Author Topic: The Undeclared War on America's Middle Class (I)  (Read 3160 times)

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
The Undeclared War on America's Middle Class (I)
« on: February 20, 2011, 07:41:27 AM »
Good readin.

Under the guise of free market capitalism, conservative policies have made 80-hour work weeks the norm. Working harder for less money means middle class families are getting screwed.
September 6, 2006  |     LIKE THIS ARTICLE ?
Join our mailing list:
       TAKE ACTIONPetitions by Change.org|Get Widget|Start a Petition � This excerpt is reprinted with permission from Screwed: The Undeclared War Against the Middle Class by Thom Hartmann; Berrett Koehler Publishers, 2006.

You can't be middle class if you earn the minimum wage in America today.

The American dream and the American reality have collided. In America we have always said that if you work hard and play by the rules, you can take care of yourself and your family. But the minimum wage is just $5.15 per hour. With a 40-hour workweek, that comes to a gross income of $9,888 per year. Nobody can support a family, own a home, buy health insurance, or retire decently on $9,888 per year!

What's more, 30 million Americans -- one in four U.S. workers -- make less than $9 per hour, or just $17,280 a year. That's not a living wage either.

The U.S. Census Bureau's statistics for 2004 show the official poverty rate at 12.7 percent of the population, which put the number of people officially living in poverty in the United States at 37 million. For a family of four, the poverty threshold was listed as $19,307. If the head of that family of four were a single mother working full-time for the government-mandated minimum wage, she couldn't even rise above the government's own definition of poverty.

Becoming middle class in America today is like scaling a cliff. Most middle-class Americans are clinging to the edge with their fingernails, trying not to fall. In the 1950s middle-class families could live comfortably if just one parent worked. Today more than 60 percent of mothers with children under six are in the work force. Not only do both parents work but often at least one of those parents works two or more jobs.

Middle class at 80 hours per week

In a 2005 article in the Chicago Tribune, reporters Stephen Franklin and Barbara Rose introduce us to Muyiwa Jaiyeola. Jaiyeola, who is 33 years old, works a 40-hour week as a salesman at a Sears store, then works another 20 hours in the stockroom of a Gap store in downtown Chicago. When Jaiyeola pulled two all-night shifts at his stockroom job in late August, he was able to sleep only two hours in the afternoon, then two more in the morning before going back to his sales job. He hoped to nap during his break in the middle of the night.

Jaiyeola is not hoping to get rich -- he's just trying to pay his bills. Working two jobs at this wage level is what it takes to be middle class these days. And he's not alone. According to Franklin and Rose:

Nearly 7.6 million Americans straddle two or more jobs and must find time to work, sleep and live somewhat contorted lives in a very full 24 hours. According to a 2001 U.S. Labor Department survey, most workplace moonlighters do it because they want or need extra money to pay bills ...
Those who specifically need the extra work to pay bills are most often women who take care of their families, and divorced, widowed or separated workers. For a quarter of the American work force, not only is the American dream not a reality, no part of it is.

Low wages are being paid not only to entry-level workers at places like Wal-Mart and McDonald's but also to adults like Jaiyeola who have work experience. The people being forced to work two jobs to make a living are the heartbeat of our society. They are child-care workers and nursing home workers, janitors and security guards, salespeople and stockers. They often have the most hazardous jobs, the late-night jobs -- the jobs that rarely include benefits.

Americans have traditionally believed in an economy where those who make a contribution are rewarded. A man like Jaiyeola should be able to work eight hours at Sears and then go home.

Low prices, low paycheck

Cons argue that we have to choose between having high wages and having low prices. They are wrong.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: The Undeclared War on America's Middle Class (I)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 07:47:03 AM »
How bizarre.  Seriously - the minimum wage is not meant to afford a middle class lifestyle.  If mcdonalds has to charge 9 dollars for a big mac - guess what will happen? 

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:49:10 AM »
How bizarre.  Seriously - the minimum wage is not meant to afford a middle class lifestyle.  If mcdonalds has to charge 9 dollars for a big mac - guess what will happen?  

You're not reading.

A marginal increase in prices brings about a proportional greater amount in wages.

