Author Topic: KSM to be tried by military commission at Gitmo; Holder set to announce  (Read 3537 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: KSM to be tried by military commission at Gitmo; Holder set to announce
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 08:03:41 PM »
EDITORIAL: Obama caves on terror trials
The Washington Times ^ | April 5, 2011 | Editorial

Attorney general forced to accept military tribunals for terrorists

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.’s 13-minute rant on abandoning plans for a civilian criminal trial for Sept. 11 attack mastermind Khalid Shaikh Mohammed (KSM) had the distinct tone of a sore loser. Mr. Holder’s failure to sell his vision of giving international terrorists the full constitutional rights enjoyed by U.S. citizens is a big win for our country.

Mr. Holder was clearly not happy about the fact that he has been ordered to drop his plans for a open-court trial in New York City for the al Qaeda uber-terrorist in favor of a military tribunal at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. He explained that the government “simply cannot allow a trial to be delayed any longer, for the victims of the 9/11 attacks or for their family members who have waited for nearly a decade for justice.”

Mr. Holder blamed Congress for the delay - intruding on “a unique executive branch function” - but it is now more than two years into the Obama administration, and for most of that time the White House enjoyed friendly majorities in both houses. The real story is Mr. Holder’s failure to rally the interagency process and Mr. Obama’s inability to lead even a sympathetic Congress. If this is indeed “a unique executive branch function,” then Mr. Obama is an astonishingly weak president for losing control of it.

Mr. Holder’s most jaw-dropping statement was that the terror trials “should never have been about settling ideological arguments or scoring political points.” We wonder what administration he thinks he is serving. For as long as the detainee issue has existed, Mr. Obama has taken every opportunity to twist it to his political advantage...

(Excerpt) Read more at m.washingtontimes.com ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 08:50:45 PM »
KSA triceps should be tried at Guantanamo. I'm glad Holder came to his senses.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 07:50:53 AM »
The Obama Administration Finally Reverses A Dangerously Dumb Decision
David Horowitz's NewsReal Blog ^ | Joseph Klein

It took two years, but the Obama administration finally announced that self-professed 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his four alleged co-conspirators will face prosecution by a military tribunal in Guantanamo. Attorney General Eric Holder, appearing as if he had been waterboarded into reversing his prior decision to try them in a federal court in New York, made the announcement yesterday.

The reversal spared the nation from a made-for-TV Al Qaeda propaganda circus and allowed New Yorkers to breathe a sigh of relief that they won’t have to host these monsters in their backyard.

Nevertheless, Holder just couldn’t miss an opportunity to take a swipe at Congress for what he called its “unwise and unwarranted” restrictions on where alien enemy combatants could be tried. This left him no choice but to abandon his original boneheaded decision to call for a civil trial in New York:

Unfortunately, since I made that decision, Members of Congress have intervened and imposed restrictions blocking the administration from bringing any Guantanamo detainees to trial in the United States, regardless of the venue. Members of Congress simply do not have access to the evidence and other information necessary to make prosecution judgments.

Do I know better than them? Yes. I respect their ability to disagree but they should respect that this is an executive branch function, a unique executive branch function.

And here I thought that Congress – which passed the Military Commissions Act of 2009 signed by President Obama under the legislative branch’s constitutional authority to “constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court” (Art. I, Sec. and to “ordain and establish” the inferior courts (Art. III, Sec. 1 ) – was equal to the executive branch.

(Excerpt) Read more at newsrealblog.com ...