Author Topic: Obama: U.S. needs to show automakers a real market for 'hybrids' - LMFAO  (Read 657 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Obama: U.S. needs to show automakers a real market for 'hybrids'
David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington — President Barack Obama said the United States needs to show the auto industry that Americans want more fuel-efficient vehicles.

"If we're serious about making the transition from gas-guzzlers to hybrids, we need to show automakers that there's a real market for these vehicles," Obama said at an appearance in Landover, Md., to tout "green" vehicle fleets. "We need to show them that if they manufacture fuel efficient cars and trucks, people will buy them. We need to put our money where our mouth is."

He noted that General Motors Co. and Ford Motor Co. are both building clean vehicles for large commercial fleets. "They're not going to build them if they don't think anybody's going to buy them," Obama said.

After a decade of sales, hybrids still account for less than 2.5 percent of all U.S. auto sales, and half of those are a single vehicle — the Toyota Prius.

Sales of GM's extended-range Chevrolet Volt and all-electric Nissan Leaf remain small. About 1,200 Volts and 500 Leaf vehicles have been sold in the first three months of the year.

Obama said the federal government — which has 600,000 vehicles — will be buying all "advanced technology" vehicles by 2015.

"This is one place where the government is leading by example," Obama said. "Right now, the government's fleet includes more than 600,000 vehicles, making it the single largest fleet in America. That means we have considerable purchasing power, and we're using it to boost clean energy technologies."

Those vehicles include plug-in vehicles and hybrids, but they also include millions of "flex fuel" vehicles that can run on either gasoline or mostly ethanol, called E85. So the government can continue to buy full-size inefficient SUVs and run them on regular gasoline blends under the policy.

Gloria Bergquist, a spokeswoman for the Alliance of Automobile Manufactures, the trade association representing General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co., Chrysler Group LLC, said the government should help encourage consumers to buy more fuel efficient vehicles. She praised the president for vowing to buy more fuel efficient vehicles for the federal fleet. "It's not a question of technology, it's a question of demand," she said.

During his speech, Obama praised companies for buying more fuel efficient vehicles like UPS, FedEx, AT&T, Verizon, and PepsiCo from automakers.

"These companies are leading the way when it comes to building clean fleets, and we need to make sure all our businesses are following their example," he said "I'm challenging you to replace your old fleet with a clean energy fleet that's not only good for your bottom line, but good for our economy, good for our country, and good for our planet."

Obama didn't announce any new money to defray the cost of purchasing more expensive green vehicles.

Obama also reiterated a call he made in his budget to turn a $7,500 tax credit for electric vehicles into a point-of-purchase rebate.

dshepardson@detnews.com

(202) 662-8735

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110401/AUTO01/104010433/Obama--U.S.-needs-to-show-automakers-a-real-market-for-‘hybrids’#ixzz1IMqttjp4

________________________ ________________________

Ok, are you obama fans convinced yet at when the rest of us say he is the most incompetent, illiterate, ignorant, idiotic, and stupid than this fool? 

I want to see his college records - I am convinced he has never taken an economics course in his entire life.   There simply is no way an "educated" person can be this dumb.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
"If we're serious about making the transition from gas-guzzlers to hybrids, we need to show automakers that there's a real market for these vehicles," Obama said at an appearance in Landover, Md., to tout "green" vehicle fleets. "We need to show them that if they manufacture fuel efficient cars and trucks, people will buy them. We need to put our money where our mouth is."

________________________ ________________________ __---

Please please please please please please one obama douchebag defend this. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
i've said from minute one that global warming being manmade is bullshit.  I criticized palin 2 years ago (big surprise!) when she blamed man for the climate change.  She did it.  On tv and everything.  it's a load of shit. 

However, from an economic standpoint, the rest of the world drives these little half-electric shitboxes, and we drive mini-tanks that get 9 mpg.

And as long as the economy supports it, so be it.  But if we're in 1, 2, 3 wars and a lot of it has to do with oil.... then I think you should have to serve in the military to drive an SUV :) :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
People dont buy hybrids because they are a waste of money and ridiculously expensive.   Its basic fucking math, something obama probaby has never taken either, lt alone economics.     

When customers perceive value for the added cost, they will start buying these things.  And these things are always about 4k more than the non-hybrid.  For 4k extra, you will never make that back.  Plus there are issues with the tech and battery replacements, etc. 

Unless obama has plans of forcing us to buy these things, which I would not put past him, this is more evidence of his incompetence and stupidity.             

240 is Back

• Getbig V
People dont buy hybrids because they are a waste of money and ridiculously expensive.   

Right now they are.  In 20 years, we'll probably all driving them, unless we want wars #4,5,6, and 7 for energy needs...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Right now they are.  In 20 years, we'll probably all driving them, unless we want wars #4,5,6, and 7 for energy needs...

You can buy a Honda Civic, Honda FIT, which both get 30+ mpg as it is.   

Plus, people cant afford this hybrid nonsense right now.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V

You can buy a Honda Civic, Honda FIT, which both get 30+ mpg as it is.   

Plus, people cant afford this hybrid nonsense right now.   

like i said, in 20 years.

BTW - does the average car in EUR cost more or less than our cars?  I thought we had the badass rides and they had the little compacts and hybrids.

I'm fine with the US going that route if it means we can avoid more wars.  if you want a giant SUV, fine... pick up a rifle and go get your oil.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
like i said, in 20 years.

BTW - does the average car in EUR cost more or less than our cars?  I thought we had the badass rides and they had the little compacts and hybrids.

I'm fine with the US going that route if it means we can avoid more wars.  if you want a giant SUV, fine... pick up a rifle and go get your oil.

Can I take my rifles to the Gulf of Mexico where Bama has his moritorium?   ;D  ;D 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Can I take my rifles to the Gulf of Mexico where Bama has his moritorium?   ;D  ;D 

your single fire AR-15 will be no match for the full auto rifles the mexicans get from our ATF :P

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
your single fire AR-15 will be no match for the full auto rifles the mexicans get from our ATF :P

;D  ;D

Picking up a Mossberg 500 Tactical Cruiser pistol grip with door breacher today.   Maybe that will work.   

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
The Chevy Volt is tearing it up. Its March sales skyrocketed......all the way to 608.  :o

240 is Back

• Getbig V
;D  ;D

Picking up a Mossberg 500 Tactical Cruiser pistol grip with door breacher today.   Maybe that will work.   

shit, your DHS-listed ass will be stun grenaded so fast, you'll never get a chance to drop the vaseline and the Rogue book, and get to your piece.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
One can only imagine the lists I am on.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
One can only imagine the lists I am on.

LOL!  your bald head is probably janet napaleano's screensaver.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
 ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
hahahaha i can never watch that ABC show with him in it. 

All I can picture is him shooting the snitch in the cheek on episode 1.  Him acting like a baffled superhero is just too bizarre.  i'd pay $5 an eipsode to see more Shield.  HBO should bring it back. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
hahahaha i can never watch that ABC show with him in it. 

All I can picture is him shooting the snitch in the cheek on episode 1.  Him acting like a baffled superhero is just too bizarre.  i'd pay $5 an eipsode to see more Shield.  HBO should bring it back. 

I wouldnt grow my hair back now even if I could.   love having a shaved head.