Author Topic: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President  (Read 72449 times)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
Re: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2011, 11:12:43 PM »
South Carolina debate was actually pretty decent.  They all did a good job.  Some comments on each:

Pawlenty:  Probably the most “presidential” of the group.  Liked what I heard across the board.  First time seeing him debate.  I like him.  

Santorum:  Better than I expected.  Has zero chance to win the nomination.    

Johnson: Decent job.  Has sort of an effeminate mannerism, particularly for the tough athlete he is.  Two things that will prevent him from getting off the ground:  (1) he supports amnesty for illegal workers; wants to give them work visas; and (2) he is pro abortion until viability.  He will not crack double digits IMO.    

Cain:  Really like him.  His answers were a little disjointed at times, but he is someone who knows how to lead.  Straight talk.  If we’re going to put a businessman with no political experience in the White House, I’d take this guy any day of the week over Trump.

Paul:  He did O.K.  He is essentially a one-issue candidate: the economy.  He's good on that issue.  Not so hot on other issues, especially national defense and the military.  

Agree with most here.  I hate to say it but Santorum is too religiously based to win.  Cain did really good but I feel like the American people won't respond to someone who has a little bit of entertainment value and he's not the most charismatic.  I actually thought RP did fantastic.  Loved almost everything he was saying.  That's hard to admit as I haven't been a big fan of his. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2011, 05:16:12 AM »
South Carolina debate was actually pretty decent.  They all did a good job.  Some comments on each:

Pawlenty:  Probably the most “presidential” of the group.  Liked what I heard across the board.  First time seeing him debate.  I like him.  

Santorum:  Better than I expected.  Has zero chance to win the nomination.    

Johnson: Decent job.  Has sort of an effeminate mannerism, particularly for the tough athlete he is.  Two things that will prevent him from getting off the ground:  (1) he supports amnesty for illegal workers; wants to give them work visas; and (2) he is pro abortion until viability.  He will not crack double digits IMO.    

Cain:  Really like him.  His answers were a little disjointed at times, but he is someone who knows how to lead.  Straight talk.  If we’re going to put a businessman with no political experience in the White House, I’d take this guy any day of the week over Trump.

Paul:  He did O.K.  He is essentially a one-issue candidate: the economy.  He's good on that issue.  Not so hot on other issues, especially national defense and the military.  

ROFLMAO at the South Carolina joke.  Obama will eviscerate these schmucks.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2011, 05:18:34 AM »
 ::)  ::)

Ron Paul & Cain would easily beat obama.   By next year, with the economy still in the toilet, bama is gone.   

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2011, 05:20:27 AM »
::)  ::)

Ron Paul & Cain would easily beat obama.   By next year, with the economy still in the toilet, bama is gone.   
I know you don`t really believe that.  A pizza man and a man who wants to get rid of all the Intelligence services in the United States.  Oh brother, that oughta go over well.  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2011, 05:22:49 AM »
I know you don`t really believe that.  A pizza man and a man who wants to get rid of all the Intelligence services in the United States.  Oh brother, that oughta go over well.  ::)

Herman Cain embarassed Bill Clinton.   I'll bump it for you.   

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2011, 05:27:44 AM »
Herman Cain embarassed Bill Clinton.   I'll bump it for you.   
I`m sure Bill Clinton loses sleep over some no name.  ::)

Come on, your party is in the toilet and there is little hope for it unless you dig up someone who has the bona fides.  Ron Poop is about the best they can do and the GOP does not like him so that leaves you with nothing.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2011, 05:28:52 AM »
I`m sure Bill Clinton loses sleep over some no name.  ::)

Come on, your party is in the toilet and there is little hope for it unless you dig up someone who has the bona fides.  Ron Poop is about the best they can do and the GOP does not like him so that leaves you with nothing.

I want Christie/West as a first choice, but that is not going to happen.   

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2011, 05:40:44 AM »
I want Christie/West as a first choice, but that is not going to happen.   
Bolton would be the GOP`s strongest candidate.  He is a hawk, but he is not that irrational.  Do you not like him?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2011, 05:42:16 AM »
Bolton would be the GOP`s strongest candidate.  He is a hawk, but he is not that irrational.  Do you not like him?

