Author Topic: Lol the weight classes system in MMA is a FRAUD  (Read 11611 times)

suckmymuscle

Re: Lol the weight classes system in MMA is a FRAUD
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 03:19:24 PM »
What he "walks around at" is irrelevant...the only thing that matters is the weight when he steps on the scales the day before the fight.

He could take a cab to Coney Island and bury Joey Chestnut and Kobashi in a hot dog eating contest directly after; come in the next day at 245 and EVEN then it would be irrelevant, legally sanctioned, and totally above the table.

And what about Antonio Silva cutting 30lbs to fight Fedor? He MADE the weight the day before the fight, that is all that matters.

Now if you are talking about creating a Cruiserweight division for the lighter current heavys or a Superheavyweight division for the bigger fellas then that is a whole other discussion in itself.

Outstanding post. This is how I feel exactly. Antonio Silva was a ririculous 57 lbs heavier than Fedor when they entered the cage, and had a 5" reach advantage. Not to mention that he's 5 years younger. 57 lbs is almost the weight difference between a lightweight and a light-heavyweight!!!!!!!!!!!So Fedor holds his own against this 285 lbs monster at a bodyweight of 228 lbs and even wins the first round, and then loses due to a doctor stoppage and he is "exposed". Can't you guys see how absurd it is for a man who is 6'4 and weights 285 lbs to beat on a little 6' fighter who weights 228 lbs? Go ask GSP if we would like to fight heavyweights. The difference in weight between Fedor and Silva is like the difference in weight between GSP and Mir. It is ridiculous! And Fedor is so great that he holds his own and wins the first round according to all the judges, and yet you guys won't give the little bastard credit. The same for Jones vs Shogun. Jones was clearly around 230 lbs for this fight whilst Shogun was around 200 lbs. Not as huge a difference between Silv and Fedor, but still big.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 02:09:54 PM »
 Outstanding post. This is how I feel exactly. Antonio Silva was a ririculous 57 lbs heavier than Fedor when they entered the cage, and had a 5" reach advantage. Not to mention that he's 5 years younger. 57 lbs is almost the weight difference between a lightweight and a light-heavyweight!!!!!!!!!!!So Fedor holds his own against this 285 lbs monster at a bodyweight of 228 lbs and even wins the first round, and then loses due to a doctor stoppage and he is "exposed". Can't you guys see how absurd it is for a man who is 6'4 and weights 285 lbs to beat on a little 6' fighter who weights 228 lbs? Go ask GSP if we would like to fight heavyweights. The difference in weight between Fedor and Silva is like the difference in weight between GSP and Mir. It is ridiculous! And Fedor is so great that he holds his own and wins the first round according to all the judges, and yet you guys won't give the little bastard credit. The same for Jones vs Shogun. Jones was clearly around 230 lbs for this fight whilst Shogun was around 200 lbs. Not as huge a difference between Silv and Fedor, but still big.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

I would love to see GSP fight Shogun or Rampage, good fighters 40-50lbs heavier. See how long he lasts lol. Thats what Fedor has  always done. As we saw Shogun got eaten alive by a bigger skilled fighter..

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 02:12:33 PM »
I would love to see GSP fight Shogun or Rampage, good fighters 40-50lbs heavier. See how long he lasts lol. Thats what Fedor has  always done. As we saw Shogun got eaten alive by a bigger skilled fighter..

It won't last long, smaller guys generally don't have the mass/bodyweight to knock out heavyweight's or bigger guys in general.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »

Shogun and Rampage could cut to 185, but they don't want the risks of the cut. ALL fighters know what they are against when they decide their weight classes....part of the game. Been that way since the beginning of combat sports. Get over it.

Fedor obviously doesn't watch what he eats and has never been concerned with his weight....it ended up catching up to him with the new breed of HW's.

Cain and JDS are taking these risks as well.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:37 PM »
Shogun and Rampage could cut to 185, but they don't want the risks of the cut. ALL fighters know what they are against when they decide their weight classes....part of the game. Been that way since the beginning of combat sports. Get over it.

Fedor obviously doesn't watch what he eats and has never been concerned with his weight....it ended up catching up to him with the new breed of HW's.

It's crazy how much thinking these guys put into this weightclass shit, they balance factors like how much they would have to cut/bulk up (almost nobody bulks up, except maybe Couture) what their reach is compared to other guys in that division (works out better when you have a few inch reach advantage)
what their height is in comparison to other guys in said division, how lanky they are vs other fighters, etc.

