Author Topic: Dog's spine fused together  (Read 13765 times)

chafed_nut_sack420

• Getbig IV
Dog's spine fused together
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »
It's been a long time since I've posted on getbig because up until now my dog, Johnny, has been doing great.

I noticed a few days ago that he started walking funny. His hind legs would criss cross and drag on the ground to the point where he'd bleed his knuckles up. He was hesitating jumping into the truck and stopped greeting us at the door, he was hesitant going down stairs.

I found out today through xrays that he has calcification of the spine. Basically the bones in his spine have fused together and are putting a great strain on his nerves. The build up of bone is located in the lower area of his back but doesn't effect the upper and very lowest portions. Looking back, I can now see there were really small indicators that things were not right but I couldn't put my finger on it, (hes the first dog I ever owned). It's amazing how much his walking has been affected in just a few days.

It's killing me to know he might be in pain even though he's been prescribed pain killers. I don't wanna see my dog turn into a medicated blob that lays in bed all day. It's been a great 10 years with my big buddy and we've been through many ups and downs together, its goes without saying that this new news has been pretty hard to accept.

The vet says that she can't perform surgery, (too advanced of a stage?) and all we can do is try to make the rest of his life as comb fortable as possible.

Anyone else have to deal with this crap? What can I expect in terms of how long he can go on with this disease? Any help would be appreciated. There isn't much I wouldn't do for my bud.

[

newmom

Re: Dog's spine fused together
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:41:47 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this. He looks and I'm sure he's a great buddy.

Can they do surgery? Does he seem to be in alot of pain?

I hope he gets well soon

chafed_nut_sack420

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 06:42:29 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this. He looks and I'm sure he's a great buddy.

Can they do surgery? Does he seem to be in alot of pain?

I hope he gets well soon

No, I was told surgery is not an option and he does seem to be in pain when he's not on pain meds. His tail is tucked between his legs and his head kinda hangs low with his ears curled. He doesnt want to go on longer walks and has been laying in bed for most of the days. He doesnt have the strength to stand up for long periods of time either.

The disease he has is irreversable but I was hoping that with the meds he could have a decent life for a little bit longer. I hope he gets better soon too.

newmom

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 06:59:33 PM »
No, I was told surgery is not an option and he does seem to be in pain when he's not on pain meds. His tail is tucked between his legs and his head kinda hangs low with his ears curled. He doesnt want to go on longer walks and has been laying in bed for most of the days. He doesnt have the strength to stand up for long periods of time either.

The disease he has is irreversable but I was hoping that with the meds he could have a decent life for a little bit longer. I hope he gets better soon too.

Yikes, so sorry to hear this.  :( :( :(

Get well little buddy

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »
I know it's a hard thing to deal with.  I've been through this many times and it is never easy.  At some point you are going to have to weigh the dogs pain against your happiness.  I had a dog I let live in pain way to long and I still regret it.  That was selfish of me.  If the tail is tucked and head down and lethargic it may be time to let go.  Not trying to be an asshole here at all.  Be grateful you got 10 years of great companionship.  Good luck to you and your dog.

chafed_nut_sack420

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »
Thanks guys. I feel a bit better just having an outlet. We're taking him to the vets again soon to make another assessment of his condition. I won't let him suffer needlessly as tough as that choice is. The actual name of his disease is spondylosis.

newmom

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:21:02 PM »
Thanks guys. I feel a bit better just having an outlet. We're taking him to the vets again soon to make another assessment of his condition. I won't let him suffer needlessly as tough as that choice is. The actual name of his disease is spondylosis.

Just remember, and this is tough but it's quantity vs. quality IMO. It's definitely a hard choice to make

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 09:46:03 PM »
I am very saddened to hear this.  My heart goes out to you.

Dogs exhibit pain in very different ways than humans.  Please do a little research so you know the signs.  Taking temperature is simple.  Use an instant read thermometer.  Panting, hunching over, hiding, trembling, sweaty paws can all be signs of pain.
:

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »
So sorry this is happening chafed :(

I sent this to Flower and if she has anything that could be helpful, I know she'll respond.

Those of us here really feel for you.  Please let us know the results of the next assessment.

R

chafed_nut_sack420

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:46:48 AM »
So sorry this is happening chafed :(

I sent this to Flower and if she has anything that could be helpful, I know she'll respond.

Those of us here really feel for you.  Please let us know the results of the next assessment.

Thanks. Flower has helped with good info in the past that relieved him of his skin and ear condition.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 01:59:06 PM »
I don't know if it was because of this thread but I had a wonderful dream about my dog last night.  Very cool.  Weird though because she has been gone for 15 years.  :-\

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 07:56:35 AM »
I don't know if it was because of this thread but I had a wonderful dream about my dog last night.  Very cool.  Weird though because she has been gone for 15 years.  :-\

What was it?  Was it like an old memory or something new so it sort of told you she is fine and in heaven? :)
R

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 08:47:59 AM »
What was it?  Was it like an old memory or something new so it sort of told you she is fine and in heaven? :)

No.  I was outside with her and she was rolling around and running.  I was my current age not a kid.  Sorta weird but had a good feeling about it.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »
No.  I was outside with her and she was rolling around and running.  I was my current age not a kid.  Sorta weird but had a good feeling about it.

:)
R

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 10:06:25 AM »
It's been a long time since I've posted on getbig because up until now my dog, Johnny, has been doing great.

I noticed a few days ago that he started walking funny. His hind legs would criss cross and drag on the ground to the point where he'd bleed his knuckles up. He was hesitating jumping into the truck and stopped greeting us at the door, he was hesitant going down stairs.

I found out today through xrays that he has calcification of the spine. Basically the bones in his spine have fused together and are putting a great strain on his nerves. The build up of bone is located in the lower area of his back but doesn't effect the upper and very lowest portions. Looking back, I can now see there were really small indicators that things were not right but I couldn't put my finger on it, (hes the first dog I ever owned). It's amazing how much his walking has been affected in just a few days.

It's killing me to know he might be in pain even though he's been prescribed pain killers. I don't wanna see my dog turn into a medicated blob that lays in bed all day. It's been a great 10 years with my big buddy and we've been through many ups and downs together, its goes without saying that this new news has been pretty hard to accept.

The vet says that she can't perform surgery, (too advanced of a stage?) and all we can do is try to make the rest of his life as comb fortable as possible.

Anyone else have to deal with this crap? What can I expect in terms of how long he can go on with this disease? Any help would be appreciated. There isn't much I wouldn't do for my bud.

[
sorry to hear this man. how about one of those dog wagon type things where the body is supported and the dog can move his or her legs for mobility.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 10:08:24 AM »

[
just looked it up for you go to dogcarts.com this might be of interest and good luck.
F