Author Topic: How rough is Judo on your body?  (Read 5544 times)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
How rough is Judo on your body?
« on: April 05, 2011, 08:35:22 AM »
I've trained martial arts since I was about 12, starting out with karate, moving on to boxing, muay thai and systema.. I'm starting to feel age in my bones, was interested in Judo, I've always thought it was cool and very
practical/useful , can any Judoka's here shed the light on how tough on your body is the training? I know there's a lot of throws and getting thrown..just want to see if it's something I can see myself doing or if  I should just stick with what I know, it would be purely for the hell of it, I don't do security anymore and have no ambition of
fighting, etc.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Re: How rough is Judo on your body?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:50:07 PM »
I've trained martial arts since I was about 12, starting out with karate, moving on to boxing, muay thai and systema.. I'm starting to feel age in my bones, was interested in Judo, I've always thought it was cool and very
practical/useful , can any Judoka's here shed the light on how tough on your body is the training? I know there's a lot of throws and getting thrown..just want to see if it's something I can see myself doing or if  I should just stick with what I know, it would be purely for the hell of it, I don't do security anymore and have no ambition of
fighting, etc.

I had a bad experience in a throw gone wrong, it fucked up my neck and shoulder for a well over a year, after that I gave up grappling and stuck almost exclusively to boxing. Bad landings happen alot, it's bound to happen the longer you do it.  Get a good chiropractor and fire away breh. 
Predictions
 40/61

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:54:48 PM »
fighting, etc.

I started Judo last year. I also stopped last year.LOL Ended up messing up my lower back and had to shut it down for about 2-3 months, no action , chiropractor twice a week. If you are starting to feel age in your bones, I would say go for it (fuc it..lol) but make sure you have a good instructor who won't demolish you with his throws, tosses..etc don't just sign up at some random place with dick heads who see you and want to make an example out of you (talk to them and find out who will be working with you and just check out his attitude and get to know his history..etc).

Example: We just got a couple new trainers at our gym...one is extremely humble guy the other is a complete clown. The difference is the humble trainer fights professionally and trains professionals so he has the experience to talk to you and know exactly how you like to be learned...vs the other guy...basically a guy that hung around the gym so much they gave him a job as a trainer. If you listen to him talk all he'll talk about is himself..etc....THIS is the trainer you DON"T want. He has no real foundation. Just learned to fight basically a couple years ago and basically sucked. You'll end up rampage slamming this type into the ground as soon as he tries to turn it up on you.  

Since you are semi brittle from years of combat, I would say limit your hard sessions to once every few weeks let the days in between be "light" this way you won't be destroyed and can actually learn then go full speed when you want to. Believe it or not if you are paying to be taught/learn something you are in control of the pace..not them...you don't need to be getting hip tossed like you stole something....that's dumb..you are not in competition or a hard spar yet so make sure you express this. When I spar I go hard, but I can't go hard if i'm injured. .

Try doing some yoga now. It will help your back get ready for the abuse. The chiro pretty much fixed me even better than before. I can get more height on my kicks, don't tire as much after kicks..etc. I also had and issue with my right plant foot while boxing...like a nerve acting up in my arch...he fixed that too. I also wear a velcro belt for my back after workouts and during day at work to keep things from tightening up down there in the lower back area.

Go for it man. You only live once. Plus you get to add another tool to the toolbag.  ;)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 08:14:10 PM »
Thanks for the great responses guys!, excellent points on you paying their wages so you call the shots!

I think I'm going to do exactly that , go check out a few places, maybe read some reviews online

and go with a true professional (maybe ex olympic, etc.) I'm not 15 anymore and no one's punching bag, lol

I've been to schools where it's b.s like that, you basically pay them to beat you, fuck that! I'm 31 :)

marty31672

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:40:27 PM »
you can do jujitsu because jujitsu came from judo

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »
Thanks for the great responses guys!, excellent points on you paying their wages so you call the shots!

I think I'm going to do exactly that , go check out a few places, maybe read some reviews online

and go with a true professional (maybe ex olympic, etc.) I'm not 15 anymore and no one's punching bag, lol

I've been to schools where it's b.s like that, you basically pay them to beat you, fuck that! I'm 31 :)

Same here...I"m 33 and I don't play that sh*t at all. I'll go hard with the best on the planet if they think I can handle it by checking me out in there, but not with some clown that is simply out to make an example of me/WIN a spar to look good or make himself feel good.

To me that is dumb and makes no sense b/c you learn nothing in those situations brought on by a non discipline person. I usually resort to rough house tactics when dealing with those types by natural instinct then i'm the bad guy all of a sudden. LOL  ;)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 12:03:29 PM »
Same here...I"m 33 and I don't play that sh*t at all. I'll go hard with the best on the planet if they think I can handle it by checking me out in there, but not with some clown that is simply out to make an example of me/WIN a spar to look good or make himself feel good.

