Author Topic: I. O. U. S. A. - Send this to Obama and the other Democrats ASAP  (Read 3014 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: I. O. U. S. A. - Send this to Obama and the other Democrats ASAP
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:50:02 AM »

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
  • put more nitrous on that, it still has spark plugs
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:51:40 AM »
All that's ok,  just ask liberals!!    just turn the printing presses on and spend our way to being debt free.

::)
down with hussein

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:51:55 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 08:53:57 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 08:57:41 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 09:01:23 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 09:03:26 AM »

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 09:04:47 AM »
The bottom line is that the Repubs are largely responsible for our current situation yet they won't take any responsibity for it and in fact want to double down (and there is a specific reason for this)

Republicans don't like the government and don't like government spending that benefits our country (infrastructure, education, etc..) or the majority of the citizens (social security, medicare, etc..)

Republicans represent large corporations and the people who run them and that's it.  

Rich people don't need anything from the government other than a low or non-existent tax rate and no restrictions on business of any kind so don't expect them to ever be in favor on anything that benefits 95% of the citizens or 100% of the common good

The Republicans wet dream is to destroy the government or to get it a level where they can drown it in a bathtub (this is literally how they imagine it in their idealized world).  

Old School Republicans used to hide their intentions but this new school of Tea Baggers (who are really running the show in Washington and in many states) are either too stupid or just can't be bothered in hiding their true agenda

The current debt issue was intentionally manufactured by the Republicans

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 09:08:47 AM »
The bottom line is that the Repubs are largely responsible for our current situation yet they won't take any responsibity for it and in fact want to double down (and there is a specific reason for this)

Republicans don't like the government and don't like government spending that benefits our country (infrastructure, education, etc..) or the majority of the citizens (social security, medicare, etc..)

Republicans represent large corporations and the people who run them and that's it.  

Rich people don't need anything from the government other than a low or non-existent tax rate and no restrictions on business of any kind so don't expect them to ever be in favor on anything that benefits 95% of the citizens or 100% of the common good

The Republicans wet dream is to destroy the government or to get it a level where they can drown it in a bathtub (this is literally how they imagine it in their idealized world).  

Old School Republicans used to hide their intentions but this new school of Tea Baggers (who are really running the show in Washington and in many states) are either too stupid or just can't be bothered in hiding their true agenda

::)  ::)

Pelosi had from 2007 to 2009 to deal with this w bush - she didnt.   

Pelosi had 2 years w bama and she exploded the debt and deficit./  Sorry Straw - the time for kneepadding is over.  obama did not even deal with the recs of his own debt commission!   

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 09:11:22 AM »
Good post straw.  However, i fear Obama has possibly bought into supply-side economics.  He's running similar policies to Bush, but does get an unfair share of the blame.

Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 09:13:40 AM »

::)  ::)

Pelosi had from 2007 to 2009 to deal with this w bush - she didnt.   

Pelosi had 2 years w bama and she exploded the debt and deficit./  Sorry Straw - the time for kneepadding is over.  obama did not even deal with the recs of his own debt commission!   

It's weird how you think one person can make all the difference.  Pelosi may have a powerful title but without cooperation she ain't getting anything through.  That's how government works.  You can't just push through everything you want even within your own party there will be riffs and disagreements. 

Obama thought he could and look what happened.  He lost support of his own party and base on a lot of issue precisely because you have to make concessions that are unpopular when you've promised not to do so. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »
Good post straw.  However, i fear Obama has possibly bought into supply-side economics.  He's running similar policies to Bush, but does get an unfair share of the blame.

www.usdebtclock.com

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »

www.usdebtclock.com

::)  Oh jeez.  Yeah lets cut everything and turn into Japan of the 90's good idea!   

Oh wait you read economics for dummies you know more than those guys!
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 09:16:21 AM »
It's weird how you think one person can make all the difference.  Pelosi may have a powerful title but without cooperation she ain't getting anything through.  That's how government works.  You can't just push through everything you want even within your own party there will be riffs and disagreements. 

Obama thought he could and look what happened.  He lost support of his own party and base on a lot of issue precisely because you have to make concessions that are unpopular when you've promised not to do so. 

