Author Topic: Historian: Obama Abandoning Israel for Muslim World  (Read 976 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Historian: Obama Abandoning Israel for Muslim World
« on: April 11, 2011, 04:25:49 PM »
He's right.

Historian: Obama Abandoning Israel for Muslim World
Monday, 11 Apr 2011 04:56 PM
By Henry J. Reske and Kathleen Walker

President Barack Obama’s shift of American foreign policy away from Israel toward a Muslim world that “hates our guts” is a perilous tack, historian and author Bruce Thornton tells Newsmax.TV. And Obama’s swing away from Israel is “his most disastrous mistake,” Thornton said.

However, Obama is not alone in making mistakes in the Mideast — his pandering to Iran follows in the footsteps of nearly every administration since 1979, said Thornton, author of the new book, “The Wages of Appeasement: Ancient Athens, Munich, and Obama’s America.”

The power shift away from Israel has been going on for decades, said Thornton, a California State University professor.

“George Bush two, he pushed back against that, and I think there were some benefits to that, but that ideal — that some American president is going to step in and going to resolve that long crisis — is absurd,” Thornton said. “What we should realize is that our staunchest ally is Israel, the only functioning democracy in the Middle East, in the heart of a region that hates our guts. And rather than undermining them and asking them to use their citizens as sort of sacrifices for some mythic peace agreement, we should support them to the hilt, and it’s a disastrous move on his part.”

Obama is appeasing Iran, Thornton said, adding, “Let’s be fair, this has been consistently going on since 1979 through presidents of both political parties.”

Thornton contends that Iran declared war on the United States in 1979 when it took U.S. hostages. It also has financed Hezbollah, which was responsible for the attack on the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut that killed more than 200 Marines, and organizations killing Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan, he said.

“So they have been at war with us, but we haven’t responded in kind,” he said. “Instead we have tried various ways, whether Ronald Reagan’s Iran-Contra fiasco or currently today the failed outreach of Barack Obama, not to deal with the fact that this is an aggressor who does not want to get along with us.”

Obama has made the mistake that many Democrats make, treating terrorism as a criminal issue to deal with through investigation and prosecution instead of acknowledging that radical jihadist simply hate the united states, he said.

Thornton alleged that dishonesty surrounds the civil war in Libya, and he blamed all sides for it.

“From the right, too,” he said. “I mean the guys who think there’s a bunch of Tom Jeffersons and Samuel Adams out there in Libya that we need to support because they want to create New England town hall democracy.

“We don’t know who these people are,” he said. “We have chosen sides in a conflict and we don’t know which side we’re supporting. We should have learned from what happened in Egypt in a few short weeks, where it’s becoming clear that those who have empowered by the toppling of Mubarak are the Muslim Brotherhood and the Muslim Brotherhood is jihadist, anti-American, anti-Semitic organization. And I’m not sure it serves our interest.”

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/thornton-obama-israel-bush/2011/04/11/id/392534

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Historian: Obama Abandoning Israel for Muslim World
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:28:04 PM »
then why are they going to support him in the election?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »
Who?  Israel?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:56:28 PM »
Appeasement hasn't worked out too well for Barry.  Hell, it seemed like just moments after we fired off at Libya, we were condemned.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 05:05:58 PM »
yes

Not sure how it's possible for Israel to support Obama in an election. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 05:07:14 PM »
Appeasement hasn't worked out too well for Barry.  Hell, it seemed like just moments after we fired off at Libya, we were condemned.

Nope.  Didn't work out at all.  He learned the hard way that butt-kissing gets you nowhere.  It's just amazing that we ordered strikes on Libya without knowing who the rebels are. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 05:47:42 PM »
Not sure how it's possible for Israel to support Obama in an election.  
have you been watching the recent interviews with netanyahu? The fucking guy is jumping for joy about what's happening right now, of course, without directly saying so.  Personally I think this was a bad time for him to be taking any interviews on the subject in America, but an attention whore will be an attention whore... not much you can do about that.

They'll support Obama, but it will be important for them not to look like they are.  That won't be a problem for them.  If you don't get why they would support Obama when he actually is doing what they want while looking like he's on the muslim world's side, then I don't know what to say.  They're getting more of what they want done under Obama than they would pull off under the typical white republican...

Obama has largely been a complete reversal of everything he stood for or was believed to be.  The left isn't fooled, they have him pegged for what he is.  The right still thinks he's a communist demon not born in America who hates Israel lol...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »
have you been watching the recent interviews with netanyahu? The fucking guy is jumping for joy about what's happening right now, of course, without directly saying so.  Personally I think this was a bad time for him to be taking any interviews on the subject in America, but an attention whore will be an attention whore... not much you can do about that.

They'll support Obama, but it will be important for them not to look like they are.  That won't be a problem for them.  If you don't get why they would support Obama when he actually is doing what they want while looking like he's on the muslim world's side, then I don't know what to say.  They're getting more of what they want done under Obama than they would pull off under the typical white republican...