I think Bolton is awesome.   I listen to him on the Batchelor show and other radio shows all the time.   I would be thrilled to vote for him, but I dont think people are going to vote for Col. Mustard.   

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2011, 05:49:11 AM »
I think Bolton is awesome.   I listen to him on the Batchelor show and other radio shows all the time.   I would be thrilled to vote for him, but I dont think people are going to vote for Col. Mustard.   
I`ve seen many interviews with Bolton and caught him on Bill Maher several times and found him to at least have a defined world view, realizes the religious nonsense is polluting the GOP on social issues (he is an atheist) and is all about military strength.  He is the total opposite of a Sarah Palin and Bachmann in that he is also pretty intelligent and would never get caught in petty nonsense like they always do.  In fact, he think both are morons. haha

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2011, 10:26:17 PM »
ROFLMAO at the South Carolina joke.  Obama will eviscerate these schmucks.

No he won't, because none of them is likely the nominee, with the possible exception of Pawlenty. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2011, 10:47:17 AM »
Huntsman makes debut as possible White House candidate
By: CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby

Columbia, South Carolina (CNN) - In a commencement address Saturday at the University of South Carolina, his first public appearance since returning from Beijing to explore a Republican presidential bid, former ambassador to China Jon Huntsman painted his service in the Obama administration as a patriotic duty.

"Give back, as much as you're able," Huntsman told more than 11,000 graduates of the USC College of Arts and Sciences in Columbia. "Work to keep America great. Serve her, if asked. I was, by a president of a different political party. But in the end, while we might not all be of one party, we are all part of one nation, a nation that needs your generational gift of energy and confidence."

The speech was one of two commencement addresses Huntsman has scheduled in key primary states as he considers a White House bid, which GOP insiders believe is all-but-certain. He is also slated to speak to graduates of Southern New Hampshire University on May 21.

But while Huntsman sidestepped political talk in his remarks Saturday, his two-day visit to South Carolina was unmistakably designed to plant the seeds for a presidential campaign.
Huntsman was accompanied at the speech by several of his top political advisers, including the California-based advertising guru Fred Davis.

And Friday, Huntsman had a series of meetings in Columbia with local Republicans and a private sit-down with South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, whose endorsement is being sought by every Republican in the field.

Questioned about his timeline for deciding on a bid following the meeting, Huntsman told reporters that "things are moving pretty quickly." When asked if he thinks the Republican field is ready for a new candidate, he said "there is always room for a new voice."

He echoed that sentiment on Saturday in his remarks, previewing what could be a campaign message.

"Our system needs new thinking," said Huntsman, who was twice elected governor of Utah before being appointed to the China post by President Obama in early 2009. "We need a fresh generation of innovators, leaders, risk takers, entrepreneurs, scientists, and activists."

Highlighting his foreign policy credentials, Huntsman rejected suggestions that the United States is falling behind China in the global economy.

"I know there are many in China who think their time has come, that America's best days are over," Huntsman said. "And, there are probably some in this country who have lost confidence and think that China is the next best thing. But these people aren't seeing things from my earlier vantage point of 10,000 miles away. The real test of a nation is not how well it does when times are good, but how well it does when times are tough. The way I saw it from overseas, America's passion remains as strong today as ever."

Huntsman, a keyboard player who rides a motorcycle, also sought to position himself as something of a hipper alternative to the candidates currently gunning for the Republican nomination.
He recalled how he kept his hair "Rod Stewart-shaggy" and wore "super skinny jeans" in his high school days, when he played in a rock band called Wizard.

"Wizard didn't make it, but I will never regret following my passion," he said. "Sometimes we take America for granted, sometimes we forget that we have the freedom to pursue any passion while many in this world do not."

He concluded his speech with a line from the band Ben Folds Five and told the graduates, "Never forget to rock n' roll."

Huntsman will spend the next week in Florida, Pennsylvania, New York and Washington, D.C. meeting with Republican leaders and donors.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/07/huntsman-makes-debut-as-possible-white-house-candidate/#more-158304

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2011, 07:34:01 PM »
Interested to hear this guy speak. 