To me that is dumb and makes no sense b/c you learn nothing in those situations brought on by a non discipline person. I usually resort to rough house tactics when dealing with those types by natural instinct then i'm the bad guy all of a sudden. LOL  ;)

Totally, some people just should not be instructors, the insecure little shits on an ego trip definetly..
giving them a reality check in another art is the only way to make them underestand that you can play fire with fire, but in the end they still don't get that you're there to learn, not have a pissing contest

When I go to a new place, I'll hang around for half an hour (through start of class) and just see how everybody treats each other, if I see that it's all ego bullshit and people are getting hurt just so the instructor can 'look cool' I bail and go somewhere else.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:29:33 PM »
I did Japanese Jiu Jitsu for almost 2 years and it was a 60/40 split with the majority of what we did being judo.

Try to work with guys who know what they are doing-- I can't tell you how many injuries I saw where a novice was doing drills or randori with an advanced student and ended up injuring both of them by being overly agressive and tangling up feet, knees, arms-- or worse, not taking a throw and holding onto the gi.

The other most important thing you can do to avoid injury is learning how to fall properly. Whether its doing side falls, back falls, shoulder rolls, taking a throw, completing a throw, etc.-- figuring out how to minimize the level of impact when hitting the mat is the best skill you learn in judo next to throwing people. If you can master that, the likelihood of injury is relatively low.

As far as Judo being rough on your body-- it is. It's difficult for it not to be unless you are in a class full of sissys and don't get challeneged. I haven't done it in almost a year and I still have nagging injuries. It's fun, its useful, but its not the safest martial art there is.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 02:34:59 PM »
Totally, some people just should not be instructors, the insecure little shits on an ego trip definetly..
giving them a reality check in another art is the only way to make them underestand that you can play fire with fire, but in the end they still don't get that you're there to learn, not have a pissing contest

When I go to a new place, I'll hang around for half an hour (through start of class) and just see how everybody treats each other, if I see that it's all ego bullshit and people are getting hurt just so the instructor can 'look cool' I bail and go somewhere else.

Yep. Unfortunately most don't do this and end up getting destroyed (they fall for the old "you came here to fight..etc so tough up" crap), end up learning nothing while getting destroyed and $$$$ is wasted.  

I don't believe in that tough guy sh*t. I already know i'm tough...don't need to be told or pushed along to prove it. Teach me the fuc'n craft and haul a$$.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 05:25:56 PM »
Yep. Unfortunately most don't do this and end up getting destroyed (they fall for the old "you came here to fight..etc so tough up" crap), end up learning nothing while getting destroyed and $$$$ is wasted.  

I don't believe in that tough guy sh*t. I already know i'm tough...don't need to be told or pushed along to prove it. Teach me the fuc'n craft and haul a$$.

Heh, like my buddy said to an MMA fighter that wanted to put him in the hospital because he was obsessed with my
buddy's smoking hot girl, my buddy said to him on the phone "are you bulletproof? no? then STFU and fuck off"

after that he never heard from him again, few months later dude died, I think from heart failure or something, he wa a local star on his way to UFC and really fucked in the head.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 06:12:20 PM »
Heh, like my buddy said to an MMA fighter that wanted to put him in the hospital because he was obsessed with my
buddy's smoking hot girl, my buddy said to him on the phone "are you bulletproof? no? then STFU and fuck off"

after that he never heard from him again, few months later dude died, I think from heart failure or something, he wa a local star on his way to UFC and really fucked in the head.

cool story bro

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 06:54:30 PM »
did judo for a number of years and it can be rough on the body but the falling really shouldnt be a part of it to be honest. The only injuries I ever had from years and years of judo was dislocated fingers, broken toe, fractured arm(lost my grip going for a throw and fell on it), busted lip(i mean really busted LOL) and knee and shoulder pain from years of wear and tear.

If you know how to fall and fall PROPERLY then it really isnt bad from that aspect. Alot of ppl especially the newer or harder headed individuals tend to tense up when being thrown and this can lead to injury. You really just have to relax your body and expect the mat and position your body/slap at impact.

You do see alot of lower back injuries though from lifting or straining again not really using proper technique for the most part not all the time.

youll see broken ankles on occasion from foot sweeps etc.

Id say the biggest thing if you do it long enough are your fingers and your shoulders, elbows and knees depending on what throws you tend to favor.

My knees are pretty bad b/c when i was younger i used drop seoi nage alot which is pretty much like dropping to your knees while spinning.

