Author Topic: Fedor Considering Move to 205, Willing to Fight Dan Henderson  (Read 10465 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Sources close to the Russian say he is giving serious consideration to the prospect of fighting newly crowned Dan Henderson at 205 pounds.

The prospect of the fight was put to him by Strikeforce before the weekend’s Henderson/Feijao showdown.

Negotiations are underway and - if past experience is anything to go by - are likely to go on for some time. But the fight is of interest to all parties and is likely to happen later this year.
w

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Re: Fedor Considering Move to 205, Willing to Fight Dan Henderson
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »
He should drop to 205.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
Has he ever fought at 205? Curious to see if the lighter weight puts  some pep back in his step.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:11:47 PM »
He got by as a heavy weight by beating a bunch of cans that had weak MMA experience. Lightheavy is a much deeper weightclass with a lot more talent. He will get absolutely mauled. Of course, we are talking Strikeforce, so the competition is still a bunch of cans.
w

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
He got by as a heavy weight by beating a bunch of cans that had weak MMA experience. Lightheavy is a much deeper weightclass with a lot more talent. He will get absolutely mauled. Of course, we are talking Strikeforce, so the competition is still a bunch of cans.

right a smaller guy that dominated bigger guys for years would get "absolutely mauled" ::)

other than randy with his "great" wins over mike van arsdale and brandon vera who else do you think has the better resume?

E
E

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »
Hendo would be a perfect match-up for Fedor....

He's a washed up 40-yr old man with a hard right that just beat a can himself for that "coveted" belt.

No disrespect to Hendo, but the guy has never evolved and has some hard miles on that 40-yr old body.

A "big name" past his prime....perfect for Fedor and his management.

Seriously, it's a decent match-up, but 4 or 5 years too late.  

Henderson is not quite can status, so I doubt Fedor will take the fight.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:55:37 PM »
Hendo would be a perfect match-up for Fedor....

He's a washed up 40-yr old man with a hard right that just beat a can himself for that "coveted" belt.

No disrespect to Hendo, but the guy has never evolved and has some hard miles on that 40-yr old body.

A "big name" past his prime....perfect for Fedor and his management.

Seriously, it's a decent match-up, but 4 or 5 years too late. 

Henderson is not quite can status, so I doubt Fedor will take the fight.

Lol
w

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 06:24:04 AM »

I think that it's only been as of late that fedor fought cans.  I do agree with you that the LHW div is so weak in strikeforce though.  Henderson as champ?  Please.  He would get demolished at that division in UFC. 

I just wonder how the speed of a LHW would affect fedor.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:31:25 AM »

Once again i wonder how it is you became a moderator on this board. As i stated i do not like to participate in online confrontation however MMA is something i have had a deep interest in since the 80's, long before the UFC had its first event. For you to state that shows that you are foolish and new to the sport, most likely through the heavy promotion Dana has made since taking charge which, whilst great for its evolution, brings people like you into the equation.

Fedor is not in my top 10 for favourite fighters however denying the mans ability is as good as stating that a 48K Spectrum outperforms a PS3, or so you can understand - Captain Caveman can kick Superman's ass.

You are blinded by the product you have come to adore, brainwashed into believing that there is no real talent outside of the UFC and show post after post that you know absolutely nothing about the history of the sport or have any understanding as to how to actually rate people's abilities.

I have no doubt that he is over the hill and will never again hold a dominant position in the rankings but at his absolute best he was simply better than everyone else, and would have been the same at LHW. His speed at 230 was frightening, can you imagine it at 205? Oh sorry silly question, dont kill a brain cell thinking about it as your other 2 will forever be lost and alone...........

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »
Once again i wonder how it is you became a moderator on this board. As i stated i do not like to participate in online confrontation however MMA is something i have had a deep interest in since the 80's, long before the UFC had its first event. For you to state that shows that you are foolish and new to the sport, most likely through the heavy promotion Dana has made since taking charge which, whilst great for its evolution, brings people like you into the equation.

Fedor is not in my top 10 for favourite fighters however denying the mans ability is as good as stating that a 48K Spectrum outperforms a PS3, or so you can understand - Captain Caveman can kick Superman's ass.

You are blinded by the product you have come to adore, brainwashed into believing that there is no real talent outside of the UFC and show post after post that you know absolutely nothing about the history of the sport or have any understanding as to how to actually rate people's abilities.

I have no doubt that he is over the hill and will never again hold a dominant position in the rankings but at his absolute best he was simply better than everyone else, and would have been the same at LHW. His speed at 230 was frightening, can you imagine it at 205? Oh sorry silly question, dont kill a brain cell thinking about it as your other 2 will forever be lost and alone...........

