Author Topic: GSP's 1st fight...  (Read 3716 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
GSP's 1st fight...
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:18:02 AM »
w

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: GSP's 1st fight...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »
George is going down !!

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 07:09:37 AM »
I respect GSP's abilities etc, but part of me can't stand the guy.  I feel he's a tad arrogant and over confident.  I'm rooting for Shields. 

That being said, GSP round 5 decision.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:35:42 AM »
I respect GSP's abilities etc, but part of me can't stand the guy.  I feel he's a tad arrogant and over confident.  I'm rooting for Shields. 

The problem I have with GSP is that although he's an accomplished fighter, he always plays it safe.  He needs to show the world that he can beat people at their strengths, not just win by exposing their weaknesses.  He was afraid to stand with Hardy and afraid to take Koscheck to the ground.

I guess we can't be mad that he wants a win at all costs.  That's how he gets paid and stays champ.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:06:48 AM »
The problem I have with GSP is that although he's an accomplished fighter, he always plays it safe.  He needs to show the world that he can beat people at their strengths, not just win by exposing their weaknesses.  He was afraid to stand with Hardy and afraid to take Koscheck to the ground.

I guess we can't be mad that he wants a win at all costs.  That's how he gets paid and stays champ.

You can't fault him for that.  The object is to win.  And he wins by exploiting his opponent's weaknesses.  That said, he has beat people at their own game in the past, like when he out wrestled Koscheck in their 1st fight. 

I think we're going to see a striking clinic against Jake Shields and possibly a finish, much like what we saw against Matt Hughes.  We'll see!   
w

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »
Coltrane-- if you think GSP isn't a humble guy, check out the latest issue of Maxim where they do an article on him.

GSP is one of the most humble, standup guys in the sport and he came from nothing to do it. He's one of the all time greats and doesn't act like it at all imo.

Even if you hate GSP you should be rooting for him against Shields because (a) Sheilds is the most boring fighter in MMA history (b) If GSP wins and Silva beats Okami, its going to be Silva v. GSP

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:49:56 AM »
GSP is definitely a genuinely humble guy.  And you have to admire his approach to the sport.  He is a thinking fighter with an amazing work ethic.  That said, his constant humility does sometime get a bit boring. 
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:09:10 AM »
You can't fault him for that.  The object is to win.  And he wins by exploiting his opponent's weaknesses.  That said, he has beat people at their own game in the past, like when he out wrestled Koscheck in their 1st fight. 

I think we're going to see a striking clinic against Jake Shields and possibly a finish, much like what we saw against Matt Hughes.  We'll see!   

I agree that we can't fault him for playing it safe...a loss in a title fight doesn't make you a champion. GSP's biggest enemy was that loss to Serra.  Since then he has continually played it safe and rightfully so.

As a fan, I guess I expect more excitement in a championship fight/fighter. We are paying to watch him and supporting his salary.  I guess I feel entitled to expect more than boring decisions the majority of the time. 

Overall, GSP is a great representative of the sport and a great champ. I agree that he will destroy Shields standing, but I also fear we will see another Koscheck style fight.  Shields will be barely standing taking everything GSP has until the end of RD5 or doctor stoppage.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:30:07 AM »
Idk.  He seems to be over confident.  There is just something phony about him.  Sometimes I feel the whole humble thing is an act.  Like I said, idk.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »
Idk.  He seems to be over confident.  There is just something phony about him.  Sometimes I feel the whole humble thing is an act.  Like I said, idk.

I get that impression at times as well...but I think regardless of if it's an act or not, his attitude/act is good for the sport.

GSP definitely breaks the stereotypes of the sport.

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 12:37:39 PM »
self assured and confident, most def.  arrogant, prob not.  considering the number of people riding his nut sack, including other fighters, Dana White, fans, etc.,  i think he's kept it together pretty well. 

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 11:27:36 PM »
I agree that we can't fault him for playing it safe...a loss in a title fight doesn't make you a champion. GSP's biggest enemy was that loss to Serra.  Since then he has continually played it safe and rightfully so.

As a fan, I guess I expect more excitement in a championship fight/fighter. We are paying to watch him and supporting his salary.  I guess I feel entitled to expect more than boring decisions the majority of the time. 

Overall, GSP is a great representative of the sport and a great champ. I agree that he will destroy Shields standing, but I also fear we will see another Koscheck style fight.  Shields will be barely standing taking everything GSP has until the end of RD5 or doctor stoppage.
Well then its pretty godamn simple...Dont pay to watch him fight.Youre not entitled to anything as a 'fan'.When i watch a soccer match between 2 top teams and its boring, i dont rant that im entitled to a more entertaining match.Same with boxing, theres been plenty of letdowns in the past, but it is what it is.Sport, not entertainment.If thats your thing go watch WWE ;)

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
Well then its pretty godamn simple...Dont pay to watch him fight.Youre not entitled to anything as a 'fan'.When i watch a soccer match between 2 top teams and its boring, i dont rant that im entitled to a more entertaining match.Same with boxing, theres been plenty of letdowns in the past, but it is what it is.Sport, not entertainment.If thats your thing go watch WWE ;)

So you're telling me that when I pay $60+ to watch him fight, or even more, I'm not entitled to entertainment?

