Author Topic: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President  (Read 72446 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Re: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2011, 06:12:56 PM »
Personally, I prefer his sweet talk over Obama's divisive political war rhetoric. You know, things like..
"You fired up!!!?? Ready to go??!!!

Or how about when he told Republicans to "Go for it!!!!" when talking about repealing healthcare.

Or how about "GET IN THIER FACE!!!!"

!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2011, 07:09:50 PM »
Likely 2012 Candidates Pile on Obama Over Budget Speech
Published April 13, 2011
FoxNews.com

Though Republican candidates have been slow to formally enter the 2012 presidential race, the reaction to President Obama's budget speech Wednesday should leave no doubt the race for the White House is under way.

Several likely, but undeclared, GOP candidates were swift to condemn the president's plan. Obama vowed to cut $4 trillion from the deficit over 12 years, through a combination of spending cuts and tax hikes on high-income Americans.

"Today's speech was nothing more than window dressing," former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty said in a statement.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who just launched an exploratory committee and is positioning himself as the business-savvy alternative to Obama, went directly after the president's plan to raise taxes.

"President Obama's proposals are too little, too late. Instead of supporting spending cuts that lead to real deficit reduction and true reform of Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, the president dug deep into his liberal playbook for 'solutions' highlighted by higher taxes," Romney said.

Other potential candidates took to Twitter to express their outrage, mostly on taxes.

"President Obama doesn't get it: The fear of higher taxes tomorrow hurts job creation today," Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour tweeted.

"Unbelievable -- President Obama blaming deficit on tax cuts! We do NOT have a revenue problem; we have a spending problem," wrote Gary Johnson, the former New Mexico governor who is expected to soon throw his hat in the ring.

Even the California Republican Party weighed in, accusing the president of trying to "tax our way out of deficit."

Obama made reference to the 2012 candidates in his address at George Washington University, noting that they were championing the GOP budget proposal outlined by Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis.

He challenged that proposal as unfair to seniors and the poor, and said he wanted to take a more balanced approach by rolling back the Bush tax cuts on those making above $250,000. He acknowledged the political difficulty in doing so.

"Without even looking at a poll, my finely honed political instincts tell me that almost nobody believes they should be paying higher taxes," Obama said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/13/likely-2012-candidates-pile-obama-budget-speech/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2011, 07:32:25 PM »
That speech was embarrassingly bad.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2011, 09:20:21 PM »
I like Trump and Cain.....both business savy.....and not career politicians.

They have practical real life knowledge.....unlike Nobama.....who is a sleazy car salesman

We need someone who will lead this country back to greatness....Nobama sold himself as a someone who would lead this nation and not play Washington politics....all the man has done is play Washington politics.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »
He will not win a single primary IMO. 

Santorum announces presidential exploratory committee
By: CNN Political Unit

Washington (CNN) - Former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania took his first official step toward running for president Wednesday, announcing the formation of a presidential exploratory committee.

"In 2008 Americans wanted a president who they could believe in, but after two years they realized that what they needed is a president who believes in them," Santorum said in a statement. "It's time for America to be America again - an America that rewards innovation and hard work, that stands by our allies instead of our enemies, that protects even the most vulnerable of our society, and an America that says every life is to be cherished. That is what I believe in, and that's why I'm taking this next step in a possible run for president."

The filing with the IRS allows him to raise federal political contributions while he explores an official run for the White House in 2012, but his move stopped short of filing with the Federal Election Committee.
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, like Santorum, announced his intention to explore a presidential run last month without officially filing with the FEC.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, former Godfather's Pizza CEO Herman Cain and former Louisiana Gov. Buddy Roemer have established presidential exploratory committees with the FEC.

Santorum has made dozens trips in the last two years to the early presidential primary and caucus states and will return to the first-in-the-nation primary state of New Hampshire Thursday to deliver a policy address at New England College in Henniker.

