Author Topic: Live Eagle Cam!  (Read 113903 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: Live Eagle Cam!
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2011, 07:32:39 AM »
Today was the first time I could see them.everytime I checked last week the screen was either black or frozen.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2011, 11:53:14 AM »
Saw 2 sitting on the tree branches and one flew toward the nest camera.   :)

Banding
RRP hopes to band these juvies and place a satellite transmitter on one of them. The juvies will be captured on the ground a couple of weeks after they fledge. The small band with its identifying color and number goes around one of the ankles and does not bother or endanger the bird. The transmitter is mounted loosely and comfortably like a tiny backpack, and it does not interfere with flight or with head or neck movement. The process takes just a few minutes and does not frighten or harm the birds. It is possible to take measurements of the juvies as they are banded to determine their sex. Banding eventually gives researchers information on how far the bird has flown from its birth nest once it has died or is found injured; the band might also be spotted during feeding, nesting, or migrating and thus can be useful in tracking the eagle's movements. The transmitter will allow researchers to track the juvie regularly via GPS and will yield invaluable information on its behavior. The transmitter is designed to fall off after a few years. Banding and placing the transmitter will be done by Bob Anderson, Director of RRP, and other raptor experts who have banded many birds before and who always follow the safest protocols, and who will have obtained the required permits to do so. Bob discusses his excitement about this in a recent interview.

R

w8m8

« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »
Saw 2 sitting on the tree branches and one flew toward the nest camera.   :)

Banding
RRP hopes to band these juvies and place a satellite transmitter on one of them. The juvies will be captured on the ground a couple of weeks after they fledge. The small band with its identifying color and number goes around one of the ankles and does not bother or endanger the bird. The transmitter is mounted loosely and comfortably like a tiny backpack, and it does not interfere with flight or with head or neck movement. The process takes just a few minutes and does not frighten or harm the birds. It is possible to take measurements of the juvies as they are banded to determine their sex. Banding eventually gives researchers information on how far the bird has flown from its birth nest once it has died or is found injured; the band might also be spotted during feeding, nesting, or migrating and thus can be useful in tracking the eagle's movements. The transmitter will allow researchers to track the juvie regularly via GPS and will yield invaluable information on its behavior. The transmitter is designed to fall off after a few years. Banding and placing the transmitter will be done by Bob Anderson, Director of RRP, and other raptor experts who have banded many birds before and who always follow the safest protocols, and who will have obtained the required permits to do so. Bob discusses his excitement about this in a recent interview.

that's going to be very interesting .. I've wondered how far they go from "home" once they leave the nest

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2011, 06:38:24 AM »
Someone was manning the camera and panning around and showed one sitting on the roof of a nearby house.
R

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2011, 10:32:56 AM »
I haven't seen squat lately :(
:

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2011, 01:44:33 PM »

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2011, 09:19:26 AM »
There's one sitting on a branch right now!  Hurry!!!

;D

If you scroll all the way down there are videos you can watch of them including "Parent watches proudly as eaglet prepares for flight."
R

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »
Babies done gone!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2011, 05:16:38 AM »
Soon they will be doing baby hawks :)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2012, 12:17:02 PM »
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2012, 04:14:58 PM »
They're feeding right now!
 :D
:

w8m8

« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:14 AM »
just had fresh fish flown in for breakfast  :D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2012, 06:35:43 PM »
Very sad news :'(

July 3, 2012
We are very sorry to announce that D12 is dead. D12 was found electrocuted at the base of a power pole on a Sunday morning. We notified the power company, who modified the top of that pole on Sunday and several other poles in the area on Monday. As of this morning, they are continuing to identify and modify poles to make them raptor safe. If you find an electrocuted raptor or other bird by a pole, take it to the nearest wildlife center (if it is still alive) and contact your state DNR or local game warden and the utility company that owns the pole. You will need to:

1. Provide information about the dead or injured bird.
2. Identify the nearest pole to the electrocuted raptor by the pole identification number (on the pole itself) and local landmarks such as cross streets or street addresses (if applicable).

Include as many specifics as you can regarding the species and the incident. If possible, take photographs of the raptor and the pole to submit with your reports and notes.

