Author Topic: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President  (Read 72634 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President
« Reply #300 on: August 18, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »
Romney leads, Perry second in New Hampshire poll
By Catalina Camia, USA TODAY

Mitt Romney has a commanding lead for the GOP presidential nomination in New Hampshire, a new poll shows, while Texas Gov. Rick Perry has shot up to second in the crucial first-in-the-nation primary state.

Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, leads the Republican field with 36% compared with 18% for Perry, in the poll for the New Hampshire Journal, an online publication. Perry entered the race last Saturday and, like Romney, is campaigning in the Granite State today.

Texas Rep. Ron Paul finished third with 14%, while Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann was the choice of 10% of the likely GOP primary voters. All other candidates finished in single digits.

Bachmann's victory in last weekend's Iowa straw poll did not make a difference to poll respondents, the survey firm Magellan Data and Mapping Strategies found. More than eight in 10 likely GOP primary voters said the Iowa straw poll results had no impact on their choice for a presidential nominee.

The poll of 613 people was taken Aug. 15-16, after Perry got into the race and the straw poll was conducted in Ames.

NH Journal was founded by several political consultants in the Granite State, and Perry's strategist, Dave Carney, is on the website's board of directors.

In New Hampshire, Romney kept his focus on President Obama and the Democrat's record on creating jobs. He said he's looking forward to the president's upcoming speech on jobs, and noted that topic would be his focus from Day One if he's elected to the White House.

Perry, meanwhile, gained attention when he said he doesn't believe in man-made global warming and that it has not been scientifically proven.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2011/08/mitt-romney-rick-perry-new-hampshire-poll-/1

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #301 on: August 22, 2011, 12:26:04 PM »
Not too late, but it's getting close.

2012 GOP Names Still Floating, But is it Too Late for New Contenders?
Published August 21, 2011
FoxNews.com

Possible GOP candidates like Rep. Paul Ryan and Sarah Palin may be forced to make a decision sooner rather than later.

The field is full, though perhaps not complete, but if any other candidates are thinking of joining the Republican presidential race, they better move quick.

That's the thinking from the sidelines, where strategists, former candidates or could-have-been contenders are offering their take on the 2012 race.

"It's getting a little late in the day. If they don't act within the next couple of weeks, just pragmatically it's tough," said former Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Ind., who has often been on short-lists as presidential or vice presidential material.

Getting into the race late has its ups and downs. A former Arkansas governor by the name of Bill Clinton was the last entry into the Democratic contest in 1991. That worked out for him. Texas Gov. Rick Perry is the most recent to join the nominating contest. The scrutiny has been fierce but the polling looks good.

But an axiom of presidential politics is that a candidate is always strongest the day before his or her official entry into the race. After that, candidates face much closer scrutiny, and if the sheen wears thin, voters begin looking beyond the latest entry to the next potential runner.

For most late entrants, the decision on entering the field comes down to whether their presence is a benefit. Such is the concern facing politicians like New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, 2008 vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, to name a few.

"There's nothing wrong with searching for the best we can do. Right?" asked Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, who decided earlier this year to forego entry to the race. "I think that's what all Americans are hoping for. And my own view has been that although I like all those folks -- there's something to like about each one of them -- that this is a more the merrier situation."

"I put credence in rumblings," said Republican strategist Ed Gillespie. "If you're Paul Ryan; if you're Sarah Palin and you're looking at the dynamics right now, of course you're weighing the possibility of getting in."

Gillespie said one of the factors that could motivate fence sitters to enter is President Obama's 39 percent job approval rating in a recent Gallup poll, the lowest of his presidency.

"If you're a Republican, you're probably thinking, well, in 2016, I can't wait because there's going to be a Republican in the White House and I don't want to run in a primary. So if you're going to ... run for president, it kind of speeds things up a little bit," Gillespie said.

Karl Rove, a senior adviser to former President George W. Bush, said both Paul and Christie have been getting a lot of pressure from influential people around the country, and both at least must be considering getting in the race based on the encouragement they're receiving.

As for Palin, Rove said he'd put cash on that bet.

"I'm not much of a gambler but I'd put a little more money that she gets in than if she doesn't," Rove said, citing her scheduled appearance in Iowa next week and her political action committee's release of a video on Friday that sounded very campaign-oriented.

