Author Topic: Rep. Paul Ryan Raises Profile With 'Bold' Budget Plan  (Read 1859 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Rep. Paul Ryan Raises Profile With 'Bold' Budget Plan
« on: April 06, 2011, 01:33:13 PM »
Finally, someone in DC with the stones to start taking action to reign in runaway federal spending.  Props to him.

Rep. Paul Ryan Raises Profile With 'Bold' Budget Plan
By Stephen Clark
Published April 06, 2011 | FoxNews.com

AP2011
House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, R-Wis., touts his 2012 federal budget during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, April 5, 2011. (AP)

He's a rising star on the right and a growing target on the left.

Washington is buzzing about Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan's take-no-prisoners approach to budget cuts -- manifested in his budget proposal that would slash federal spending by $6.2 trillion over 10 years and overhaul health programs for the elderly and poor.

As Congress wages an epic budget battle that threatens this weekend to shut down the federal government for the first time in 15 years, Ryan's willingness to offer specifics on how to tame deficits and preserve the American safety net is boosting his profile among Republicans and stirring speculation that he may be on the short list of GOP vice presidential contenders.

"I think that Paul Ryan is the brightest light in the Republican Party right now," said former Sen. Bob Kasten, a fellow Wisconsin Republican who once employed Ryan. "And the courage he's shown is unlike anyone in Washington today, including the president."

"Whether for president or vice president or for further leadership in Congress, he's on everyone's list," he said, adding that the choice would be up to him.

Ryan, 41, is chairman of the House Budget Committee and known as the Republican go-to guy on fiscal policy, a position that has placed him at the center of the most contentious Capitol Hills debates in recent years, including Obama's health care overhaul. But his new budget proposal is elevating him to a new level of fame or notoriety, depending on which side you're on.

He wants to tackle the $14.3 trillion national debt while reducing the deficit by $4.4 trillion over the next decade. He wants to cut the top tax rate for both individuals and corporations from 35 percent to 25 percent. He also wants to transform Medicare into a system in which the government would pay for private health insurance plans instead of paying doctors and hospitals directly.

While Republicans have called it a good starting point, Democrats are dismissing it as an attack on senior citizens.

Ryan says he's not surprised by the reaction.

"I always knew if you put bold reforms out there, you'll have the partisan demagoguery," he told Fox News Wednesday, contending that's why nothing gets done in Washington.

"We can't keep doing that in this country," he said. "We got to stop spending money we don't have."

Ryan said his budget proposal is driven by his desire to leave behind a better country for his three young children.

"I'm putting out a budget plan that we're bringing to committee to save trillions of dollars so we can give our children a debt-free nation and get this economy growing again."

This isn't the first time Ryan has stepped onto the national stage or been in the crosshairs of liberals.

During last fall's election season, Democrats attacked Ryan's proposal of "A Roadmap for America's Future," which offered workers under 55 the option of investing part of their Social Security taxes in government-run personal retirement accounts. Those choosing to invest would get a lower guaranteed Social Security benefit when they retire.

But Republicans still recaptured the House and increased their ranks in the Senate.

"What's great about Ryan, not only is he a great communicator but he knows what he's talking about," said GOP strategist and former Capitol Hill aide Ron Bonjean, a Wisconsin native. "He provided the Roadmap to America, which helped Republicans win the majority in the House. Now he's providing a budget that can help presidential candidates communicate their vision on where they want the country to go."

Ryan grew up in Janesville -- a southern Wisconsin town near the Illinois border -- and graduated from Ohio's Miami University. Elected to Congress in 1998 at the age of 28 as the youngest member of the freshman class, he is now serving in his seventh term. Ryan, who has described himself as a nerd when it comes to budgetary issues, declined an offer from former President George W. Bush to be his White House budget director in his second term.

As a member of Obama's presidential deficit commission, Ryan, like other House participants, refused to support the final recommendations made by its co-chairmen late last year because it included tax increases, and he said it didn't go far enough in controlling health care costs.

In January, Ryan went head-to-head with Obama, giving the official GOP response to the president's State of the Union address. Ryan declared the nation was at a tipping point leading to a bleak future if federal deficits weren't trimmed. His speech, however, was overshadowed by Rep. Michelle Bachmann bucking Republican leadership to deliver what she called a Tea Party response.

