Author Topic: Chest tips for people with wide shoulders  (Read 6529 times)

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
Chest tips for people with wide shoulders
« on: February 25, 2011, 06:34:45 PM »
Sup ya'll. I have extremely wide clavicles and while that has it's perks, sadly it leaves my chest looking a bit shallow. It is REALLY tough for me to get my chest to have any real thickness and depth.

This is something I remember Cutler talking about, and just wondering if anyone has any copies of the routine he used to bring his chest up, or any routines for guys with wide shoulders in general?

I personally have been experimenting a lot with dips and decline flyes recently. I remember reading an article where Jay stated he had wide shoulders and struggled for years getting his chest to grow. I think he said starting chest workouts with decline flyes fixed it for him, over time.

Post routines and advice please.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
Re: Chest tips for people with wide shoulders
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 06:35:52 PM »
Cutler's training routine will not help you.  Maybe his drug routine.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:44:26 PM »
ive the same exact problem, wide back, good delts and a chest lacking thickness!!!!   dont think i'll ever have a full chest what ever i do

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »
Seriously.......somethin g I've found that worked awesome and I've recommended to others... do your pressing movements first, all of them, then do incline and flat db flyes, focusing on stretch, not weight.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Alexander D

• Getbig IV
  • Johnny Falcon for President
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 07:03:43 PM »
Sup ya'll. I have extremely wide clavicles and while that has it's perks, sadly it leaves my chest looking a bit shallow. It is REALLY tough for me to get my chest to have any real thickness and depth.

This is something I remember Cutler talking about, and just wondering if anyone has any copies of the routine he used to bring his chest up, or any routines for guys with wide shoulders in general?

I personally have been experimenting a lot with dips and decline flyes recently. I remember reading an article where Jay stated he had wide shoulders and struggled for years getting his chest to grow. I think he said starting chest workouts with decline flyes fixed it for him, over time.

Post routines and advice please.

incline barbell press, bring the bar down to your neck- pause at the bottom 2 seconds (but dont rest the bar on your chest) then press, flex, squeeze... focus on the flex and squeeze more than lifting a stupid heavy amount of weight where you end up using more delts and triceps than you need to.

also dont overlook simple things like pushups. They are a great exercise and a lot of people dont do them. I usually do a few sets of pushups at the end of my chest workout.

Evo

• Getbig IV
  • you racku disapwin!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 07:18:35 PM »
Nothing is going to make that much difference, you just need more muscle to fill the area. 

I have a similar problem.

GWAR

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 07:21:04 PM »
Seriously.......something I've found that worked awesome and I've recommended to others... do your pressing movements first, all of them, then do incline and flat db flyes, focusing on stretch, not weight.
this is what i do to your mom

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 07:24:45 PM »
this is what i do to your mom

LOL...... brutal.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 10:33:27 PM »
Seriously.......something I've found that worked awesome and I've recommended to others... do your pressing movements first, all of them, then do incline and flat db flyes, focusing on stretch, not weight.
I do something like that. First a pressing movement (incline), then move on to a fly (incline), then a pressing (flat) and finish with a fly (flat).

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 10:35:05 PM »
Cutler's training routine will not help you.  Maybe his drug routine.

Methyl Mike is going to be the first drug free pro (in 3 years)

Maybe this is his first speed bump?

roccoginge

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 11:12:40 PM »
Pull your scapula inward toward each other, and don't move them.  Then bench, whether it's incline, decline, or regular.  Keep your scapula inward.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »
Pull your scapula inward toward each other, and don't move them.  Then bench, whether it's incline, decline, or regular.  Keep your scapula inward.

I had a buddy who was a PT teach me that. I have forgotten to do it lately, probably time I got back to it.

My issue is that my pecs do not easily contract. It's tough to really feel my chest squeeze and contract doing any kind of press. I feel flyes and dips though. I have been sticking with those quite a bit lately. But I seem to build the most mass doing the barbell presses. Hmm.

