Author Topic: *Rumor* Zuffa brainstorming the idea of having a UFC vs. Strikeforce NYE event  (Read 1736 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
I'm sure the talks are incredibly premature, but after last night it already makes for all kinds of interesting match-ups.  You could almost see the dollar signs in Dana's eyes last night as Melendez destroyed Kawajiri...He had the most evil grin there for a minute lol.

Discuss.....

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=106

It's briefly mentioned at the bottom of the page on this link above ^ on the Sunday rumor mill.

Scott Coker was also interviewed last night on MMA live and he said "8 months to a year before we do crossover fights".  Which kinda puts it at about that general time frame.
Predictions
 40/61

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
That would be pretty cool....
w

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
That would be pretty cool....

There are so many great match-ups at almost every weight class, plus there is no risk financially in Champ vs. Champ matches since they are all under the same umbrella...at the end of the day the money goes to Zuffa.  Gilbert Melendez should be the first crossover match for sure.
Predictions
 40/61

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
There are so many great match-ups at almost every weight class, plus there is no risk financially in Champ vs. Champ matches since they are all under the same umbrella...at the end of the day the money goes to Zuffa.  Gilbert Melendez should be the first crossover match for sure.

It would be a great way to unify the belts....
w

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
It would be a great way to unify the belts....

Perhaps.

But this wont happen because strikeforces contract with showtime is for I believe 2 -3 more years. And no way they'd have shows with a promotion that could possibly have no champions.

Geo

• Getbig IV
With the exception of Melendez, I highly doubt Dana and the UFC are going to recognize the beltholders in Strikeforce enough to unify those titles...

Hendo and diaz are on dana's shit list and Dana has publicly said Overeem is unproven and overrated...

no real math involved here...it's just a gut feeling

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
With the exception of Melendez, I highly doubt Dana and the UFC are going to recognize the beltholders in Strikeforce enough to unify those titles...

Hendo and diaz are on dana's shit list and Dana has publicly said Overeem is unproven and overrated...

no real math involved here...it's just a gut feeling

Good point.  They may do something similar to what they did with Shields.

It pretty common knowledge that the Strikeforce belts are nowhere near as meaningful as the UFC belts.