Author Topic: Report: Emissions from Japan plant approach Chernobyl levels  (Read 469 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
 Source: USA Today

Emissions of radioactive iodine and cesium from the crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant have approached levels after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in 1986, New Scientist reports.

Austrian researchers made the calculations by using the global network of detectors designed to sniff out clandestine nuclear bomb tests.

Iodine-131 is being released at daily levels 73% of those detected after Chernobyl, while the daily amount of cesium-137 is about 60%, according to researcher from Austria's Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics.

How do researchers contrast the two accidents?

The difference between this accident and Chernobyl, they say, is that at Chernobyl a huge fire released large amounts of many radioactive materials, including fuel particles, in smoke. At Fukushima Daiichi, only the volatile elements, such as iodine and caesium, are bubbling off the damaged fuel. But these substances could nevertheless pose a significant health risk outside the plant.

The organisation set up to verify the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) has a global network of air samplers that monitor and trace the origin of around a dozen radionuclides, the radioactive elements released by atomic bomb blasts – and nuclear accidents. These measurements can be combined with wind observations to track where the radionuclides come from, and how much was released.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Report: Emissions from Japan plant approach Chernobyl levels
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »
And I think this supports my theory that the media will only run with a story for 2 weeks before they realize viewers are weary of it.  Then, they'll report on something else.

The radiation is worse than ever- situation is going from bad to worse.  but the coverage has dropped significantly.  Cause people are tired ot it.  And, 2 weeks into Libyan war coverage, we'll see the same thing happen there too!

TOKYO, March 27 (Reuters) - Japanese engineers struggled on Sunday to pump radioactive water from a crippled nuclear power station while the world's chief nuclear inspector said the country was "still far from the end of the accident".

Radiation levels in the sea off the Fukushima Daiichi plant have soared to 1,250 times normal just over two weeks after it was battered by a huge earthquake and a tsunami, but it was not considered a threat to marine life or food safety, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said.

"Ocean currents will disperse radiation particles and so it will be very diluted by the time it gets consumed by fish and seaweed," said Hidehiko Nishiyama, a senior agency official.

The crisis at the plant, 240 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo, has overshadowed a relief and recovery effort from the magnitude 9.0 quake and the huge tsunami it triggered on March 11 that left more than 27,100 people dead or missing in northeast Japan. Yukiya Amano, the director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), cautioned that Japan's nuclear emergency could go on for weeks, if not months more. "This is a very serious accident by all standards," he told the New York Times. "And it is not yet over."

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:49:24 AM »
I thought samson said everything is fine?  lol...

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:07:38 AM »
I thought samson said everything is fine?  lol...

Everyone else is a fear mongerer, except Sammy

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:11:03 AM »
Future Samson response: "The world is ending. The radiation is going to make it across the Atlantic and destroy the US! While this is happening, the UN is going to pass a resolution (started by the Bilderbergs), ceding the US to the Illuminati and reducing us to the third-world status. Don't believe me? Well then, you're an IDIOT. I'm a genius! I know EVERYTHING!!!!!!!"

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:19:18 AM »
Future Samson response: "The world is ending. The radiation is going to make it across the Atlantic and destroy the US! While this is happening, the UN is going to pass a resolution (started by the Bilderbergs), ceding the US to the Illuminati and reducing us to the third-world status. Don't believe me? Well then, you're an IDIOT. I'm a genius! I know EVERYTHING!!!!!!!"
Dont forget he will blame the jews/Illuminati/freemasons for it.