Author Topic: anyone recommend a whey protein that doesnt give me "the shits" LOL!  (Read 9046 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
sorry to be frank with you all! but no matter what whey protein and post workout drink i used later that day i have the worse diarrhea and stomach bowel movements!

i was using monster milk protein with a small bowl of oatmeal before i worked out and because of the price i switched to 6 stars whey protein with oatmeal and then after workout i've been using myogenik aftershock post workout wild berry drink.

not sure what's causing the "runs" or maybe both products?

i know for sure i'm lactose intolerant, i don't drink milk, but when i do every once in awhile for a bowl of cereal, for instance, hours later, i have the same problem.

so anyway, can anyone recommend products that wont' cause my body to run to the bathroom in the nick of time later on in the day?

Ug

Re: anyone recommend a whey protein that doesnt give me "the shits" LOL!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 06:17:07 PM »
Never had a problem with Optimum whey.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 02:25:08 AM »
Sounds like you're always going to get that irrespective of what protein powder you take in - it's the person, not the product.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:53:56 AM »
If you're lactose intolerant, then most milk-based protein powders will likely cause you problems.
Whey is a derivative of milk (as is casein), and most "post-work" out formulas contain some form of it.

You may wish to find a reasonably-priced egg protein powder; check online distributors.
Or, search for a blend that is not all milk proteins.

Another option to consider is enzymes.
ON and some others include Aminogen in their mixes, or you could also purchase digestive enzymes yourself.
NOW, Jarrow, Vitamin Shoppe, etc. offer decent products for the price.
I would search for one containing the specific enzyme lactase.

I don't know that this will solve all of your GI problems, but it may make them at least more tolerable.

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 08:26:49 AM »
thanks for the reply montague, i'll look into, i know isopure always in their ads in the mags always say their protein has no lactose in them, i think though their kind of pricey? i'll look into the brands you recommend plus isopure.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:12:20 PM »
thanks for the reply montague, i'll look into, i know isopure always in their ads in the mags always say their protein has no lactose in them, i think though their kind of pricey? i'll look into the brands you recommend plus isopure.

Sure.
I still recommend checking online distributors.
Most of even the quality/proven/brand-name powders fetch about $0.03/gram protein, which is a fair average.

You may also wish to check the sites of stores like Vitamin Shoppe & GNC.
They frequently run specials that are advertised as "online only," but certain chains will sometimes match the web specials.
The benefit there is you usually don't have to pay for shipping when buying instore.

There are numerous ways to save money on supplements.
NEVER PAY FULL PRICE.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »
Unless you're uber sensitive to lactose, that may not be the problem.  Maybe it's a poor quality protein (concentrate) or all the other additives  ???  Generally the discomfort from lactose intolerance happens a lot sooner after ingestion.  ie: 30 min - 2 hours
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Unless you're uber sensitive to lactose, that may not be the problem.  Maybe it's a poor quality protein (concentrate) or all the other additives  ???  Generally the discomfort from lactose intolerance happens a lot sooner after ingestion.

That's an interesting and good point.

BTW - have you ever known anyone who is lactose-intolerant, and has countered that issue through the use of lactase or other DE's?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 03:46:59 PM »

That's an interesting and good point.

BTW - have you ever known anyone who is lactose-intolerant, and has countered that issue through the use of lactase or other DE's?

No.  Everyone I know who is LI avoids.  They're also close minded to 'holistic' remedies  ::)
Sometimes I think I'm becoming a little LI, and then discover another ingredient is the culprit  :-X

The current 'episode' of the Dr. Oz show discusses digestive issues.  I missed it, so I don't know what was said.
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »
No.  Everyone I know who is LI avoids.  They're also close minded to 'holistic' remedies  ::)
Sometimes I think I'm becoming a little LI, and then discover another ingredient is the culprit  :-X

I've heard, too, of people developing an allergy to certain foods resulting from over-consumption.
There are many different types of food allergies from which people can experience different symptoms.
Allegedly, many of these types of allergies can be nullified by discontinuing use of the offending food source.

I developed bad gastric upset from corn starch.
I was mixing it with my intra-workout BCAA's, and kept upping the dose.
It finally caught up with me.
It's been a while; I may give it another go because the pumps were rather satisfying.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 04:04:14 PM »
Have you tried drinking semen, son?
G

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »
maybe i should just pay for the more expensive ( higher quality stuff) and yes, i never pay full price for anything, i once read that most people don't know their lactose intolerant and that there is proof that studies have concluded the more "ethnic" you are the LESS you can tolerate dairy. in simple layman's terms, the closer you are skin wise to the color of milk, the more you can handle milk and other dairy.

so if your black, hispanic and other ethniciites you have more or less as a whole population wise trouble with dairy. i'm half german and half mexican ( i know what a combination?! LOL)

go to look into the isopure and other proteins.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »
sorry to be frank with you all! but no matter what whey protein and post workout drink i used later that day i have the worse diarrhea and stomach bowel movements!

i was using monster milk protein with a small bowl of oatmeal before i worked out and because of the price i switched to 6 stars whey protein with oatmeal and then after workout i've been using myogenik aftershock post workout wild berry drink.

not sure what's causing the "runs" or maybe both products?

i know for sure i'm lactose intolerant, i don't drink milk, but when i do every once in awhile for a bowl of cereal, for instance, hours later, i have the same problem.

so anyway, can anyone recommend products that wont' cause my body to run to the bathroom in the nick of time later on in the day?

I am pretty sure that gastro-intestinal problems from protein drinks containing whey are caused by them having lactose. Most adults are intolerant to lactose.Whey protein concentrate also causes some GI problems due to them containing too much Calcium. I suggest Iso-Pure, which is lactose free and contains only isolated whey protein.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Xymantix

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »
Unless you're uber sensitive to lactose, that may not be the problem.  Maybe it's a poor quality protein (concentrate) or all the other additives  ???  Generally the discomfort from lactose intolerance happens a lot sooner after ingestion.  ie: 30 min - 2 hours
Yup, lactose intolerance usually shows up pretty quickly.  Problems digesting the oats, on the other hand, may show up in 4-6 hours.  At least that's my experience, ymmv.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 06:36:01 PM »
Tom, have you tried drinking semen? (Did I already ask that?)
G

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 04:13:50 AM »
I have had the same problem and have been very happy/fortunate with IntraPro by Gaspari.

Something to else to look at....are you using Creatine or perhaps your protein formulas have them? If your body is too saturated with creatine, it will give the runs as well....

bulldozer

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 12:59:37 AM »
Tom, have you tried drinking semen? (Did I already ask that?)
;D