Huntsman impresses GOP heavyweights in key early primary state

Columbia, South Carolina (CNN) – Former Ambassador to China Jon Huntsman told a room of South Carolina Republicans on Saturday that he could finalize his thinking about the GOP presidential race before the month is out, multiple sources present for the closed-door meeting told CNN.

One of those in the room, state Rep. Alan Clemmons, tweeted during the meeting that Huntsman said he "will be deciding over the next two to three weeks whether there is critical mass" to mount a White House campaign.

That account was confirmed to CNN by four other Republicans invited to the meeting.

Clemmons, who backed former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney during his 2008 presidential bid, was one of roughly 40 influential Republican leaders and donors in the key early primary state invited to meet Huntsman at the Palmetto Club in downtown Columbia.

A roster of state GOP heavy-hitters showed up for the confab, including state Ports Authority Chairman Bill Stern, Attorney General Alan Wilson, former Attorney General Henry McMaster, House Majority Leader Kenny Bingham, state Treasurer Curtis Loftis, state Sen. John Courson, Columbia attorney Kevin Hall and Palmetto Family Council President Oran Smith. Huntsman also met privately with Gov. Nikki Haley on Friday.

Huntsman convened the Saturday meeting after delivering a morning commencement speech at the University of South Carolina, his first public appearance since returning from Beijing to explore a potential Republican presidential bid.

Before the meeting, Huntsman and his wife lunched with one of the state's top legislators, state House Speaker Bobby Harrell.

He also revealed to a handful of Republicans that he dined with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a fellow rock music enthusiast and potential presidential contender, earlier this week in New York.
And Huntsman will have dinner next week with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, an aide confirmed to CNN.

Huntsman focused his remarks on his family, his tenure in China and his accomplishments as governor of Utah and received glowing reviews from several Republicans in the room, who spoke anonymously because they did not want to be named discussing a private meeting.

"The consensus was, 'Holy crap this guy looks like a president,'" said one person who was there. "I have never seen anybody sweep into this state so quickly so fast and get as much accomplished in 48 hours as Huntsman has done."

Huntsman is being advised by several veteran political operatives who managed Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign in 2008, but many of those at the meeting supported opposing candidates during the last presidential race, including Romney, Huckabee and former Sen. Fred Thompson.

Huntsman, it seems, managed to make a good impression among those still looking for a candidate to support in 2012.

"From my conversations with a few others in attendance and glances around the room, his remarks were well-received," another Republican source told CNN. "One person who had never met him before remarked, 'I liked him better than anyone I've seen.'"

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/07/huntsman-impresses-gop-heavyweights-in-key-early-primary-state/#more-158328

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2011, 07:36:40 PM »
Interested to hear this guy speak. 

Huntsman impresses GOP heavyweights in key early primary state

Columbia, South Carolina (CNN) – Former Ambassador to China Jon Huntsman told a room of South Carolina Republicans on Saturday that he could finalize his thinking about the GOP presidential race before the month is out, multiple sources present for the closed-door meeting told CNN.

One of those in the room, state Rep. Alan Clemmons, tweeted during the meeting that Huntsman said he "will be deciding over the next two to three weeks whether there is critical mass" to mount a White House campaign.

That account was confirmed to CNN by four other Republicans invited to the meeting.

Clemmons, who backed former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney during his 2008 presidential bid, was one of roughly 40 influential Republican leaders and donors in the key early primary state invited to meet Huntsman at the Palmetto Club in downtown Columbia.

A roster of state GOP heavy-hitters showed up for the confab, including state Ports Authority Chairman Bill Stern, Attorney General Alan Wilson, former Attorney General Henry McMaster, House Majority Leader Kenny Bingham, state Treasurer Curtis Loftis, state Sen. John Courson, Columbia attorney Kevin Hall and Palmetto Family Council President Oran Smith. Huntsman also met privately with Gov. Nikki Haley on Friday.

