Author Topic: How does someone achieve true happiness?  (Read 7084 times)

mahg

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
How does someone achieve true happiness?
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:24:42 AM »
They say that's the meaning of life - the pursuit of happiness.

I seem to have achieved most of my goals yet happiness seems to elude me...  :-\

???

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
Re: How does someone achieve true happiness?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:28:55 AM »
The smart ones believe that its better to be happy than right

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:31:01 AM »
Post on GB.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:31:31 AM »

I seem to have achieved most of my goals yet happiness seems to elude me...  :-\

???
The meaning of life is purpose, not pusuit of happiness. Some libertarian thought that shit up, while blazed on heroin and a whore on his cock...

Everyone in life truly seeks a purpose, one's soul picked one's body due to the purpose it saw it that person's life. Finding your purpose brings happiness. Seek your path, and you'll find your purpose...some people have spurts---look you are food at what you do, correct? Use that to find your purpose...
You can't find happiness in whores and Rolexes, only momentarily fleeting moments of joy...then you realize that there are only here to please you...not make you happy.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:35:21 AM »

???
Your mom achieved true orgasm with me.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 10:51:15 AM »
The Keys to Happiness, and Why We Don't Use Them

"It requires some effort to achieve a happy outlook on life, and most people don't make it."
—Author and researcher Gregg Easterbrook

Psychologists have recently handed the keys to happiness to the public, but many people cling to gloomy ways out of habit, experts say.

Polls show Americans are no happier today than they were 50 years ago despite significant increases in prosperity, decreases in crime, cleaner air, larger living quarters and a better overall quality of life.

So what gives?

Happiness is 50 percent genetic, says University of Minnesota researcher David Lykken. What you do with the other half of the challenge depends largely on determination, psychologists agree. As Abraham Lincoln once said, "Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

What works, and what doesn't

Happiness does not come via prescription drugs, although 10 percent of women 18 and older and 4 percent of men take antidepressants, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. Anti-depressants benefit those with mental illness but are no happiness guarantee, researchers say.

Nor will money or prosperity buy happiness for many of us. Money that lifts people out of poverty increases happiness, but after that, the better paychecks stop paying off sense-of-well-being dividends, research shows.

One route to more happiness is called "flow," an engrossing state that comes during creative or playful activity, psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi has found. Athletes, musicians, writers, gamers, and religious adherents know the feeling. It comes less from what you're doing than from how you do it.

Sonja Lyubomirsky of the University of California at Riverside has discovered that the road toward a more satisfying and meaningful life involves a recipe repeated in schools, churches and synagogues. Make lists of things for which you're grateful in your life, practice random acts of kindness, forgive your enemies, notice life's small pleasures, take care of your health, practice positive thinking, and invest time and energy into friendships and family.

The happiest people have strong friendships, says Ed Diener, a psychologist University of Illinois. Interestingly his research finds that most people are slightly to moderately happy, not unhappy.

On your own

Some Americans are reluctant to make these changes and remain unmotivated even though our freedom to pursue happiness is written into the preamble of the Declaration of Independence.

Don't count on the government, for now, Easterbrook says.

Our economy lacks the robustness to sustain policy changes that would bring about more happiness, like reorienting cities to minimize commute times.

The onus is on us.

"There are selfish reasons to behave in altruistic ways," says Gregg Easterbrook, author of "The Progress Paradox: How Life Gets Better While People Feel Worse" (Random House, 2004).

"Research shows that people who are grateful, optimistic and forgiving have better experiences with their lives, more happiness, fewer strokes, and higher incomes," according to Easterbrook. "If it makes world a better place at same time, this is a real bonus."

Diener has collected specific details on this. People who positively evaluate their well-being on average have stronger immune systems, are better citizens at work, earn more income, have better marriages, are more sociable, and cope better with difficulties.

Unhappy by default

Lethargy holds many people back from doing the things that lead to happiness.

Easterbrook, also a Visiting Fellow at the Brookings Institute, goes back to Freud, who theorized that unhappiness is a default condition because it takes less effort to be unhappy than to be happy.

"If you are looking for something to complain about, you are absolutely certain to find it," Easterbrook told LiveScience. "It requires some effort to achieve a happy outlook on life, and most people don't make it. Most people take the path of least resistance. Far too many people today don't make the steps to make their life more fulfilling one."

http://www.livescience.com/health/060227_happiness_keys.html

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:16:36 AM »
Hi mahg. You asked questions about happiness, or the lack thereof.

just Forget what mainstream researchers and scientists tells you. they are just afraid,not confident in their ways and ideas, that's why they try to push it on everybody, it's just a defense mechanism of their psyche. Trust me, We have all the answers to happiness inside already.

brother, it's because you have set goals. and you achieved goals.

you want to instead look at natural free people, like the Hunza people. And live your life with a free mind, as you would in the garden of Eden, because that's where we are.

Hunza are considered the happiest people on earth, also the healthiest, and have longest life span.

live as freely and natural as possible. Eat very little if any conscious life forms. You might think none of it, but your subconscious, which remains very honest to yourself, takes notes of every choice you make in life and it adds up.

oh yeah, stop any GMO. Monsanto is SATANs family spawned from Israel. They are killing the natural seeds of the planet so that you become genetically lobotomized consuming flesh-robot to bring them power of wealth and control for a new world order that is 100% callous.

