Author Topic: HOMELESS Ms. Colorado and the United States Healthcare system.  (Read 1727 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
 :-\

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41778312/ns/today-today_fashion_and_beauty/

By Seamus McGraw

Homeless Miss Colorado: 'Anyone can fall victim to this'

It was last November, just a month after her greatest triumph — winning the Miss Colorado USA pageant — when the knock came on the door of the townhouse 23-year-old Blair Griffith shared with her ailing mother.
She watched, stunned, as sheriff’s officers, armed with an eviction notice, tossed all of their worldly possessions into trash bags. And just like that, the young woman whose beauty and poise had put her on the path to the Miss USA crown was homeless.
Even so, Griffith is not bitter. Instead, she told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira Friday, she hopes her experience can inspire others. After all, she pointed out, many Americans are in the same dire straits.
“Anyone can fall victim to this with the situation that’s going on in today’s economy,” Griffith said. Still, she admitted, “It was terrible. When you go through the eviction process, they basically come in and throw all your belongings into trash bags and you have no idea where anything is, and you’re just trying to get your life together in two hours’ time. It’s very difficult.”

Multiple misfortunes

The road that led to that awful moment began years earlier, when Griffith was in eighth grade and her father, who had encouraged the young tomboy to enter the pageant world, took ill. When he died of prostate cancer, “that’s when things really started to take a downward turn,” Griffith told Vieira.
Soon, the stress of being a single mom to two children took its toll on Griffith’s mother, Bonita; she suffered a heart attack that required surgery, and was unable to work. Bonita Griffith lost her insurance when her insurer declared that the heart attack was the result of a pre-existing condition. That meant that she had to pay her medical expenses, including $800 a month for medications, out of her own pocket.

Blair, meanwhile, knew things were bad, but had no idea how bad. She continued her four-year quest to capture the Miss Colorado USA crown, and on October 31, she won it.
“It was a dream come true,” she said. “Four years I had tried to win the title of Miss Colorado USA; it’s just been a big, huge goal for me, and it was definitely one of those moments in life when I said, ‘Thank you.’ Something great had definitely happened.”

But then, a month later, came the eviction. “It was really unexpected for me. I wasn’t aware that we were being evicted from our home until we got the knock on the door from the sheriff saying, ‘We’re coming in and moving you out,’ ” Griffith said.
Related: Miss Colorado USA looks for a place to hang her crown
“It was just very hard seeing everything, all of my belongings, my dresses that I wanted to compete in at Miss USA, thrown into a trash bag and nowhere to be found,” she added.
Message of hope
And recently Griffith, who juggles a full-time job with the personal appearance demands of her position as Miss Colorado USA, got more bad news: The Saks Fifth Avenue store where she works is closing in March, another victim of the sagging economy.

Still, Griffith says she counts herself and her mother as luckier than many: “We’re doing good by the grace of great friends who let us come in and stay in their homes,” she said. “We have a place to stay right now. Of course, we’re just trying to work to get our lives back together again to be able to afford our own home.”
And Griffith has also kept her eyes on another prize: She continues to prepare for the Miss USA pageant in June in Las Vegas, which she hopes will give her a platform for her message of hope.
“My message when I get there is just that I want to be an inspiration to everyone and show you that no matter the hardships you’re facing, if you stay focused on your dreams and your goals, you can achieve them.”
© 2011 MSNBC Interactive.  Reprints

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: HOMELESS Ms. Colorado and the United States Healthcare system.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:08:57 AM »
Palins' fault.   Bushs' fault.   Cheneys' fault.   Big Oils' fault.   Koch Bros fault. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:17:54 AM »
Palins' fault.   Bushs' fault.   Cheneys' fault.   Big Oils' fault.   Koch Bros fault. 

Not really.  They did not create the Insurance stranglehold on Healthcare.  Bush and the Koch brothers surely supported it and strengthened it as did Obama under the current plan.  I hope this helps and you should be thanking Obama if you support the system in the past as it just only got stronger with Insurance companies at the forefront. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:22:10 AM »
Maybe if Obama fixed the economy instead of passing his WTF agenda - the jobs situation would have been better and she would have gotten employment that had healthcare and a decent wage.   

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:29:25 AM »
Maybe if Obama fixed the economy instead of passing his WTF agenda - the jobs situation would have been better and she would have gotten employment that had healthcare and a decent wage.   

lol.. what are you.. 12?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:32:07 AM »
lol.. what are you.. 12?

No, a business owner who speaks with tons of other business owners who wont hire anyone else until obama and his gang of communist crooks is long gone.   He spent 1.5 years on his HealthScam and now everyone else suffers.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:33:20 AM »

Seriously?  What a dunce statement.  Callous as always to the plight of real Americans.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 09:36:08 AM »
Seriously?  What a dunce statement.  Callous as always to the plight of real Americans.

Sorry - times up for your hope and change crap you gave the nation.   No more blaming bush, no more blaming cheney, big oil, palin, etc.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 09:40:06 AM »
Sorry - times up for your hope and change crap you gave the nation.   No more blaming bush, no more blaming cheney, big oil, palin, etc.

