Author Topic: Geithner: Don't worry about surging oil prices, US recovering economy can handle  (Read 5852 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner said the economic recovery has put the world on a better footing to withstand the increase in oil prices caused by turmoil in the Middle East.

“The economy is in a much stronger position to handle” rising oil prices, Geithner said today during a Bloomberg Breakfast in Washington. “Central banks have a lot of experience in managing these things.”

bwhahahahaha

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-23/geithner-says-world-is-in-a-better-position-to-handle-surge-in-oil-prices.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Ha ha ha ha. Hope and change.  Carter style.

Purge_WTF

Yeah, let's all listen to Geithner--after all, he's never been off the mark.

The Saudis have said that they can "absorb" any oil shortages that may be brought about by the Libya fiasco. I hope so, because I don't want to have a repeat of the summer of '08.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
White House: higher oil prices won't halt recovery (White House economist Austan Goolsbee)
Yahoo ^ | 2/23/11 | Caren Bohan and Alister Bull - Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The White House on Wednesday said higher oil prices caused by Middle East unrest must be monitored but would not stall the U.S. recovery, while reiterating a warning on the risks posed by global imbalances.

"Thus far, they're up, but we're not forecasting -- and you haven't seen the private forecasters forecasting -- that at these levels they would derail the recovery," said top White House economist Austan Goolsbee.

U.S. crude oil reached a 28-month high of $100 a barrel on Wednesday as violence in OPEC producer Libya caused output there to be reduced and investors bet that unrest elsewhere in the region could cause additional disruption to supplies.

Goolsbee was answering a reporter's question during remarks on the annual Economic Report of the President, which takes a broad look at the outlook for the U.S. and global economy.

Oil's steady climb in recent weeks as popular revolts toppled autocratic leaders in Tunisia and Egypt, while sparking massed demonstrations elsewhere in the Arab world, has unsettled stock markets and applied a potential brake to growth in the United States and other oil-importing economies.

(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
White House: higher oil prices won't halt recovery (White House economist Austan Goolsbee)
Yahoo ^ | 2/23/11 | Caren Bohan and Alister Bull - Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The White House on Wednesday said higher oil prices caused by Middle East unrest must be monitored but would not stall the U.S. recovery, while reiterating a warning on the risks posed by global imbalances.

"Thus far, they're up, but we're not forecasting -- and you haven't seen the private forecasters forecasting -- that at these levels they would derail the recovery," said top White House economist Austan Goolsbee.

U.S. crude oil reached a 28-month high of $100 a barrel on Wednesday as violence in OPEC producer Libya caused output there to be reduced and investors bet that unrest elsewhere in the region could cause additional disruption to supplies.

Goolsbee was answering a reporter's question during remarks on the annual Economic Report of the President, which takes a broad look at the outlook for the U.S. and global economy.

Oil's steady climb in recent weeks as popular revolts toppled autocratic leaders in Tunisia and Egypt, while sparking massed demonstrations elsewhere in the Arab world, has unsettled stock markets and applied a potential brake to growth in the United States and other oil-importing economies.

(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...

but in your mind the oil prices are a result of the lack of supply of oil from potential sea drilling sites when it has nothing to do with that.  now would you like to school us on the reason for the high prices.. or just keep lying/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Oil prices have been climbing since the QE2 crap, the drilling bans, the refusa to ok the canadian pipeline, the closing down of the alaska supply, the refusal to pen new areas for drilling, letting th EPA run amok like a locu on the economy, devaluation of the dollar, and a concerted policy to SKYROCKETenergy costs. 

Remember Option Douche, Obama states that his goal is to SKYROCKET energy prices. 

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
April futures contracts hit 103.50 before retreating a bit..

The shit is fucking ridiculous....They need to put in some controls(like lock Limits) on these oil contracts...

Fuck these bogus free markets...

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
April futures contracts hit 103.50 before retreating a bit..

The shit is fucking ridiculous....They need to put in some controls(like lock Limits) on these oil contracts...

Fuck these bogus free markets...

