Author Topic: So you want to go to Law School  (Read 2655 times)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
So you want to go to Law School
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:47:12 AM »

"1"

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
Re: So you want to go to Law School
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:48:47 AM »
I found you, sillybunz

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:50:01 AM »
I found you, sillybunz

I'm way more GAY than that silly boy!

That's merely just a child.

"1"

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »
good lord   :o

i opend up pandoras box or anal cavity whatevr you call it

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »
I disagree with that video, it seems the only real complaint against law schools is the money

harvard is free if you work in the public sector for 5 years, or it use to be but I think they changed that in favor of a more appealing system.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 10:03:43 AM »
I disagree with that video, it seems the only real complaint against law schools is the money

harvard is free if you work in the public sector for 5 years, or it use to be but I think they changed that in favor of a more appealing system.

Out of curiosity, besides Corporate Law, what other sector allows for comfortable living?

"1"

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »
Out of curiosity, besides Corporate Law, what other sector allows for comfortable living?

"1"

divorce and civil defense - depending upon area

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 10:10:27 AM »

"1"

corporate law can make someone very wealthy. But there are those that disagree with the "privileged position of business" (I took that term from a book I'm on about the problems of american democracy). So I think there are those that are willing to give up the vast wealth in support of the ideal democracy. So what fields does this leave them? There are places in criminal law and philosophy of law that can bring about both a comfortable living and job satisfaction. Also, it's important to mention, that not all law school graduates end up in corporate law or in a courtroom fighting some DUI charge. There are a vast number of top law school graduates that are CEOs of Fortune 500 companies (I think the president of china is also a harvard law grad for example).

So the point is that it's important to take job satisfaction into account, not just money. And top law schools lead to other opportunities, such as placement in top companies that isn't just coporate law.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »
good lord   :o

i opend up pandoras box or anal cavity whatevr you call it

8)

D

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 10:17:30 AM »
corporate law can make someone very wealthy. But there are those that disagree with the "privileged position of business" (I took that term from a book I'm on about the problems of american democracy). So I think there are those that are willing to give up the vast wealth in support of the ideal democracy. So what fields does this leave them? There are places in criminal law and philosophy of law that can bring about both a comfortable living and job satisfaction. Also, it's important to mention, that not all law school graduates end up in corporate law or in a courtroom fighting some DUI charge. There are a vast number of top law school graduates that are CEOs of Fortune 500 companies (I think the president of china is also a harvard law grad for example).So the point is that it's important to take job satisfaction into account, not just money. And top law schools lead to other opportunities, such as placement in top companies that isn't just coporate law.

you talking harvard here

no one from loyola law is runnin GM ???

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 10:21:40 AM »
you talking harvard here

I'm giving the examples of the top law schools. I think something similar can be said of lower law schools and placement in lower companies. Of course nobody from Loyola law will run GM because there are more qualified out there. But I don't think that shows law schools themselves to be a waste.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »
you talking harvard here

Very good point!

While Magoo makes theoretically sound points, in real life, unless you gaduate from the top Law Schools, don't count on getting amazing jobs at top Law Firms or even positions that allow for comfortable living as a lawyer.  

The market today for Lawyers is very difficult, unless you graduate from that umm state school, what is it called again?  Oh, that's right, Harvard..

"1"

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 10:28:50 AM »
Very good point!

While Magoo makes theoretically sound points, in real life, unless you gaduate from the top Law Schools, don't count on getting amazing jobs at top Law Firms or even positions that allow for comfortable living as a lawyer.  

The market today for Lawyers is very difficult, unless you graduate from that umm state school, what is it called again?  Oh, that's right, Harvard..

