Author Topic: Nutritional Myths Busted.  (Read 5900 times)

suckmymuscle

Nutritional Myths Busted.
« on: March 17, 2011, 03:06:18 PM »
   Ok, I am moderator in the nutrition board - until DK demods me - and I am tired os seeing the same myths posted over and over again. Here are some nutritional myths which I am busting:

Myth: Aspartame causes blindness and brain damage

Fact: Aspartame is an amalgamated molecule of methanol, l-aspartic acid and l-phenylalanine. Methanol causes blindness by damaging the optic nerve, true, but the amount required is of the order of a quarter liter. Methanol is also present in most fruits in small amounts, but greater than that which is present in Aspartame. A glass of orange juice has 4 times more methanol than a can of soda, and yet I have never heard of anyone going blind from drinking orange juice.

As for l-phenylaline and l-aspartic acid being excitotoxins that destroy brain cells, it is not true in normal circumstances and they are present in the diet. So you will be getting some l-phenylalaine anyway. Even medical doctors who treat patients with phenylketonuria have not figured out hwo to eliminate l-phenylalanine completely from a diet because it is present in so many foods.

Both l-phenylalanine and l-aspartic acid can excite brain cells to death, but this doesen't happen to healthy people because of the blood-brain barrier. It blocks too much of certain amino acids - as well as germs and virii =-m from entering the brain in amounts that would be excitotoxic to neurons. And remember that l-phenylalanine is an essential amino acid, so you need to get it anyway and your body is ready to deal with any excess.

Myth: MSG causes brain damage

Fact: Free form Glutamate is present in many foods that we have  evolved to eat over the past tnes of thousands of years like cheese. It is not a toxic substance although free form glutamte is unusual in Nature - being present mostly in cheese and seaweeds.

Now, glutamate is implicated as responsible for a lot of the damage that amd neuronal destrouction that happens after strokes, but there is no indication that  exogenous glutamte causes any harm to neurons. Again, the blood-brain brrier protects the brain from any excess glutamate you might eat barring gigantic amounts. Glutamate can, however, damage or destroy neurons not protected by the blood-brain barrier, like those of the hypothalamus and retina. You would need to eat a pound of pure MSG at once to get any damage to your retina and hypothalamus, and even then no damage will happen to your cortex the thinking part of the brain...

Soy Is Estrogenic:

Fact: The isoflavones in soy are very weak in their estrogenic activity and not even remotely comparable to real estradiol and estrogen in their abiliy to stimulate estrogen receptors. There is no observable estrogen-like effect from soy eaten in normal amounts. Also, soy contains compounds that block real estrogen from latching on to receptors, which given it's low estrogenic activity means that soy is anti-estrogenic. You shouldn't eat soy because soy protein is an allergen to many people and because the polynsaturated fats in soy increase inflammation and oxidative stress, but not because it will tiurn you into women.

Myth: Protein stimulates muscle growth

Myth: Eating lots of protein will make you drink a lot of water to eliminate all the ammonia and uric acid of protein metabolism and make you fat, but won't put single ounce of muscle in your body. Muscles grow via a stimulus, mechanical or chemical, and not because you are overfeeding it protein. Actually, eating lots of protein will cuase you to lose muscle, as protein takes more calories to digest than it contains. If you wwant mass, then youi should eat lots of carb to spare protein. Protein is only used for muslce maintance and the amount of growth that happens day-to-day requires very little protein ok.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

Re: Nutritional Myths Busted.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 03:16:19 PM »
  Sorry for mispelling some words, but my keyboard is jamming.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE
Quit melting down and beating on it.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

shouldn't someone as smart as you be able to fix it in like 8 seconds?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:19:51 PM »
so how much protein each day is ideal?

E
E

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 04:19:12 PM »

E
Jack didnt worry about any of this stuff.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:08:18 AM »

E

Enough protein to maintain nitrogen balance plus the little bit you need to build new muscle each day. How much that is easy to calculate. You take into consideration your amount of lean muscle mass you have, the replenishing amount of protein each pound of lean muscle mass requires a day, then you multiply by the total number of pounds of lean muscle mass you have. Then you will add to that the amount you need to provide for growth each day. To calculate that, you take into consideration that Human muscles are 22% protein and then you calculate the total amount of muscle you will be gaining a month. So if you're gaining 2 lbs of lean muscle a month - 24 lbs a year, which is a lot -, then we calculate the total amount of protein you need if you weight 200 lbs at 10% bodyfat as follows: you have 180 lbs of lean body mass, of which 40% is muscle tissue - the rest are bones, internal organs and skin. So you have 72 lbs of lean muscle tissue. Each pound of muscle mass requires roughly 1 gram of protein to maintain a positive nitrogen balance. So 22 divided  by 1, roughly the replenishing rate of muscle protein is 3%. Gaining 2 lbs a month means 0.09 lbs of muscle a day. Since each pound of muscle has 22 grams of protein, you need  44 grams a month or slightly more than 1 gram total a day to build the extra muscle. So a 200 lbs bodybuilder at 10% bodyfat needs slightly more than 73 grams of protein a day to maintain his muscle mass and gain 2 lbs of extra lean muscle mass a month. Believe it nor not, this is all that is required. Protein is not used as fuel but simply to maintain a positive nitrogen balance...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

