Author Topic: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President  (Read 72589 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President
« Reply #475 on: December 06, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »
Given how accurate of a predictor South Carolina has been, this is very bad news for Romney.  

Gingrich Climbs to Top in South Carolina Poll
by Fox News | December 06, 2011

In a new poll of South Carolina Republican primary goers, Newt Gingrich has charged to the top, building a wide margin over Mitt Romney, 38.4 percent to 21.5 percent.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry comes in a distant third with 9 percent of the vote.

The results of the Winthrop Poll -- taken between Nov. 27 and Dec. 4 of 1,073 registered voters in The Palmetto State -- show that among likely Republican presidential primary voters, Gingrich has made a dramatic jump since September. At that time, the same polling company found Gingrich earned just 5.3 percent of the vote behind Romney, who came in second with 27.3 percent and Perry, who led the pack with 30.5 percent.

According to the poll, Herman Cain, who suspended his campaign on Saturday, still maintained support among Republicans though it had dropped from 7.7 percent in September to 6.6 percent in December.

The survey also weighed in on national events, and interviewed Democrats and independents as well. It listed 81 percent saying the economy is fairly or very bad, and 47.4 percent saying national economic conditions are getting worse.

Among the whole survey group, 63.4 percent saying it is not possible to address national budget concerns without any tax increases on any groups. However, there were wide differences in the results, with 80.4 percent of Democrats agreeing with that statement while only 47.4 percent of Republicans did. In the all-important independent group, 60.5 percent agreed that the economy can't be fixed without tax hikes on somebody.

Unemployment ranked the top concern with 38.2 percent with the economic and fiscal crisis and education following as top concerns, with 21.1 and 10 percent, respectively. A full 81.4 percent said they disapproved of the way Congress is doing its job.

Despite not knowing who the Republican nominee will be, 58.8 percent said they thought it was somewhat or very likely President Obama would keep his job even though only 44.8 percent approved of his job performance while 47.8 percent disapproved.

Click here for the full results from the poll.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/12/06/gingrich-climbs-top-south-carolina-poll

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #476 on: December 07, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »
Romney in second is actually pretty good for him, because he hasn't really campaigned in Iowa.  

Gingrich tops 4th straight poll in Iowa
Posted by CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

(CNN) - Newt Gingrich leads the pack of GOP presidential candidates in a fourth straight poll of likely Iowa Republican caucus goers.

Thirty-one percent of people questioned in a CBS News/New York Times survey say that the former House speaker is their choice for their party's nominee, with 17 percent supporting former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and 16% backing Rep. Ron Paul of Texas. The poll's Tuesday afternoon release comes four weeks before the Jan. 3 Iowa caucuses, which kick off the Republican presidential primary and caucus calendar.

The survey indicates that 11% support Texas Gov. Rick Perry, with 9% backing Rep. Michele Bachmann of neighboring Minnesota and 4% supporting former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania. Both Bachmann and Santorum have been crisscrossing Iowa the past couple of months.

The poll's results mirror an ABC News/Washington Post survey released Tuesday morning. According to that poll, 33% of likely Iowa GOP caucus goers say they back Gingrich, with Romney, who's making his second bid for the GOP nomination, and Paul, who's making his third run for the White House, each at 18%, Perry at 11%, Bachmann at 10%, and Santorum at 7%.

The survey indicates that Jon Huntsman's at 2%. The former Utah governor and ambassador to China has spent nearly all of his time campaigning in New Hampshire, which votes second after Iowa. Four percent are unsure who to support and six in ten say they could change their minds over the next four weeks.

Asked about the latest polls, Romney told reporters Tuesday in Arizona that "my expectation is that this is going to be a campaign that's going to go on for a while and I expect to win it."

Gingrich's campaign was left for dead by many in late spring, after a bunch of controversies which resulted in a number of top advisers and staffers quitting the campaign. They also faced financial difficulties. But thanks to strong performances in many of the Republican presidential debates this autumn, and thanks to stumbles by Bachmann, Perry and businessman Herman Cain, who suspended his campaign this past weekend, Gingrich has soared in both national polling and in surveys in the crucial early voting states.

The challenge for Gingrich now is to use his skyrocketing poll numbers and increase in fundraising to quickly build a larger and more effective campaign structure in the early voting states. Gingrich went up with his first campaign TV commercial Monday, in Iowa.