"It looks like that of candidate, not celebrity," Rove said. "Her difficulty is if she doesn't get in shortly after next week, then I think people are going to basically say she's not in, she won't be in, if she gets in, I'm not going to be for her. You can only tease so many times in the political process, and I think she is getting to the end of that."

Arizona Sen. John McCain, who chose Palin to run with him on the Republican ticket in 2008, said he'd put some credence on Rove's predictions, but he doesn't know her plans.

"That's a decision that is so personal. It has to do with your family, it's got to do with and all of these things. So, it's hard for me to know where Sarah should run or not. I think she would be very formidable," he said.

"I hear, for example, maybe Rudy Giuliani is going to get in the race. I think he would be very formidable," he added.

If Ryan were to enter the race, Daniels said his message would "enrich this debate."

"He understands that an affirmative pro-growth, pro-jobs message that says everything else must take second place to that is the one hope for low-income people in this country," Daniels said. "And he would be a very effective and clear spokesman with a heart for people that I think our party must display." 

But for Bayh, who agrees Paul is "a serious person," his entry may not be so graciously greeted.

"I admire the fact that he's focusing on entitlements, but if he's the nominee, it's going to be a referendum on Social Security and Medicare. And it doesn't help when you have serious publications out there that have said his plan would end Social Security and Medicare as we know it," he said.

With the field possibly still open to newcomers and primary polling cycle still five months away from starting, none of the politicians or strategists could predict who would be the best bet for Republicans or the nation. But they did agree that today's front-runners could easily be tomorrow's toast, and vice versa.

"I remind you that in 2007 at this time I was done, if you might recall," McCain said. "My campaign was doomed. A lot of things are going to happen."

Rove and Bayh were on "Fox News Sunday"; McCain and Gillespie appeared on CBS' "Face the Nation; Daniels was on NBC's "Meet the Press."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/21/2012-gop-names-still-floating-but-is-it-too-late-for-new-contenders/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #302 on: August 24, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »
PPP Poll: Perry Takes Double-Digit Lead Over Romney
Tuesday, 23 Aug 2011

A new poll shows Texas Gov. Rick Perry with a double-digit lead nationally over the current 2012 frontrunner, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

The poll, which will be released Wednesday by Public Policy Polling (PPP), is not being detailed in advance, the New York Post reported. But PPP's Director Tom Jensen confirmed Perry's double-digit advantage to the Post.

It will be the second poll of Republican primary voters by the Democratically-aligned polling company to show Perry with a lead nationally since the three-term Texas governor entered the contest.

A Rasmussen Reports national poll out Aug. 16 showed Perry leading Romney by 11 points, 29 percent to 18 percent.

Before that, Romney led in national polls pretty consistently going back to early 2010.

In Iowa, a separate PPP poll of state Republicans Tuesday found Perry taking the lead from Michele Bachmann, R-Minn. The poll found Perry favored by 22 percent of Iowa Republicans, ahead of Romney's 19 percent and Bachmann's 18 percent.

Still, Romney currently enjoys leads in the early voting states of New Hampshire, Florida and Nevada, while a dearth of recent polling in South Carolina makes it difficult to predict the preferences of Palmetto State voters, commonly assumed to be fertile ground for Perry.

PPP told the Post that Wednesday's release will show that in a head-to-head matchup, Perry trails President Barack Obama 49 percent to 43 percent. Obama benefited from independent voters who favored him by 56 percent to 32 percent.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/poll-perry-leads-romney/2011/08/23/id/408411

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #303 on: August 24, 2011, 07:20:48 PM »
Perry gains big endorsement in Florida
By: CNN's Ashley Killough

(CNN) – Republican Dean Cannon, speaker of the Florida House of Representatives, endorsed Rick Perry Wednesday, highlighting the Texas governor’s record of job creation in the Lone Star State.

“President Obama’s big-government, Washington experiment has cost our nation more than 2.3 million jobs,” said Cannon in a statement. “Meanwhile, since just June 2009, Rick Perry’s Texas is responsible for approximately 40% of the net new jobs in America.”