99 Bananas

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 02:17:24 AM »
  Sorry for mispelling some words, but my keyboard is jammingbeen masturbating to giant dudes and blasted on my keyboard.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 02:57:15 AM »
  Ok, I am moderator in the nutrition board - until DK demods me - and I am tired os seeing the same myths posted over and over again. Here are some nutritional myths which I am busting:

Fact: Aspartame is an amalgamated molecule of methanol, l-aspartic acid and l-phenylalanine. Methanol causes blindness by damaging the optic nerve, true, but the amount required is of the order of a quarter liter. Methanol is also present in most fruits in small amounts, but greater than that which is present in Aspartame. A glass of orange juice has 4 times more methanol than a can of soda, and yet I have never heard of anyone going blind from drinking orange juice.

As for l-phenylaline and l-aspartic acid being excitotoxins that destroy brain cells, it is not true in normal circumstances and they are present in the diet. So you will be getting some l-phenylalaine anyway. Even medical doctors who treat patients with phenylketonuria have not figured out hwo to eliminate l-phenylalanine completely from a diet because it is present in so many foods.

Both l-phenylalanine and l-aspartic acid can excite brain cells to death, but this doesen't happen to healthy people because of the blood-brain barrier. It blocks too much of certain amino acids - as well as germs and virii =-m from entering the brain in amounts that would be excitotoxic to neurons. And remember that l-phenylalanine is an essential amino acid, so you need to get it anyway and your body is ready to deal with any excess.

Fact: Free form Glutamate is present in many foods that we have  evolved to eat over the past tnes of thousands of years like cheese. It is not a toxic substance although free form glutamte is unusual in Nature - being present mostly in cheese and seaweeds.

Now, glutamate is implicated as responsible for a lot of the damage that amd neuronal destrouction that happens after strokes, but there is no indication that  exogenous glutamte causes any harm to neurons. Again, the blood-brain brrier protects the brain from any excess glutamate you might eat barring gigantic amounts. Glutamate can, however, damage or destroy neurons not protected by the blood-brain barrier, like those of the hypothalamus and retina. You would need to eat a pound of pure MSG at once to get any damage to your retina and hypothalamus, and even then no damage will happen to your cortex the thinking part of the brain...

Soy Is Estrogenic:

Fact: The isoflavones in soy are very weak in their estrogenic activity and not even remotely comparable to real estradiol and estrogen in their abiliy to stimulate estrogen receptors. There is no observable estrogen-like effect from soy eaten in normal amounts. Also, soy contains compounds that block real estrogen from latching on to receptors, which given it's low estrogenic activity means that soy is anti-estrogenic. You shouldn't eat soy because soy protein is an allergen to many people and because the polynsaturated fats in soy increase inflammation and oxidative stress, but not because it will tiurn you into women.

Myth: Eating lots of protein will make you drink a lot of water to eliminate all the ammonia and uric acid of protein metabolism and make you fat, but won't put single ounce of muscle in your body. Muscles grow via a stimulus, mechanical or chemical, and not because you are overfeeding it protein. Actually, eating lots of protein will cuase you to lose muscle, as protein takes more calories to digest than it contains. If you wwant mass, then youi should eat lots of carb to spare protein. Protein is only used for muslce maintance and the amount of growth that happens day-to-day requires very little protein ok.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

One of the best posts of GetBig...right on the level of Falconeer!!!!!!

BE/ACT/STAY/PRAY/PROCEED POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lm

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 03:00:59 AM »
A medium sized egg contains only 6 grams of protein and 4 grams of fat and manages to produce a chicken from nothing. It's the 185mg of cholesterol, the master hormone, and the DNA instructions that do the work.

Think about it... 6 grams for a whole chick.

epic_alien

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 03:24:59 AM »
you are absolutely right about protein. i have gone months eating low protein. less than 100 grams per day, and also low calories, and didnt lose much muscle at all. but the calories i did eat were all carbs, like soda, candy, sugary cereals with milk,. my conditioning sucked, but i was not lacking muscle. and no i dont just make up for it with extra hormones.

i always wondered how i got away with this, but i guess its just normal, and i had it in my head that hundreds of grams of proteins were what you needed to be big and muscular, (220lbs or more)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 03:36:06 AM »
Copy and Paste...