According to the ABC/Washington Post poll, Gingrich leads Romney by 27 points when it comes to experience, by 14 points on standing up for what he believes, by 13 points when it comes to reflecting the values of the GOP and by 10 points on understanding the problems of people like me. Gingrich holds a narrower five-point margin over Romney on electability and is basically tied with Romney on honesty.

The survey indicates that, at least in Iowa, the issue of illegal immigration may not hurt Gingrich, who has come under attack by some of his rivals for his calls for a pathway to legitimacy for some longtime illegal immigrants. By 19 points, Hawkeye State Republicans say Gingrich would do a better job on the issue over Romney, who has been critical of Gingrich over immigration. Only 15% say Gingrich's position on the issue is a reason to oppose him for the nomination, with nearly four in ten saying it's a reason to support him.

Separately, only 16% say Gingrich's marital history is a reason to not support him. Gingrich has been married three times and has admitted to extramarital affairs.

Meanwhile, the poll indicates the health care measure signed into law over five years ago by then-Massachusetts Gov. Romney, which includes an individual mandate and is considered by some Republicans as the model for President Barack Obama's national health care law, could be damaging. Forty-five percent of those questioned say the so-called "RomneyCare" law is a major reason to oppose Romney for the nomination.

The ABC News-Washington Post poll was conducted Nov. 30-Dec. 4, with 858 potential Iowa Republican caucus goers, including 356 likely GOP caucus goers, questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus four percentage points, with a sampling error of plus or minus six percentage points for likely caucus goers.

The CBS News-New York Times poll was conducted Nov. 30-Dec. 5, with 642 Iowa registered voters who say they are definitely or probably attending the GOP caucuses questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus four percentage points.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/06/gingrich-tops-4th-straight-poll-in-iowa/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #477 on: December 07, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »
Mitt's GOTV effort will be awesome.   As will Ron Paul's.

Newt is dependent upon FOX news motivating people to go vote for the frontrunner.  That's his team.

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #478 on: December 08, 2011, 01:48:52 AM »
Mitt may have made a strategic error by being too conservative and not aggressive enough. In fairness, I think he always had a plan b to go aggressive when a candidate didnt implode like Perry and Cain did. But I dont think he anticipated Gingrich's rise, and now it might be too little too late for a plan b this close to the primary. And who can blame him for not anticipating Newt's rise? Newt should not be the nominee and it is an embarrassment that conservatives are actually considering him. Remember when his entire staff walked out on him earlier? Those people havent gone back to him after his rise in the polls. They dont think they made a mistake. That's because his management style sucks. I still have not gotten an apology from Christine Odonnell supporters after being called a RHINO for supporting Mike Castle in the Delaware 2010 Senate Primary. Conservatives seriously need to ask themselves whether they want to send a message or send a president in 2012. THey made a really bad mistake in Neveda and Delaware in 2010. It a would be a shame to make that same mistake in 2012 where it counts the most.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #479 on: December 15, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »
Poll: Romney holds lead in N.H., Gingrich and Huntsman on the rise
Posted by
CNN's Ashley Killough

(CNN) - Despite big gains in the polls for Newt Gingrich in several key early voting states, fellow GOP presidential frontrunner Mitt Romney still maintains a wide advantage in the first-in-the-nation-primary state of New Hampshire.

According to a new poll out Wednesday, Romney leads Gingrich in the state 38% to 20%, with former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman making a significant bump to third place with 13%.

The Suffolk University/7NEWS poll showed that while Romney still holds the top spot, his numbers have dropped and his margin with Gingrich has narrowed from 27 to 18 percentage points since the poll was last done in mid-November.

Romney was polling last month at 41% of support, with Gingrich and Texas Rep. Ron Paul each following behind at 14%.

Also notable, Huntsman saw his highest numbers yet in the Granite State, where he has largely focused his campaign resources in hopes of winning the primary on Jan. 10.

Huntsman leaped from 9% to 13% over the last month, replacing Paul for third place. The poll credits his surge to more support among independents, a voting bloc allowed to take part in the state's open primary.

"If independents participate in a big way next January, Huntsman will benefit," said David Paleologos, director of Suffolk University's Political Research Center. "While other candidates have focused on the more traditional Republican voters, Huntsman has traction among independents, who could dominate the Republican Primary if mobilized."