Obama has largely been a complete reversal of everything he stood for or was believed to be.  The left isn't fooled, they have him pegged for what he is.  The right still thinks he's a communist demon not born in America who hates Israel lol...

Ah so.  I thought you were talking about actual support in the election. 

I'm not sure Obama has done anything to hurt Israel financially, but he has figuratively slapped them in the face by disrespecting their leader when he came to visit and kissing the Muslim world's rear end. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 06:12:34 PM »
I like Jew's, but I hope we quit kissing Israels ass soon.  It's a one way relationship, and it's time we ended it.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 06:19:16 PM »
Ah so.  I thought you were talking about actual support in the election. 

I'm not sure Obama has done anything to hurt Israel financially, but he has figuratively slapped them in the face by disrespecting their leader when he came to visit and kissing the Muslim world's rear end. 
Ever stop to think that might work for Israel and not against them?  especially when the overall results under Obama in the middleast is working toward what Israel might want?  And it might be political poison to have these things going on now with the image of the president being at one with Israel?  yea...  It's not by accident.

we're probably not on the same page and I am guessing what I'm talking about is going to follow through to support in the election for Obama.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »
Ever stop to think that might work for Israel and not against them?  especially when the overall results under Obama in the middleast is working toward what Israel might want?  And it might be political poison to have these things going on now with the image of the president being at one with Israel?  yea...  It's not by accident.

we're probably not on the same page and I am guessing what I'm talking about is going to follow through to support in the election for Obama.   

I don't see how what Obama is doing helps Israel.  In both Egypt and Libya he has likely empowered radical Islamists, who want Israel destroyed. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 06:31:50 PM »

I'm going to take a wild guess, and say this guy won't understand.  

People are going crazy in Church right now talking about how Hussein Obama has abandoned Isreal.  ::)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 06:37:36 PM »
I'm going to take a wild guess, and say this guy won't understand.  

Here we go with the tinfoil hat brigade and their, "We're so smart and informed. We can't bother to explain it but just know that "this" is the case. It's above you so we won't bother. We'll just make vague allusions to some tinfoil hattery." trash.

I don't see how what Obama is doing helps Israel.  In both Egypt and Libya he has likely empowered radical Islamists, who want Israel destroyed. 

Don't worry. Hugo's probably got some obscure CT reference to drop on us.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 06:39:18 PM »
Here we go with the tinfoil hat brigade and their, "We're so smart and informed. We can't bother to explain it but just know that "this" is the case. It's above you so we won't bother. We'll just make vague allusions to some tinfoil hattery." trash.

Don't worry. Hugo's probably got some obscure CT reference to drop on us.

I'm entitled to my own opinion, and it's not my responsibility to educate anyone else. 

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »
I'm entitled to my own opinion, and it's not my responsibility to educate anyone else.  

So you can't explain your point of view? Thanks for playing.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 06:43:24 PM »
So you can't explain yourself? Thanks for playing.

You win jackass, didn't know this was a competition.

Seriously, if you can't see how we're pushing Israeli interests in the region you're blind, or naive.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 06:45:22 PM »
You win jackass, didn't know this was a competition.

Seriously, if you can't see how we're pushing Israeli interests in the region you're blind, or naive.

Wow, you sure educated me! I've listened to and read experts ad nauseum saying otherwise. But let me believe you because you said so!  ::)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 06:46:07 PM »
Wow, you sure educated me! I've listened to and read experts ad nauseum saying otherwise. But let me believe you because you said so!  ::)

I don't give a shit what you believe, you obsessive reject.   :-*

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 06:49:36 PM »
I don't give a shit what you believe, you obsessive reject.   :-*

So you're not actually capable of explaining your point. This is why you tinfoil hatters are running jokes. The majority of your arguments are little more than vague allusions to some sweeping claim laced with copious amounts of elitist condescension. :D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 06:49:52 PM »
Is this even up for debate? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 07:01:57 PM »
In the case of Egypt, that looks to be the case, but that could be a calculated risk and time will tell the rest  It was the opening volley that set public opinion through the cascade now going.  In the case of Libya, both sides hate Israel anyway so that's a mute point.  Even Netanyahu publically supported the action in Libya, which from Israeli interests is fucking stupid to do.  He was cautious in how he said it, but clearly supported it.  What's he gain from it?  I'll tell you what... Democracy...

You're going to hate this, but democracies are easier to control than tyrants.  Sad but true.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
Israel stands to gain nothing from an empowered Muslim Brotherhood, which is where a number of these countries seem to be headed towards. Anyone arguing otherwise is a fool.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »
Israel stands to gain nothing from an empowered Muslim Brotherhood, which is where a number of these countries seem to be headed towards. Anyone arguing otherwise is a fool.
I'm not arguing otherwise, just maybe suggesting things are a bit more complicated than CNN/NBC/Fox tells us,...  Especially, maybe most certainly in the matters we're now talking about.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 07:14:52 PM »
I'm not arguing otherwise, just maybe suggesting things are a bit more complicated than CNN/NBC/Fox tells us,...  Especially, maybe most certainly in the matters we're now talking about.