Author Topic: Contagious  (Read 1728 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Contagious
« on: February 24, 2011, 06:32:55 AM »
How long is a cold contagious?

Finding different information, some being that it is contagious a day or so before symptoms and 5 days after the onset of symptoms.

Also, anyone have any good Grandma (or anyone) type "cures?"  One Grandma says the Zicam you shoot up your nose helps and another Grandma said Alka-Seltzer plus Cold meds as soon as symptoms start...also to gargle w/Listerine each night.
R

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: Contagious
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 07:03:07 AM »

Finding different information, some being that it is contagious a day or so before symptoms and 5 days after the onset of symptoms.

Also, anyone have any good Grandma (or anyone) type "cures?"  One Grandma says the Zicam you shoot up your nose helps and another Grandma said Alka-Seltzer plus Cold meds as soon as symptoms start...also to gargle w/Listerine each night.
stells..ether way...THIS WORKS

carpe` vaginum!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:10:22 AM »

Don't know about the contagious part.  Obviously, there's an incubation period, so if ya get sick, ya got the bug a couple of days prior.  

A lot of people like Zicam.  The up-the-nose stuff is not for me.  There were some law suits a few years back on that stuff.  People lost their "taste" or smell, even though it was shown they over-used the product (or something to that effect).  I'm an Airborne fan.  It works for me.  Does it "cure" a cold? No. And I don't think it's intended to.  It boosts the immune system.  I take it before germy events like traveling or holiday service at church and at the first hint I might of caught something or if I've had contact with someone who is sick.  That would be my husband right now.  I've just gone around the house and disinfected stuff (handles, remotes, the dogs  ;D)

It's been years, but I've used the Alka-Seltzer cold and it worked great to relieve symptoms.
:

w8m8

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:51:44 AM »

Zicam has been mentioned and is good

A neti pot helps to clean out the "clutter" and makes for freer breathing .. use warm water , with either saline or peroxide

plenty of natural vitamin C and warm liquids ... hot toddy is good for those who partake in consuming them

also I found this :

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1438/how-long-are-colds-contagious

To answer your question, the common cold is "contagious" between 24 hours before onset of symptoms until 5 days after onset. Like everything else this varies depending on the organism, but that's a pretty safe estimate. This period of communicability was determined by taking nasal washings of experimentally infected volunteers.

cough and sneeze into your elbow if you can't get to a tissue and wash your hands a lot  :)

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:58:58 AM »

Zicam has been mentioned and is good

its zinc..plain and simple...and i could post studies but i'm lazy...

however...why is zicam expensive?   cause it has the MOST bioavailable form of zinc in it...

i actually take it daily ...regardless...

for more info check : Optimum sports nutrtion by DR michael cologan..the book is out of print...good luck finding it but if you do..its a gem

carpe` vaginum!

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:37:06 AM »
A cold is catchable as long as you have it but should only last 3 or 5 days.  If it's the influenza it's contagious beforehand and when you do catch that it lasts 2 or 3 weeks (I had the swine flu for 3 weeks at Christmas and felt like dying)

Old wives tale is ...stuff a cold and starve a fever, as in:  eat lots of warming food if it's a cold.  
>>>In future Vit C plus garlic and onions are a good option in winter to fend off colds.

I am fairly certain that all the chemi sprays and anti-bac stuff will make you intolerant and allergic and asthamic (sp), so stay away from stuff like that, fresh air will do you no end of good.

Eat lots if it's a cold.  i caught a cold 3 weeks after I'd recovered from the killer flu (having been running around barefoot in sub-zero weather chasing after a dog which ran off.  

& I prefer big cotton handkerchiefs or snazzy bandanas to tissues, my nose skin gets too dry with paper.

this last winter I've had it all.  And I've always said I never get sick. On the bright side: at least I'm now immune to the flu for a few years...

xxxLinda
Oranges, vit C and garlic and onions, spicy food for colds okay?  And don't kiss anyone.

Zinc is one of the most important minerals used by the body for various functions and fortunately, there is a wide variety of zinc food sources available naturally for you to take advantage of. To give you an idea just how important it is, zinc helps in the production of about 100 enzymes in your body, builds you a healthy immune system, maintains your senses of smell and taste and is needed for DNA synthesis.
Foods Containing Zinc

Zinc is very much associated with protein foods. Thus, you may assume that most foods high in zinc are protein-rich as well. The best sources of zinc include beef, lamb, pork, crabmeat, turkey, chicken, lobster, clams and salmon.

If you are a vegetarian, you will most probably intake less zinc that those who have meat-based diets. Good zinc food sources aside from meats are dairy products such as milk and cheese, yeast, peanuts, beans, and wholegrain cereals, brown rice, whole wheat bread, potato and yogurt. Of all these vegetarian zinc foods, pumpkin seeds offer one of the most concentrated non-meat food sources of zinc.

Zinc Foods: Foods Rich in Zinc Content

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 06:56:30 PM »
DNP the hell out of it!!!

bench