The other candidates all polled in the single digits, with Paul at 8%, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann at 3%, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum at 2% and Texas Gov. Rick Perry at 1%.

Meanwhile, former Louisiana Gov. Buddy Roemer, who announced his candidacy in July, came in with 2%. Former GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain also received 2%, but he suspended his campaign in early December.

Suffolk University Political Research Center surveyed 400 likely voters in New Hampshire's Republican presidential primary via telephone from Dec. 10-13, with a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/14/poll-romney-holds-lead-in-n-h-gingrich-and-huntsman-catching-up/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #480 on: December 16, 2011, 10:35:35 AM »
Nikki Haley Endorses Romney
Friday, 16 Dec 2011

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley has endorsed Mitt Romney.

Haley, a darling of Republican tea party circles, is one of the most coveted endorsements in the GOP race for the White House.

Haley announced her pick Friday morning on Fox News.

"Today is the day that I am throwing all of my support behind Mitt Romney for president," Haley said.

The endorsement is critical for Romney ahead of South Carolina's primary next month. Although he was a long-term front-runner, Romney has seen Newt Gingrich overtake him in recent polls.

"Governor Romney is the one candidate that President Obama consistently tries to hit and get out of the way," Haley said. "That lets me know he's scared of him. It also lets me know Governor Romney's got a good fight in him and that he's the one President Obama doesn't want to have to go against."

The South Carolina governor praised Romney for his ideas on jobs, the economy, and spending.

"What I want is someone who is not part of the chaos that is Washington," Haley said. "What I wanted was someone who knew what it was like to turn broken companies around."

All the GOP candidates except Ron Paul spoke with her, she said. Romney was her choice, in part, because he had learned much since his 2008 run.

"He's very much become a great candidate just like Ronald Reagan did, in that in his first run, he learned a lot as a candidate," Haley said. "I don't think this is about being a candidate anymore. He spends a lot of time thinking about our country and how to get it back on track."

Romney plans to head to South Carolina this weekend, where he has a series of town hall meetings along the coast. Haley's support of Romney is not unexpected: She supported him in 2008.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/haley-southcarolina-romney-endorsement/2011/12/16/id/421188

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #481 on: December 16, 2011, 10:42:09 AM »
Watched the Iowa debate yesterday.  Some observations:

- Romney was solid again.  He has been good in every debate I've watched.  I think I can say that when it comes to the economy, I trust him to do a good job.  He would be an enormous improvement over Obama.  I think he's the safest choice at this point.

- Newt was very good again, except for the Freddie Mac issue.  That makes him look really bad.  His explanations were terrible.  I think that issue will hurt him.  

- Perry had his best performance, which for him means not making a fool of himself.  He's still not a good debater at all.  In hindsight, he probably should have skipped all of the debates.  

- Bachmann had one of her better performances.  She was a bit too much of an Obama attack dog in previous debates and actually sounded a lot more presidential yesterday.  

- Paul was the same:  good on the economy, very bad on foreign policy.  His comments about Iran were just scary.  There is no way he should be the CIC.  He also sounded pretty inept when talking about the courts.  Definitely outside his comfort zone.    

- Santorum and Huntsman:  why are they still in the race?  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #482 on: December 16, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »
Watched the Iowa debate yesterday.  Some observations:

- Romney was solid again.  He has been good in every debate I've watched.  I think I can say that when it comes to the economy, I trust him to do a good job.  He would be an enormous improvement over Obama.  I think he's the safest choice at this point.

- Newt was very good again, except for the Freddie Mac issue.  That makes him look really bad.  His explanations were terrible.  I think that issue will hurt him.  

- Perry had his best performance, which for him means not making a fool of himself.  He's still not a good debater at all.  In hindsight, he probably should have skipped all of the debates.  

- Bachmann had one of her better performances.  She was a bit too much of an Obama attack dog in previous debates and actually sounded a lot more presidential yesterday.  

- Paul was the same:  good on the economy, very bad on foreign policy.  His comments about Iran were just scary.  There is no way he should be the CIC.  He also sounded pretty inept when talking about the courts.  Definitely outside his comfort zone.    

