Author Topic: MICHIGAN Blog - Questions and i will give answers  (Read 15078 times)

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
Re: MICHIGAN Blog - Questions and i will give answers
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »
Damn that dude is going shit for days after that.

You always got the Waffle House :D :D

We did not have one of those in Ann Arbor.  >:(
D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2011, 08:40:46 PM »
Obviously rumors+allegations don't necessarily turn into verified violations, and even then, they don't necessarily turn into specific penalties, so Tressel may not be going anywhere after this year.  But there is a chance he will, at least.  If he does leave, who becomes their next coach?  Some candidates:

1. Urban Meyer.  Odds: 10-1

I think it's too early for Meyer to return to football, since he said he was going to spend time with his family.  Plus he's not going to leave retirement for a program riddled with sanctions anyways.  I just don't see this as likely, though the likelihood rises if Tressel sticks it out another year and/or OSU's penalties are light. 

2. Luke Fickell.  Odds 3-1.

If Tressel does get the boot this year, they'll likely pick a very solid, unspectacular, bean-counting, squeaky-clean true believer.  Fickell is many of those things.  If Fickell is not implicated in whatever causes Tressel to hypothetically leave, he's one of the prime candidates.  If not, they'll have to look elsewhere. 

3. Darrell Hazell.  Odds 5-1.

Here's another possibility.  Though he was on the program until recently, he will have been away for the Tatgate shenanigans fallout.  Has most of the upside of Fickell too.  Only problem is that he was literally just hired as Kent State's coach, and a one-and-done flight to OSU could create more attention than a hypothetically beleaguered OSU athletic department, conceivably seeking stability, wants.

4. Mark Dantonio.  Odds 20-1.

I know some OSU bloggers are suggesting Dantonio, which would be funny in some ways, and not in others.  He had no compunction leaving Cincinnati for MSU, so I doubt loyalty would be a factor.  But I just don't see him leaving a stable MSU situation for an unstable OSU one (which is what it would be, in this hypothetical scenario). 

5. Someone else.  Odds 4-5.

As you can see, I think Fickell and Hazell are the most likely candidates, but both are almost certainly to be tarnished by whatever tarnishes might tarnish Tressel to the point where he goes.  So I don't give them more that a 41.67% chance of becoming the next OSU coach...unless the violations end up not being as bad as the allegations and Tressel stays on.  Then that likelihood increases. 

But if, indeed, they are, then I think the chances of looking outside, perhaps for a former OSU assistant or another successful lower-division coach rises.  Who are the likely candidates? 

When your team is winning, be ready to be tough, because winning can make you soft. On the other hand, when your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing. -Bo
D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2011, 09:54:55 PM »
Obviously rumors+allegations don't necessarily turn into verified violations, and even then, they don't necessarily turn into specific penalties, so Tressel may not be going anywhere after this year.  But there is a chance he will, at least.  If he does leave, who becomes their next coach?  Some candidates:

1. Urban Meyer.  Odds: 10-1

I think it's too early for Meyer to return to football, since he said he was going to spend time with his family.  Plus he's not going to leave retirement for a program riddled with sanctions anyways.  I just don't see this as likely, though the likelihood rises if Tressel sticks it out another year and/or OSU's penalties are light. 

2. Luke Fickell.  Odds 3-1.

If Tressel does get the boot this year, they'll likely pick a very solid, unspectacular, bean-counting, squeaky-clean true believer.  Fickell is many of those things.  If Fickell is not implicated in whatever causes Tressel to hypothetically leave, he's one of the prime candidates.  If not, they'll have to look elsewhere. 

3. Darrell Hazell.  Odds 5-1.

Here's another possibility.  Though he was on the program until recently, he will have been away for the Tatgate shenanigans fallout.  Has most of the upside of Fickell too.  Only problem is that he was literally just hired as Kent State's coach, and a one-and-done flight to OSU could create more attention than a hypothetically beleaguered OSU athletic department, conceivably seeking stability, wants.

4. Mark Dantonio.  Odds 20-1.

I know some OSU bloggers are suggesting Dantonio, which would be funny in some ways, and not in others.  He had no compunction leaving Cincinnati for MSU, so I doubt loyalty would be a factor.  But I just don't see him leaving a stable MSU situation for an unstable OSU one (which is what it would be, in this hypothetical scenario). 

5. Someone else.  Odds 4-5.

As you can see, I think Fickell and Hazell are the most likely candidates, but both are almost certainly to be tarnished by whatever tarnishes might tarnish Tressel to the point where he goes.  So I don't give them more that a 41.67% chance of becoming the next OSU coach...unless the violations end up not being as bad as the allegations and Tressel stays on.  Then that likelihood increases. 

But if, indeed, they are, then I think the chances of looking outside, perhaps for a former OSU assistant or another successful lower-division coach rises.  Who are the likely candidates? 