600 calories in a muscle somewhere between the size of a pec and a delt. 365 days in a year.

you wanna build 10 lbs. of muscle in 365 days, how many calories will it take above and beyond the build of a man at 5'6" @ 8% bodyfat?

Basic Metabolic Rate for this man:

Activity Rate for this man:

half way in between rate of activity:

Let's see the closest answer all-knowing one. And tell me, do macro-nutrients make a difference when it all comes down?

My bet is around 16 calories, the equivalent to the bite of an apple (above and beyond maintenance level intakes)

I don't give a shit if its fat, carbs or protein. They are extra calories.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 03:51:42 AM »
 Enough protein to maintain nitrogen balance plus the little bit you need to build new muscle each day. How much that is easy to calculate. You take into consideration your amount of lean muscle mass you have, the replenishing amount of protein each pound of lean muscle mass requires a day, then you multiply by the total number of pounds of lean muscle mass you have. Then you will add to that the amount you need to provide for growth each day. To calculate that, you take into consideration that Human muscles are 22% protein and then you calculate the total amount of muscle you will be gaining a month. So if you're gaining 2 lbs of lean muscle a month - 24 lbs a year, which is a lot -, then we calculate the total amount of protein you need if you weight 200 lbs at 10% bodyfat as follows: you have 180 lbs of lean body mass, of which 40% is muscle tissue - the rest are bones, internal organs and skin. So you have 72 lbs of lean muscle tissue. Each pound of muscle mass requires roughly 1 gram of protein to maintain a positive nitrogen balance. So 22 divided  by 1, roughly the replenishing rate of muscle protein is 3%. Gaining 2 lbs a month means 0.09 lbs of muscle a day. Since each pound of muscle has 22 grams of protein, you need  44 grams a month or slightly more than 1 gram total a day to build the extra muscle. So a 200 lbs bodybuilder at 10% bodyfat needs slightly more than 73 grams of protein a day to maintain his muscle mass and gain 2 lbs of extra lean muscle mass a month. Believe it nor not, this is all that is required. Protein is not used as fuel but simply to maintain a positive nitrogen balance...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Interesting stuff. What do you look like? With theories like this you must have quite a good physique if you practice what you preach.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 04:39:24 AM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE
SP

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 06:13:43 AM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE
Mike Mentzer Revisited....

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 07:03:58 AM »
Whew!!!!,Thank God for this important info...

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 07:51:26 AM »
I agree with the protein part. Calories are needed more than anything else to build muscle.

I never understood the 180 lbs guys eating 300 grams of protein a day.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 09:25:13 AM »

Soy Is Estrogenic:

SUCKMYMUSCLE

QFT

Good post man. I get tired of arguing with people about this stuff.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »
I agree with the protein part. Calories are needed more than anything else to build muscle.

I never understood the 180 lbs guys eating 300 grams of protein a day.
I agree for the most part but 200 10% (which is a pretty good level depending on height) eating 73 grams of protein? thats silly. Maybe 150 minimum.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 10:28:40 AM »
at least 74. (at least that is)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 10:37:21 AM »
there really are people who believe that soy will grow boobies on you?

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 10:58:11 AM »
I agree for the most part but 200 10% (which is a pretty good level depending on height) eating 73 grams of protein? thats silly. Maybe 150 minimum.

Theory is nice, but practice is a diff. thing. 73grams of protein is basically what I consume by eating a certain "whey cheese" I like. Now if I'd divide it to like.. 6 doses - lol.. I doubt that would translate in not loosing lean muscle mass. 200g of a chicken breast has roughly about 46g protein. Now try to keep these 200lb on one chicken breast a day. You're doing it wrong sir (OP). Ridiculous amounts of carbs should be consumed additionally, that would make most fat, and even then I doubt very much muscle would stay in "place".

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 11:11:42 AM »

I agree that less than 100 is too little, I was just agreeing with his idea that consuming a lot of protein is not conducive for muscle growth, which is what the majority of guys do out there and what the 'industry' recommends.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 11:16:21 AM »
Adonis Principles revisited.

Team Diver

• Getbig IV
  • Squeeeeze!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 11:19:33 AM »
A medium sized egg contains only 6 grams of protein and 4 grams of fat and manages to produce a chicken from nothing. It's the 185mg of cholesterol, the master hormone, and the DNA instructions that do the work.

Think about it... 6 grams for a whole chick.

oh brother... worst example against eating lots of protein ever...