Author Topic: HELP!! need some ideas of getting more sleep  (Read 2414 times)

cbosmooth

• Getbig I
HELP!! need some ideas of getting more sleep
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:57:38 AM »
basically ive been lifting for five or so years and have seen gains every bulking stage but i look at friends or guys i see at the gym that ive seen in the gym and they have that look that we all strive for , the magazine look if you will.  I on the other hand have just gained a lot of mass (use to be skin and bone) and some definition (cutting now for first time) and the only thing i can think of is my sleep that might be hindering my progress.  I usually only get four hours a day due to me waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning and not being able to go back to sleep.  Any ideas on things to help you sleep all night?   thanks in advance

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: HELP!! need some ideas of getting more sleep
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 10:11:19 AM »
that low amount of sleep sucks for growth.  Try taking melatonin daily and make sure you cut caffeiene out or at least only in the mornings.  try that first and see what happens, sme people really respond well to that and also adding valerian root to the mix

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »
can not help you here....

bench

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:17:17 AM »
Try taking some ZMA an hour before bed. It really makes me sleep a full 8-9 hours straight.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 10:42:18 AM »
basically ive been lifting for five or so years and have seen gains every bulking stage but i look at friends or guys i see at the gym that ive seen in the gym and they have that look that we all strive for , the magazine look if you will.  I on the other hand have just gained a lot of mass (use to be skin and bone) and some definition (cutting now for first time) and the only thing i can think of is my sleep that might be hindering my progress.  I usually only get four hours a day due to me waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning and not being able to go back to sleep.  Any ideas on things to help you sleep all night?   thanks in advance

Try passiflora and chamomile teas. They do have a soothing effect.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 01:05:00 AM »
You guys all offer quick fixes...

In order to solve your problem, we need to look at the root causes: why is it that you can only get 4 hrs a day? You said you wake up in the early hours and can't go back to sleep. Are you stressed? Something constantly bothering you? Gf/financial/other problems?

Insomnia of that kind is often a cause of emotional dis-balance or stress. Think about what might be destabilizing you in life and try to get rid of that if possible. Usually does the trick.

And yes, prolonged insufficient sleep will cause metabolic distress. I heard about studies, which even find the link between prolonged lack of sleep and obesity and risk of early heart attack.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:56:33 AM »
If you need more sleep which it sounds like you do..... This works very well for me but i do have allergies and they are the main reason for this but try taking 1-2 benadryl tabs at night about 30 minutes before you lie down, It can help but if you dont have allergies then it might be a waste lol.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 01:38:46 PM »
One cup of coffee or the equivolent per day.  Cut simple sugars, like juices etc, out three hours prior to bed time...   and cut most carbs out prior to bed.  Insulin release hampers sleep. 

Keep caffeine to a minimum. 

Keep the temp in the house really cold at night.  This helps immensely.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 07:04:32 PM »

Hard workouts does that to me too. 4 - 5 hrs of sleep, tops. Hormonal imbalances.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 01:07:19 PM »
One cup of coffee or the equivolent per day.  Cut simple sugars, like juices etc, out three hours prior to bed time...   and cut most carbs out prior to bed.  Insulin release hampers sleep

Keep caffeine to a minimum. 

Keep the temp in the house really cold at night.  This helps immensely.

Actually, insulin release fosters sleep since it removes amino acids from your bloodstream thus allowing tryptophan to enter your brain and boost serotonin which makes you drowsy and sleepy.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:46:56 AM »
Go to bed earlier.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 11:01:28 AM »
  Actually, insulin release fosters sleep since it removes amino acids from your bloodstream thus allowing tryptophan to enter your brain and boost serotonin which makes you drowsy and sleepy.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Maybe a little insulin release.  But generally you don't want a large carb meal prior to bed because it hampers GH release. 