Cannon is a high-profile Republican in a critical state for the GOP. He’s also involved with picking a date for the Florida primary, which is currently set for January 31, earlier than Republican National Committee rules allow for the primary and caucus season.

The RNC warns that the Sunshine State could lose half its delegates should it violate the rules and hold its primary before March. Florida has until October 1 to make a decision.

Cannon’s endorsement followed recent poll results that showed Perry leading the Republican presidential field in Florida.

In an American Research Group survey from late July – weeks before Perry jumped in the race – the Texas governor came in first place at 16 percent among registered Republicans. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann tied for second in the poll at 15 percent.

“I know that with Speaker Cannon's help, we will win Florida's primary, the Republican nomination, and ultimately, the Presidency," Perry said in a statement Wednesday.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/24/perry-gains-big-endorsement-in-florida/#more-172286

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #304 on: August 24, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »
For me its between Perry and Romney right now. I have Romney ahead of Perry currently. I like Perry, but he needs to show me how he performs in a debate before I put my support to him. That's why I think it is silly to say it is Perry's to lose and that it is already over for Romney. One thing that I really like about Romney is his ability to answer tough penetrating questions that are very critical of him, and his ability to do so in a calm presidential way.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #305 on: August 25, 2011, 09:45:12 AM »
For me its between Perry and Romney right now. I have Romney ahead of Perry currently. I like Perry, but he needs to show me how he performs in a debate before I put my support to him. That's why I think it is silly to say it is Perry's to lose and that it is already over for Romney. One thing that I really like about Romney is his ability to answer tough penetrating questions that are very critical of him, and his ability to do so in a calm presidential way.

Based on the current poll numbers, it's likely to be one of those two, but a lot can happen between now and next Spring. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #306 on: August 25, 2011, 09:47:40 AM »
Romney and Perry have a pretty big lead over Obama in Florida. 

Latest Magellan Poll Has Romney, Perry Leading Obama in Florida
August 23, 2011 | Filed under: Election 2012 | Posted by: Admin
by Lone Shark

Take what you will from the latest poll conducted by Magellan Data and Mapping Strategies which surveyed Floridians about their preferences for the Presidential and Senate races.  I’ll call it a very promising poll for whomever the Republican Presidential nominee as well as whomever is the Republican Senatorial candidate:

Survey of 723 registered voters was conducted August 16-18, 2011. The margin of error is +/- 3.64 percentage points. Party ID breakdown: 42% Democrat; 39% Republican; 19% Independent.

Magellan Strategies (R) Florida 2012 Presidential Survey

Mitt Romney 49%
Barack Obama 39%
Rick Perry 46%
Barack Obama 39%
Michele Bachmann 43%
Barack Obama 42%
Favorable / Unfavorable {Net}

Rick Perry 33% / 30% {+3%}
Mitt Romney 38% / 40% {-2%}
Michele Bachmann 33% / 43% {-10%}
Barack Obama 40% / 55% {-15%}
Do you approve or disapprove of the job Barack Obama is doing as President?

Approve 37%
Disapprove 57%
Do you think that Barack Obama deserves to be re-elected, or do you think that Barack Obama does not deserve to be re-elected?

Deserves to be re-elected 37%
Does not deserve to be re?elected 57%

. . .

http://shark-tank.net/2011/08/23/latest-magellan-poll-has-romney-perry-leading-obama/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #307 on: August 25, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »
I prefer Romney over Perry at this point out of the two. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #308 on: August 25, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »
I don't have an opinion on Perry yet, but the fact a lot of liberals are frothing at the mouth over the guy has me pretty intrigued.   :)

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #309 on: August 25, 2011, 12:54:42 PM »
The thing I am really looking for from Perry is an ability to answer the liberals' distortion of the Texas jobs record and to do so in an articulate way.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #310 on: August 25, 2011, 02:24:41 PM »
I prefer Romney over Perry at this point out of the two. 
but you said you'd take anyone over BO, so it really doesn't matter, does it?
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #311 on: August 25, 2011, 02:27:08 PM »
but you said you'd take anyone over BO, so it really doesn't matter, does it?

I would vote for an AIDS riddled, homeless, dirty, unshowered, bum on a cardboard matt in Penn Station begging for nickles, wearing shoes held together by duck tape, and rambling on about end of the world prophecies over obama. 

