Author Topic: Larry Zbyszko responds to comments in Chris Jericho's book:  (Read 3634 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Larry Zbyszko responds to comments in Chris Jericho's book:
« on: March 24, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »
I thought that maybe cheftim would like this:

Montague

• Getbig V
Re: Larry Zbyszko responds to comments in Chris Jericho's book:
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 04:26:27 AM »
To each their own. But I'm with the Living Legend on this one. Jericho is a twerp. Thanks for the vid.

LOL!!
I thought you'd like that.

I believe Larry tried suing Jericho and/or WWE over use of the "living legend" moniker, which I always thought was a tad ironic since that nickname originally belonged to someone else.
I'm unsure what kind of relationship the two men had in WCW, but apparently Larry's later actions gave Y2J a red ass.
I don't know if Zbyszko had the name trademarked or anything, but...

A similar thing happened to Mark Madden and WCW when Madden referred to Scott Steiner as a "human suplex machine" during a broadcast, and ECW took legal action since Taz was known by that name.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:58:21 AM »
With that hot chick in the background, I couldn't concentrate on what Zbyszko was saying.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:30:02 AM »
lol

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »
Mont, i have a question for you if thats Ok? I was reading on another forum some time back that Larry will most likely be remembered for 2 things: hitting Bruno with a chair and turning on him, and stalling endlessly during his matches. I never saw the territories (too young) so i dont know exactly what his character was all about - can you enlighten me as to his "stalling" tactic and was it a big turn off for fans?

I will forever remember him as the man who managed to save Nitro even though there wasnt actually an "official" end to the match - just him choking out Bischoff whilst Bret had Hall in the SS. Looked like he could have seriously been able to handle himself in his prime however.

Many thanks.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 03:04:54 PM »
I think it was some turd with a camera trying to get a reaction out of him more than anything else.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 04:30:42 PM »
Mont, i have a question for you if thats Ok? I was reading on another forum some time back that Larry will most likely be remembered for 2 things: hitting Bruno with a chair and turning on him, and stalling endlessly during his matches. I never saw the territories (too young) so i dont know exactly what his character was all about - can you enlighten me as to his "stalling" tactic and was it a big turn off for fans?

I will forever remember him as the man who managed to save Nitro even though there wasnt actually an "official" end to the match - just him choking out Bischoff whilst Bret had Hall in the SS. Looked like he could have seriously been able to handle himself in his prime however.

Many thanks.

I don’t mind; I could talk about this stuff for hours...in fact, I DO!!
I just can’t guarantee I always have the right answers.

I grew up very near the history of the two “Living Legends.”
While I’m quite a few decades younger than both, I’ve heard some amusing stories through the grapevine, and Larry’s shoot interview from a few years back was quite insightful.

While a relative “youngster,” Larry hooked up with Bruno, convincing the latter to train him.
They lifted together, and Bruno schooled Larry in grappling pro style.
I believe that Stu Hart & Toots Mondt contributed to Bruno’s training, but Sammartino had also trained & worked out with PITT’s wrestling team, so he also had some amateur knowledge/skills, and I’m sure he passed a bit of that onto Larry as well (it would probably have damaged Bruno's ego to learn that "his student" got his ass kicked in an altercation).
Anyway, Zbyszko’s physique closely resembled Bruno’s, as did his ring-style.

I’m not exactly sure what “stalling” is referring to.
IMO, it could either mean prolonging the start of the action in a match, or the excessive use of rest holds during a match.
Either way, both tactics were commonly used when Larry was coming up.
Ring psychology was very different then, which affected the pace and story of the matches.

Both the matches AND fans then differed greatly compared with what we see today.
Guys could once generate heat simply by pulling their opponent’s hair or trunks during a 30-min match.
Now, they do 10-mins of rehearsed high-spots, many of which barely mean anything.

But, bear-hugs, chin-locks, and the like were commonly used to allow guys to catch their breaths.
I don’t think it was a turn-off for the fans because it was accepted practice then.

As for Larry handling himself, most of those guys back then were legitimately tough.
I’ve never heard of any scraps that Larry was involved in, but he threw up some impressive numbers on the bench, and I suspect he was more than capable of holding his own in a situation.
I also never heard of anyone trying it on with him.

Then again, Jericho was “stretched” in Stu’s Dungeon by the man himself.
I’m not sure who I’d pick to win a fight.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »
Well, Jericho worked in Japan and Mexico so I think he's just as much an entertainer as a wrestler. I like Larry's work, he was a "draw", not a huge one, but people paid to see him. I haven't read Jericho's second book yet, but I'll agree that Larry was an awful commentator IMO. People rag on him that his only claim to fame was his match with Bruno, but that is still a huge part of wrestling history to be a part of. I think the stalling refers to him getting out of the ring whenever a good guy was making a comeback. In some interview, he said he stalled for like 15 minutes during one match.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 07:00:06 PM »
Here is a match I found..and the dude who posted it said he cut out 3 minutes of Larry walking around

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 06:47:06 AM »
Here is a match I found..and the dude who posted it said he cut out 3 minutes of Larry walking around

Again, that would never fly today, but back then that was one way some guys got heat.

Piper admitted to making ultra-slow entrances because, at times, he was counting an estimated attendance - this was when wrestlers were paid a percentage of the gate and you could not trust many promoters to give you an honest payout.