Polls over the past year indicate that Santorum registers in the low single digits nationally among Republican voters when it comes to the choice for their party's next presidential nominee. But, due in part to his strong opposition to abortion rights, Santorum remains popular with many socially conservative voters who have long had an influential role in the GOP primary process. This past weekend Santorum made headlines by winning a much-watched straw poll at the Greenville County, South Carolina, Republican convention.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/13/santorum-announces-presidential-exploratory-committee/#more-154345

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2011, 12:28:01 PM »
I loathe Santorum.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2011, 12:31:16 PM »
He will not win a single primary IMO. 

No, but he'll be a factor in that he'll peel 4 or 5% of the votes from similar candidates.

He'll cut up that tea party vote a little bit.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
 :-\

Huntsman caught calling Obama a 'remarkable leader'
By: CNN Political Unit

Washington (CNN) - A source associated with Jon Huntsman's potential campaign for the Republican presidential nomination is brushing off a newly revealed letter from the outgoing U.S. ambassador to China that praises President Barack Obama as a "remarkable leader."

The letter, acquired by the conservative media website The Daily Caller from an unnamed source, was handwritten by Huntsman on August 16, 2009.

"You are a remarkable leader," Huntsman writes in the note, adding an underline to the word "remarkable." "[And] it has been a great honor getting to know you."

The effuse praise of the president is likely to haunt Huntsman should he decide to mount a Republican presidential bid later this year. Huntsman, the former governor of Utah who is scheduled to leave his ambassador post at the end of this month, has already faced skepticism from some Republicans that it will be difficult to mount an effective campaign against the man he served dutifully for two years.

But the source close to Huntsman's possible campaign suggested to CNN the leak of the praiseworthy letter is a sign the White House is threatened by Huntsman more than any other Republican.

"Need further proof the White House fears Jon Huntsman the most? I don't think so," the source said.

Huntsman's praise for politicians who are usually Republican punching bags didn't stop with Obama. In other letters acquired by the Daily Caller, the outgoing Ambassador told former President Bill Clinton, "I have enormous regard for your experience, sense of history and brilliant analysis of world events."

And in the same letter to the former president, he applauds Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for "winning the hearts and minds of the State Dept. bureaucracy – no easy task."

After watching her in action, I can see why," wrote Huntsman. "She is well-read, hard working, personable and has even more charisma than her husband! It's an honor to work with her."

Huntsman has said he will decide on a presidential bid later this spring.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/15/huntsman-caught-calling-obama-a-remarkable-leader/#more-154726

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »
Going nowhere.  He will lay down for bama and easily accept a 49 51 loss.  I'd vote for him no doubt - but we need a sherman tank division vs bama not a softy.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2011, 11:56:13 PM »
no shit... they fear him the most.

if you think obama would rather run against huntsman than trump, you're batshit looony.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2011, 04:41:52 AM »
The american idol - DWTS - media obssessed public is not going to go for huntsman.   They should - but they won't.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2011, 05:48:57 AM »
The american idol - DWTS - media obssessed public is not going to go for huntsman.   They should - but they won't.

They had to pick between two d-bags in 2004.  Bush and Kerry.  The bigger douche was Kerry and he almost won (minus the weird ohio shit). 

33, you can't have it both ways.  Sometimes, you say "everyone hates obama and agrees with me that madoff/vendersloot would be way better".  Then, you say "We need to run an obnoxious polarizing personality to beat him".

Which is it?  IMO, the fact that most sensible repubs are distancing themselves from trump AND palin - and the fact that neither has any sort of political structure - speaks volumes.  They probably aren't running.  Trump's #1 in polls right now.  Look at who else was #1 in 2008.  Freaking Fred Thompson - old, dumb, and crabby - was #1 at one point.  Getbiggers were all like "but but, he has LEADERSHIP qualities"... um, he didn't.

This is just more of that.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2011, 06:20:07 AM »
Ha ha ha ha. Fred thompson was an actor who could barely stay awake. Trump is a businessman who wants to take obama out.  Fine by me. 