Blame OPEC. It's amazing that they're almost never talked about despite the power they have.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Blame OPEC. It's amazing that they're almost never talked about despite the power they have.

While we refuse to get our own resurces - and we essentially have a fellow traveler in the WH, we are beholden to OPEC.   It sucks, but we as a nation made a deal with the devil and now have to suck it.   

225for70

• Getbig IV

OPEC is a cartel...No need to say more...We are at there mercy...It wouldn't surprise  me if they were fucking around in the futures market for a two prong attack on oil prices...

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
While we refuse to get our own resurces - and we essentially have a fellow traveler in the WH, we are beholden to OPEC.   It sucks, but we as a nation made a deal with the devil and now have to suck it.  

I just find it funny that for all the CT talk people throw around I hardly ever see OPEC mentioned, despite the fact that they're a cartel that has been manipulating the world economies for years with their set production limits.  

Much more entertaining to talk about nameless Illuminati and shit, I guess.

OPEC is a cartel...No need to say more...We are at there mercy...It wouldn't supply me if they were fucking around in the futures market for a two prong attack on oil prices...

Wouldn't surprise me at all. There are a few OPEC members that have been saying for years that oil should be at $150/barrel or higher.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The WH idiots like Obama/Geithner/Goolsbee and the rest of the incompetent drones have to be smoking crack to believe their statements. 

Higher oil prices will absolutely destroy what is left of the economy.   Less travel, less commerce, less movement, higher prices in everything, etc. 

But oh thats right - this is the Obama WH we are dealing with . . . so I guess they must have some secret brilliant plan where $5 a gallon gas will lead to prosperity and boom times.   

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Trump actually mentioned them he wanted to take some form of action but not sure what he had in mind..
Anyway he believed they were fucking over the gas buyers

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Action against OPEC that is

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Trump actually mentioned them he wanted to take some form of action but not sure what he had in mind..
Anyway he believed they were fucking over the gas buyers

Has obama ever said a damn thing about LOWERING oil prices or dealing with OPEC? 

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Has obama ever said a damn thing about LOWERING oil prices or dealing with OPEC? 

Nope but he should

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Oil prices have been climbing since the QE2 crap, the drilling bans, the refusa to ok the canadian pipeline, the closing down of the alaska supply, the refusal to pen new areas for drilling, letting th EPA run amok like a locu on the economy, devaluation of the dollar, and a concerted policy to SKYROCKETenergy costs. 

Remember Option Douche, Obama states that his goal is to SKYROCKET energy prices. 

please tell me you are just joking.. you really think that if drilling bans were lifted we would have lower gas prices.. is that what you are telling me right now.. please tell me you are joking

225for70

• Getbig IV
Wait till the new SDR basket of currency takes the place of the Petro dollar.,

There should be some carnage when that occurs...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
please tell me you are just joking.. you really think that if drilling bans were lifted we would have lower gas prices.. is that what you are telling me right now.. please tell me you are joking

Yes you fucking moron.   Damn - will you please fucking read an economics book for once in your damn life instead of regurgitating every leftist lie about almost every issue.   Damn - don't you get tired of being so wrong so often?

We need more supply, more refinement, more nukes, more coal plants, more natural gas, which all act as a depressant on the speculators' ability to drive the price up.   

Not to mention a reality based monetary policy, which we all know Obama tossed out the window long ago in order to keep funding his crazy spending spree.     

Amazing - we are are now at the point where even the most basic principals of economics.   

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
10% of our oil comes from the Middle East, the rest comes from Canada, Mexico and Venezuela. Scouring the land and drilling everything for oil/nat gas won't do much to alter prices in the near term but just our commitment to exploration and exploitation would help to assure the market that new supply will be added in the mid to long term thus lowering volatility. The problem is I do not believe that the U.S. has its own Ghawar. Oil shale and tar sands are hugely expensive to exploit and the ROI and EROEI would be pretty high meaning oil needs to keep rising for it to be economically viable. I believe I read that exploiting the tar sands in Alberta isn't all that great for the environment either. Oh, and you need a ton of nat gas and other energy to convert the tar sands into something resembling oil.