Personally I hate when fighters go up and down 30 lbs. I think it's ridiculous, they should walk around max 10-15lbs. more then their weigh in weight, anything more and they should just be in a different weight class.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 03:21:29 PM »

People kept calling Todd Duffee the "new bread" and look what happened to him.. And didn't Dana White come up with that stupid term?
Fighters have been evolving since 1993, you act as if they just started getting better now or something... ???

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 05:12:39 PM »
People kept calling Todd Duffee the "new bread" and look what happened to him.. And didn't Dana White come up with that stupid term?
Fighters have been evolving since 1993, you act as if they just started getting better now or something... ???

Duffee NEVER had the hype or success Jones has had.  Jones has demolished every opponent with a style that we have never seen before. He's a champ at 23 and just demolished one of the best LHW's in the world.

Duffee never had anything near this success or skill.

Jones has a unique style...he almost views fighting from a different perspective than most.  Jones may or not be a "new breed" but he's young, unique and excititng to watch.

Somebody will develop a way to beat him eventually, but that's the nature of the sport.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 06:08:08 PM »
Duffee NEVER had the hype or success Jones has had.  Jones has demolished every opponent with a style that we have never seen before. He's a champ at 23 and just demolished one of the best LHW's in the world.

Jones has a unique style...he almost views fighting from a different perspective than most.  Jones may or not be a "new breed" but he's young, unique and excititng to watch.

Somebody will develop a way to beat him eventually, but that's the nature of the sport.

I just hope he's not a passing trend like Belfort was.. when you get things too early ,they tend not to last.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 03:56:27 AM »

Nobody will suddenly develop an 84" reach and grow to 6'5" to beat him. There are NO challenges for him at 205, none whatsoever. I will enjoy watching all of his future freak show beat downs though lol.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 04:09:04 AM »
Nobody will suddenly develop an 84" reach and grow to 6'5" to beat him. There are NO challenges for him at 205, none whatsoever. I will enjoy watching all of his future freak show beat downs though lol.

Forget iit, dude: ShitPusher is the greatest moron to ever post in this board. He will say anything to defend the UFC and anything that it does no matter what. He is the ultiimate Zuffa Zombie.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 04:27:18 AM »
  Forget iit, dude: ShitPusher is the greatest moron to ever post in this board. He will say anything to defend the UFC and anything that it does no matter what. He is the ultiimate Zuffa Zombie.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

I've really never seen anything like it. And i've talked to quite a few Zuffa zombies on Sherdog, but none of them compare to this. Unbelievable. Its almost as if he's trying to get us to actually change our opinions on what skilled fighting is and means. Is he trying to change our opinions or something? He only posts on here because this is the only place he can get away with it. Wouldn't last 2 seconds on the MMA Linker Forums, where there is just too much knowledge and common sense for him.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 07:36:12 AM »

Are you telling us that nobody will ever beat Jones?

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 07:39:45 AM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Still watching MMA? Didn't you say you were no longer going to follow the sport?

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 02:39:11 PM »

Are you telling us that nobody will ever beat Jones?

Let me ask you something.If JJ goes on a 10 year win streak then starts losing once he hits mid 30s are you going to say hes over rated?Or that he fought cans all his career? Seems most people like to run their mouth about Fedor, when really who has Jones fought thats really great fighters so far? Rua? it could be argued hes past his best, Bader is hopelessTheyre the last 2.....

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011, 08:28:40 PM »
Let me ask you something.If JJ goes on a 10 year win streak then starts losing once he hits mid 30s are you going to say hes over rated?Or that he fought cans all his career? Seems most people like to run their mouth about Fedor, when really who has Jones fought thats really great fighters so far? Rua? it could be argued hes past his best, Bader is hopelessTheyre the last 2.....

I can't predict the future...but Hamil, Bonnar, Bader, and Rua isn't a shabby list of victories thus far in his career.

But one thing that makes him far superior to Fedor is that he has proven that he will not dodge fights/opponents people want to see.

He didn't want to fight Rashad, but he stepped up and took the fight.

Fedor was known to decline fights.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 05:02:20 AM »
I can't predict the future...but Hamil, Bonnar, Bader, and Rua isn't a shabby list of victories thus far in his career.

But one thing that makes him far superior to Fedor is that he has proven that he will not dodge fights/opponents people want to see.