- Santorum and Huntsman:  why are they still in the race?  

if he should have skipped the debtes then shouldn't he have also skipped running for POTUS

why do you think Romney would be good for the economy.  His primary business experience is destroying jobs to enrich himself.    How does that translate into being good for the economy?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #483 on: December 16, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »
if he should have skipped the debtes then shouldn't he have also skipped running for POTUS

why do you think Romney would be good for the economy.  His primary business experience is destroying jobs to enrich himself.    How does that translate into being good for the economy?

LOL   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #484 on: December 17, 2011, 10:33:16 AM »
Florida will be high stakes. 

Zogby: GOP Race Will All Come Down to Florida
Friday, 16 Dec 2011
By Martin Gould and Ashley Martella

Florida is likely to be “the big kahuna” of the Republican primary season, with the winner in the Sunshine State probably going on to take the nomination, leading pollster John Zogby tells Newsmax.TV.

“It’s huge,” Zogby said of the first winner-take-all primary to take place in the 2012 primary season. “You could very well have the scenario of different winners in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina, none of which, according to the rules, are winner-takes-all.

“Florida is then the big kahuna, it’s a big state, there’s a lot of delegates that will be at stake,” added Zogby, chairman and chief insights officer of IBOPE Zogby.

Zogby can see the likelihood of three different winners for the first three contests as he feels Rep. Ron Paul could come from behind to snatch Iowa. Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich are clear favorites in New Hampshire and South Carolina respectively.

So then Florida’s Jan. 31 contest takes on a huge importance. “It could be definitive or at least provide a clarity,” he said during the exclusive interview with Newsmax.TV.

Zogby was talking the day after the seven leading GOP candidates debated in Sioux City, Iowa, for the last time before the Jan. 3 caucuses in the Hawkeye State.

Winning Iowa historically has “been all over the place,” he said.

“What it does is it winnows in and it winnows out, and it also creates a set of expectations on who can meet those and who can’t. This year, Iowa is very important in the winnowing out process and finding the person who is the conservative candidate.

“Someone will emerge as the anti-Republican establishment candidate,” he said.

He pointed out that, with the exception of Jon Huntsman, who has not campaigned heavily in Iowa, none of the candidates is polling really badly in the state. Figures for Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann, and Rick Santorum are all in the high single digits or low double digits, enough for them to make a late surge.

“It’s very fluid out there,” Zogby said. “You are starting to see those numbers being chiseled back downward for Newt Gingrich and there’s still Rick Santorum, there’s still Michele Bachmann.

“What you could see are some of the leading candidates going down a few points, some of those also-rans moving up several points and it’s our job to determine what that all meant on the day after.”

Zogby said he felt Gingrich had a good debate in Sioux City on Thursday night, although he failed to come up with an adequate answer to Bachmann’s charge that he took $1.6 million from the government-backed housing agency Freddie Mac.

“Gingrich was very effective and played good defense. He was really hitting back and getting it from all sides, but on this one issue alone, you are starting to see Gingrich’s numbers going down a little bit in Iowa, going down nationally.

“She effectively took that case to the voters about him and I’m still not sure that he has responded.”

Romney’s quote that President Barack Obama believes the country is in decline — “it is if he’s president, it’s not if I’m president” — was the sort of one-liner the former Massachusetts governor has needed all along. Zogby described the line as “something that’s strong, something that actually is a sound bite that’s about him and not about the other candidates or a response to other candidates.”

“That’s a solid message for the conservative side — the major side — of Republican primary and caucus voters,” Zogby added.

But he painted Rick Perry’s comparison of himself to Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow as an outside chance of making a rebound in the polls. “If you’re counting on Hail Marys, to extend the metaphor, that was a Hail Mary.

“There’s no question about the fact that Rick Perry is in trouble, but his one possible ace are Christian conservatives . . . his strength is going to be with Christian conservatives and there is no hotter Christian conservative out there than Tim Tebow.”

He said it was a good thing that the two front-runners, Gingrich and Romney, saved their attacks for Obama, rather than turning on each other.

“Last night was a night for no runs, no hits, no errors, no $10,000 bets or apologizing about multiple affairs.

“It was a reminder that whoever emerges from this process is the nominee, whose number one task is to beat Obama. That’s the question that voters are going to be asking now — who doesn’t simply make the good points, who doesn’t simply appeal to my heart, but who is going to beat Barack Obama?”