I mean, drilling everywhere to give his some breathing room and time to build that bridge to somewhere else, wherever that may be, is a must.....but make no mistake, there isn't enough to power us or the world for cheap anymore.

Wind/Solar is not efficient, it's expensive, and costs more per KW/hr than anything else. Add to the fact that we need to buy rare earths from China to build them and it isn't a real proposition. The rare earth problem is real as China has priced out the market with slave labor. it also takes a company an avg. of 10 years to get a permit to build a mine. They are also highly subsidized and they still suck. It's a pipe dream as far as replacing mass energy production. When solar panels get to 50-75% efficiency than I will believe, but not now. As for coal and "Clean Coal" CO2 sequestering is also a pipe dream and the more "Clean Coal" you make a coal plant, the more efficiency it loses. Nothing is for free.

Short Term would be converting our commercial/civilian transport fleets to natural gas, using more natural gas to power the grid etc. This would work and work well. But it isn't being talked about a lot as it is a common sense solution.

We do not need to totally replace oil, but we need more supply and more energy diversity. Simple as that.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Whwn geithner bashed obama last week, he was 100% accurate an reliable source of economic analysis and info.

This week, when he's defending obama, he's a lifelong shill and lie-teller.

geez 33............ is geithner reliable, or not?  You can't just be "a little reliable".  You are or you are not.  It's like being a little bit pregnant.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Whwn geithner bashed obama last week, he was 100% accurate an reliable source of economic analysis and info.

This week, when he's defending obama, he's a lifelong shill and lie-teller.

geez 33............ is geithner reliable, or not?  You can't just be "a little reliable".  You are or you are not.  It's like being a little bit pregnant.

Geithner is saying what he is told to say.   Same with Goolsbee.  They know this is all bullshit and that $5 a gallon will collapse things like they did in 2008.   Remember was preceeded the collapse of the market in 2008?  High oil prices, look it up.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
He is full of shit. Central Banks have a horrible record throughout history. They create inflation, work for the banks and destroy currencies.

Oil prices and other commodity prices will spike when there are inflationary and/or asset bubble forces at work. Both stem from, in this case, massive and sustained government stimulus whether through a bill or subsidies, U.E. insurance to infinity or increasing the size of government to historical sizes, budget deficits etc.

Asset inflation is partly from central banks loaning/printing money for % interest and POMO actions. Where do you think that money goes?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
He is full of shit. Central Banks have a horrible record throughout history. They create inflation, work for the banks and destroy currencies.

Oil prices and other commodity prices will spike when there are inflationary and/or asset bubble forces at work. Both stem from, in this case, massive and sustained government stimulus whether through a bill or subsidies, U.E. insurance to infinity or increasing the size of government to historical sizes, budget deficits etc.

Asset inflation is partly from central banks loaning/printing money for % interest and POMO actions. Where do you think that money goes?

Gigantor - we all know where itcomes from - HIS STASH! 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
U.S. Consumers Feel the Pinch of Surging Oil Prices
yahoo ^ | Feb 24, 2011 11:10am EST | Aaron Task

________________________ ________________________ ______--

Oil prices were surging again Thursday, with crude futures rising above $100 per barrel in New York trading for a second straight day while London's benchmark Brent crude approached $120 overnight. Despite Saudi Arabia's pledge to keep the spigots open, there's growing concern about potential for shortages amid the upheaval in the Middle East and North Africa, where OPEC-member Libya has descended into civil war.

Rising energy prices threaten the global economic recovery, a big reason the stock market and prices of non-energy commodities have tumbled in recent days. Economists estimate each 1 cent increase in gas prices takes $1 billion out of consumers' pockets, making it the ultimate "tax" on Americans already struggling with high unemployment and falling home prices.

In other words, just as American consumers face higher prices for necessities like gas and heating oil, the dollar literally doesn't go as far as it used to. With wages stagnant for most workers, that means this oil spike is going to be even more painful. Hopefully, it won't last long.

(Excerpt) Read more at finance.yahoo.com ...

________________________ ___________________

Sounds like prosperity right around the corner.   ::)