He didn't want to fight Rashad, but he stepped up and took the fight.

Fedor was known to decline fights.

Matt who? Stephan who? Despite what Zuffa tells you, those 2 names won't go down on the whos who list of mma fighter past or present. Fedor isn't scared of anyone obviously, but his management sure as hell is. Why? Because their livelihood depends on him. Fedor was just too naive to see what was happening. I shouldn't even have to tell you this its well known within the mma world. Don't know where you get your info from... ???

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 06:43:58 AM »
Matt who? Stephan who? Despite what Zuffa tells you, those 2 names won't go down on the whos who list of mma fighter past or present. Fedor isn't scared of anyone obviously, but his management sure as hell is. Why? Because their livelihood depends on him. Fedor was just too naive to see what was happening. I shouldn't even have to tell you this its well known within the mma world. Don't know where you get your info from... ???

I'll be the first on to tell you that Fedor's management tarnished and disgraced his career, but ultimately, it's Fedor's name in the history books.
He chose his management, therefore it's his fault. Simple really.

Now, I'm not saying that Jon Jones is at legendary status by any means, but we CERTAINLY know that Jones will never duck the fights fans want to see.  He's fighting a friend and teammate next.  Jones in no way has been protected by fighting cans and freak show fights like Fedor has been doing recently.

Jones recently accepted a title shot on short notice, and demolished a legend and top-ranked guy.

What more do you want from the guy?

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2011, 11:28:36 AM »
I'll be the first on to tell you that Fedor's management tarnished and disgraced his career, but ultimately, it's Fedor's name in the history books.
He chose his management, therefore it's his fault. Simple really.

Now, I'm not saying that Jon Jones is at legendary status by any means, but we CERTAINLY know that Jones will never duck the fights fans want to see.  He's fighting a friend and teammate next.  Jones in no way has been protected by fighting cans and freak show fights like Fedor has been doing recently.

Jones recently accepted a title shot on short notice, and demolished a legend and top-ranked guy.

What more do you want from the guy?

It's not exactly that simple. In Russia you don't get to make a lot of personal decisions yourself like you get to do here in the US. Especially when you are an athlete at the level of Fedor where what you do is considered representative of your mother country.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2011, 11:39:27 AM »
It's not exactly that simple. In Russia you don't get to make a lot of personal decisions yourself like you get to do here in the US. Especially when you are an athlete at the level of Fedor where what you do is considered representative of your mother country.

Are you saying that Fedor needs a disclaimer by his name in the history books?

This is MMA, and in regards to his record, it is what it is. He dodged fights people wanted to see. People will remember that.

Many top fighters have said this...it's common knowledge that he's turned down fights with Overeem on multiple occasions as well as Crocop to name a few. They were even in the same org at the time as well.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2011, 12:02:52 PM »
Are you saying that Fedor needs a disclaimer by his name in the history books?

This is MMA, and in regards to his record, it is what it is. He dodged fights people wanted to see. People will remember that.

Many top fighters have said this...it's common knowledge that he's turned down fights with Overeem on multiple occasions as well as Crocop to name a few. They were even in the same org at the time as well.

No. Why would you say that? But things work very differently in Russia. Fedor didn't turn down or accept anything. Remember when they started their own organization where Putin would be in the audience? I forget already what it was called. Hell, you could practically see brown envelopes exchanging hands after each bout. 

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 12:27:05 PM »
No. Why would you say that? But things work very differently in Russia. Fedor didn't turn down or accept anything. Remember when they started their own organization where Putin would be in the audience? I forget already what it was called. Hell, you could practically see brown envelopes exchanging hands after each bout. 

I'm in total agreement with you on the way things are in Russia. Whatever the reason, Fedor dodged fights. If it was him personally or his management doesn't really matter.

This takes nothing away from Fedor's respectable and humble demeanor.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »
The repetitiveness of your "arguments" sour this board. You have nothing positive to contribute at all, you seem to have bought into Zuffa's propaganda that if its not UFC then its meaningless - look outside the box and you will open yourself up to a whole new world of talent and appreciation. The realisation that the UFC doesnt / hasnt always had the best fighters is right there for you, you just need to accept it.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2011, 02:00:55 PM »
The repetitiveness of your "arguments" sour this board. You have nothing positive to contribute at all, you seem to have bought into Zuffa's propaganda that if its not UFC then its meaningless - look outside the box and you will open yourself up to a whole new world of talent and appreciation. The realisation that the UFC doesnt / hasnt always had the best fighters is right there for you, you just need to accept it.

