Author Topic: kidney damage in dogs  (Read 3567 times)

CC973

• Getbig III
kidney damage in dogs
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:47:30 AM »
My 8 year old had been throwing up, losing weight, lacked energy....I took her to the vet and the blood test came back showing she has severe kidney damage.  I kept her there for 4 days and they gave her fluids iv and other meds.  The vet told me there is nothing more they can really do for her there and said to take her home with more meds and see how she does. The food they gave me for her is called k/d renal health.  She does not like the food at all and would only take a few bites.  I started doing some home cooking for her and she eats more of that.  Its a mixture of a little ground beef, white rice, 2 slices of white bread, and 1 chopped up egg.  I was told that her diet should be low phosphorus, low to moderate protein, and high fat.  I am also giving her a bit of salmon oil and freeze dried green tripe as a treat.

Just wondering if anyone has been thought this and have any tips on supps or recipes I might try.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: kidney damage in dogs
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:31:07 PM »
We'll see if ~flower has any input.

Meanwhile, I can see why she's not liking what the vet gave you.  It's a Hill's product.  They make Science Death Diet.  I came across this list of other kd (kidney disease) foods.
http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/kd-dog-food-brands.html

Not sure the purpose of the white bread  ???  IMO too many crappy ingredients.  Would you eat white bread? 

Is she a big dog or small? 
:

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »
CC973, Flower said to check out this link:

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/category/kidney/

Hope everything turns out OK!
R

CC973

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 01:06:26 PM »
We'll see if ~flower has any input.

Meanwhile, I can see why she's not liking what the vet gave you.  It's a Hill's product.  They make Science Death Diet.  I came across this list of other kd (kidney disease) foods.
http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/kd-dog-food-brands.html

Not sure the purpose of the white bread  ???  IMO too many crappy ingredients.  Would you eat white bread? 

Is she a big dog or small? 

Thanks, Princess.

I agree that the Hill's pet food is poor.   I was feeding her high quality kibble when she was well.  My understanding from what the vet has told me and from some of the research I have done so far, is that that her diet needs to be low phosphorus and lower in protein.  That is the reason for white bread, white rice, and ground beef (higher in fat and lower in phosphorus). Also the salmon oil being a good source for omega 3's and vita e.

She is a medium sized dog.  She was about 55lbs and lost about 10 from being sick.

CC973

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »
CC973, Flower said to check out this link:

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/category/kidney/

Hope everything turns out OK!

Thank You.  I will read through that right now.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 02:20:48 PM »

Thanks, Princess.

I agree that the Hill's pet food is poor.   I was feeding her high quality kibble when she was well.  My understanding from what the vet has told me and from some of the research I have done so far, is that that her diet needs to be low phosphorus and lower in protein.  That is the reason for white bread, white rice, and ground beef (higher in fat and lower in phosphorus). Also the salmon oil being a good source for omega 3's and vita e.

She is a medium sized dog.  She was about 55lbs and lost about 10 from being sick.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing.  Look at low phosphorous diets for humans to get ideas too.

What is her prognosis?

:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 02:31:35 PM »
You saw this right?

Recipe #1
Mix 1/2 cooked sticky rice (sushi rice) cooked in unsalted butter with 1/2 HIGH fat hamburger or dark meat chicken (lower in phosphorus than white meat). Add two cooked egg whites (no yolk) per cup. You can make as large a batch as needed and freeze for daily portions. Save the egg shells, and add back one teaspoon of egg shell (dry overnight, grind in a coffee bean grinder) per two pounds of food. The egg shell is good for calcium and also acts as a phosphorus binder.
Recipe #2
Cook Malt o Meal and add one tablespoon of unsalted butter per cup. Cool, and add two tablespoons of heavy whipping cream (don’t need to whip it!). You may add a bit of meat (hamburger, ground chicken) and some gravy for flavor. I have also added chicken skin or beef fat for variety.
Recipe #3
Cook sticky rice (sushi rice) and add unsalted butter. Mix at 1/3 sticky rice, to 1/3 boiled sweet potatoes, and add 1/3 either ground pork, lamb or fatty hamburger. Add one egg white per cup. (You can substitute boiled potatoes for sweet potatoes).
Green tripe is also a pretty good food lower in phosphorus than other foods. You can buy this frozen at outlets that sell frozen raw diets for dogs, or buy it in cans called Tripett.
It is also good to occasionally add beef kidney, a bit of liver and egg yolks. While these are high in phosphorus, they do provide needed nutrients. . You can also mix either the rice or the vegetable mix with drained mackerel or salmon for variety and the fish already has bone steamed with it, so it is balanced properly for calcium. Because of the bone, fish is high in phosphorus and so should be used in very limited amounts. Do not feed tuna, as it is high in mercury.
Again, save your eggshells, and dry them overnight. Then grind them in a coffee bean grinder and add to the food served at 1/2 teaspoon per pound.
It is important to select fatty meat. So pork and lamb are also good choices to mix with the rice and they add a nice variety. Fat offers calories for energy and weight gain, and fattier cuts of meat are lower in phosphorus. Do offer a variety to keep your dogŐs interest and appetite hearty. More severe kidney problems can lend to loss of appetite and at these times, offering almost any type of food may be necessary.
Fish or salmon oil (NOT COD LIVER OIL!) needs to be 1,000 mg per ten pounds of body weight to be renal protective. Brown, S. A., C. A. Brown, W. A. Crowell, J. A. Barsanti, T. Allen, C. Cowell, and D. R. Finco. “Beneficial effects of chronic administration of dietary omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in dogs with renal insufficiency.” J Clin Lab Med 131:447-455 (1998).
www.ralstonpurina.com/breeders/magazine.asp?article=434

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/kidney-diet/
:

CC973

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 04:07:28 PM »

It sounds like you're doing the right thing.  Look at low phosphorous diets for humans to get ideas too.