My latest routine was incline db flye followed by flat db press, then decline flyes and dips. The workout previous was incline bb press followed by incline flye, then decline flye and dips.

Just trying to find the perfect routine and concentrate on it for a few weeks.

Where do you all place cable crossovers in terms of ability to stimulate muscle? Maybe as a pre-exhaust? I do them sometimes at the end as a pumping movement, I do actually seem to get really good contractions from them. But I have this mental stigma attached to them that they do not build muscle, especially as I do not feel them if I go heavy enough to get less than 12 reps. Thoughts?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 03:33:59 PM »
bench press. dont your roll shoulders forward. keep shoulder blades pinched. focus on increasing poundage.

lets say you currently bench 275 for sets of 6. if you can work yoru way up to 365 for sets of 6 your chest is going to grow. is has to.

good luck

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »
If Methyl Mikes chest sucks now it'll always suck. Deal with it.  :D

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 03:38:46 PM »
If Methyl Mikes chest sucks now it'll always suck. Deal with it.  :D
maybe in relation to the rest of his body. 

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »
maybe in relation to the rest of his body. 

Exactly. His proportions will not change to appreciable degree no matter what. He's no newbie from what I know.

But if he finds the solution he should tell Centerfoni. :D

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 03:43:53 PM »
Exactly. His proportions will not change to appreciable degree no matter what. He's no newbie from what I know.

he could stop training front delts for a while

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Try wide-grip bench presses to the throat for sets of 20 to 25 reps.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »
Try wide-grip bench presses to the throat for sets of 20 to 25 reps.

Tried that years ago, I honestly do not remember if this worked or not. Might have to give it a go. Flat bench right? Smith machine or no?

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 04:00:37 PM »

Exactly! Look @ liar priest. Like any other body part, once its shitty it usually never changes.

No one except for Bob Paris had everything ( no homo )

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 04:01:22 PM »
he could stop training front delts for a while

I don't train front delts usually. In fact I hit shoulders once a month now and no matter how fast everything else grows they stay ahead or even pace with everything else.

I actually spent a lot of last year and this year doing chest and arms and then taking a few days off then hitting them again, then a normal split, then another couple weeks focused on them. My proportions are actually MUCH better, everything is damn close to evening out. But my fear is that soon I will want to bulk up and put on weight and when I go back to hitting everything equally my chest and arms will go back to lagging behind.

Thing is I have a REALLY small waist and REALLY wide shoulders. As soon as I put on weight my back legs and shoulders get really massive but my chest can't seem to thicken out as fast because it's really wide and my arms do not get smaller, they just need a ton of extra size to look right. Not sure if any of this makes sense...

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 04:03:11 PM »
Flat bench, but I suppose that you could stimulate a similar effect by taking the seat down way low on a machine so that it would mimic the movement more correctly. Not to mention the fact that it would be a bit safer on a machine, since lowering the bar to your throat may cause a little anxiety lol

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 04:04:37 PM »
bench press. dont your roll shoulders forward. keep shoulder blades pinched. focus on increasing poundage.

lets say you currently bench 275 for sets of 6. if you can work yoru way up to 365 for sets of 6 your chest is going to grow. is has to.

good luck
lol he is not going to put a 90 pound increase on his bench any time soon - your theory is right though but remember MM is going to turn pro all natural  :D

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 04:07:57 PM »
MM,

Try Wide grip bench presses to your neck, Gironda Dips, Low Incline flies, cable crossovers and other chest movements that take your delts out of the movement.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 04:11:02 PM »
I love how you guys jump on me for trying to improve some weaknesses that I have. Because, you know, no bodybuilder has ever improved on a weakness. In fact, the essence of bodyBUILDING is to just wake up perfect and then run onstage, win some trophys and then retire. Centopani should just give up now as should any pro or recreational bodybuilder with some weaknesses. Also note I never said my chest SUCKS, I said having wide shoulders it's tough for me to keep it thickening and looking right with the pace that everything else grows.