You are making a bunch of assumptions about me, and they are wrong.  I stand by what I said.  Fedor was a dominant heavy weight.  I have already stated that numerous times.  But, all of us are in agreement, that the heavyweight division has for many years been the weakest of all the divisions.  During the Pride days, the best talent in terms of well rounded skills, experience, athletic ability, etc. was in the lower weight classes.  And of course, once the UFC got up and running, the heavyweight division remained a complete joke.  Even today, most of the truly talented fighters are IMO at 155, 170 & 205.

Fedor reigned over a division that was weak in talent.  He was able to use his smaller size/speed, to beat a lot of guys that were big, slow and lacked skills.  The exceptions are Nog & Crocop. 

So, fast forward to today.  Fedor has dropped 2 in a row.  Is it because he is past his prime?  I don't think so.  He lost to Werdum because he made a technical mistake.  He was dominated by Big Foot, because he went up against a bigger man with better skills.  He now knows that the days of beating clumsy big guys are over.  So, now he wants to drop to 205.  Guess what, probably a great idea since Strikeforce has a pathetic 205 division.  He will once again be doing what he does best...crushing cans.

If, however, he went to 205 in the UFC, he would be absolutely demolished by guys like, Jones, Rashad, Machida, Rua, etc.  The speed he once enjoyed against slow and unskilled heavyweights would no longer be an advantage.  He would now be up against some of the best P4P fighters in the game.

I know all you old Pride fanboys have a really hard time accepting that MMA today is better and today's fighters are light years ahead of the old guys.  But, it is what it is.  Just let go and embrace the new era. 

w

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 10:14:58 AM »
the great Fedor got old and his best are behind him, we all knew that would happen because it happens to everybody, some people just couldn't wait to call him "overrated" for proving to be human and because they hate anything that isn't dana's product

pride is not dead as long as rua and overeem are at the top of their weight classes, they too will some day be old and not the fighters they once were, much like ufc guys like liddell and hughes

pride will always be the greatest fighting organization we have ever seen, every event felt so epic

ufc had that cool underground cult like image before tuf, now it just seems like a more legit wwe that appeals to insecure wannabe tough guys

E
E

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 10:21:21 AM »
I think that it's only been as of late that fedor fought cans.  I do agree with you that the LHW div is so weak in strikeforce though.  Henderson as champ?  Please.  He would get demolished at that division in UFC. 

I just wonder how the speed of a LHW would affect fedor.

It's really funny to me that a lot of media is glamorizing his win over Cavalcante like he just beat a superstar. It was kind of crazy to me to see how Henderson was able to pull off that victory with a cocked right hand the whole fight. When it got to the ground he just stalled. It reminded me a lot of a 2005 Chuck Liddell.  Henderson has accomplished alot as a fighter and he was smart for riding out his career in Strikeforce where his style is still relevant and can make him the company superstar.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 10:26:40 AM »
the great Fedor got old and his best are behind him, we all knew that would happen because it happens to everybody, some people just couldn't wait to call him "overrated" for proving to be human and because they hate anything that isn't dana's product

pride is not dead as long as rua and overeem are at the top of their weight classes, they too will some day be old and not the fighters they once were, much like ufc guys like liddell and hughes

pride will always be the greatest fighting organization we have ever seen, every event felt so epic

ufc had that cool underground cult like image before tuf, now it just seems like a more legit wwe that appeals to insecure wannabe tough guys

E

Fedor got old....He's only 34. His STYLE is what got old.

I can say Fedor was overrated because he dodged the top ranked guys for the past several years.  He knew he would get smashed by the top ranked (UFC) HW's.  His last two losses confirm this.

I enjoy the popularity of MMA/UFC.  If it were kept as cult status, it most likely would have died.

The sport has grown much like the sports in the X games.  They are no longer cult-like.  Most people get past it and enjoy its popularity.  Without it, it wouldn't survive.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »

E

Pride had fixed fights, just like the WWE.  Listen to Bas Ruten's interview on the Rogan podcast.  Enough said.
w

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 11:22:09 AM »
I think if they're going to have fedor fighting @ 205 they need to give him someone a little bit easier than Hendo for his first fight there..

fedor has no experience cutting weight...

and the chance's of him doing it right the first time and not coming in drained are greater than if he's got at least a little experience doing it.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 11:32:34 AM »
I think if they're going to have fedor fighting @ 205 they need to give him someone a little bit easier than Hendo for his first fight there..

fedor has no experience cutting weight...

and the chance's of him doing it right the first time and not coming in drained are greater than if he's got at least a little experience doing it.

I agree. 