When your team is winning, be ready to be tough, because winning can make you soft. On the other hand, when your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing. -Bo
Maybe RR?  :D :D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2011, 10:18:19 PM »
Maybe RR?  :D :D

I would love that!!!  8) I can also see Bob Stoops coming there.  >:( Fuck that. He is from Younstown, Ohio and O$U would shell out the money for him, but i am not so sure Oklahoma would let him go that easily.  ;)
D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2011, 12:50:23 PM »
 Its a shame they cant bring Woody back to take out some key players on the other teams.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2011, 12:55:28 PM »
Its a shame they cant bring Woody back to take out some key players on the other teams.

I respect him, but i will always hate him because of my MICHIGAN ties and i had to attend Clemson for two years.  ;) Woody was a hated man amongst some of the old Clemson players that i got to work out with.  8)
D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2011, 01:00:44 PM »
So you got a double dose of him O$U and then the Clemson thing never thought about that. He was a good coach and a excellent asshole.  :D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »
So you got a double dose of him O$U and then the Clemson thing never thought about that. He was a good coach and a excellent asshole.  :D

No, well, i trained with a few guys who were on that team and they saw me in a MICHIGAN shirt and asked me about #O$U.....and i just went off....but they accepted me and i got to know some of the shit that they did while they played at Clemson.
D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2011, 10:54:36 PM »
Ok, here is some stuff i typed earlier this week on Mgoblog and fill like sharing with anyone interested.

I was having a conversation today with friend/colleague Brandon Huffman, the West Region recruiting analyst for Scout, and given the fact that I'm on MGoBlog and therefore am a Michigan junkie, I decided to pick his brain about some relevant stuff.

Here are some things I thought would be of interest (this is all straight from him, and if TomVH or anyone has more detailed info, feel free to share in the comments -- I'm not a recruiting expert):

-- Michigan probably doesn't have much of a shot with Andrus Peat despite making his cutdown to 13 teams, but that's not necessarily a big deal because ...

-- Obviously Michigan is in good shape with Magnusson and Banner, and with Diamond also looking likely, the tackle position seems to be in fine shape -- we should end up with at least two highly touted tackles.

-- He feels Jordan Simmons will end up at Michigan. He said Simmons works out at a facility where he's trained by former UM guard Courtney Morgan (remember him?), and Michigan and Ohio State were both pretty high on Simmons' list ... until this week. Simmons apparently (I'm not clear if this was direct or second-hand info) is no longer considering OSU, and Michigan might now be the favorite.

-- He has a friend who was hired by Hoke and is still on the staff at San Diego State (I believe he's referring to CBs coach Tony White but am not positive), and he said Hoke is a great relationship-builder and will be a recruiting juggernaut at Michigan. With the network Hoke has built and good recruiters he's bought in, the recruiting success Michigan has had this year is not a fluke and won't necessarily go away even when local talent is down.

-- He feels Ohio State probably won't be hurt a ton right away by TresselGate because they're able to recruit so many born-and-bred Buckeyes from within Ohio, but nationally, they probably won't pull in many elite out-of-staters over the next few years (depending on eventual sanctions and coaching hire).

That's about it. My takeaway: It's amazing how everybody who has worked with/for Hoke seems to come away glowing about him like he's an old friend. And I thought the Simmons thing was particularly interesting, because I haven't heard him talked about much among the elite linemen who are likely to end up in this class.

Those who stay will be champions.
D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2011, 05:52:51 PM »

:D :D :D
D

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2011, 10:02:14 PM »
Hmmm - doesn't say the questions need to be sports-related, so

What would you say if one of our prominent homos (bay, johnnynoname) asked another poster his a/s/l and the other poster not only posted a/s/l but also a shirtless pic?

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2011, 10:32:43 PM »
Hmmm - doesn't say the questions need to be sports-related, so

What would you say if one of our prominent homos (bay, johnnynoname) asked another poster his a/s/l and the other poster not only posted a/s/l but also a shirtless pic?

dude, you do make me laugh at you.  :D :D
D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2011, 10:37:04 PM »
I grew up in Big 10 country but moved to the south where the SEC is king.  It was all about Da U in the early 2000s(Miami), until they fell off and interest waned.  I'm still a Big 10 fan at heart as many of my relatives graduated from Big 10 schools, primarily Illinois and Wisconsin.  My question is....what's it going to take for a Big 10 team to rise up and claim a National Championship.  The SEC is dominating college football right now.  The New Years Day Massacre had to be amongst the worst moments in B10 history.  Ohio State, easily the best of the B10 in the past 10 years, got trounced by LSU and Florida in the BCS NCG.  Last year, they survived a scare from the THIRD best team in the SEC West.  Michigan was demolished.

