Author Topic: Del. overturns ruling fining Cinema 80K for telling Blacks to STFU during movie.  (Read 2603 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Delaware Supreme Court overturns cinema ruling
Manager of Dover theater vindicated
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110223/NEWS01/102230331/Top-court-overturns-cinema-ruling?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

SEAN O'SULLIVAN

The Delaware Supreme Court overturned a decision by the state Human Relations Commission that the manager of a Dover cinema was racist when he used a "condescending tone" in telling a crowd of largely black patrons viewing a Tyler Perry movie to silence their cell phones and remain quiet.

The commission also ordered the Carmike 14 Theater to pay nearly $80,000 for violating the Delaware Equal Accommodations Law after it determined the October 2007 announcement -- which was not regularly made in that way in other theaters -- "insulted, humiliated and demeaned" patrons in that manager David Stewart had singled out a black audience at a "minority-themed" movie.

Court papers note that extra security also was brought in that night and guards were double-checking ticket stubs as audience members entered, which the plaintiffs said further added to the humiliation.

The Supreme Court, however, tossed out that finding and the fine late last week, ruling there was no racist language in the announcement, no specific group was singled out and the non-racial explanation for the announcement -- that it was part of a since-discontinued company policy at sold-out shows to ensure that all patrons would enjoy the movie -- was reasonable.

The court also noted that the then-director of the state Office of Human Relations was in the crowd that night, announced to the theater that she was offended and organized patrons to file the complaint with the Human Relations Commission.

The incident happened Oct. 12, 2007, at the sold-out 7:15 p.m. showing of the movie "Why Did I Get Married?" where the cinema was showing the picture in three theaters simultaneously.

The warning about cell phones was shown on the screen and then was delivered in person in the largest of the three auditoriums by Stewart, according to court papers. Some patrons later said Stewart's tone "was offensive and condescending, as if he were speaking to children." And because the crowd, which had been well-behaved to that point, was "90 to 95 percent" black, some felt it was racist because it implied that blacks did not know how to behave in a movie theater.

________________________ ________________________ _______________

I don't even go to the movies near me because of the idiots who refuse to STFU in there.   Its worse than being in the zoo.  Cant hear a damn thing with these people hooting and hollring during the whole danm movie.  

I just wait till it comes to netflix or go when I know most of the worst jerkoffs are still sleeping and getting over their hangover.      

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
And because the crowd, which had been well-behaved to that point, was "90 to 95 percent" black, some felt it was racist because it implied that blacks did not know how to behave in a movie theater.

________________________ ________________

Chris Rock said the same thing. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Blacks dont know how to behave in movie theaters, shopping malls, resteraunts, public parks, schools, churches or anywhere else that involves food, entertainment, money or other people quietly trying to learn or enjoy themselves. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Blacks dont know how to behave in movie theaters, shopping malls, resteraunts, public parks, schools, churches or anywhere else that involves food, entertainment, money or other people quietly trying to learn or enjoy themselves. 

Chris Rock said it best. Black people know how to behave just fine; N*@^&#, on the other hand........

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Chris Rock said it best. Black people know how to behave just fine; N*@^&#, on the other hand........

Yep...he nailed it.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND

Racist post reported.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
Racist post reported.

How do you know what he meant with those letters and symbols?  I'm reporting your racist post reported as racist.  ;D

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
well it is a stereo type that blacks talk to the movie screen and loudly to eachother during a movie, BUT it is my experience that WHITE teenagers and young 20 somethings are the worst. I have many times had to ask a person sitting near me if they were planning on texting thru the whole movie or did they think they could wait till the movie was over. And if so, why don't they just move to the back of the theatre so they don't ruin my movie experience.
sept 10th APF

Sudsville

• Getbig II
How do you know what he meant with those letters and symbols?  I'm reporting your racist post reported as racist.  ;D

Poor kid

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
well it is a stereo type that blacks talk to the movie screen and loudly to eachother during a movie, BUT it is my experience that WHITE teenagers and young 20 somethings are the worst. I have many times had to ask a person sitting near me if they were planning on texting thru the whole movie or did they think they could wait till the movie was over. And if so, why don't they just move to the back of the theatre so they don't ruin my movie experience.

then you are either lying or never been to many predominantly black movie theatres.  And ALL of my black friends will tell you the same thing.....the "stereo type" is simply the truth in this instance.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I dont even go to the movies anymore because I dont want to deal with the crazies. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
I dont even go to the movies anymore because I dont want to deal with the crazies. 

