Author Topic: Any Met fans  (Read 2237 times)

nunzi

• Getbig II
Any Met fans
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »
Any Met fans here.  Seeing what peoples thoughts are on the upcoming season.   

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: Any Met fans
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »
Its not going to be good again.....METS need new ownership...they are too pre-occupied with the Bernie Madoff thing to run the team properly....

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 01:03:01 PM »
Not a met fan, but when shtf for them last summer, during that west coast trip, it made for good entertainment. Man they were BAD.

I expect more of the same this season  :D

nunzi

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 07:23:11 AM »
Yeah i totally agree with the ownership needing to be changed.  Im just very happy they cut Ollie and Castillo.  Paying 18 mil for two players to go on vacation has been the greatest move the have made in a long time. lol   They need to get the chemistry right in order to compete.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
So they finally cut ollie? Its a step in the right direction.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
So they finally cut ollie? Its a step in the right direction.

I don't know what happened to Ollie./..he was such a good pitcher..I guess that big contract he signed made him lazy...The Mets are a big market team that acts like a small market team

nunzi

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 05:15:26 PM »
I don't know what happened to Ollie./..he was such a good pitcher..I guess that big contract he signed made him lazy...The Mets are a big market team that acts like a small market team

you couldnt of said it any better.  they act like the Athletics.  irritates me bc a town over the yankees are always spending,  sometimes on the ridiculous end but at least they show their faNS THEY WANNA WIN

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 05:18:49 PM »
you couldnt of said it any better.  they act like the Athletics.  irritates me bc a town over the yankees are always spending,  sometimes on the ridiculous end but at least they show their faNS THEY WANNA WIN

agreed...I don't want the Mets to go crazy and spend tons of dough like the Yankees..I'm kinda old school..I kinda consider it cheating when you try to buy the pennant by overwhelming your opponents with massive spending.....but the Mets should have never given all that money to Jason Bey..I knew that was a mistake..he's really just an average player

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 05:54:21 AM »
Mets cant do crap till they no whats up with the Madoff lawsuit.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 08:10:23 AM »
agreed...I don't want the Mets to go crazy and spend tons of dough like the Yankees..I'm kinda old school..I kinda consider it cheating when you try to buy the pennant by overwhelming your opponents with massive spending.....but the Mets should have never given all that money to Jason Bey..I knew that was a mistake..he's really just an average player

You consider it cheating?   What's your subjective cutoff for salary, and what level makes it not cheating?

How much did the Mets spend on Santana?  They destroyed the market for elite starters with that contract, which is why his AAV was used as the basis for Sabathia's. 

You might have a point if you were a KC or Pittsburgh fan, but a Mets fan?  Please.

Y

Dr Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 03:59:00 AM »
Mets will score runs. If Santana was healthy they could make a run, but pitching will be too thin this year.

nunzi

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 06:55:14 AM »
they still have a chance for the wild card... gonna be impossible to go up against the philly rotation.  look at the 2000 mets.  they werent the greatest team on paper.  has alot to do with chemistry.  and i think by cutting castillo and perez helps the chemistry of the team.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 07:23:26 AM »
Chemistry means absolutely nothing in terms having a successful baseball team.

I know it's probably more enjoyable to play with people you like, but all that off field stuff really doesn't translate to on field performance.  It's just stuff that fans and the media like to believe in.
Y

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »
what I meant by my last post is that it takes all the fun out of the game when a team, usually the Yankees, overwhelm everyone in their league with buying all the best players..why bother with the regular season then?..buying a whole bunch of players doesn't make the game any more competitive ...I and many others are turned off by baseball..I watched only one game in its entirety all last season....a lot of people I know and meet don't even watch baseball period..I think the buying of players contributed to this

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 08:18:51 AM »
what I meant by my last post is that it takes all the fun out of the game when a team, usually the Yankees, overwhelm everyone in their league with buying all the best players..why bother with the regular season then?..buying a whole bunch of players doesn't make the game any more competitive ...I and many others are turned off by baseball..I watched only one game in its entirety all last season....a lot of people I know and meet don't even watch baseball period..I think the buying of players contributed to this

All teams are comprised of free agents, players acquired via trade, and their farm system. The Yankees have also had about 40% of their 25 man roster be players that are developed in their farm system.

Plus they don't buy all the best players as you say - you can even look at this year's main players players to prove it.

1b - Free agent
2b - Farm
SS - Farm
3B - Trade
C  - Free Agent
LF - Farm
CF - Trade
RF - Trade

Bullpen- Robertson/Joba/Rivera - FARM.  Soriano, Colon - Free agent.

SP - CC, Burnett, Garcia - FA,   Hughes/Nova - FARM

So seven free agents in all, two of them elite, two of them garbage fill ins.  That's hardly buying up all the best players like you stated.  That type of commentary is just lazy and uniformed, and just perpetuates the myths.

And, outside of Giambi,  the Yankees generally don't set the market for free agents.  Sabathia was generated from Santana, and Teixeira market was set by the Red Sox.  There's many more examples.

Do the Yankees have a financial advantage over other teams?  Of course, and they'd be stupid not to use it.  Until the rules change, the Yankees can't be blamed.  Plus they practically subsidize the entire league.  MLB owners love the Yankees.
Y

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 07:32:55 PM »
All teams are comprised of free agents, players acquired via trade, and their farm system. The Yankees have also had about 40% of their 25 man roster be players that are developed in their farm system.