Power lines themselves are not an electrocution hazard for birds (birds can and do sit on wires), but unshielded poles can be dangerous. The Avian Protection Plan Guidelines include information on raptor safe poles and modification of existing poles. New structures are fairly safe, but older poles may not be. Older poles may have been installed either before people were aware of electrocution hazards to wildlife, or during the decline of raptor populations in America, when interaction was less likely. Here is a link to more information about birds and utility structures, including poles: http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/CurrentBirdIssues/Hazards/APP/AVIAN%20PROTECTION%20PLAN%20FINAL%204%2019%2005.pdf
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2014, 02:58:20 PM »
EGG 3
Third egg is here on Sunday, March 2nd at 6:43 PM Videos below.

EGG 2!
The second egg arrived Wednesday, Feb. 26th, at 5:33 PM Videos are further down in the Egg Record section.

EGG! WE HAVE EGG!
Decorah's first egg of 2014 arrived on Sunday, Feb. 23rd at 4:55 PM CST Elf's video of 1st egg
Videos are also posted on RRP's FaceBook page. RRP FaceBook

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

:

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2014, 08:50:33 PM »
EGG 3
Third egg is here on Sunday, March 2nd at 6:43 PM Videos below.

EGG 2!
The second egg arrived Wednesday, Feb. 26th, at 5:33 PM Videos are further down in the Egg Record section.

EGG! WE HAVE EGG!
Decorah's first egg of 2014 arrived on Sunday, Feb. 23rd at 4:55 PM CST Elf's video of 1st egg
Videos are also posted on RRP's FaceBook page. RRP FaceBook

Do they usually/always have three eggs?

There is a nest near where I live that is being cammed, and I know the female laid three eggs. The first is expected to hatch around March 26.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2014, 10:12:52 AM »
New baby is here! :D

:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2014, 03:58:03 PM »
New baby is here! :D

That's such magnificent footage!

All of the eggs in our nest are now hatched. I watched the oldest peck his/her sibling in the head while getting fed yesterday. It didn't take long for the competition to start!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2014, 06:36:57 PM »
2nd egg in the process of hatching.

Today's highlight
1:38

:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2014, 08:24:25 AM »
All three babies are out.  This is when it gets exciting ~ watching mom and dad fly in fresh sushi,  quail, squirrel and rabbit.  Lots of activity for the next few months.
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »
I've determined that the oldest of our eaglets is an asshole.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2015, 04:21:44 AM »

And now there are Three Eggs!!

Egg #3, Wednesday, 2/25/15 6:57 PM Video:

Egg #2. Saturday, 2/21/15 7:01 PM Video:

Egg #1 Wednesday, 2/18/15 6:07 PM Video:http://youtu.be/wheZpvask4c

We are sorry to report that the 2014 juvie known as Four was electrocuted. Details can be found in this RRP Blog.http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2015/03/decorah-eaglet-four-electrocuted.html
We are sorry to announce that Four, the single remaining bird from the 2014 Decorah alumni to remain in the wild, was electrocuted on Tuesday, March 2nd. This is the fourth eaglet from Decorah that we know of to die from electrocution. Bob and a good friend picked her carcass up on Thursday after the Eagle Valley team notified us that they received a mortality ping. Bob and Brett examined her on Saturday and verified the cause of death.
________________________ ____
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2015, 03:34:41 PM »
Awe...

Sad news here, too:
Our BE's only laid two eggs this year, and one was broken on March 13th.
 :'(

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2015, 06:04:44 AM »
A new Bald Eagles nest was found on a tiny little island of the coast of CT. first one in recent memory :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2015, 08:41:36 AM »
A new Bald Eagles nest was found on a tiny little island of the coast of CT. first one in recent memory :)

Apparently, some U.S. states worked with the Canadian government to import some Eagles from up north. That's how we got ours. I guess they're hoping to increase the American population.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2015, 10:11:49 AM »

Apparently, some U.S. states worked with the Canadian government to import some Eagles from up north. That's how we got ours. I guess they're hoping to increase the American population.

Yeah I heard that but these two showed up on their own.