"1"

I think it's generally well known that "unless you to go to top law schools, don't count on getting amazing jobs at top law firms." I think this argument can be made about any degrees (if you don't go to a top business school, don't expect to be CEO of a top business). That has to do with being qualified. But I think it's a stretch to say that it's impossible to make a comfortable living unless you go to harvard. I've heard most of these arguments before and I think it's more of an argument against the cost of law schools, not the existence of law schools or against being a lawyer. If someone can afford to go to a lower level law school without ending up in massive debt, then I believe they will make a comfortable living.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 10:31:04 AM »
I think it's generally well known that "unless you to go to top law schools, don't count on getting amazing jobs at top law firms." I think this argument can be made about any degrees (if you don't go to a top business school, don't expect to be CEO of a top business). That has to do with being qualified. But I think it's a stretch to say that it's impossible to make a comfortable living unless you go to harvard. I've heard most of these arguments before and I think it's more of an argument against the cost of law schools, not the existence of law schools or against being a lawyer. If someone can afford to go to a lower level law school without ending up in massive debt, then I believe they will make a comfortable living.

So you start this fall Magoo?

"1"

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 10:32:10 AM »

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 12:29:05 PM »
Let's put it this way and I realized AFTER going to college. VERY few people go into a profession and realistically do market research as to what their income will be.

All the retards going into psychology, art, history, econ, comm ...guess what only a small percentage of these grads will make a GOOD comfortable living (I'm talking atleast $70K take home a year)
You can still live on around $50 a year...but not comfortably unless your expenses are low.

You have to be a complete fucktard to become a lawyer and not make a great living.

DUI, Divorce and traffic law are HUGE money makers. Who doesn't know somebody who ever had a divorce, dui, or lawyer for a traffic issue ?

Too many people think just because they go to a great school and get some sort of degree it automatically guarantees a great salary and good living.

You have to be marketable to the current job market/economy.

I work in a pharmacy and there are a lot of 4th (P4) students doing rotations. Guess what? In chicagoland area there will be 4 schools of Pharmacy with an influx of roughly 500-600 new grads every year. What does this mean? The market will be saturated and jobs will be very competitive.

It used to 15 years ago in Pharmacy that recruiters would go to your school and would give you a sign on bonus, company car, pay part of your loans...different perks, etc. But now that the market is saturated in that field ...speaking Chicagoland area, jobs are hard to come by. I know grads from 2010 that drive forklifts in a warehouse because they can't find a job.

People go into a major like law, medicine, ...what have you thinking there will be prestige or whatever reason after they graduate. Guess what? There's no prestige when you're barley making a living.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 10:04:14 PM »
Thank you!!!

THE BEEF

Threads need to be Un-Gayed.  8)
D

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 10:32:21 PM »
Let's put it this way and I realized AFTER going to college. VERY few people go into a profession and realistically do market research as to what their income will be.

All the retards going into psychology, art, history, econ, comm ...guess what only a small percentage of these grads will make a GOOD comfortable living (I'm talking atleast $70K take home a year)
You can still live on around $50 a year...but not comfortably unless your expenses are low.

You have to be a complete fucktard to become a lawyer and not make a great living.

DUI, Divorce and traffic law are HUGE money makers. Who doesn't know somebody who ever had a divorce, dui, or lawyer for a traffic issue ?

Too many people think just because they go to a great school and get some sort of degree it automatically guarantees a great salary and good living.

You have to be marketable to the current job market/economy.

I work in a pharmacy and there are a lot of 4th (P4) students doing rotations. Guess what? In chicagoland area there will be 4 schools of Pharmacy with an influx of roughly 500-600 new grads every year. What does this mean? The market will be saturated and jobs will be very competitive.

It used to 15 years ago in Pharmacy that recruiters would go to your school and would give you a sign on bonus, company car, pay part of your loans...different perks, etc. But now that the market is saturated in that field ...speaking Chicagoland area, jobs are hard to come by. I know grads from 2010 that drive forklifts in a warehouse because they can't find a job.

People go into a major like law, medicine, ...what have you thinking there will be prestige or whatever reason after they graduate. Guess what? There's no prestige when you're barley making a living.
Open up the phonebook...look at how many attorneys there are...many attorneys are living hand to foot....plus have to pay back all the loans...And just because you have a JD Degree, doesn't mean you are the shit...some go to Law School (many women) just for the ego trip of having Esq behind their names

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 10:49:01 PM »
Open up the phonebook...look at how many attorneys there are...many attorneys are living hand to foot....plus have to pay back all the loans...And just because you have a JD Degree, doesn't mean you are the shit...some go to Law School (many women) just for the ego trip of having Esq behind their names

I completely agree. That's what I said in the post. Too many assholes go to school, rack up debt for those prestigious title in front of their name or the initials behind their names. (This does not apply for the people who had their school paid for by their parents obviously)

They don't look at the current job market or the job market 5 or 10 years down the road because they've got dreams of grandure of being a lawyer or whateveyou profession.