I would rather taking a fighting chance w trump than have some boring dweeb lay down and hand barry a second term.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2011, 06:27:24 AM »
Ha ha ha ha. Fred thompson was an actor who could barely stay awake

Yes, but getbiggers were all about "He's the solution for 2008!  He has LEADERSHIP skills!"

Sorry, but Trump is an entertainer WAY more than he's a businessman.  He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, he inherited an empire than nearly crashed twice, and he's a lifetime liberal who has given tons of $ to Reid, Rahm, and others. 

If he wasn't screaming about the birth cert - you'd see him as a POS liberal elitist.  This whole "businessman" thing - sorry, no.  His irrational and immature statements would get any CEO fired.  We should invade this country and take oil?  We should just tell OPEC what to do?  Gimme a break.  The man's a liberal elite who dealt with the likes of kadaffi.  Period.

The fact you're so high on the guy tells me the 2012 repub field is a bucket of shit at the moment :(

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2011, 06:37:50 AM »
No I'm facing reality at this point that tpaw daniels and romeny will get eaten alive and hand barry a second term on a platter - which is exactly what you want.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2011, 07:00:58 AM »
No I'm facing reality at this point that tpaw daniels and romeny will get eaten alive and hand barry a second term on a platter - which is exactly what you want.

this is where the big conflict happens here - I believe 2008 repubs failed because palin was viewed as incompetent.  60% of polled voters agreed.

you don't buy into that.  You think 60% saw her as unqualified as veep - BUT - they all voted jsut cause of her.  To me that is nonsense, but it's where you're coming from.

So I think americans voted against incompetence in 2008, and they'll do it again in 2012.  TPaw and Mittens are both highly competent and dignified/statesmanlike.  Palin and trumps are jokes - and many in their own party agree they shouldn't run. 

but as long as you think palin HELPED in 2008, you'll think trump has the best chance now.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2011, 07:07:01 AM »
Yawn.  Mclame sucked and there was massive bush fatiuge.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2011, 07:17:15 AM »
Yawn.  Mclame sucked and there was massive bush fatiuge.

still... 60% of voters didn't think she was qualified to be veep.  you can't ignore that.  That's 3 out of 5 people walking in, thinking 1 of the 4 candidates didn't belong there.

You actually think that HELPED the repub ticket.  Makes no sense to me.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2011, 07:26:35 AM »
Of course mccain suspending his campaign had nothing to do w it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Of course mccain suspending his campaign had nothing to do w it.

that was an attempt to cancel the VP debate, remember?  Wasn't that part of the deal?  "Let's pause the debate, and reschedule the 3rd one where the VP debate goes"?

The look of frustration on his face, that saturday morning as all the palin vetting was going on, that said it all.  "You lied about the%*^% baby?"   Priceless...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2011, 12:30:03 PM »
I don't think he has a snowball's chance. 

Barbour nabs straw poll victory in South Carolina
By: CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby

Charleston, South Carolina (CNN) – Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour won a presidential straw poll in the pivotal early primary state of South Carolina on Friday night.

The straw poll was conducted by the Charleston County Republican Party at its annual convention. Barbour, fresh off a trip to the first-in-the-nation primary state of New Hampshire, was the only potential 2012 candidate to address the crowd of nearly 200 GOP activists.

Barbour won 22 percent of the 148 votes cast. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney finished second with 12 percent.

In third place with 11 percent was former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, who won another straw poll last weekend in socially conservative Greenville County. Social issues are less influential in Charleston, considered more fiscally conservative territory.

Businessman and television star Donald Trump finished fourth at 10 percent. Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee tied at nine percent, while Texas Rep. Ron Paul and pizza mogul Herman Cain tied at six percent.

Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty took five percent, and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels and former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton rounded out the pack, scraping together only a handful of votes.

