Author Topic: Dusty Rhodes as a heel  (Read 4282 times)

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Dusty Rhodes as a heel
« on: February 25, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »
I was reading the thread about the Horsemen's attack on Dusty.  I started wondering why he never made a heel turn.  We had plenty of heels but that could have been so huge.

My only thought is they really didn't have a huge face to take over, but I don't believe that.

Of course the stock answer is that he refused because when he and Murdock broke that kid's neck, it changed his lif for good.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Dusty Rhodes as a heel
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »
I was reading the thread about the Horsemen's attack on Dusty.  I started wondering why he never made a heel turn.  We had plenty of heels but that could have been so huge.

My only thought is they really didn't have a huge face to take over, but I don't believe that.

Of course the stock answer is that he refused because when he and Murdock broke that kid's neck, it changed his lif for good.

haha, the Texas Outlaws !!  I wonder if that story is even true.

As far as a heel turn, can you imagine at the height of the Horsemen vs Dusty and friends if Dusty had turned on Magnum TA in a tag match?  and then have the Horsemen turn on Dusty a few months later and break his leg for about the 10th time....  ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »
WOW, what timing.....Dusty just did a little heel turn on Smackdown !!

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 06:36:31 PM »
WOW, what timing.....Dusty just did a little heel turn on Smackdown !!

Really?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 07:19:16 PM »
Really?

Sho nuff....... he cut an inring promo asking Cody to come out and apologize to Rey.....after Cody apologized and walked off, Dusty shook Rey's hand but wouldn't let go and Cody blasted him.....it was actually pretty good......Cody even did the old-school rubbing Reys face on the metal walkway grates......LOL   Wanna be he comes out next week with a Ricky Morton face burn?

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »
Sho nuff....... he cut an inring promo asking Cody to come out and apologize to Rey.....after Cody apologized and walked off, Dusty shook Rey's hand but wouldn't let go and Cody blasted him.....it was actually pretty good......Cody even did the old-school rubbing Reys face on the metal walkway grates......LOL   Wanna be he comes out next week with a Ricky Morton face burn?

You will never know with his cool mask.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 07:30:49 PM »
You will never know with his cool mask.

Cody took his mask off and a couple of refs from the back came out with a towel to cover his face.....

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »
Cody took his mask off and a couple of refs from the back came out with a towel to cover his face.....

I will give him one thing, he has resisted the urge to take it off many times, and probably had to argue to keep it.

A Mil Mascaras he is not though!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 08:11:52 PM »

I'm glad WWE had him keep the mask.
No offense to Mysterio, but I think that mask is almost as important to his character as his ring work.
IMO, it was a tad lame when he wrestled without it in WCW during his "Rey Rey" gimmick.

Dick Beyer was super-protective when it came to his mask.
He ran a radio show for a while and would even go out to dinner in the damn thing.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »

I'm glad WWE had him keep the mask.
No offense to Mysterio, but I think that mask is almost as important to his character as his ring work.
IMO, it was a tad lame when he wrestled without it in WCW during his "Rey Rey" gimmick.

Dick Beyer was super-protective when it came to his mask.
He ran a radio show for a while and would even go out to dinner in the damn thing.

I agree, he looked a 12yr old trying to be tough without it in WCW.

A lot of the old-timers were serious about their's....  Masked Superstar and Mr Wrestling II would drive between venues with them on..... hahah, imagine seeing that drinving down the road !!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »
Once again, a veteran shows the young bucks how to cut a promo.

He had a theme "You lost focus" and then wove it through the whole story. Textbook storytelling.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 06:55:10 AM »
Once again, a veteran shows the young bucks how to cut a promo.

He had a theme "You lost focus" and then wove it through the whole story. Textbook storytelling.

Probably didn't have to use any writers, either.
I wonder how many of today's "stars" even watched the older stuff.
You can learn a lot simply by watching.

I already knew a lot regarding how to work before I began formal training.

Many of the guys today seem clueless, although I suspect many of them can & will improve.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 04:46:57 AM »
Dusty has always been the ultimate babyface that can relate to the people. Why creative chose to do that I don't know.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 03:28:38 PM »
Dusty has always been the ultimate babyface that can relate to the people. Why creative chose to do that I don't know.