I got a better idea...why don't you just ignore my posts.

Tell me what current MMA there is to 'appreciate' besides Bellator that is not Zuffa/UFC owned.

I do watch most MMA and quite honestly, all it does it make me appreciate the talent/professionalism/production of UFC/ZUffa owned events.

Now fuck off and quit reading my posts. Your life will thank you for it.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2011, 02:17:53 PM »
Whilst i appreciate your point of view, heres an idea for you to dwell on: get off the board altogether. Amongst many things you lack the basic knowledge required to post here, you most likely Google everything prior to making a "Fedor is over rated" comment just so that you attempt to understand what is being discussed by the grown ups.

Zuffa is far and away the market leader for MMA at present but when have they ever put a show on for more than 20,000 people? They could easily do it, Pride did it all the time. Yes Pride is dead and buried, absorbed by the company but there are so many things outside of the UFC you ignore that show you for what you really are: a reality TV fan with no MMA knowledge prior to that clash of the "immortals" - Griffin V Bonnar.

And why does it always have to be current when we speak here about historical facts? If i want to discuss current issues then i would also back you when you say Fedor is a long way down the pecking order and unable to compete at the elite level however if you want to ask who the greatest fighter of all time is, then it IS Fedor. If you want to look at Crocop & Nog in the current environment then i will also agree wholeheartedly that they are further off the pace than Fedor, however if you want to discuss top 10 fighters of all time then they are strong considerations. People wake up one day and are just no the same person, now for all of his remarkable power do you think Melvin Manhoef would have knocked out the 2004 version of Mark Hunt? I think not.

I suppose however that ignorance is bliss so i guess the best thing to do is simply skip past anything you write, its nothing more than a 3 year old spitting the dummy because mummy bought the wrong sweetie.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 02:33:30 PM »
Whilst i appreciate your point of view, heres an idea for you to dwell on: get off the board altogether. Amongst many things you lack the basic knowledge required to post here, you most likely Google everything prior to making a "Fedor is over rated" comment just so that you attempt to understand what is being discussed by the grown ups.

Zuffa is far and away the market leader for MMA at present but when have they ever put a show on for more than 20,000 people? They could easily do it, Pride did it all the time. Yes Pride is dead and buried, absorbed by the company but there are so many things outside of the UFC you ignore that show you for what you really are: a reality TV fan with no MMA knowledge prior to that clash of the "immortals" - Griffin V Bonnar.

And why does it always have to be current when we speak here about historical facts? If i want to discuss current issues then i would also back you when you say Fedor is a long way down the pecking order and unable to compete at the elite level however if you want to ask who the greatest fighter of all time is, then it IS Fedor. If you want to look at Crocop & Nog in the current environment then i will also agree wholeheartedly that they are further off the pace than Fedor, however if you want to discuss top 10 fighters of all time then they are strong considerations. People wake up one day and are just no the same person, now for all of his remarkable power do you think Melvin Manhoef would have knocked out the 2004 version of Mark Hunt? I think not.

I suppose however that ignorance is bliss so i guess the best thing to do is simply skip past anything you write, its nothing more than a 3 year old spitting the dummy because mummy bought the wrong sweetie.

Here you go spewing PRIDE bullshit and comparing it to the UFC, but it's not OK for me to defend the UFC? Hmmmm that seems hypocritical.

To compare PRIDE events to UFC events is pointless. Besides, if PRIDE was considered to be sooo great, why did it get shit-canned?

And one last thing, the UFC for once has a venue that will support a HUGE crowd of over 20,000 people (55,000 to be exact) and guess what, it sold out in minutes!!

Bwahahhahahahaha nice try, fool.  If you really did follow MMA closely you would know that Dana has said that he has always been afraid to do stadium/coliseums until this event.

http://www.lowkick.com/UFC/Ticket-sales-for-UFC-129-generate-record-breaking-Numbers-11841
The UFC announced today that tickets for their  April 30th event, UFC 129: St. Pierre vs Shields, sold out just minutes after they were made available.  Due to the high demand, the Rogers Centre, which was originally configured for a 42,000 capacity crowd, was reformatted to allow an additional 13,000 seats, bringing the total number sold to 55,000.