Author Topic: Lol the weight classes system in MMA is a FRAUD  (Read 11612 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: Lol the weight classes system in MMA is a FRAUD
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2011, 02:50:12 PM »
I'm in total agreement with you on the way things are in Russia. Whatever the reason, Fedor dodged fights. If it was him personally or his management doesn't really matter.

This takes nothing away from Fedor's respectable and humble demeanor.

I think it does matter if Fedor, himself, refuses a match, or if his handlers do so. It does not matter in respect to his fighting record and the credibility it gives him. But it does matter when judging his character. Fedor strikes me as a genuinely religious person and that he believes that though he may do everything possible within his power and ability to steer the odds in his favor his ultimate fate is determined by God. Many will say this but when you see how he accepted his defeats and the possibility of his career coming to an end it shows his genuineness. So for him whether in victory or defeat he is simply following the path set for him by God. From that perspective, whom he fights is almost irrelevant.

Look at his demeanor before all of his fights. Look at his face when he squares off in front of his opponent as the rules are recited. No mean mugging. No posturing. No psyching out games. Just a man at peace stepping up to accept his fate with honor and courage as has been ordain for him by God.

That being said, I believe that if Fedor had fought Big Foot in the Pride of old the fight would not have been stopped and Fedor would have gone on with the almost stoic resignation that he so often displays, oblivious to any pain or injuries he may be suffering.
The out come may have been different as Big Foot was getting noticeable winded and as many here know, no matter how big and strong you are once you lose your wind you're done.

This is not to take anything away from Big Foot. He absolutely man handled Fedor. But Fedor has been man handled before and have come back.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2011, 08:29:34 PM »
Tell me with a straight face how can this afrcian american fella, who is just plain towering over Andrei Arlovski in this pic, fight at LHW??? Its is simply unfair to say the last, the brother should just man up and fight the dogs of his size at the heavies...

same thing as boxing.  Fighters walk around at one weight and make cuts. 

suckmymuscle

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
  Here is the thing: if you are a light-heavyweight, you should weight 205 lbs when you enter the cage and not the day before in the weight-in. After all, you are fighting when you enter the cage and not when you are being weighted in the weight in. It is absurdly pointless this system where your weight matters not when you are going to fight but some days before that.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2011, 04:02:20 AM »
I think it does matter if Fedor, himself, refuses a match, or if his handlers do so. It does not matter in respect to his fighting record and the credibility it gives him. But it does matter when judging his character. Fedor strikes me as a genuinely religious person and that he believes that though he may do everything possible within his power and ability to steer the odds in his favor his ultimate fate is determined by God. Many will say this but when you see how he accepted his defeats and the possibility of his career coming to an end it shows his genuineness. So for him whether in victory or defeat he is simply following the path set for him by God. From that perspective, whom he fights is almost irrelevant.

Look at his demeanor before all of his fights. Look at his face when he squares off in front of his opponent as the rules are recited. No mean mugging. No posturing. No psyching out games. Just a man at peace stepping up to accept his fate with honor and courage as has been ordain for him by God.

That being said, I believe that if Fedor had fought Big Foot in the Pride of old the fight would not have been stopped and Fedor would have gone on with the almost stoic resignation that he so often displays, oblivious to any pain or injuries he may be suffering.
The out come may have been different as Big Foot was getting noticeable winded and as many here know, no matter how big and strong you are once you lose your wind you're done.

This is not to take anything away from Big Foot. He absolutely man handled Fedor. But Fedor has been man handled before and have come back.

You are correct. Fedor is a unique character, and IMO the toughest man in MMA history.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2011, 09:02:48 AM »
  Here is the thing: if you are a light-heavyweight, you should weight 205 lbs when you enter the cage and not the day before in the weight-in. After all, you are fighting when you enter the cage and not when you are being weighted in the weight in. It is absurdly pointless this system where your weight matters not when you are going to fight but some days before that.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Although you have a great point and many of us agree that this seems most fair, the method of weighing in 24-hrs, not days, before a fight is the way all combat sports work as well as all levels of wrestling.

The advantage or disadvantage of cutting weight is a choice everyone has.  You act like cutting weight is easy and without side-effects.

phatj

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »
Obviously you are unfamiliar with MMA.  Original MMA had no weight classes.  The guys who cut weight in exess of 15lbs suffer in the cage over the ones who don't.  Its just a matter of stamina vs weight.

Muffintop rules!

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2011, 09:30:21 PM »
Obviously you are unfamiliar with MMA.  Original MMA had no weight classes.  The guys who cut weight in exess of 15lbs suffer in the cage over the ones who don't.  Its just a matter of stamina vs weight.

Well said, and the truth at that.