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Zogby-GOP-primary-Florida/2011/12/16/id/421274

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #485 on: December 17, 2011, 08:21:01 PM »
Des Moines Register endorses Romney
By CNN's Ashley Killough and Shannon Travis

(CNN) – The Des Moines Register, the largest newspaper in Iowa, backed Mitt Romney late Saturday in his bid for the Republican presidential nomination.

The much-anticipated endorsement gives the former Massachusetts governor special bragging rights just over two weeks before Iowa’s critical presidential caucuses on January 3.

Citing the candidate’s “sobriety, wisdom and judgment,” the editorial board said Romney was the most qualified candidate competing in the caucuses.

While the paper didn’t endorse Romney in his last run for president in 2007, the editorial board said voters now face a different GOP field and Romney “has matured as a candidate.”

“Rebuilding the economy is the nation’s top priority, and Romney makes the best case among the Republicans that he could do that,” the editorial board wrote.

The board hailed Romney for his “solid credentials,” saying he was the most likely candidate to see through “knee-jerk, ideological” perspectives and “bridge the political divide in Washington.”

Taking issue with the two other top-tier candidates, the paper claimed Romney stood out against former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, whom the board called “an undisciplined partisan who would alienate, not unite, if he reverts to mean-spirited attacks on display as House speaker.”

It also criticized Texas Rep. Ron Paul as someone with a libertarian ideology that would “lead to economic chaos and isolationism.”

Also significant, the board somewhat defended Romney against a line of attack taken by opponents who criticize him as a “flip-flopper.”

“Though Romney has tended to adapt some positions to different times and places, he is hardly unique. It should be possible for a politician to say, 'I was wrong, and I have changed my mind'," the paper wrote.

But the paper still reserved questions over his changing tune on issues such as abortion and said it was up to the voters to decide “whether such subtly nuanced statements express Romney's true beliefs or if he's trying to have it both ways.”

The editorial is the second major endorsement for Romney in two days, coming on the heels of Friday’s nod from South Carolina Republican Gov. Nikki Haley. South Carolina’s primary, set for January 21, is the first presidential contest in the South and the third overall in the early voting season.

In early December, Romney scored another endorsement from Iowa's Sioux City Journal, which described the candidate as "best prepared through experience, skills and qualities to lead the country."

Romney has taken heat all year for running what many political observers call a lackluster effort in Iowa. He has campaigned in the state far less than Gingrich, Bachmann, Rick Santorum and Rick Perry. He opened up his first office in Iowa just last month.

His campaign chose not to secure a spot in the non-binding but closely watched Ames Straw Poll in August, which measures a campaign's organizational strength in the state.

Romney won the straw poll during his first presidential bid in 2007, but fell short of winning the caucuses five months later.

While Romney didn't actively seek a straw-poll win this time around, he was still on the ballot in August and took sixth place. Bachmann narrowly won the contest, with Paul following closely behind.

Romney has since returned to the state multiple times. He's held steady at or near the top of polls in the state for much of the year, until recently, when Gingrich surged ahead in the GOP horserace.

According to an American Research Group poll taken Dec. 8-11, Romney placed second in the Hawkeye State with 17% of support among likely caucus voters, while Gingrich took first with 22%. Paul tied with Romney at 17%.

Reacting to the paper’s endorsement, Santorum, who’s spent most of his resources campaigning in Iowa, indicated he was not expecting the nod.

"Shocked! I would have been concerned that I was doing something wrong if they'd endorsed me,” Santorum said Saturday at a campaign stop in Harrison County, Iowa.

While the paper’s endorsement is highly coveted, it does not necessarily spell success for a candidate.

In the last election cycle, the paper endorsed GOP Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who didn’t actively campaign in the state and took third place in the caucuses, while former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee pulled off a surprise victory.

At the time, the editorial board said Romney exuded “executive discipline” but decided to back McCain instead, saying the senator was the “most ready to lead America in a complex and dangerous world” and more likely to inspire “confidence in his leadership.”

On the Democratic side, the paper backed then-Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York, who later placed third in the caucuses behind then-Illinois Sen. Barack Obama and former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards.

The newspaper has long endorsed candidates for the general presidential election, but it began making endorsements for the caucuses in 1988.