I know this one stupid guy who got his fucking UNDERGRAD HISTORY (completely useless) from University of Chicago ($50,000 a year) now he's got a $200,000 and growing debt that will follow him for the rest of his life until it is paid because even if you file bankruptcy ...that shit does not apply to student loans. This asshole smokes weed and jerks off on his buddy's couch all day since graduating. This kid is the exact type of fuckhead who I'm talking about. Thinks that having a piece of paper from a prestigious school like U of Chicago will magically open doors to a big fat yearly salary.  There are many many people like him.

I work with a guy who's daughter went out of state to Ohio State to become a theater major. This asshole is paying for his daughter $30,000 a year plus expenses so she can fucking one day make it on the big screen. By the way he talks about her she seems like a jaded Paris Hilton type of bitch who loves to party and thinks her degree will open Hollywood doors to multi million dollar pay days.

So yeah ... bottom line is young kids have no fucking clue what they're doing when declaring a major for the most part (me included but atleast I have $0 student loan debt) College isn't bad! It's bad when you're going for the sake of going and end up either sleeping on a couch because you can't find a job and have debt or you end up in a totaly unrelated field with bullshit pay.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 10:56:33 PM »
I completely agree. That's what I said in the post. Too many assholes go to school, rack up debt for those prestigious title in front of their name or the initials behind their names. (This does not apply for the people who had their school paid for by their parents obviously)

They don't look at the current job market or the job market 5 or 10 years down the road because they've got dreams of grandure of being a lawyer or whateveyou profession.

I know this one stupid #### who got his fucking UNDERGRAD HISTORY (completely useless)

;D ;D ;D ;D

My undergrad was History /Secondary Education....

I said to hell with teaching, and I thought I was going to go into Law School...11 yrs later I'm not there, but I deal with criminals all day...

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 11:09:13 PM »

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 11:30:35 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D

My undergrad was History /Secondary Education....

I said to hell with teaching, and I thought I was going to go into Law School...11 yrs later I'm not there, but I deal with criminals all day...

Well here in Illinois if everything worked out you would have been a tenured high school teacher making around $80-$90 a year IF ... you worked in a decent to affluent high school district and kept taking classes up to and past your masters (lot of schools pay for that)

I'm good friends with a retired teacher who just started collecting this past year. Fucker taught for 25 years. Here in our corrupt state of Illinois where unions rule (it's a beautiful thing if you're in the union) he is getting $80,000 a year in pension plus healthcare with 3% increase every year. They figure out your pension based on your last 4 highest earning years. So what they did for him (common practice) is his 21st year bumped his salary to $100,00 then $110,000 ...etc until he retired and then they took that average and take 80% and BOOM there's your pension until you die.

BTW I verified this info because you can check teachers salaries in IL online.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
Well here in Illinois if everything worked out you would have been a tenured high school teacher making around $80-$90 a year IF ... you worked in a decent to affluent high school district and kept taking classes up to and past your masters (lot of schools pay for that)

I'm good friends with a retired teacher who just started collecting this past year. Fucker taught for 25 years. Here in our corrupt state of Illinois where unions rule (it's a beautiful thing if you're in the union) he is getting $80,000 a year in pension plus healthcare with 3% increase every year. They figure out your pension based on your last 4 highest earning years. So what they did for him (common practice) is his 21st year bumped his salary to $100,00 then $110,000 ...etc until he retired and then they took that average and take 80% and BOOM there's your pension until you die.

BTW I verified this info because you can check teachers salaries in IL online.
My mother taught for 42 yrs, and retired in 2009...It was in my blood, and still is...bought herself a E350 as a retirement gift  ;D 

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 01:45:32 AM »
After forty fucking two years of anything an e350 is well deserved!!!!!!!!!