That is why I think a big heel turn could have been huge back in the day.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 05:56:33 AM »
That is why I think a big heel turn could have been huge back in the day.
Nah...not for Dusty. Money wise I think they did the right thing with him with his fueds with the horsemen. 

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »

The other option would've been to have Cody attack Dusty, but that wouldn't have made sense as they were trying to set up Cody against Rey, not Cody against Dusty.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »
Nah...not for Dusty. Money wise I think they did the right thing with him with his fueds with the horsemen. 

Thats what BIG and I were talking about recently.  They really didn't have anybody to replace Dusty as the top face who was as over as he was.  Magnum would have been, if not for the accident....

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 04:55:09 AM »
Thats what BIG and I were talking about recently.  They really didn't have anybody to replace Dusty as the top face who was as over as he was.  Magnum would have been, if not for the accident....
Dusty just clicked really well with the people. IMO it would have been very foolish to turn him heel back then. I think they played their cards right on that one. Man, him and Tully Blanchard had some of the best matches I can remember.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 05:44:50 AM »
Dusty just clicked really well with the people. IMO it would have been very foolish to turn him heel back then. I think they played their cards right on that one. Man, him and Tully Blanchard had some of the best matches I can remember.

Dusty turning heel during that time would have been on par with Hogan joining the nWo.....probably even more shocking as when Hogan turned, he was already getting a mixed reaction from the WCW crowds.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 05:52:19 AM »
Dusty turning heel during that time would have been on par with Hogan joining the nWo.....probably even more shocking as when Hogan turned, he was already getting a mixed reaction from the WCW crowds.
Not usre. When Hogan joined the NWO and turned heel his charactor had already become stale by then. He was litterally getting bood and they had to put out the fake cheers on the speakers. The WCW southern fans didn't particularly like Hogan so the heel turn was perfect at that time.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 05:59:44 AM »
Not usre. When Hogan joined the NWO and turned heel his charactor had already become stale by then. He was litterally getting bood and they had to put out the fake cheers on the speakers. The WCW southern fans didn't particularly like Hogan so the heel turn was perfect at that time.

I worded my post badly, I agree with you.  I think the Dusty turn would have been more of shock to fans as Hogan wasn't as over with WCW fans at the time of his turn, as Dusty was in the 80's.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 06:41:34 AM »
I worded my post badly, I agree with you.  I think the Dusty turn would have been more of shock to fans as Hogan wasn't as over with WCW fans at the time of his turn, as Dusty was in the 80's.
All good. I remember watching that bash at the beach PPV on Direct TV back then and i was in total shock when it was revealed that Hogan was the third man. Never saw it coming but it was a brilliant move by Bishoff.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 06:52:40 AM »
All good. I remember watching that bash at the beach PPV on Direct TV back then and i was in total shock when it was revealed that Hogan was the third man. Never saw it coming but it was a brilliant move by Bishoff.

No doubt.  They played it out very well.  Only problem was during the actual turn he was walking out to the ring, when imo, they should have had him charge in just like normal.....but that is nitpicking.  I will give Bisch some of the credit, but most goes to Hogan who saw a great thing and made sure he was in on it.  Smartest business man in wrestling, bar none.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 07:27:30 AM »
No doubt.  They played it out very well.  Only problem was during the actual turn he was walking out to the ring, when imo, they should have had him charge in just like normal.....but that is nitpicking.  I will give Bisch some of the credit, but most goes to Hogan who saw a great thing and made sure he was in on it.  Smartest business man in wrestling, bar none.
Hogan is worth 30 million (and thats after his divorce to the gold digger) and for good reason.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 07:30:31 AM »
Hogan is worth 30 million (and thats after his divorce to the gold digger) and for good reason.

Absolutely.  It amazes me that a guy with his lack of formal education, etc... was able to be so savy in a business that has destroyed so many over the years who KNEW better.....  I doubt he would talk about it TOO openly, but it would be great to find out who his info back in the day was from who helped him "get his."  Both in wrestling and out of wrestling.  Does he talk about it in his book?