Barbour, making his first visit to the South Carolina coast as he lays the groundwork for a possible presidential bid, bonded with the Charleston crowd over the experience of recovering from a devastating hurricane.

For Barbour and Mississippi, it was Hurricane Katrina. For South Carolina, it was Hurricane Hugo, which battered the coast in 1989, killing 26 in the state and leaving 60,000 people homeless.

"People here in Charleston and all up and down the low country understand what it means to be clobbered by a mega-disaster, and what it takes to get back," Barbour said. "Y'all have done it very, very well and gracefully, and I hope that we in Mississippi can do as well."

The governor is making a two-day swing through South Carolina, a state that Barbour's advisers see as key to his presidential hopes should he decide to officially enter the 2012 race.

"If I run, I am going to run to win South Carolina," Barbour promised the audience. "To win South Carolina in my opinion means winning the low country. It means winning this part of South Carolina."

After his appearance at the Charleston convention, Barbour was spotted having a lengthy chat with South Carolina Rep. Tim Scott, a local Tea Party hero and one of two African-American Republicans in Congress.

Barbour arrived in Charleston on Thursday night and spent Friday holding a series of private meetings with area Republicans, including state House Speaker Bobby Harrell. On Saturday, Barbour will attend two county party conventions in and around the state capital of Columbia.
Barbour said Charleston residents repeatedly raised the topic of Katrina with him on Friday.

"People have been bringing it up to me all day," he said. "Brought it up during the day, brought it up at lunch, brought it up at meetings. Someone told me they went to Pass Christian and volunteered."

Also in his speech Friday, Barbour warned darkly that President Obama's management of the economy is more dangerous than any natural disaster.

"Our country faces a crisis that is every bit as dangerous, except it is more pervasive and it will last much longer," he said. "We are recovering from Katrina so that today, five and a half years later, you can see that the Mississippi Gulf Coast is coming back bigger and better than ever. It will take us longer than that to undo the damage that has been done by this administration."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/15/barbour-nabs-straw-poll-victory-in-south-carolina/#more-154788

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2011, 12:32:30 PM »
Boss hog is going nowhere. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2011, 04:14:30 PM »

Latest S.C. straw poll win goes to Ron Paul
By: CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby

Bluffton, South Carolina (CNN) - Texas Rep. Ron Paul won the latest in a string of presidential straw polls being conducted in key South Carolina counties this month ahead of the state Republican Party convention in May.

Paul won the vote at the Lexington County Republican Party convention on Saturday, taking 16 percent of the 139 ballots cast. Lexington is considered a bellwether county in Republican primaries and is home to South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, but the party organization there has seen an uptick in libertarian-leaning Paul supporters in recent years.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who has done almost no presidential spadework in the crucial early primary state, had another respectable straw poll showing and finished in a tie for second place with business mogul Donald Trump, taking 12 percent of the vote.

Romney finished fourth in a Greenville County straw poll last weekend and second in a Friday night vote at the Charleston County convention.

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, who won the Charleston straw poll and attended Saturday's Lexington event in person, finished with 10 percent and tied for fifth with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

Lexington GOP Chairman Rich Bolen also asked party members to pick their second choice for the Republican nomination. Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann won that poll with 18 percent of the vote.

In the grand scheme of presidential campaigns, of course, straw polls are only informal surveys conducted by a relative handful of party activists. But they can be helpful in providing an early read on how the

GOP's most dedicated voters in key primary and caucus states view the 2012 field.

Some straw polls are more informative than others, however.

Heavily Democratic Orangeburg County hosted its GOP convention on Saturday and ran a straw poll with 30 names on the ballot, including several noncandidates such as former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, Michigan Rep. Thaddeus McCotter and House Speaker John Boehner.

But only 25 Republicans attended the convention.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/16/latest-s-c-straw-poll-win-goes-to-ron-paul/#more-154821

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2011, 12:42:58 PM »
Huntsman considers a run for the presidency
By JEFF ZELENY
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Apr 20, 2011

COLUMBIA, S.C. » Three months before President Barack Obama nominated Jon M. Huntsman Jr. as ambassador to China, Huntsman arrived here to introduce himself to three dozen influential Republicans and talk politics with them over dinner at the Palmetto Club.