Realize it has come to this, a showdown of Hunza vs Satan
Free natural thinking  vs Monsanto type thinking

with this in mind, you can make the right choices in your life to bring you happiness and inner peace

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »
Some say happines is finding your soulmate. Others equate it with riches be them physical or spiritual. In other cases reaching 5'8" along with puberty.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 11:25:52 AM »

Can't you be happy and still not have achieved all your goals yet?

I mean I consider myself to be a pretty happy guy... I guess happy about what I've accomplished and about where I am right now, but I still have a lot of things I want to accomplish!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:44:09 AM »
True happiness can only be reached when the person understands that "problems" are never a problem

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 11:48:43 AM »
1-Be healthy!
2-Get rich!
3-Built an harem with 365 beautiful girls for each day of the year!(at the end of the year replace them with 365 new beautiful girls)
  ;D

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 11:51:29 AM »
Your mom achieved true orgasm with me.

You make very valid points

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 11:52:06 AM »
1-Be healthy!
2-Get rich!
3-Built an harem with 365 beautiful girls for each day of the year!(at the end of the year replace them with 365 new beautiful girls)
  ;D

theoretically you would only need around 40-50.  I usually run through about 15-20 in a row and then find one that I can keep the same one for a month or two before I get tired and have to keep moving again.

whataname

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »

Dipadidu

• Getbig IV
  • any problems? work out!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 12:13:58 PM »
Lift weights, feel the muscle & get big  :-*

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 12:15:49 PM »
“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »
There is a great book that I read a little bit from each day.

It is called: "Learn to Relax" - a practical guide to Easing tension and Conquering Stress by Mike George.

Here is one small quote: "None of us is truly happy if those closest to us are not. Our own goodness will be reflected back at us in the happiness of others. The goodness of others will inspire us further."

We have a choice. We can opt for self-contained individualism, belief in a world separated from mind and body, and in our own significance, which makes us fearful of such a world. Or, we can opt for an integrated perspective, the influence of the mind and body in perfect balance with the world's influence. Once we can see the world as our world, not theirs, and our selves as influential agents in the complex interplay of the world, self and body, fear starts to drain away.

Peace and Harmony approach, like shy creatures to a hand that feeds them.

It kind of makes you wonder if hanging out at Getbig is'nt in direct opposition to what might make one at peace with himself, especially if you reflect on the statement "None of us is truly happy if those closest to us are not"

Yeah, I know, we don't think of eachother as being "those closest to us..." yet we talk and bitch at eachother each and every day. We are in fact "closer" than we think.

Unfortunately.

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 12:42:12 PM »
The meaning of life is purpose, not pusuit of happiness. Some libertarian thought that shit up, while blazed on heroin and a whore on his cock...

Everyone in life truly seeks a purpose, one's soul picked one's body due to the purpose it saw it that person's life. Finding your purpose brings happiness. Seek your path, and you'll find your purpose...some people have spurts---look you are food at what you do, correct? Use that to find your purpose...
You can't find happiness in whores and Rolexes, only momentarily fleeting moments of joy...then you realize that there are only here to please you...not make you happy.

Are u sure ur black? jk but I agree with that statement

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 12:48:08 PM »
Are u sure ur black? jk but I agree with that statement
Hahaha, I tend to have moments of fleeting philosophical "genius". I have to be in certain mood. Have the time, I don't realize what I just wrote...

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 12:50:55 PM »
if material wealth were happiness then why is USA on more prescription drugs and psychotropics than any other nation. Even people that reached goals and accomplishments often feel their life's as dull, monotone, stress full and fleeting.

Big big key to happiness as you get older is how satisfying you bowel movement is, in terms of shape, consistency and completeness.

More focus should be devoted to a diet and lifestyle that consistently produce a joyful and complete feeling of release / "birth", sustained by a well functioning shit function

as life progress this probably becomes more and more important .  

mahg

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 12:54:49 PM »
>Make lists of things for which you're grateful in your life,

I think that's always in my head so no need to make a list.

>practice random acts of kindness,

I used to, but it seems people here hate u when u do smth for them, they almost start expecting things from u and feel a sense of self-entitlement. Weirdly, I feel better not doing anything for any1 anymore.

>forgive your enemies,

That's difficult. Ok I will try. For starters, I forgive every1 on here who said bad things to me and will no longer respond to the negative comments.

>notice life's small pleasures,

Its nice to be in an airconditioned room I guess.  :D

>take care of your health,

Off to the gym in a few hours.

>practice positive thinking, and

I will try.

>invest time and energy into friendships and family.

Wish I had some social skills.  :-\

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 12:55:08 PM »
screw all the shit above,... just hang out with Dalai Lama
I am a mini beast

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 12:55:45 PM »
you sure as hell don't achieve happiness buy buying some fake azz rolex

mahg

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 01:00:10 PM »
you sure as hell don't achieve happiness buy buying some fake azz rolex
[/img]

Actually I feel good about myself whenever I look at the watch on my hand. Its not the be all and end all, but there's some joy and pride from knowing ur better than other people and smarter thats why you were able to afford the expensive status symbol that communicates to the world you're the man.  8)

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 01:01:05 PM »
screw all the shit above,... just hang out with Dalai Lama
And even the Dalai Lama wished he had a Army...the fatal flaw with Buddhism is that at some time and place, someone may want to kill you, eff you up...to do nothing means you might not exist anymore---no how can one find happiness, without existance?