Sports are LIVE entertainment you idiot.  You're right, I don't have to pay to watch GSP and I will tell you I watch his fights purley to see if he can be beat, not to see his skills. 

WWE is SCRIPTED entertainment.  Much like a movie or sitcom.

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 07:38:06 AM »

I agree with this 100%. Pisses me off when people speak about lack of entertainment. Sport is about winning and losing. You want entertainment go watch a movie or a gameshow.

WeightPSHR, i hear you when you talk about paying $60 and not being entertained but first and foremost those fighters should be concerned about whether the give or take a beating and not if the fans had a good time. Of course Dana White might say otherwise  ;D

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 07:52:18 AM »
I agree with this 100%. Pisses me off when people speak about lack of entertainment. Sport is about winning and losing. You want entertainment go watch a movie or a gameshow.

WeightPSHR, i hear you when you talk about paying $60 and not being entertained but first and foremost those fighters should be concerned about whether the give or take a beating and not if the fans had a good time. Of course Dana White might say otherwise  ;D

As a SPECTATOR/FAN, sports are a form of entertainment. I agree that as an athlete, your primary job is to perform first.

Without fans, there would be no paycheck.  There is a certain amount of responsibility that falls on the athlete to entertain the people that PAY to watch them.  If purely winning a fight is enough to keep fans happy, then what else can you ask for.

There is a reason that Brock Lesnar is a bigger draw than GSP, and although GSP is far more talented and experienced as an MMA fighter, he makes far less money.

Why do you think this is?  What makes people so compelled to watch Brock?

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 11:12:26 AM »
As a SPECTATOR/FAN, sports are a form of entertainment. I agree that as an athlete, your primary job is to perform first.

Without fans, there would be no paycheck.  There is a certain amount of responsibility that falls on the athlete to entertain the people that PAY to watch them.  If purely winning a fight is enough to keep fans happy, then what else can you ask for.

There is a reason that Brock Lesnar is a bigger draw than GSP, and although GSP is far more talented and experienced as an MMA fighter, he makes far less money.

Why do you think this is?  What makes people so compelled to watch Brock?

I'm going to disagree with my "gimmick".  I don't think GSP's fights are boring even if he plays it safe and lays on guys without finishing them.  It's not GSP's fault that his opponents can't develop the skills or game plan to fend off the take downs and/or figure out how to get back up after they get taken down.  I blame his opposition for the "boring" fights, not GSP. 
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 12:22:03 PM »
I'm going to disagree with my "gimmick".  I don't think GSP's fights are boring even if he plays it safe and lays on guys without finishing them.  It's not GSP's fault that his opponents can't develop the skills or game plan to fend off the take downs and/or figure out how to get back up after they get taken down.  I blame his opposition for the "boring" fights, not GSP. 

LOL@ gimmicks disagreeing. What will their excuses be now?

For the sake of debate, if GSP is so far ahead of his competition, why doesn't he push for the finish?

I think that if there is one weakness in GSP's game, he is absolutely terrified of losing. Nobody wants to lose, but I think GSP's fear of losing is so great, that if ever someone takes him off his game plan, he's psychologically doomed.  He's even stated himself that the loss to Serra changed him.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 12:28:34 PM »
If I chirped in right now, there would certainly be an issue.  Three "gimmicks" debating in the same thread?!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 02:31:40 PM »
LOL@ gimmicks disagreeing. What will their excuses be now?

For the sake of debate, if GSP is so far ahead of his competition, why doesn't he push for the finish?

I think that if there is one weakness in GSP's game, he is absolutely terrified of losing. Nobody wants to lose, but I think GSP's fear of losing is so great, that if ever someone takes him off his game plan, he's psychologically doomed.  He's even stated himself that the loss to Serra changed him.

I think he does try for the finish.  Watch the Hardy fight.  It looked like he was trying to break Hardy's arm in the arm bar.  And the Kos fight should have been stopped.  They guy had a serious orbital lobe fracture as a result of being punched in the face for 5 straight rounds.  The problem is that he is fighting the top guys in arguably the toughest weight class in the UFC.  Easier said than done.
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 03:09:09 PM »
I think he does try for the finish.  Watch the Hardy fight.  It looked like he was trying to break Hardy's arm in the arm bar.  And the Kos fight should have been stopped.  They guy had a serious orbital lobe fracture as a result of being punched in the face for 5 straight rounds.  The problem is that he is fighting the top guys in arguably the toughest weight class in the UFC.  Easier said than done.

The submission attempt in the Hardy fight was in round one.  GSP spent the next 4 rounds controlling Hardy on the ground.  We all know that Hardy has a limited ground game and the fact that GSP did nothing but control Hardy is what I'm getting at. I feel that GSP could have done more on the ground to finish the fight, but that's not safe and comfortable for GSP.

Same with the Koscheck fight.  Koscheck's eye was shut after round 1 and GSP spent the next 4 rounds coasting to victory in a safe manner.

I do agree though, even if he's coasting to easy victories and playing it safe, the fact that his skills are that much better than everyone else and allowing him these easy victories is remarkable.

There is no denying it, GSP is an amazing fighter, it's just frustrating to know that we aren't even seeing all his skills.