is eyeing a presidential run. As if he even has a chance.

The flip flopper has officially evolved into a RINO.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #215 on: October 18, 2013, 12:59:49 PM »
I don't like everything he has been doing, but I still like him.  I'll wait to see who is running in 2016.  I'll vote for whomever I think is the best candidate, regardless of party. 

True, no perfect candidates, but we've learned a lot about him now and I'm really thinking he's not someone we want on the national stage.

I generally like middle of the road candidates, but he seems more like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #216 on: October 18, 2013, 01:57:08 PM »

True, no perfect candidates, but we've learned a lot about him now and I'm really thinking he's not someone we want on the national stage.

I generally like middle of the road candidates, but he seems more like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

I'm really put off by his new stance on giving tuition breaks for illegal aliens. 

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #217 on: October 20, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »
I'm really put off by his new stance on giving tuition breaks for illegal aliens. 

More evidence that he is going to run.  He wants the Hispanic vote.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #218 on: October 20, 2013, 09:58:17 PM »
33 can you please kick this off?   And no fat jokes.   :D

Chris Christie is Fat

Fattie Fat Man

no joke

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
More evidence that he is going to run.  He wants the Hispanic vote.

Supporting things like tuition breaks for illegals isn't going to help him.  He has to get the nomination first.  Fat Man will never make it through the primary if he starts morphing into a liberal. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2013, 06:31:11 PM »
Supporting things like tuition breaks for illegals isn't going to help him.  He has to get the nomination first.  Fat Man will never make it through the primary if he starts morphing into a liberal. 

And if he morphs into a GOP lap dog like Romney did he will lose the bid for president.

Its a tough one.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2013, 06:51:50 PM »
Christie: 'I'm a Damn Good Republican'

LOL...

if it were true, he woudln't have to make such a statement.  We don't see Cruz or Rand trying to convince people they're good republicans. 

He morphed into a liberal long ago.   If he runs against Hilary, it's going go be hard to tell their policies apart.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2013, 09:54:28 AM »
Chris Christie’s yield to same-sex marriage in N.J. seen as a shrewd political ploy
By Cheryl Wetzstein-The Washington Times
Monday, October 21, 2013

In a decision with direct implications for the 2016 Republican presidential race, Gov. Chris Christie ordered his attorney general Monday not to fight a court decision legalizing gay marriage, making New Jersey the nation’s 14th state to recognize same-sex unions.

The capitulation on the hot-button social issue is an about-face for Mr. Christie and may cement his reputation as a pragmatist who fights to win — but shrewdly folds when he sees he has a losing hand, said some political observers. It also may boost the governor’s vote total in his re-election race next month, further burnishing his status as a rare Republican politician who can thrive in a blue state.

SEE ALSO: Eye on re-election or 2016? Chris Christie withdraws appeal of gay marriage ruling
But that same pragmatism may hurt his standing with the GOP political base as Mr. Christie faces a field of more conservative rivals in the 2016 presidential primaries. Social conservatives Monday were condemning Mr. Christie’s decision to call off the fight, allowing the court to essentially overturn the state law against gay marriage.

“Ahead of us is a constitutional crisis,” said Len Deo, president of the New Jersey Family Policy Council.

The New Jersey Supreme Court “allowed a single judge to decide for the entire state what marriage is, treading on both the governor and the legislature in doing so,” said Mr. Deo. There are no provisions for religious exemptions, “meaning we will soon see people threatened with intolerable choices between their consciences and their authorization to minister to the needy or conduct business with the public,” he said.

The state allows same-sex civil unions, but Mr. Christie himself vetoed a gay-marriage bill in February 2012 while calling on the Legislature to let state voters weigh in on the issue through a referendum.

Mr. Christie, heavily favored to win a second term Nov. 5 against his Democratic challenger, state Sen. Barbara Buono, may have expanded his appeal to some blocs in New Jersey with the gay-marriage decision, political observers said. It follows a surprise move by the governor in a debate with Ms. Buono on Wednesday opening the door to offering immigrants living in the country illegally to pay in-state tuition rates at the state’s colleges.

Seeking big win

SEE ALSO: N.J.’s Cory Booker on gay weddings: ‘This is very beautiful’
“I think the governor wants to win with a very big margin,” said Ben Dworkin, political science professor at Rider University and director of the Rebovich Institute for New Jersey Politics.

He said the immigration comments marked a “180-degree turn” from the governor’s previous stance.

The tuition decision may play well in New Jersey, but may “not be the best thing for a Republican running for president,” Mr. Dworkin said.

However, the marriage decision “can still help him” in a presidential run: He can claim that he opposed it until blocked by the courts — and get credit from some gay-marriage supporters because he dropped the appeal, he added.

“It’s a very neat way of threading the needle” on the gay-marriage issue, he said, adding that “in a crowded Republican primary,” Mr. Christie is likely to offer himself as a winner at the polls and an alternative “to the ‘no-compromise’ element of the Republican Party.”

Mr. Christie’s decision is unlikely to win active support within the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) lobby.

“I don’t think we’re about to see the LGBT community organize to raise funds and advance his political ambitions because I think he’s going to continue to say that he doesn’t believe in gay marriage,” said Ruth Mandel, director of the Eagleton Institute of Politics at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey.

. . .

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/21/chris-christies-yield-to-same-sex-marriage-in-nj-s/#ixzz2iTEoam1r

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #223 on: October 28, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »
Doctor: Chris Christie ‘fit to serve’
By KATIE GLUECK | 10/25/13

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is medically “fit to serve” and is working to get his weight in check, his doctor said in a medical report released on Friday.

“He has no medical limitations and is fit to serve as the Governor of the state of New Jersey,” wrote Dr. Rachana Kulkarni, a cardiologist who has taken care of Christie since January 2012.

The Republican, a likely candidate for president in 2016, underwent lap band surgery in February in an attempt to tackle his weight and “has been losing weight steadily since then,” the doctor said.

“After he turned 50, Governor Christie has taken a very proactive role in his health,” Kulkarni wrote. “He is aware of being overweight and has taken several measures to address this issue.”

In addition to the surgery, Kulkarni noted that Christie has “adopted a healthy lifestyle including a healthy diet and regular cardiovascular exercise regimen.”

That program includes working out an hour a day, four days a week, doing both aerobic activity and resistance training. He does that routine without limitations, Kulkarni said.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/doctor-chris-christie-fit-to-serve-98866.html#ixzz2j2uNjy4e

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #224 on: October 28, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »
“It’s a very neat way of threading the needle” on the gay-marriage issue, he said, adding that “in a crowded Republican primary,” Mr. Christie is likely to offer himself as a winner at the polls and an alternative “to the ‘no-compromise’ element of the Republican Party.”

Yeah, that whole compromise/RINO/flipping positions/moderate thing worked really well for McCain and Romney when it came to getting the base to show up and vote.

I dont think they should repeat that mistake in 2016.  Give em Rand/Cruz and let's make this a REAL contest for once!  Nobody wants to see Hilary win 40 states over Christie!