Why did Bama send Simpson/Bowles over the cliff on their commission recomendations?  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »

I don't know if he's bought in as much as caved in

his capitulation to the Repubs is disappointing to say the least and regarding "regulation" I'm definitely not a fan of the so called Financial Reform which did almost nothing to address the causes of the problems and has resulted in even larger banks than before the bailout and will almost certainly hurt the consumer in the long run (we're already starting to see this happening)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »
::)  Oh jeez.  Yeah lets cut everything and turn into Japan of the 90's good idea!   

Oh wait you read economics for dummies you know more than those guys!

Japan has been spending like mad - did it help them  no.  

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 09:18:53 AM »

his capitulation to the Repubs is disappointing to say the least and regarding "regulation" I'm definitely not a fan of the so called Financial Reform which did almost nothing to address the causes of the problems and has resulted in even larger banks than before the bailout and will almost certainly hurt the consumer in the long run (we're already starting to see this happening)

Am I missing something here? I believe the Dems controlled the house, senate, and POTUS how/why would the dems have cave in? Sounds to me like they did exactly what they wanted to.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 09:21:56 AM »

Perhaps.  I feel he has tried to play both sides a bit too much.  I don't think he was able to convey exactly what was needed and his party wasn't prepared to take the drastic steps needed.  The dems in the senate and house knew that they would face the wrath of the people if they passed anything too controversial.  What they failed to realize is, Obama was elected to get those controversial issues dealt with.  Failure to do so resulted in a republican win and will result in a probable one term for Obama.  A lesson to all future presidents and their party. 
Abandon every hope...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 09:26:30 AM »
Am I missing something here? I believe the Dems controlled the house, senate, and POTUS how/why would the dems have cave in? Sounds to me like they did exactly what they wanted to.

yeah you are missing something

the last two years

Dems controlled the house but didn't really have control of the Senate and the bizarro rules of the Senate allowed a few people to hold up all kinds of legislation, appointments, etc.. through the use of secret hold, fillibuster (or more accurately just the threat of a filibuster)

remember back in the mid 2000 when Repubs threatened to get rid of the filibuster.   Check out how they doubled down on it as soon as they were in the minority

http://senate.gov/pagelayout/reference/cloture_motions/clotureCounts.htm

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 09:27:37 AM »
Straw - please tell me what obama and the dems have done to remotely deal with the debt and deficit?   

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 09:34:40 AM »

Eh, August 15, 1971 and Nixon axing the dollars ability to be converted into gold, in my opinion, is the biggest cause of all this. The USD turned into a fully bunk fiat currency at that point and unlimited printing and unlimited borrowing (with the Federal Reserve) could then take place. You can throw LBJ's Great Society disaster and the S.S. Trust Fund being turned into a general fund as well. Wars don't help either and neither does massive military spending.

But do you or do you not agree that S.S., Medicare,Medicaid and their unsustainability is the budgets biggest problem? Revenue is a problem too, but you have to balance growth with higher taxes or at least a more efficient tax system.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 09:37:56 AM »
After reading Creature from Jekyll Island 0 I agree with you 10000% percent.  going off the Gold Standard was one of the worst things we ever did.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 09:48:14 AM »
Eh, August 15, 1971 and Nixon axing the dollars ability to be converted into gold, in my opinion, is the biggest cause of all this. The USD turned into a fully bunk fiat currency at that point and unlimited printing and unlimited borrowing (with the Federal Reserve) could then take place. You can throw LBJ's Great Society disaster and the S.S. Trust Fund being turned into a general fund as well. Wars don't help either and neither does massive military spending.

But do you or do you not agree that S.S., Medicare,Medicaid and their unsustainability is the budgets biggest problem? Revenue is a problem too, but you have to balance growth with higher taxes or at least a more efficient tax system.

I agree with this part and we can easily increase corporate tax revenue without even changing the tax code by just closing all the loopholes that incentivize/reward corporations to avoid taxes in the US.  I also don't see any problem with letting the Bush tax cuts expire and go back to the same tax code we had under Clinton (and I'd like to see some real reform/elination of AMT)