I notice a huge difference between NOT having many grams of carbos prior to bed and having them.  I sleep a ton better without.

promethyl

• Getbig I
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 06:32:30 AM »
I read an article recently by a doctor (as shown in Men's Health) who advocated making the room dark. Pitch black. Especially no blue light of any kind. And then, just sit there.

Think and daydream if this relaxes you, or clear your mind for a long time and just count forwards and backwards to 100. First in english, then in french, spanish... This should be done if it's relaxing to you. Like counting sheep.

Sit there for two hours. Every night. Sooner or later your mind will get it.

When you wake up in the middle of the night, tell yourself it's still bedtime, and attempt to go back to sleep.

The underlying issues should be considered. Just acknowledging your cause might give you some relief.

Avoid anything remotely stimulating before bed, no chemicals, no movies or car racing.

I'm hoping this helps. Try each person's suggestions for a week, and see what works for you.

Dr Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 08:02:43 AM »
I read an article recently by a doctor (as shown in Men's Health) who advocated making the room dark. Pitch black. Especially no blue light of any kind. And then, just sit there.

Think and daydream if this relaxes you, or clear your mind for a long time and just count forwards and backwards to 100. First in english, then in french, spanish... This should be done if it's relaxing to you. Like counting sheep.

Sit there for two hours. Every night. Sooner or later your mind will get it.

When you wake up in the middle of the night, tell yourself it's still bedtime, and attempt to go back to sleep.

The underlying issues should be considered. Just acknowledging your cause might give you some relief.

Avoid anything remotely stimulating before bed, no chemicals, no movies or car racing.

I'm hoping this helps. Try each person's suggestions for a week, and see what works for you.

Good suggestions here

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 10:13:21 AM »
Did anyone mention pounding a nice piece of arse prior to bedtime? 

Sex always puts me out right before bed

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 04:49:37 AM »
ZMA and a big glass of milk helps me fall asleep.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 06:11:25 AM »
ZMA and a big glass of milk helps me fall asleep.

Milk and the zinc won't mix too well.  It's well known that calcium hampers zinc absorption.  That being said:

I have supplemented with zma for great lenghths of time.  Good stuff.   What I would do is take your zma and go to bed.  If then you wake up later in the night, go drink some milk.  The magnesium will help out.  Just don't take the zma and milk around the same time.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 11:24:35 AM »
I had a sleeping problem for several years in which I would wake up at least a half dozen times each night, getting at most 5 hours of sleep tops.  I bought a light therapy device on recommendation from a friend, and it took my body about a month to get used to it.  At first, it actually made me more wired, but after my body got used to it, it worked wonders and I now fall asleep and pretty much stay sleep like I did when I was a kid.   Give it a shot... it may likely work for you as it did for me.  I didn't respond to melatonin or anything else, only light therapy.   It resets your body clock, and it's pretty darn difficult to not fall asleep now as my body now just wants to shut down around the same time each day now.   I'm normally a skeptical guy, but this thing actually worked awesome for me.

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/light-therapy/plus-rechargeable-hf3332_60/prd/en/

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 11:29:25 AM »
Smoke a bowl and rub one out. 
w

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »
Watch Dorian Yates "Blood and Guts" training video. It put me out in about 5 minutes.
 ;D

Actually, watching a video you've seen a zillion times can help you fall asleep faster. I do that from time to time, when I have trouble sleeping.

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
Watch Dorian Yates "Blood and Guts" training video. It put me out in about 5 minutes.
 ;D

Actually, watching a video you've seen a zillion times can help you fall asleep faster. I do that from time to time, when I have trouble sleeping.

I watch Nostradamus clips on YouTube and it knocks me out.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 03:14:20 PM »
6mg of Melatonin before bed does it for me.
Keep your room cool & dark.
Maintain a consistent sleep schedule.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 04:16:14 AM »
I started using Gaba before bed, not every day but the days I train heavy. Seems to give me a nice, refreshed sleep.....

Studies are still on the fence about GABA but I figured what the heck!