Author Topic: Isaac Newton:The Dark Heretic  (Read 3927 times)

suckmymuscle

Isaac Newton:The Dark Heretic
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:54:31 PM »
  A very interesting documentary on the great scientist and mathematician, about his struggles to reconcile scientific truth with his theism. His struggle is not unlike that of many modern scientists who try to fiit science with religion.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Isaac Newton:The Dark Heretic
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:43:24 PM »
  A very interesting documentary on the great scientist and mathematician, about his struggles to reconcile scientific truth with his theism. His struggle is not unlike that of many modern scientists who try to fiit science with religion.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Sorry. I don't have a 170 IQ like you. I can't understand this stuff.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Sorry. I don't have a 170 IQ like you. I can't understand this stuff.

Don't be so spiiteful and childish.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:23:42 AM »
Newton, Einstein and Hawkins: their combined IQ is about the same as that of the entire IFBB pro league.

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »
Newton, Einstein and Hawkins: their combined IQ is about the same as that of the entire IFBB pro league.

But u get +100 if u can speak, still alive, and can wipe ur own ass/take injections

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:30:03 AM »

In my opinion Hawking does not deserve to be considered as one of the all time greats in theoretical physics. He contributed a lot to the theory about black holes, but other than that he's a mere popularizer of science. The fact that he looks like some extraterrestrial in his wheelchair probably helped making him famous.

I can think of a couple of others that deserve more credit... like Niels Bohr, Erwin Schrödinger, James Clerk Maxwell etc...
from incomplete data

suckmymuscle

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 10:32:11 AM »
In my opinion Hawking does not deserve to be considered as one of the all time greats in theoretical physics. He contributed a lot to the theory about black holes, but other than that he's a mere popularizer of science. The fact that he looks like some extraterrestrial in his wheelchair probably helped making him famous.

I can think of a couple of others that deserve more credit... like Niels Bohr, Erwin Schrödinger, James Clerk Maxwell etc...

Newton was not merely a physicist; he was history's greatest polymath. He created integral calculus, co-created differential calculus with Leibniz, discovered the principles of light refraction, the laws of motion, the law of gravity, created his theory of light as particles that can function as waves, which is accepted to this day, etc. I don't think that there has ever been a person for whom the word "genius" applies more. Even Einstein regarded Newton as the greatest genius ever.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

monstercalves

• Getbig IV
  • Jesse James Dean Martin Lawrence Fishburne
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 10:53:26 AM »

agreed...... hawking is just famous/unusual looking and still alive......his contribution to science is nothing compared to hundreds of other great scientists

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:57:17 AM »
What's the hardest thing about eating vegetables? The Wheelchair.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:00:27 AM »
Some damn good threads here today!  I'm gunna have to be more active here.

Let's keep the hi I'm Groink the constuction worker with 18 inch arms threads to a minimal.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 05:32:37 PM »
  It is truly amazing how religious Newton was. He truly wanted for there to be a God, and he dedicated to proving His hand as the Creator of the Universe more time than he did to his mathematical and scientific pursuits. He refused to believe that it could have all have sprung from nothingness.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 05:50:27 PM »
  Newton was not merely a physicist; he was history's greatest polymath. He created integral calculus, co-created differential calculus with Leibniz, discovered the principles of light refraction, the laws of motion, the law of gravity, created his theory of light as particles that can function as waves, which is accepted to this day, etc. I don't think that there has ever been a person for whom the word "genius" applies more. Even Einstein regarded Newton as the greatest genius ever.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

When I was in school many, many years ago and a fullblown nerd, I took this test just for kicks and it was famous for being incredibly hard.

One of the questions in it was about/based on Newton's laws of motion - the 3 laws showing the relationship between distance, time, velocity and acceleration

v = u + at

s = ut + 1/2 at2 and

v2 = u2 + 2as

The question was this - a man goes out to hunt, spots a bear and takes a shot at it. He misses, but pisses off the bear who starts chasing him. The man's gun gets jammed, so he runs, with the bear chasing him. He runs up a hill, which has a vertical ledge (so it's a right angle triangle shaped hill) and he goes all the way to the edge of the cliff and ducks when the bear jumps for him.

The bear goes over the edge and falls (and dies). They give you all the variables - the dimensions of the hill (both the height and the length of the hypotenuse), the initial velocity of the bear as it goes over the edge, it's final velocity when it hits the ground and the time taken for it's fall.

Then they ask you to find the colour of the bear.