Since then, three of its choices went on to win the contest: Bob Dole in 1996 and 1988 and then-Texas Gov. George W. Bush in 2000.

In addition, three endorsees eventually secured the Republican nomination: Dole in 1996, Bush in 2000 and McCain in 2008.

Only one of its chosen candidates - Bush in 2000 - went on to win the White House.

– CNN Political Researcher Robert Yoon and CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/17/des-moines-register-endorses-romney/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #486 on: December 18, 2011, 09:43:56 AM »
Anyone still believe Newt is going to win it?  Seems like despite the "it's different this time", he's just the flavor of the weak.  [sic]

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #487 on: December 18, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »
If Republicans are smart they will nominate Romney.  He will beat Obama. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #488 on: December 20, 2011, 07:35:15 AM »
DEAD HEAT POLL: Gingrich Lead over Romney Collapses
by Serafin Gomez | December 19, 2011

Newt Gingrich's 15-point national lead has collapsed and the GOP presidential candidate is now in a statistical dead heat with Republican rival Mitt Romney, according to a new Gallup tracking poll out Monday.

The former Speaker of the House is now ahead of Romney by only 26 percent to 24 percent, among GOP voters and GOP leaning independent voters. However, Gingrich's decline has not meant an overwhelming increase in support for the former Massachusetts Governor, and shows that no single candidate has benefited proportionately more from Gingrich's drop.

"Unfortunately for Romney, the sizable percentage of the vote put in play by Gingrich's recent decline has not all gone his way, but instead has been scattered among the entire field," Gallup.com analyzies on their website." This fits the pattern seen over and over again in 2011, in which Romney fails to benefit each time various Republican candidates have fizzled out after surging. That this pattern continues today adds to the body of evidence that a segment of Republican voters want to nominate someone other than Romney. Support for Ron Paul is now 11%, up from 8% to 9% earlier in the month -- marking the first time his support has been above 10% since mid-September. At that time, a Gallup poll of all Republicans/Republican-leaning independents put his support at 13%.

Ron Paull is currently polling at 11 percent while Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry are both at 7 percent. Rick Santorum is  at 4%, and Jon Huntsman at 2 percent.

According to Gallup, the latest findings are from Dec. 13-18 Gallup Daily tracking, based on 1,177 Republicans and Republican-leaning independents who are registered to vote. The margin of error is plus or minus 3 points.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/12/19/dead-heat-poll-romney-narrows-gingrich-gap

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #489 on: December 20, 2011, 07:37:14 AM »
Wow, Newt was just like the rest of them.   What a sham.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #490 on: December 20, 2011, 07:40:48 AM »
Wow, Newt was just like the rest of them.   What a sham.

Newt is a time bomb.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #491 on: December 20, 2011, 07:41:33 AM »
WashPost-ABC Poll: Gingrich, Romney Tied Nationally
Tuesday, 20 Dec 2011
By Henry J. Reske

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney are locked in a dead heat nationally. A new Washington Post-ABC News poll shows that both receive 30 percent among Republicans and Republican-leaning voters.

However, Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, is surging and now polls at 15 percent, about double his numbers in early November. All other GOP candidates poll in the single digits.

Part of Gingrich’s rise in the polls results from businessman Herman Cain’s decision to suspend his candidacy, the Post reports.

On the question of who Republicans think is best positioned to defeat President Barack Obama, Romney leads by 10 points; he also is viewed as the best GOP candidate to deal with the economy.

Both candidates carry negatives, with Gingrich receiving poor marks for his consulting work for Freddie Mac and Romney for his Massachusetts healthcare plan, the Post reported.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Post-ABC-poll-Gingrich/2011/12/20/id/421576

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #492 on: December 20, 2011, 08:01:57 AM »
We're witnessing Newt's freefall - complements of his own republican party.

It wasn't the worthless libs trashing him.  It was a laundry list of republicans that said Newt would lose nationally.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #493 on: December 20, 2011, 10:05:41 AM »
HOPE springs eternal !!!!

there seems to be a little conversation on the cable news channels that SARAH may get back into the race !
christmas will come early if she does...
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #494 on: December 20, 2011, 10:14:09 AM »
I will donate $100 to sarah palin if she enters the race LMAO

she's just trying to get attention - contract negotiations are probably coming up, and fox is saying "Dude, you're half-irrelevant now..."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #495 on: December 22, 2011, 12:59:54 PM »

Romney shakes hands with Bush at The George Bush Presidential Library at Texas A&M University on Dec. 7, 2007.