Huntsman convened the Saturday meeting after delivering a morning commencement speech at the University of South Carolina, his first public appearance since returning from Beijing to explore a potential Republican presidential bid.

Before the meeting, Huntsman and his wife lunched with one of the state's top legislators, state House Speaker Bobby Harrell.

He also revealed to a handful of Republicans that he dined with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a fellow rock music enthusiast and potential presidential contender, earlier this week in New York.
And Huntsman will have dinner next week with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, an aide confirmed to CNN.

Huntsman focused his remarks on his family, his tenure in China and his accomplishments as governor of Utah and received glowing reviews from several Republicans in the room, who spoke anonymously because they did not want to be named discussing a private meeting.

"The consensus was, 'Holy crap this guy looks like a president,'" said one person who was there. "I have never seen anybody sweep into this state so quickly so fast and get as much accomplished in 48 hours as Huntsman has done."

Huntsman is being advised by several veteran political operatives who managed Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign in 2008, but many of those at the meeting supported opposing candidates during the last presidential race, including Romney, Huckabee and former Sen. Fred Thompson.

Huntsman, it seems, managed to make a good impression among those still looking for a candidate to support in 2012.

"From my conversations with a few others in attendance and glances around the room, his remarks were well-received," another Republican source told CNN. "One person who had never met him before remarked, 'I liked him better than anyone I've seen.'"

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/07/huntsman-impresses-gop-heavyweights-in-key-early-primary-state/#more-158328
Don`t worry,

Huntsman is way too intelligent for the GOP, especially for the tea party types.  Its too bad because he is miles ahead of all the schmucks that you and the rest here seem to rally around.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2011, 07:38:23 PM »
Don`t worry,

Huntsman is way too intelligent for the GOP, especially for the tea party types.  Its too bad because he is miles ahead of all the schmucks that you and the rest here seem to rally around.

I haven't rallied around anyone.   ::)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2011, 07:39:37 PM »
I haven't rallied around anyone.   ::)
Huntsman is not a bad choice so can you at least try to support him rather than the other lunatics.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2011, 07:43:21 PM »
Huntsman is not a bad choice so can you at least try to support him rather than the other lunatics.

I'll likely support whomever is running against Obama. 

I'm listening to some clips of Huntsman.  He sounds good. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »
Why is he running?  He sent two love letters to bama for gods sake!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2011, 06:06:16 AM »
I've been talking about huntsman as the guy obama is most worried about for 2 years now.

Trump sent love letters to Pelosi and you didn't care ;)
Trump praised obama in his book and you didn't care ;)

Why the huntsman hate?  The guy's worth billions, he is smart as a whip, experienced with chinese finance, and didn't jump to help obama - his president asked him to take a highly important position in international finance to serve his country, and he accepted.  And he offered him that job partially because he was so scared of him for 2012...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2011, 06:18:37 AM »
I've been talking about huntsman as the guy obama is most worried about for 2 years now.

Trump sent love letters to Pelosi and you didn't care ;)
Trump praised obama in his book and you didn't care ;)

Why the huntsman hate?  The guy's worth billions, he is smart as a whip, experienced with chinese finance, and didn't jump to help obama - his president asked him to take a highly important position in international finance to serve his country, and he accepted.  And he offered him that job partially because he was so scared of him for 2012...

And he speaks fluent Mandarin...but he is also a religious nutcase, unfortunately.
I hate the State.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2011, 06:28:18 AM »
And he speaks fluent Mandarin...but he is also a religious nutcase, unfortunately.

fluent mandarin, that is mindboggling.

obama is not scared of trump or palin.  he's scared of this guy.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2011, 06:33:04 AM »
fluent mandarin, that is mindboggling.

obama is not scared of trump or palin.  he's scared of this guy.

And he speaks the local Taiwan dialect as well....he did live there after all, but he has too many negatives beyond this.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »

They're all flawed in some way.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2011, 03:42:46 PM »

What makes him a "religious nutcase"?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »
What makes him a "religious nutcase"?

Huntsman's maternal grandfather David B. Haight was an Apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, of which Huntsman and his family are also members.

There is no such thing as 'Mormon light'.
I hate the State.