Have him fight a King Mo or a Mousasi as a tune-up fight at LHW.  Then, if he wins in convincing fashion, give him a title shot w Hendo. 

Honestly, Fedor SHOULD destroy anyone in Strikeforce at LHW.  The talent pool is awful. 

suckmymuscle

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 12:05:34 PM »
Sources close to the Russian say he is giving serious consideration to the prospect of fighting newly crowned Dan Henderson at 205 pounds.

The prospect of the fight was put to him by Strikeforce before the weekend’s Henderson/Feijao showdown.

Negotiations are underway and - if past experience is anything to go by - are likely to go on for some time. But the fight is of interest to all parties and is likely to happen later this year.

This is a mistake. Fedor should retire. If he wins all fights as a light-heavyweight, people like MindSpin will say they are cans or that Fedor wins by beating on smaller guys; if he loses, he will have been "exposed as too weak even for guys under 205 lbs". Fedor cannot win in the eyes of Zuffa zombies like MindSpin/WeightPSHR because they hate everything that isn't UFC.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 12:16:26 PM »
  This is a mistake. Fedor should retire. If he wins all fights as a light-heavyweight, people like MindSpin will say they are cans or that Fedor wins by beating on smaller guys; if he loses, he will have been "exposed as too weak even for guys under 205 lbs". Fedor cannot win in the eyes of Zuffa zombies like MindSpin/WeightPSHR because they hate everything that isn't UFC.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

You're right.  He could win every fight at 205 in StrikeForce and I would still say he is fighting cans.  If, however, he went to 205 in the UFC, I would have much more respect for him...even if he lost every fight.
w

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 12:23:30 PM »
Dan has been on a roll with that right hand as of late.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 12:25:19 PM »
You're right.  He could win every fight at 205 in StrikeForce and I would still say he is fighting cans.  If, however, he went to 205 in the UFC, I would have much more respect for him...even if he lost every fight.

I think Shogun would be terrified fighting Fedor. He already said in an interview he considers Fedor the greatest pound-for-pound ever. He also said that you had to see Fedor fight in person to see how ridiculously great he is. But what does Shogun know, right? He is just the UFC light-heavyweight champion. He certainly doesen't know as much as an MMA internet board moderator.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
Fedor would be fighting cans at 205 in strikeforce.  But what's the point? 

Personally, I think he gives it one more go at HW.  He's had 2 loses.  TWO!  Get back on the horse and see what happens next.  If he's catching Lindell-syndrome, then fine, retire.  But the guy is mid 30's.  Calling it quits at this point seems silly.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 12:35:10 PM »

If, however, he went to 205 in the UFC, he would be absolutely demolished

Yes, Fedor just went 1-1 on 2 rounds against a fighter who weights a lean 285 lbs, ate dozens of his punches straight to the jaw and remained conscious, and yet he would get "demolished" by guys under 205 lbs. For fuck sakes, man, do you have any idea how stupid you sound? Why the fuck do you pretend to be an MMA expert ??? ???

SUCKMYMUSCLE

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 12:56:17 PM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

The reality of Strikeforce is that the entire org consists of UFC REJECTS, UFC DROPOUTS, and UFC WANNABE'S. Besides Overeem and DIaz, I can't name one guy that has enough talent to even put on a prelim fight in the UFC.  Fedor and Hendo are just looking for easy payadays...can't blame them for that.

This doesn't mean I dislike Strikeforce...I just know what role they play in the MMA world.

Let's be frank here....Strikeforce is struggling, they can't even pull off an overhyped, fake ass tournament.  

If you think Strikeforce is where every fighter wants to be....then why are the payouts so much greater in the UFC?
Truth is, if you aren't in the UFC, it's because they don't want you.

Afterall, these guys are fighting for money right? Why in the world would someone opt for smaller paydays and sponsorships?

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 01:03:37 PM »
   Yes, Fedor just went 1-1 on 2 rounds against a fighter who weights a lean 285 lbs, ate dozens of his punches straight to the jaw and remained conscious, and yet he would get "demolished" by guys under 205 lbs. For fuck sakes, man, do you have any idea how stupid you sound? Why the fuck do you pretend to be an MMA expert ??? ???

SUCKMYMUSCLE

::)  I just listened to a discussion on the SRN, were the consensus was that Fedor at 205 in the UFC would get murdered.  Mind you, most of these guys are anti-UFC...
w

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 01:31:50 PM »

The reality of Strikeforce is that the entire org consists of UFC REJECTS, UFC DROPOUTS, and UFC WANNABE'S. Besides Overeem and DIaz, I can't name one guy that has enough talent to even put on a prelim fight in the UFC.  Fedor and Hendo are just looking for easy payadays...can't blame them for that.

QFT.