My shoulders are pretty bad no doubt b/c of lifting but also b/c as I got older I use meroti seio nage and sodi alot and those throws can be rough on your shoulders.

IMHO its pretty safe if you go in there with the understanding that learing the proper technique to fall is paramount and you dont try to be a typical tough guy and use all muscle. That is when youre going to get hurt honestly.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 07:10:33 PM »

yep..tough guys...gotta love em. Especially this new MMA generation of a$$holes who like to advertise they "fight MMA" every opportunity they can.

I like your friends style.  ;D

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 07:16:13 PM »
yep..tough guys...gotta love em. Especially this new MMA generation of a$$holes who like to advertise they "fight MMA" every opportunity they can.

I like your friends style.  ;D

The creepy part was that he actually died a few months later, but my buddy had nothing to do with it, I think he stopped taking his meds for a while, guy was a nutcase, but I know he wasn't as bad as he talked, he just really wanted my buddy's girl, two other guys I know had run ins with him and slapped him around, without the cage and his jiu jitsu he was nothing.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 07:31:29 PM »
The creepy part was that he actually died a few months later, but my buddy had nothing to do with it, I think he stopped taking his meds for a while, guy was a nutcase, but I know he wasn't as bad as he talked, he just really wanted my buddy's girl, two other guys I know had run ins with him and slapped him around, without the cage and his jiu jitsu he was nothing.

Prisoner of his own mind. Too bad for the dude he had to die. 

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »
Prisoner of his own mind. Too bad for the dude he had to die. 

He was one of the top guys in Canada, I know UFC had expressed interest in him, maybe a dark match or something
but he was on his way up, then later I found out he had been fucked up since elementary school and on all sorts of
anti depressants and psychotropics. The girl I'm talking about, I have her pic on my other machine, imagine a Polish blonde Angelina with implants that does muay thai and grappling, this chic was a 10+ he was stalking her, calling her 20+ times a day, they were somewhat friends through a mutual friend..it was fucked up but I guess at least he's at peace now. I can't remember his last name but first name was Jim or Jimmy, he was like turkish/indian or something and competed around 170.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 04:03:54 AM »
I did Judo and i loved the strangulations "Shime-Waza". My advice to you is take up AIKIDO. Great joint locks and throws that are more controlled. Aikido takes "Kansetsu-waza" a stage further quicker..you will learn the juisy locks later in Judo at Dan Grade(wrist locks) "Goshin Jitsu no Kata. Find a school of TOMIKI AIKIDO, he has developed a style with a lot of Judo and Aikido Principles..a great School of Aikido.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 04:34:39 PM »
Fedor sucks.
w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 04:35:24 PM »
JK.  This is a decent thread with a lot of good info and some funny thrown in.  Wish there were more like it.
w

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 10:21:32 PM »
He was one of the top guys in Canada, I know UFC had expressed interest in him, maybe a dark match or something
but he was on his way up, then later I found out he had been fucked up since elementary school and on all sorts of
anti depressants and psychotropics. The girl I'm talking about, I have her pic on my other machine, imagine a Polish blonde Angelina with implants that does muay thai and grappling, this chic was a 10+ he was stalking her, calling her 20+ times a day, they were somewhat friends through a mutual friend..it was fucked up but I guess at least he's at peace now. I can't remember his last name but first name was Jim or Jimmy, he was like turkish/indian or something and competed around 170.

Are you out of Ontario, Captain?

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 12:22:27 AM »
Are you out of Ontario, Captain?

Yeah, Toronto

basically the New York of Canada..

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 02:48:12 AM »
Yeah, Toronto

Racist post reported.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 07:59:25 PM »
Yeah, Toronto

I know where it is, im an hour away. and yes, its an overpopulated urban dump.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 10:25:03 PM »
I know where it is, im an hour away. and yes, its an overpopulated urban dump.

LOL, aren't all large metropolitan cities? though in all fairness I'm a city boy, I can't stand the quiet small town life, I need everything open 24 hours to feel normal! lol there's 3 large movie theatres within 5 minutes of where my house is, 2 best buys and 3 major malls

I LOVE IT...
:)

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 10:38:45 PM »
LOL, aren't all large metropolitan cities? though in all fairness I'm a city boy, I can't stand the quiet small town life, I need everything open 24 hours to feel normal! lol there's 3 large movie theatres within 5 minutes of where my house is, 2 best buys and 3 major malls

I LOVE IT...
:)

Yeah t.o is awesome come summertime. lots of women from all different cultures, great waterfront and kick ass nightlife and cool people. Too big for me though, rather live near it but not in it. After all, Dont shit in your own backyard use the neighbors.