What is her prognosis?

I couldn't really get a clear answer on her prognosis. I just need to make sure she eats, takes the meds, and drinks enough water (distilled).  The vet did tell me that there are dogs who are able to live for years while being in kidney failure. For now I am taking off work to be her full time caretaker for about a week. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 07:07:50 AM »
I couldn't really get a clear answer on her prognosis. I just need to make sure she eats, takes the meds, and drinks enough water (distilled).  The vet did tell me that there are dogs who are able to live for years while being in kidney failure. For now I am taking off work to be her full time caretaker for about a week. 

You sound like a good and loving Pet Owner :)

R

peruke

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »
My 8 year old had been throwing up, losing weight, lacked energy....I took her to the vet and the blood test came back showing she has severe kidney damage.  I kept her there for 4 days and they gave her fluids iv and other meds.  The vet told me there is nothing more they can really do for her there and said to take her home with more meds and see how she does. The food they gave me for her is called k/d renal health.  She does not like the food at all and would only take a few bites.  I started doing some home cooking for her and she eats more of that.  Its a mixture of a little ground beef, white rice, 2 slices of white bread, and 1 chopped up egg.  I was told that her diet should be low phosphorus, low to moderate protein, and high fat.  I am also giving her a bit of salmon oil and freeze dried green tripe as a treat.

Just wondering if anyone has been thought this and have any tips on supps or recipes I might try.

Science Diet has foods that are specific for dogs/cats with kidney issues... Check with your vet.....Pepcid A/C...is good to keep the stomach calm too, if that is an issue...Ensure can be used too...It is high calories, but if your pet is losing weight, it can help....Vanilla, or other flavior, but not Chocolate....Petco & Petsmart have natural supplements too...I am sorry to hear about you dog...  It sounds like you are doing the right thing, with the food you are giving your dog!!!   All the best to you & your pal!!!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 06:01:40 PM »

Science Diet has foods that are specific for dogs/cats with kidney issues... Check with your vet.....

peruke, do you have a dog?
:

peruke

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 06:45:50 PM »
peruke, do you have a dog?

I have a dog & a cat.....A Shepard/Collie mix, and an Orange Tabby!    I don't claim to be an expert... I just want to offer suggestions, like others...   :)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 07:11:24 PM »

I have a dog & a cat.....A Shepard/Collie mix, and an Orange Tabby!    I don't claim to be an expert... I just want to offer suggestions, like others...   :)

There are several reasons Science Diet is "popular".  One reason is because they donate to the vet schools, so that's what vets become familiar with.  Most vets, like doctors, learn VERY LITTLE about nutrition.  Another reason is vets get kickbacks (big $$$) from Hills to sell their foods in their practices, so that's what they push (sound familiar?).  

Sadly, Science Diet is about as nutritious as McDonald's for your pet.  There are MANY healthier alternatives available.  We've got several old threads here if you're interested.  Let us know or do some searching.
:

peruke

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 07:23:04 PM »
There are several reasons Science Diet is "popular".  One reason is because they donate to the vet schools, so that's what vets become familiar with.  Most vets, like doctors, learn VERY LITTLE about nutrition.  Another reason is vets get kickbacks (big $$$) from Hills to sell their foods in their practices, so that's what they push (sound familiar?).  

Sadly, Science Diet is about as nutritious as McDonald's for your pet.  There are MANY healthier alternatives available.  We've got several old threads here if you're interested.  Let us know or do some searching.

Thank you, but as I said in my post, I am not an expert!.... You are!!, and thats a good thing!!!    ;)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 07:36:12 PM »

Thank you, but as I said in my post, I am not an expert!.... You are!!, and thats a good thing!!!    ;)

Not at all  ;D  BUT I am on a crusade to save pets from Science Diet and all that other grocery store crap.
:

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 06:40:21 PM »
My 8 year old had been throwing up, losing weight, lacked energy....I took her to the vet and the blood test came back showing she has severe kidney damage.  I kept her there for 4 days and they gave her fluids iv and other meds.  The vet told me there is nothing more they can really do for her there and said to take her home with more meds and see how she does. The food they gave me for her is called k/d renal health.  She does not like the food at all and would only take a few bites.  I started doing some home cooking for her and she eats more of that.  Its a mixture of a little ground beef, white rice, 2 slices of white bread, and 1 chopped up egg.  I was told that her diet should be low phosphorus, low to moderate protein, and high fat.  I am also giving her a bit of salmon oil and freeze dried green tripe as a treat.

Try DOGtorx, it helps to regenerate the kidney cells, go to www.dogtorrx.com for information or www.petequinox.com