Neither do I.....with netflix, redbox, blockbuster, cable, etc... I would just rather enjoy one at home and eat and drink all I want without going broke.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Anyone that has been to a movie theater more than once knows that most of the time it's a black person who is talking up a storm during the movie. Black women are the worst. They talk to the screen as if the actors in the movie can hear them and respond to them. Seriously. A lot of blacks don't know how to act with decorum in public.

I haven't gone to a movie theater in over 2 years after seeing one too many fights over someone telling another to keep quiet. I did enjoy the last fight I saw in a movie theater. This black young guy was talking non-stop. Laughing for no reason. He kept doing this 30 minutes into the movie. All of the sudden someone yells at him to shut up. He gets up and walks up and down the aisle asking "yo, who said that shit? who said that?" The white guy who said it gets up and says "I said it. What are you going to do?" Black dude gets up to the white guy's face and starts jawing at him. He pushes the white guy. White guy bullrushes the black guy, slamming him into the other seats across the aisle from where they were standing. White guy proceeds to punch the guy repeatedly on the face and back of the head. The only thing black guy did was to hold on for dear life. White guy throws the black guy off of him and tries to run out of room but the guards catch him.  All that mouthing off and the black guy ended up being humiliated. Both of them got arrested but the black guy ended up with bigger lips than the ones he was born with.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I agree with the posters about the girls too.   Annoying as shit. 

Everyone should just SSSTTFFFUUU if they go to he movies or dont go at all.     

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Anyone that has been to a movie theater more than once knows that most of the time it's a black person who is talking up a storm during the movie. Black women are the worst. They talk to the screen as if the actors in the movie can hear them and respond to them. Seriously. A lot of blacks don't know how to act with decorum in public.

I haven't gone to a movie theater in over 2 years after seeing one too many fights over someone telling another to keep quiet. I did enjoy the last fight I saw in a movie theater. This black young guy was talking non-stop. Laughing for no reason. He kept doing this 30 minutes into the movie. All of the sudden someone yells at him to shut up. He gets up and walks up and down the aisle asking "yo, who said that shit? who said that?" The white guy who said it gets up and says "I said it. What are you going to do?" Black dude gets up to the white guy's face and starts jawing at him. He pushes the white guy. White guy bullrushes the black guy, slamming him into the other seats across the aisle from where they were standing. White guy proceeds to punch the guy repeatedly on the face and back of the head. The only thing black guy did was to hold on for dear life. White guy throws the black guy off of him and tries to run out of room but the guards catch him.  All that mouthing off and the black guy ended up being humiliated. Both of them got arrested but the black guy ended up with bigger lips than the ones he was born with.

Was the white guy charged with "hate crime" too?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Blacks dont know how to behave in movie theaters, shopping malls, resteraunts, public parks, schools, churches or anywhere else that involves food, entertainment, money, WHITE WOMEN, or other people quietly trying to learn or enjoy themselves. 

Fixed it for you.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Good decision. 

That said, I go to the movies quite a bit with a number of different ethnic groups in various parts of the country and the stereotypes are not true.  You can't put everyone under an umbrella because of a few numbskulls.  I was in a theater the other day and group of high school kids, who happened to be white, were so loud and disruptive that I actually had to move.  I've seen rude blacks, whites, Asians, etc.  But most people, regardless of race, don't act up in movie theaters.