Now Ryan is casting a long shadow himself with his budget plan.

"The budget he proposed is bold, controversial and eye-opening to many ," Bonjean said. "It will be discussed in political science classes for years to come."

Bonjean said the budget represents a "strategic vision on where he wants to take the country."

"That is one area lacking right now in the presidential cycle," he said. "We need leaders who can say this is where the country should go and here's the fiscal budget to do it."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/06/rep-paul-ryan-raises-profile-bold-budget-plan/

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: Rep. Paul Ryan Raises Profile With 'Bold' Budget Plan
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 01:50:49 PM »
The leftists have been melting down left and right over this proposal. They've done everything but present a counter-proposal that actually accomplishes something along the lines of Ryan's.

Who would have thought that? They've got nothing but insults and fearmongering.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »
The leftists have been melting down left and right over this proposal. They've done everything but present a counter-proposal that actually accomplishes something along the lines of Ryan's.

At least he put something out there based somewhat on reality.   bama is heading to rally blacks in NYC w Al Sharpton and shut down the govt over 60 billion!     

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 02:00:12 PM »

According to Dems, we're going to grow our way out of this $14 trillion debt by printing more money.  No need to attack the senior citizens of our country  ::).

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 02:08:44 PM »
5.6 trillion in spending cuts... then a gift of 4 trillion in tax breaks to the rich.

LMFAO.... he could leave those taxes alone and cut 9.6 trillion per years, but he's got to jerk off his $ masters.  Nice!

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »
5.6 trillion in spending cuts... then a gift of 4 trillion in tax breaks to the rich.

LMFAO.... he could leave those taxes alone and cut 9.6 trillion per years, but he's got to jerk off his $ masters.  Nice!

Still better than what the Dems presented? What have the Dems presented you ask? Nothing whatsoever. Your heroes won't even present a proposal. They're too busy crying about senior citizens getting killed off or whatever stupid shit they're on to today.

Guess that's what happens when Ryan backs your party into a corner.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 02:15:17 PM »
Still better than what the Dems presented? What have the Dems presented you ask? Nothing whatsoever. Your heroes won't even present a proposal. They're too busy crying about senior citizens getting killed off or whatever stupid shit they're on to today.

Guess that's what happens when Ryan backs your party into a corner.

Dems are obviously wrong.  Nobody is defending them.  Happy?

My point is that Paul Ryan's budget is pretty much "cut a bunch of stuff that rich or religious people hate" and "then hook up some rich folks with more tax cuts".

I didn't think Paul Ryan was a tool like most of the others - but this one looks bad.  Oddly, he didn't mention these tax cuts when presenting it to the nation ;)

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Dems are obviously wrong.  Nobody is defending them.  Happy?

My point is that Paul Ryan's budget is pretty much "cut a bunch of stuff that rich or religious people hate" and "then hook up some rich folks with more tax cuts".

I didn't think Paul Ryan was a tool like most of the others - but this one looks bad.  Oddly, he didn't mention these tax cuts when presenting it to the nation ;)

Do you or your heroes have a better proposal beyond "print more money"? If you don't, then you're really in no position to criticize Ryan's proposal.

Come back when you've got a better proposal....or ANY proposal, for that matter.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 02:25:10 PM »
Do you or your heroes have a better proposal beyond "print more money"? If you don't, then you're really in no position to criticize Ryan's proposal.

Come back when you've got a better proposal....or ANY proposal, for that matter.

I have a proposal - i support all of Ryan's spending cuts - WITHOUT add'l tax cuts for teh wealthy.

Cut 9.6 to 9.8 trillion (NY times #) instead of 4.6 trillion.

If you're gonna screw old people, fine, but don't send that $ to wealthy sending jobs overseas.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 02:26:56 PM »
I have a proposal - i support all of Ryan's spending cuts - WITHOUT add'l tax cuts for teh wealthy.

If you're gonna screw old people, fine, but don't send that $ to wealthy sending jobs overseas.

Hi 240! Hope all is well.

Say, could you define those "Cuts for the wealthy"  that you keep talking about? I'm just interested in what they are!

Thanks!

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »

Say, could you define those "Cuts for the wealthy"  that you keep talking about? I'm just interested in what they are!

Thanks!

Hahaha. This should be good.