I blame people like you, not them. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »
I blame people like you, not them. 

Why?  Cause I don't buy into your communist utopia? 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 10:52:34 AM »
Why?  Cause I don't buy into your communist utopia? 

Yes providing health care to all is so communist  ::) Wow what a revolutionary marxist hunter you are.  McCarthy ain't got nothing on your paranoia!
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 10:53:53 AM »
Yes providing health care to all is so communist  ::) Wow what a revolutionary marxist hunter you are.  McCarthy ain't got nothing on your paranoia!

Ever hear of EMTALA ad Medicade? 

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »
Nothing wrong with universal health care if done correctly. Obamacare, completely different issue and it's a death knell to the economy.

I wish you morons would understand the difference. It has been proven endlessly on this board how bad Obamacare is yet you idiots refuse to understand.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »
Nothing wrong with universal health care if done correctly. Obamacare, completely different issue and it's a death knell to the economy.

I wish you morons would understand the difference. It has been proven endlessly on this board how bad Obamacare is yet you idiots refuse to understand.

i actually agree.. like all the way.. universal healthcare is great if done right.. obamacare is pure shit..
ok im gonna jump off a bridge now

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 02:09:53 PM »

Exactly.  Universal health care can work, it just never will in the US due to our government, and it has NOTHING to do with the president be it democrat or republican.  The entire government is to blame.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 02:22:33 PM »
Exactly.  Universal health care can work, it just never will in the US due to our government, and it has NOTHING to do with the president be it democrat or republican.  The entire government is to blame.
Qft

And with no limit on contributions from companies do you think the medical industry, pharms etc.. Will ever put their money into a candidate that wants to push UHC?

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »
Universal Healthcare CANNOT work, certainly not in a country of 300 million people. Look, the solution is simple. Pay for health insurance the same way you pay for auto insurance. Watch premiums and health care prices go down.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 03:37:53 PM »
mal and kc ive shown time and time again how obama has put his agenda before the well being of the economy and neither of you have responded to it...

why do you guys respond to this comment but never to the ones where i point out step by step how obama chose his liberal agenda over the economies well being?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 04:43:14 PM »

agreed

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 04:44:43 PM »
Blah blah blah.  If the economy was better she would have a job and health care.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 04:45:35 PM »

yes i agree, it can work but too many compromises have to be made which is why it is a noble cause but not as efficient as it could have been

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 05:21:41 PM »
Seriously?  What a dunce statement.  Callous as always to the plight of real Americans.

If you so worried about her send some money, but no that's right you expect the government to regulate charity as well ::)

You guys sit here an complain about this and that, but when the rubber meets the road your not willing to part with a cent to help real Americans, unless of course you can get the government to make everyone do it. The government fucked up the health care system in the first place, yet you want them to fix it ::). They won't fix it, we will get a cluster fuck like Obama care,  get the government out of it other than NECESSARY regulation and we would all be better off.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 06:52:48 PM »
If you so worried about her send some money, but no that's right you expect the government to regulate charity as well ::)

You guys sit here an complain about this and that, but when the rubber meets the road your not willing to part with a cent to help real Americans, unless of course you can get the government to make everyone do it. The government fucked up the health care system in the first place, yet you want them to fix it ::). They won't fix it, we will get a cluster fuck like Obama care,  get the government out of it other than NECESSARY regulation and we would all be better off.

Exactly.  These are the same dweebs dodging every fucking thread about all the healthcare exemptions the administrations handing out to just anybody for the asking.  Nothing like feigned outrage to act like you really care!

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »

This is what always makes me laugh. I guarantee that these people NEVER donate any of their time to volunteering somewhere like their local hospital or soup kitchen. They're content trying to spend everyone else's money and dropping $0.50 into the Salvation Army pot every Christmas.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 09:23:43 AM »
Thats a dumb assumption.

I physically go down to Skid row myself every sunday with 100 sandwiches friut and chips because thats what i can afford. Anyone on this board in LA is welcome to join me.. Every sunday at 10.00 pm.. thats my church.. i know i am more fortunate then some of the people out there.. and instead of giving money to some guy who says he is Gods friend.. me and my friends take church time to help real people. So dont come on here talking about these are the people that never donate.. thats just not true..

Also.. as for time.. i have been coaching innercity football for the last 3 years for absolutley free zero dollars.. ask kids where they get their cleats.. some of the kids that have no parents at home.. ask them how they eat.. Coach pigford.. i sleep about 4 hours a night because of work/school and voluenteer work.. please please dont just pull statements out of your hind quaters.

and 3333 your arguments are out of wack.. like i said before you use the buckshot approach mixed with some flat out lies.. so you arent worthy to debate.. and when when you are found wrong you like to dilute the argument anyway.. so its pointless.. now ANYONE else on the board is ok to have a conversation with reguarding politics.. but your approach is so immature.. its just boring