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #312 on: August 25, 2011, 02:32:19 PM »
I would vote for an AIDS riddled, homeless, dirty, unshowered, bum on a cardboard matt in Penn Station begging for nickles, wearing shoes held together by duck tape, and rambling on about end of the world prophecies over obama. 
so, yours is not an informed decision..... ;)
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #313 on: August 25, 2011, 09:25:36 PM »
Romney can't take a leak without changing positions on 5 issues.
Perry can't walk past a mirror without smirking, posing with a rifle, and changing positions from his book (last year).

yet Ron Paul "isn't viable"?   Um, okay.

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #314 on: August 25, 2011, 11:22:25 PM »
Mark Taylor was filling in for Dennis Prager on his show yesterday, and he mentioned a problem with Perry that has worried me. He mentioned how in Perry's last debate in 2006, he was debating some real amatuers in Kinky Friedman - a country singer, Carol Keton Streyhorn (the mother of Bush Press Secretary Scott McClellan) , and Steve Bell. Perry held his own but didnt really stand out either. Im concerned how he would do in a debate with Obama. That is why my support is still behind Romney atleast until Perry's first debate.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #315 on: August 26, 2011, 06:25:31 AM »
Mark Taylor was filling in for Dennis Prager on his show yesterday, and he mentioned a problem with Perry that has worried me. He mentioned how in Perry's last debate in 2006, he was debating some real amatuers in Kinky Friedman - a country singer, Carol Keton Streyhorn (the mother of Bush Press Secretary Scott McClellan) , and Steve Bell. Perry held his own but didnt really stand out either. Im concerned how he would do in a debate with Obama. That is why my support is still behind Romney atleast until Perry's first debate.
wow; Dennis Prager.
haven't heard him since switching to SiriusXM
am surprised he is still on the air...
w

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #316 on: August 26, 2011, 06:36:21 AM »
wow; Dennis Prager.
haven't heard him since switching to SiriusXM
am surprised he is still on the air...

Prager is awesome. He is the best radio host out there. He doesnt yell at liberals. He is nice and respectfull to them, but if you read between the lines, you can see that he is basically telling them that they are stupid and why theyre stupid, but he does it in such a nice way that he comes off as condescending. I love it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #317 on: August 26, 2011, 06:45:28 AM »
perry is a lot like Dubya.

Dubya wouldn't have fared well in a debate with obama.

You can say "but but his position on the issues..." and you'd be exactly right.

But the reality is that quick witted people do better in debates.  Obama, for all his socialist liberal policy, is pretty quick witted in debates.  He pwned hilary and edwards and Mccain too. 

Perry is a simp.  he has some good positions (now!) but can he deliver them effectively?  It just takes one befuddled/baffled moment and the country instantly believes a person is a buffoon.  Ask Palin.   We know Mitt won't have those moments (anger seems to be his problem from 08 and today).  But Mitt is quick minded.  So is huntsman.  So is bachmann. 

Is Perry?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #318 on: August 26, 2011, 09:44:54 AM »

I think whomever the nominee is will outperform Obama in debates, but debates don't usually determine the winner on election day. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #319 on: August 26, 2011, 09:47:10 AM »
I think whomever the nominee is will outperform Obama in debates, but debates don't usually determine the winner on election day. 

Obama now has a disastrous record of failure and incompetence he can no longer spin.   big difference from the multitude of lies he told in 2008. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #320 on: August 26, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »

ask nixon/JFK about that one

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #321 on: August 26, 2011, 09:48:10 AM »
Perry Topples Romney as Frontrunner, But Stays on Offense
By James Rosen
Published August 26, 2011
FoxNews.com

It’s official: Mitt Romney is no longer the frontrunner in the GOP presidential primary.

Major reputable poll after major reputable poll, conducted over the last ten days or so, shows Texas Gov. Rick Perry leading the former Massachusetts governor by significant margins.

The polling data suggests not only that Perry survived his early stumbles on the stump – most notably, his suggestions that Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke could be guilty of “treason” if the Fed prints more money, and that Texans would accordingly treat Bernanke “pretty ugly” – but that Perry is, in fact, picking up steam.