The only problem is that those wages are stolen, literally, from the American worker and redistributed to the top 5% of the company or/and the American elites.

That's why, in this environment, Unions are good.

Your choice.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 07:50:44 AM »
My choice is that if you don't like it - start your own business and stfu.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 07:51:40 AM »

lol.  Yeah, this.   :)

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 07:55:11 AM »

Fuck you asshole!

Get a fucking real job, one that adds value to the economy, and stop posting shit every 2 minutes.

Do you think we're fucking stupid??

We're the fucking victims!

If it wasn't for unions my little kid would be doing a 40-hour shift at a factory somewhere.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 07:59:04 AM »
Cry me a river, that leftist clap trap is old, tired, discredited, and pure nonsense. 

As we are going, your kid won't have any job at all and a massive debt to pay off. 

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:00:22 AM »
Cry me a river, that leftist clap trap is old, tired, discredited, and pure nonsense. 

As we are going, your kid won't have any job at all and a massive debt to pay off. 

And the debt is due to the Unions???

Dude, are you for fucking real???

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:10:29 AM »
How bizarre.  Seriously - the minimum wage is not meant to afford a middle class lifestyle.  If mcdonalds has to charge 9 dollars for a big mac - guess what will happen? 

it means a lot of getbiggers are going to be losing some weight.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:17:30 AM »
Fast food jobs are not meant for middle class people, they are for teens, people entering the workforce, part time work, and to get people some work history. 

Also, flooding this nation with third world peasants has grossly kep the wage pressures down, but of course far leftists like slapper never see that connection. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 08:47:16 AM »
Fuck you asshole!

Get a fucking real job, one that adds value to the economy, and stop posting shit every 2 minutes.

Do you think we're fucking stupid??

We're the fucking victims!

If it wasn't for unions my little kid would be doing a 40-hour shift at a factory somewhere.
NOOOO, youre not the victim and if you are then stop being one...

go out start your own business assume ALL THE RISK and then you can determine how to pay your employees...

all you do is bitch about your current situation and do NOTHING to remedy it...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 09:04:55 AM »
Why not make the min wage 50 and hour.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 09:13:13 AM »
Why not make the min wage 50 and hour.

If a guy working at the Gap stockroom should be able to work 8 hours a day and live a middle class lifestyle then I should be a millionare with my skillset. Sounds good to me.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 09:18:23 AM »
If a guy working at the Gap stockroom should be able to work 8 hours a day and live a middle class lifestyle then I should be a millionare with my skillset. Sounds good to me.
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAH classic...

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAH classic...

Hey dont laugh, that Gap shelf organizer is producing..........somet hing.

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 10:38:13 AM »
Good readin.

Under the guise of free market capitalism, conservative policies have made 80-hour work weeks the norm. Working harder for less money means middle class families are getting screwed.
September 6, 2006  |     LIKE THIS ARTICLE ?
Join our mailing list:
       TAKE ACTIONPetitions by Change.org|Get Widget|Start a Petition � This excerpt is reprinted with permission from Screwed: The Undeclared War Against the Middle Class by Thom Hartmann; Berrett Koehler Publishers, 2006.

You can't be middle class if you earn the minimum wage in America today.

The American dream and the American reality have collided. In America we have always said that if you work hard and play by the rules, you can take care of yourself and your family. But the minimum wage is just $5.15 per hour. With a 40-hour workweek, that comes to a gross income of $9,888 per year. Nobody can support a family, own a home, buy health insurance, or retire decently on $9,888 per year!

What's more, 30 million Americans -- one in four U.S. workers -- make less than $9 per hour, or just $17,280 a year. That's not a living wage either.

The U.S. Census Bureau's statistics for 2004 show the official poverty rate at 12.7 percent of the population, which put the number of people officially living in poverty in the United States at 37 million. For a family of four, the poverty threshold was listed as $19,307. If the head of that family of four were a single mother working full-time for the government-mandated minimum wage, she couldn't even rise above the government's own definition of poverty.

Becoming middle class in America today is like scaling a cliff. Most middle-class Americans are clinging to the edge with their fingernails, trying not to fall. In the 1950s middle-class families could live comfortably if just one parent worked. Today more than 60 percent of mothers with children under six are in the work force. Not only do both parents work but often at least one of those parents works two or more jobs.