Should Michigan lower its standards for admittance?  Should they completely forgo the north and concentrate in Texas and the Southeast US for football recruits?  I was disappointed at their choice in a new coach.  I was hoping they'd get a group from a good SEC team. 

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2011, 11:06:40 PM »
I grew up in Big 10 country but moved to the south where the SEC is king.  It was all about Da U in the early 2000s(Miami), until they fell off and interest waned.  I'm still a Big 10 fan at heart as many of my relatives graduated from Big 10 schools, primarily Illinois and Wisconsin.  My question is....what's it going to take for a Big 10 team to rise up and claim a National Championship.  The SEC is dominating college football right now.  The New Years Day Massacre had to be amongst the worst moments in B10 history.  Ohio State, easily the best of the B10 in the past 10 years, got trounced by LSU and Florida in the BCS NCG.  Last year, they survived a scare from the THIRD best team in the SEC West.  Michigan was demolished.

Should Michigan lower its standards for admittance?  Should they completely forgo the north and concentrate in Texas and the Southeast US for football recruits?  I was disappointed at their choice in a new coach.  I was hoping they'd get a group from a good SEC team. 

WOW! A great question and thank you for your intrest. I am glad that you brought the January 1st demolishing, trashing, trenching, embarrassing play,...etc. Looking back i did not want Mississippi State, but that is what we got. Lemme get to Michigan first, the players had givin up on RR and i have spoke to quite a few that are now in the NFL and he was not the right choice. If i remember correctly Penn State took on Florida, correct...i am believe that is right, but anyways, Penn State had issues at QB all year long and looking back, they should have gotten beat worse, but it is what it is.

Alabama is Alabama and nothing was going to stop them that day. I remember watching that game and thinking that Alabama should have been in a better Bowl game. Alabama had better talent and coaching and it showed when they waxed Michigan State.

The SEC has very low requirements for enrollment and the biggest thing for them is OVER SIGNING and being able to let JUCO'S get into their programs.

The Big Ten has been very outspoken when it comes to this, but you have a guy like Houston Nutt who signed 43 players last year. Yea....43 players. I know the Big Ten is setting a hard cap at 25.

So, here is how over signing works...you know how you can re-take your SAT'S or ACT? Well, let's say you have the class you want when it comes to recruiting and are at full scholarship, but what's this....you have a player that just qualifies and this means that two or three players are shit out of luck. So, just imagine this...you signed with Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, Florida, South Carolina,..etc...It means that you will not get to enroll because that other player who is better than you just qualified. So, how would you feel if that happened to you or your Son/Daughter? The commit might have to go the juco route or they will be released from their scholarship because "They do not have room."  ::) Nick Saban is the master at this.

I never denied that the Big 10 has been bad the last 2 years; my only complaint was that people are completely freaking out and announcing the death of the conference as a national power. OSU beat Texas and Cincy in 2006, MSU/UM has wins over decent ND teams, MSU beat Pitt in 2006 and 2007, etc. So there are at least a few more examples of decent OOC teams that the Big 10 has beaten recently.

As I mentioned in the post, consider these results with a grain of salt. Yes, there are a lot of mediocre conference wins, but that is true for most conferences. Few teams in the SEC leave the south in the OOC, and the Big 10 played about 40 more OOC games against BCS teams than that conference. But that isn't the point. I said that I think the SEC and the Big 12 have been the best two conferences over the past few years, with the ACC, Big 10, and the Pac-10 occupying that next tier. the evidence bore that out, so what's your point in arguing?

My whole point, and I am starting to wonder if people actually read the damn conclusions, is that I think the MSM and the casual fans tend to overreact, and the newest rant is that the Big 10 is a horrible conference that isn't better than the MAC, WAC, MWC, etc. This exercise was intended to provide some evidence to refute this premise, with the understanding that I tried to keep my subjectivity to a minimum. You provided some evidence that supports my admission that the Big 10 hasn't been that good the past 3 bowl seasons, and I'm not going to argue that it doesn't show a recent slide. I just want people to take a step back and consider that maybe the Big 10's recent struggles are more a bump in the road than some horrible decline.

And no, the Big Ten should not lower their academic standards.

Thanks for the great question, man.  :) If anything else, please do not hesitate to ask.  8)

GO BLUE!!  8)
D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2011, 12:00:25 PM »
D

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2011, 12:12:31 PM »

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2011, 12:17:16 PM »

LMAO.. YOU A FOOL FOR THIS ONE

Terrelle looking Caked up.  :o :o
D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2011, 12:48:55 PM »

LMAO.. YOU A FOOL FOR THIS ONE
LOL.  O$U and U$C in Criminal Bowl next year. :D

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2011, 12:51:34 PM »

HAHAHAH  With SEC Refs

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2011, 01:01:27 PM »

That is Miami and Norte Dame......Yea, the SEC is full of criminals.
D