The latest Rasmussen Reports poll of likely Republican primary voters, conducted on August 15, shows Perry leading Romney by 11 percentage points. The latest Gallup survey, querying Republicans and Republican-leaning independents between August 17 and August 21, shows Romney trailing Perry by 12 percentage points. Democratic firm Public Policy Polling, which tallied Republican primary voters between August 18 and August 21, put the gap at 13 percentage points.

Yet Thursday found Perry, during a radio appearance on “The Laura Ingraham Show,” still peppering Romney with stiff right jabs, as if it were Perry who is the scrappy underdog.

“I think Mitt is finally recognizing that the Massachusetts health care plan that he passed is a huge problem for him, and yeah, it was not almost perfect,” Perry said on the program. That was a reference to conservative criticism that the plan Romney enacted as governor of Massachusetts was too similar to President Obama’s – and to Romney’s frequent retort on the stump that his plan, while “not perfect,” was narrowly tailored the needs of his state.

Flanked by antique paintings at the Exeter Historical Society in Exeter, N.H. Thursday, Romney kept his attacks focused exclusively on President Obama, whom he accused of implementing “the most anti-businesses, anti-job, anti-investment policies that we have seen since Jimmy Carter.”

“You shouldn't be on the Vineyard playing golf,” Romney said, addressing Mr. Obama directly and referring to the president’s current vacation destination. “You should be doing your job, putting Americans back to work!”

The closest Romney came to addressing the Texas governor now outpacing him in the primary polls was when a teenager asked which of his GOP rivals Romney would be most likely to select as a running mate.

After engendering laughs by asking which of those in attendance had put the youngster up to asking the question, Romney thrust the microphone back at the boy and asked who he would pick. When the youth hesitated and said he didn’t know, Romney again drew laughter by quickly yanking the microphone back and saying: “There’s my answer, too! There you go!”

That exchange followed a testier one a day earlier, between Romney and a hostile female voter in Lebanon, N.H., in which the candidate found himself repeatedly demanding that the woman finish her question and allow him time to respond.

“You had your turn,” Romney said sternly, during a lengthy period of crosstalk. “You had your turn madam! Let me have mine. Let me have mine. Listen, I’ll give you have the microphone in a moment, but let me complete – I’m sorry, it’s my turn. You had yours; now it’s my turn. Would you please hold on a moment and let me finish?”

It remains unclear how willing Romney is to demonstrate the same steeliness against his Republican rivals.

“What Romney has done for most of the month of August is to lay low,” said Darrell West, the vice president and director of Governance Studies at the Brookings Institution. “And it’s always risky in politics to let the other guy dictate the pace of events.”

West said it is equally unclear how well Romney would do even if he made an affirmative decision to attack Perry.

“He's not a pit bull on the campaign trail,” West said in an interview. “He's never been very aggressive about going after rivals. He's done well this year by the fact that he hasn't had to go negative on any of his opponents. In 2008, he actually did most poorly when he did go on the attack.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/25/perry-topples-romney-as-frontrunner-but-stays-on-offense/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #322 on: August 26, 2011, 09:48:38 AM »
Obama now has a disastrous record of failure and incompetence he can no longer spin.   big difference from the multitude of lies he told in 2008.  

he'll have to use a defensive instead of an offensive technique.  But you can spin anything.  Throw any obama position at me, and I can deliver a one-liner that will work on 50% of morons out there.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #323 on: August 26, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »
Perry Topples Romney as Frontrunner, But Stays on Offense
By James Rosen
Published August 26, 2011
FoxNews.com

recently it was Trump up front.  Then it was bachmann leading.  now perry.

Just as with the others, as repubs starts to learn about the experience, past actions, and overall behavior of a person, he can only go down.  Christie would be #1 if he entered the race tomorrow... you give him 6 weeks of opportunities to lose it, look stupid, fall down some steps, have a 'mission accomplished' moment or just plain punch someone, and he's in 3rd suddenly.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #324 on: August 26, 2011, 10:01:49 AM »
Obama now has a disastrous record of failure and incompetence he can no longer spin.   big difference from the multitude of lies he told in 2008. 

He can't possibly run on his record.  I expect him to try and come up with a boogie man (Tea Party, etc.) to try and scare people into voting for him.