How would you solve that? I'll give you the solution after a couple of guesses if you don't get it. Bear in mind that ALL the variables in the above 3 equations are already given ;)

slaver

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 05:51:31 PM »
I enjoy polytheism

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 05:53:33 PM »
Tesla and A.V. Hill are the best scientists ever imho

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 05:57:29 PM »
What's the hardest thing about eating vegetables? The Wheelchair.

;D

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 11:52:51 PM »
When I was in school many, many years ago and a fullblown nerd, I took this test just for kicks and it was famous for being incredibly hard.

One of the questions in it was about/based on Newton's laws of motion - the 3 laws showing the relationship between distance, time, velocity and acceleration

v = u + at

s = ut + 1/2 at2 and

v2 = u2 + 2as

The question was this - a man goes out to hunt, spots a bear and takes a shot at it. He misses, but pisses off the bear who starts chasing him. The man's gun gets jammed, so he runs, with the bear chasing him. He runs up a hill, which has a vertical ledge (so it's a right angle triangle shaped hill) and he goes all the way to the edge of the cliff and ducks when the bear jumps for him.

The bear goes over the edge and falls (and dies). They give you all the variables - the dimensions of the hill (both the height and the length of the hypotenuse), the initial velocity of the bear as it goes over the edge, it's final velocity when it hits the ground and the time taken for it's fall.

How would you solve that? I'll give you the solution after a couple of guesses if you don't get it. Bear in mind that ALL the variables in the above 3 equations are already given ;)

Where's the gorilla in this story?

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 12:13:35 AM »

v = u + at

s = ut + 1/2 at2 and

v2 = u2 + 2as

With the velocity at which the bear fell and the time it took to hit the ground you should be able to determine it's mass and hence it's color. It is either going to be a brown bear (black) grizzly (brown) or polar (white).

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 12:16:15 AM »

v = u + at

s = ut + 1/2 at2 and

v2 = u2 + 2as

The bear's whatever fucking colour i want it to be. It's imaginary.
It's Hip to be Square!

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 12:18:34 AM »

I thought this at first but it seems too simple. Well, in truth, it has to be the answer doesn't it? Unless you are given a chart with the bears varying masses and corresponding species. Yeah, it has to be any color. Pretty interesting.

Alex23

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 12:23:37 AM »

v = u + at

s = ut + 1/2 at2 and

v2 = u2 + 2as

Wrong. Answer is Huge Nasser is in the way...

Please someone post that physics test pic ;D

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 12:48:28 AM »
Where's the gorilla in this story?

Haha gorilla vs bear would make this question impossible to solve!

With the velocity at which the bear fell and the time it took to hit the ground you should be able to determine it's mass and hence it's color. It is either going to be a brown bear (black) grizzly (brown) or polar (white).

Nope. The mass of the bear is not given and doesn't have a bearing on the answer - assume it's an average sized bear. Keep the guesses coming.

Not at all. It's a serious question and you'll see the solution when I post it soon. I want to see SMM's answer.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 12:50:54 AM »
Wrong. Answer is Huge Nasser is in the way...

Please someone post that physics test pic ;D

I know the one you're talking about, lol. Don't have it, but someone here should post it.

I thought this at first but it seems too simple. Well, in truth, it has to be the answer doesn't it? Unless you are given a chart with the bears varying masses and corresponding species. Yeah, it has to be any color. Pretty interesting.

No charts and again, assume an average sized bear.

This can be solved by any high school student who knows those 3 laws, which they all do. It's about how you arrive at the solution using those equations - just requires some out of the box thinking ;)

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 12:55:56 AM »
Again, the bear falls down a vertical cliff. You are given all the variables in the equations - it's initial velocity, final velocity, time taken for the fall, height of the cliff and even the slope (hypotenuse).

I've already given away the biggest hint.

UGMT

• Getbig II
  • Fortune favors the bold...
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 01:11:17 AM »
I've heard the one about the north pole so I'll just take a stab in the dark and say a polar bear. Please tell though I'm intrigued!

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 01:17:30 AM »
I've heard the one about the north pole so I'll just take a stab in the dark and say a polar bear. Please tell though I'm intrigued!

It's not about simply guessing the right answer. The question is, how do you arrive at the solution? All the data you need has been given, including the equations (you only need 1 or 2 of them) - you don't even need the specific values of the velocities or time or distance. And there are no tricks to the answer.

You need to use logic, not guess. And I'll post the answer once SMM and a couple of others have replied.

Already given it away, in a way.