Huntsman, then serving his second term as governor of Utah and prospecting for his political future, worried aloud that Republicans were growing out of touch with a generation of Americans. If the party wanted to win national elections again, he argued, Republicans needed to broaden their appeal to young voters, Hispanics and independents.

He will put that argument to the test if he joins the 2012 Republican presidential race.

After spending nearly two years as America’s top diplomat in China, Huntsman returns to the United States next week. He has scheduled visits next month here in South Carolina and in New Hampshire, where the Tea Party and social conservatives hold significant sway and have changed the political landscape.

On paper, given his affiliation with Obama, Huntsman would seem to be facing a tough time in a primary where anti-Obama sentiment runs high. But in a crowded field, with many Republicans signaling dissatisfaction with the candidates, his supporters hope he could get beyond short-term challenges with a long-term pitch of electability.

“The stage is set for an attractive new player who can inspire Republicans,” said Richard Quinn, a Republican who attended the dinner with Huntsman here two years ago and intends to support him if he runs. “By the time we get around to voting next year, the one thing that will pull Republicans together is beating Barack Obama.”

A candidacy by Huntsman would test just how frustrated voters are with the party’s lineup and would determine whether there is room in a Republican primary for a fiscal conservative and social moderate, who would present himself as a strong general election choice.

Huntsman has been coy about his intentions. A group of Republican aides, nearly all of whom are alumni of Sen. John McCain’s presidential campaigns, have been working behind the scenes to promote a potential candidacy. They say they have not coordinated with him, which would be a violation of federal law because he is a government employee who cannot engage in elected politics.

In an interview last week in Beijing, Huntsman told a Salt Lake City television station: “While in China, we serve our country. We don’t do politics.” Asked whether he planned to pursue the Republican presidential nomination, he declared, “I don’t know the answer to that yet.”

Huntsman, 51, is a motorcycle-riding, keyboard-playing, Mandarin-speaking Mormon, who worked in the administrations of Ronald Reagan, George Bush and George W. Bush. His family, which owns the Huntsman Corp., a global chemical company, is one of the wealthiest in Utah, worth more than $1 billion, which has only fueled speculation that he could invest his own money into a campaign.

Other Republican candidates are closely watching Huntsman, particularly Mitt Romney. A simmering rivalry came into full view during the 2008 presidential race when Huntsman became a co-chairman of McCain’s campaign, instead of backing Romney, the former Massachusetts governor. (Jon Huntsman Sr., the family patriarch, supported Romney.)

The strategy for Huntsman, if he decides to run, would likely begin in New Hampshire. His supporters believe he should follow a path similar to that taken by McCain: ignore the Iowa caucuses, where social conservatives have a louder voice, and try to compete aggressively in South Carolina, where Romney has struggled to win over voters.

Huntsman would have several disadvantages, including low name recognition among Republicans. Party activists, in conversations at two Republican county conventions here in South Carolina over the weekend, knew little about him. He also has no established donor base and any campaign would start months behind those of rivals.

But some of the groundwork is being quietly done by operatives — without his consent, they say — who have visited donors and asked influential Republicans to sit patiently until he make his plans known.

“I’m just beating the drum and hoping that he runs this cycle and doesn’t wait,” said Fred Davis, a Republican advertising strategist who met with prospective donors last week in Florida. “I’m trying to find someone who is different, who is going to stand out and register in someone’s heart.”

Huntsman’s resume does stand out, in part because of his strong foreign policy credentials. In addition to serving as the ambassador to China, he was ambassador to Singapore for the first President Bush and a deputy trade ambassador for the second.