"Uh, uh, he's killing senior citizens!"

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 02:29:29 PM »

Say, could you define those "Cuts for the wealthy"  that you keep talking about? I'm just interested in what they are!

Thanks!

cutting corp tax rate from 35% to 25%

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 02:29:32 PM »

If this deal was on the table, it would be real compromise.  But, the dems would never go for it.  Cuts are not allowed on their watch.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 02:30:33 PM »

Not good enough, bud!

Thanks for trying though! Maybe you could puke up some more class-warfare hyperbole in the meantime!

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 02:31:07 PM »
Not good enough, bud!

Thanks for trying though! Maybe you could puke up some more class-warfare hyperbole in the meantime!

PWNT!

Hammer dropped right on 240's face.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 02:31:30 PM »
The Republican plan would also slash individual and corporate income taxes by more than $4 trillion below current projections, somewhat offsetting the spending cuts and limiting the overall reduction in the deficit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/us/politics/06ryan.html?_r=1&ref=politics

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 02:34:16 PM »
They don't touch the gigantic defense budget.
They give some hella nice tax cuts to the wealthy.

They cut planned parenthood, NPR, medicare, and a bunch of things like that.
Plus they give most of that right back to the wealthy.

I mean, really, at least give some semblance of compromise... this almost looks like The Onion wrote it lol....  NO WONDER most repubs won't touch it.  This is nothing more than paul Ryan sucking up to the rich, grandstanding.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 02:36:09 PM »

Go away.   

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »
The Republican plan would also slash individual and corporate income taxes by more than $4 trillion below current projections, somewhat offsetting the spending cuts and limiting the overall reduction in the deficit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/us/politics/06ryan.html?_r=1&ref=politics

This fucking logic just irks me to no end. The fucking money doesn't belong to the government!!!!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 02:40:25 PM »
They don't touch the gigantic defense budget.
They give some hella nice tax cuts to the wealthy.

They cut planned parenthood, NPR, medicare, and a bunch of things like that.
Plus they give most of that right back to the wealthy.

I mean, really, at least give some semblance of compromise... this almost looks like The Onion wrote it lol....  NO WONDER most repubs won't touch it.  This is nothing more than paul Ryan sucking up to the rich, grandstanding.

You're an idiot.

From the NY Times.
--Like the Bowles-Simpson fiscal commission and other bipartisan groups, Mr. Ryan would eliminate many, though unspecified, income tax breaks to generate greater federal income. But unlike the other groups, he would use the new revenues only to lower tax rates to a maximum 25 percent for individuals and corporations, down from 35 percent. Again, details would be left to the appropriate legislative committees. The other deficit study groups would devote some revenues to reducing deficits.---

Lowering the rates and closing the credits, loopholes, deductions etc. Guess what, if you do this those "RICH THIEVING BASTARDS" will probably end up having a larger income tax liability at the end of the tax season. Same with the corporations. The defense budget I will agree on, but you're wading into the deep end without your floaties on concerning everything else.

Please stop posting in this thread.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 05:06:49 PM »
This fucking logic just irks me to no end. The fucking money doesn't belong to the government!!!!!

I agree.  Not much logic there though. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 05:07:27 PM »
You're an idiot.

From the NY Times.
--Like the Bowles-Simpson fiscal commission and other bipartisan groups, Mr. Ryan would eliminate many, though unspecified, income tax breaks to generate greater federal income. But unlike the other groups, he would use the new revenues only to lower tax rates to a maximum 25 percent for individuals and corporations, down from 35 percent. Again, details would be left to the appropriate legislative committees. The other deficit study groups would devote some revenues to reducing deficits.---

Lowering the rates and closing the credits, loopholes, deductions etc. Guess what, if you do this those "RICH THIEVING BASTARDS" will probably end up having a larger income tax liability at the end of the tax season. Same with the corporations. The defense budget I will agree on, but you're wading into the deep end without your floaties on concerning everything else.

Doh!  lol   :)

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 05:19:57 PM »
You're an idiot.

From the NY Times.

OWNED.

You'll have to forgive 240. He takes his talking points from the democratic party.  :-\

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 06:26:21 PM »
Bump for uninformed fearmongers.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 06:33:26 PM »
According to the far left freak show - unless taxes are 100 percent we are adding to the deficit.