Middle class at 80 hours per week

In a 2005 article in the Chicago Tribune, reporters Stephen Franklin and Barbara Rose introduce us to Muyiwa Jaiyeola. Jaiyeola, who is 33 years old, works a 40-hour week as a salesman at a Sears store, then works another 20 hours in the stockroom of a Gap store in downtown Chicago. When Jaiyeola pulled two all-night shifts at his stockroom job in late August, he was able to sleep only two hours in the afternoon, then two more in the morning before going back to his sales job. He hoped to nap during his break in the middle of the night.

Jaiyeola is not hoping to get rich -- he's just trying to pay his bills. Working two jobs at this wage level is what it takes to be middle class these days. And he's not alone. According to Franklin and Rose:

Nearly 7.6 million Americans straddle two or more jobs and must find time to work, sleep and live somewhat contorted lives in a very full 24 hours. According to a 2001 U.S. Labor Department survey, most workplace moonlighters do it because they want or need extra money to pay bills ...
Those who specifically need the extra work to pay bills are most often women who take care of their families, and divorced, widowed or separated workers. For a quarter of the American work force, not only is the American dream not a reality, no part of it is.

Low wages are being paid not only to entry-level workers at places like Wal-Mart and McDonald's but also to adults like Jaiyeola who have work experience. The people being forced to work two jobs to make a living are the heartbeat of our society. They are child-care workers and nursing home workers, janitors and security guards, salespeople and stockers. They often have the most hazardous jobs, the late-night jobs -- the jobs that rarely include benefits.

Americans have traditionally believed in an economy where those who make a contribution are rewarded. A man like Jaiyeola should be able to work eight hours at Sears and then go home.

Low prices, low paycheck

Cons argue that we have to choose between having high wages and having low prices. They are wrong.

if obama/dems gave a shit about the middle class they would stop destroying business incentives and blowing our tax money on entitlements for people who spend their days smoking newports on their front porch and beating their malnourished children.

but we don't want to talk about that now do we, liberal?  ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 10:49:26 AM »
Hey dont laugh, that Gap shelf organizer is producing..........somet hing.
hey im down with it, if the fry guy at mcdonalds deserves to be middle class then i think i should be able to retire right now...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 10:59:38 AM »

go out start your own business assume ALL THE RISK and then you can determine how to pay your employees...

Word.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »
This thread is a prime of example of why most liberals are morons with no conception of economics. Nobody deserves anything. Businesses exist to make money, not advance ass backward social agendas. Until libs come to grips with this fact, having an intelligent conversation about financial matters with them is a waste of time. I prefer to insult them instead. Slapper you are, and always have been a mindless, pathetic, fuckwad.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 11:06:45 AM »
This thread is a prime of example of why most liberals are morons with no conception of economics. Nobody deserves anything. Businesses exist to make money, not advance ass backward social agendas. Until libs come to grips with this fact, having an intelligent conversation about financial matters with them is a waste of time. I prefer to insult them instead. Slapper you are, and always have been a mindless, pathetic, fuckwad.

Not all of them, but there are a number of them with warped realities. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 08:53:29 AM »

lololol.  This post put Slapper into a total meltdown.  Nice, 33.

8)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 06:40:11 PM »

lololol.  This post put Slapper into a total meltdown.  Nice, 33.

8)
i agree.. he asked for it with a thread like that.  reality-1, liberal-0

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 06:44:39 PM »
haha, it's hopeless, yes the unions caused the world wide financial meltdown  ::). Get used to a world with no options as the elite slowly remove all the roadways to the top.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 06:57:42 PM »
haha, it's hopeless, yes the unions caused the world wide financial meltdown  ::). Get used to a world with no options as the elite slowly remove all the roadways to the top.
yup its the rich man thats holding you down gcb...blame others for your misfortunes dont own up to your own mistakes and lack of effort/ambition...

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »
yup its the rich man thats holding you down gcb...blame others for your misfortunes dont own up to your own mistakes and lack of effort/ambition...

good luck starting your business on minimum wage ... yeah that'll make it easier for everyone to get ahead.