He opposes abortion rights and his record as a fiscal conservative is solid. But after winning a second term as governor in 2008, he praised the Obama administration’s economic stimulus program, advocated civil unions for gay couples and supported the cap-and-trade system for carbon emissions, all of which drew favorable attention among moderates but criticism from some strict conservatives.

It is unclear how voters will view his relationship with Obama. If some wonder why Huntsman accepted a position in a Democratic administration, others may ask why he is turning against the man who sent him to China. His challenge was underscored late last week, when a letter from the departing ambassador to the president was disclosed by the Daily Caller, a conservative website. “You are a remarkable leader — and it has been a great honor getting to know you,” Huntsman wrote.

John Weaver, a Republican strategist who is among those urging Huntsman to run, said his experience in China only enhanced his credentials. He has organized the Horizon political action committee, which is promoting Huntsman. “If you’re asked by the president of the United States to serve your country in a foreign policy or national security role and you don’t do it,” Weaver said, “that’s disqualifying.”

Huntsman, who recently bought a house in the upscale Kalorama neighborhood of Washington, is scheduled to return to the United States shortly before his resignation takes effect April 30. The next day, he can start conducting political discussions. A campaign operation, complete with a team of fundraisers, researchers and political strategists, is waiting to offer him guidance.

Interviews with nearly a dozen friends and former colleagues in Utah, disclosed that Huntsman is serious about testing a presidential bid over the next few months. They said they expected him to make a final decision by summer.

“He clearly would like to run at some point,” said former Sen. Robert Bennett of Utah, who has known the Huntsman family for years but is supporting Romney. “But he doesn’t have a natural constituency, so forming a political action committee and spreading money around in the 2012 election could be a very smart thing for a politician who wants to run in 2016.”

For his part, Obama has repeatedly mentioned Huntsman’s ties to him.

In a speech at the Gridiron Dinner last month in Washington, the president said he admired all of the potential Republican candidates, but added, “I’m a little biased towards my dear, dear friend Jon Huntsman.”

“As his good friends in China might say, he is truly the yin to my yang,” Obama said with a smile. “And I’m going to make sure that every primary voter knows it.”

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/nyt/Huntsman_considers_a_run_for_the_presidency.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »
Romney beats Obama big in New Hampshire, poll shows
By: CNN Political Producer Alexander Mooney

(CNN) – President Obama is getting some ominous news out of New Hampshire Friday in a new poll that suggests he will lose the key presidential state by a sizable margin if former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is the Republican nominee.

According to the new survey conducted by Dartmouth College, Romney beats the president in a head-to-head matchup by 8 points, 47 percent to 39 percent. Obama's poor showing against Romney is also the product of his weak approval rating in the Granite State, where only 36 percent of voters there give him positive marks. That compares to a 45 percent approval rating for Obama in New Hampshire in a similar poll one year ago.

But it's not all bad news for the president: though losing big to Romney, he soundly defeats every other potential GOP candidate the poll tested, including former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (by 8 points), former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty (by 16 points), Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour (by 19 points), businessman Donald Trump (by 22 points) and former GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin (by 27 points).

Still, Obama's strong showing against those candidates is likely a reflection of their currently poor name identification in the state than his popularity: The president does not pass the 50 percent threshold when pitted against every potential GOP candidate except Palin and Trump, a sign many voters are prepared to vote against the president when they learn more about the other Republican candidates. Obama carried New Hampshire by 9 points over Sen. John McCain in the 2008 general election.

Having previously run for president only four years ago and serving as the governor of neighboring Massachusetts, Romney undoubtedly begins the GOP primary race in New Hampshire with a big advantage. Given his early strength there, it's possible anything besides a win in that state's first-in-the-nation primary would be a blow to his campaign. In 2008, Romney lost the New Hampshire primary by 6 points to McCain.

The Dartmouth poll surveyed 426 registered voters by telephone from April 11-14 and carries a sampling error of plus or minus 5 percent.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/22/romney-beats-obama-big-in-new-hampshire-poll-shows/#more-156193