December 22nd, 2011
Bush 41 carefully backs Romney
CNN Political Unit

(CNN) - Mitt Romney had "no idea" George H.W. Bush was going to publicly support his bid for the White House Thursday, saying at an event in New Hampshire the backing from the former president meant more personally than it did politically.

"I had no idea that was coming," Romney said, adding he thought of Bush as a "hero."

Romney's comments came after Bush told the Houston Chronicle the former Massachusetts governor was the "best choice" for the 2012 Republican nomination.

The Texas newspaper noted Bush's support did not constitute an official endorsement. Bush and his family live in the state of another presidential hopeful, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, complicating the notion of a full-scale endorsement.

In the interview with the Chronicle, Bush explained why he wasn't backing Perry.

"I like Perry, but he doesn't seem to be going anywhere; he's not surging forward," Bush said.

He also added: "I've got to be a little careful, because I like Perry; he's our governor."

Bush praised Romney's "stability, experience, principles," saying the candidate was more even-keeled than his competition.

"I just think he's mature and reasonable – not a bomb-thrower."

Bush met with Romney as recently as the beginning of December, when the candidate visited the former president and his wife Barbara at their home near Houston. At the time, Romney aides said the trip wasn't meant to secure an endorsement, noting the two politicians were long-time friends.

On Thursday, Romney's spokeswoman Andrea Saul wrote on Twitter the candidate called Bush to thank him for his support.

At his New Hampshire event, Romney said he thanked Bush "for his support, his leadership, his heroic life, and his friendship."

–CNN's Rachel Streitfeld and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/22/bush-41-carefully-backs-romney/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #496 on: December 25, 2011, 08:11:50 AM »
Boston Globe Poll: Romney, Gingrich, Paul Tops in NH
Sunday, 25 Dec 2011

Mitt Romney remains the top contender in New Hampshire even as Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul gain momentum with just ver two weeks until the first primary state's voters head to the ballot box, a Boston Globe poll has found.

Romney receives 39 percent of the state’s likely Republican voters, a slight drop from a month ago of  3 percentage points.

Gingrich and Paul are tied with 17 percent each, just ahead of Jon Huntsman, who has the support of 11 percent of likely Republican voters.

But with the Jan. 10 contest looming, Paul has gained the most, the poll finds. His numbers jumped by 5 percentage points since November, while Huntsman rose 3 percentage points in the last month and Gingrich has gained 2.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/romney-gingrich-paul-poll/2011/12/25/id/422092

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #497 on: December 25, 2011, 08:17:15 PM »
It's still Romney on top in NH
Posted by
CNN Producer Gabriella Schwarz

(CNN) – Mitt Romney continues to hold a solid lead among likely Republican voters in New Hampshire in the run-up to the January 10 primary, according to a recent survey.

A Boston Globe poll released Sunday showed Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, on top with 39% support followed by former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Rep. Ron Paul of Texas tied with 17% and former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman with 11%. The remaining candidates each garnered 3% support or less.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Since a similar poll in November, Romney dropped by 3 percentage points, while Paul gained 5 percentage points, Huntsman picked up 3 percentage points and Gingrich increased by 2 percentage points.

Overall Romney is the consistent leader among likely GOP primary voters in Granite State polling, yet the standing of the other candidates is more fluid.

Forty-six percent of Republican voters said they are still trying to decide who to back in the primary, while 26% said they made up their mind and 28% said they were leaning toward a candidate.

The Globe survey, conducted by the University of New Hampshire, polled 543 likely voters via telephone between Dec. 12 and Dec. 19. It had a sampling error of plus or minus 4.2 percentage points.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/25/its-still-romney-on-top-in-nh/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #498 on: December 25, 2011, 08:19:27 PM »
if Romney pushes a VAT Tax he will put me in a weird spot.  Romney is a lying snake. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #499 on: December 25, 2011, 08:20:07 PM »
if Romney pushes a VAT Tax he will put me in a weird spot.  Romney is a lying snake. 

I don't support that either.