Plus they don't buy all the best players as you say - you can even look at this year's main players players to prove it.

1b - Free agent
2b - Farm
SS - Farm
3B - Trade
C  - Free Agent
LF - Farm
CF - Trade
RF - Trade

Bullpen- Robertson/Joba/Rivera - FARM.  Soriano, Colon - Free agent.

SP - CC, Burnett, Garcia - FA,   Hughes/Nova - FARM

So seven free agents in all, two of them elite, two of them garbage fill ins.  That's hardly buying up all the best players like you stated.  That type of commentary is just lazy and uniformed, and just perpetuates the myths.

And, outside of Giambi,  the Yankees generally don't set the market for free agents.  Sabathia was generated from Santana, and Teixeira market was set by the Red Sox.  There's many more examples.

Do the Yankees have a financial advantage over other teams?  Of course, and they'd be stupid not to use it.  Until the rules change, the Yankees can't be blamed.  Plus they practically subsidize the entire league.  MLB owners love the Yankees.

just TWO huh?....most teams cannot afford to sign even one elite guy but the Yankees can afford TWO..good for them.....and usually it TWO per year that they sign.....They have an unfair advantage...although they have a great organization as well so I have to give them their props...the mets organization is terrible

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 08:53:34 PM »

just TWO huh?....most teams cannot afford to sign even one elite guy but the Yankees can afford TWO..good for them.....and usually it TWO per year that they sign.....They have an unfair advantage...although they have a great organization as well so I have to give them their props...the mets organization is terrible

The do not sign TWO elite free agents every year.  Elite FA require long term deals, and even they would be able to afford it in the long run, or, if they did, they'd be saddled with horrid contracts at the end of them (which they might be with ARod).

The Yankees absolutely have and advantage, but I don't know the solution.  When big market teams are good, MLB makes more money, and they all win.  A dynasty of the Royals and teams like the sox and Yankees being bad would not help MLB.

But yes, the Yankees are well run.  Some of really good stuff they do gets overshadowed by the payroll.   Swisher for Wilson Bettimit type stuff.
Y

nunzi

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 08:13:06 AM »
Chemistry means absolutely nothing in terms having a successful baseball team.

I know it's probably more enjoyable to play with people you like, but all that off field stuff really doesn't translate to on field performance.  It's just stuff that fans and the media like to believe in.

You dont watch much baseball if you dont think chemistry has something to do with winning.  Im not referring to chemistry as in going bowling or going out to diner together.  Im talking about on the field chemistry mostly.  Since were talking about the yankess no,  lokk at the yankess throughout the 2000's.  no chemistry.  they had all stars at every position.  they did not play well together.  as recent teams like the phillies (who i hate) 2000 mets.  tamba bay rays last few years.  a team doesnt need 25 all stars to win.. unlike the yankees who have 20 allstars on the roster

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
agreed...nice one :)

nunzi

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 08:15:26 AM »
The do not sign TWO elite free agents every year.  Elite FA require long term deals, and even they would be able to afford it in the long run, or, if they did, they'd be saddled with horrid contracts at the end of them (which they might be with ARod).

The Yankees absolutely have and advantage, but I don't know the solution.  When big market teams are good, MLB makes more money, and they all win.  A dynasty of the Royals and teams like the sox and Yankees being bad would not help MLB.

But yes, the Yankees are well run.  Some of really good stuff they do gets overshadowed by the payroll.   Swisher for Wilson Bettimit type stuff.

yankees have had horrible contracts in recent years.  the reason why its not as big of a deal is bc they have such a monster payroll, they can absorb it,  Pavano, Igawa, giambi, clemens, brown, A-rod in few years.  Jeters new contract.  just some examples

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 08:37:40 AM »
You dont watch much baseball if you dont think chemistry has something to do with winning.  Im not referring to chemistry as in going bowling or going out to diner together.  Im talking about on the field chemistry mostly.  Since were talking about the yankess no,  lokk at the yankess throughout the 2000's.  no chemistry.  they had all stars at every position.  they did not play well together.  as recent teams like the phillies (who i hate) 2000 mets.  tamba bay rays last few years.  a team doesnt need 25 all stars to win.. unlike the yankees who have 20 allstars on the roster

Please.  On the field chemistry is basically talent.

As for the other stuff, it just ludicrous.  The Yankees didn't play well together because they had too many stars on the field?  What does that even mean?  Did they not throw the ball as accurately to each other?  Did they not field as well?  Please explain this with something tangible other than a cliche.  You imply that the Yankees played poorly because they had too many good players.

And, despite all this, the Yankee won more games, division titles, and had more playoff appearances than any other team in baseball.  They won 2 WS and went to a third.  They dominated the 2000s.

But anyway, the other teams you mention had tons of talent on them, and great pitching.  Those teams win.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 08:39:13 AM »
yankees have had horrible contracts in recent years.  the reason why its not as big of a deal is bc they have such a monster payroll, they can absorb it,  Pavano, Igawa, giambi, clemens, brown, A-rod in few years.  Jeters new contract.  just some examples

Yeah, but that wasn't the point.  The point was that they don't sign elite level Teixeira types every few years, the ones that require LTDs to sign.
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »
  as recent teams like the phillies (who i hate) 2000 mets.  tamba bay rays last few years.  a team doesnt need 25 all stars to win.. unlike the yankees who have 20 allstars on the roster

Yeah, because those teams were a bunch of rag tag nobody's.  ::)