Author Topic: Obama to Texas Reporter: 'Let Me Finish My Answers Next Time'  (Read 4374 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
I haven't seen the clip, but it sounds like he wasn't acting very presidential.  Why would he get irritated over tough questions? 

Obama to Texas Reporter: 'Let Me Finish My Answers Next Time'

Published April 19, 2011
FoxNews.com

FILE - In this President Barack Obama outlines his fiscal policy during an address at George Washington University in Washington. Obama said in April that he wants to do away with tax breaks to lower the rates and to reduce government borrowing. His proposal would result in $1 trillion in tax increases over the next 12 years. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak, File)

When President Obama speaks, don't interrupt.

That's what the president told a Texas reporter after a brief but contentious interview in which he was challenged about his unpopularity in the state.

"Let me finish my answers next time we do an interview, all right?" he told WFAA News 8 reporter Brad Watson.

During the interview, one of four that Obama held with Texas media in the White House on Monday, the president argued that even though the Lone Star state was historically Republican, his election meant that the politics there was changing.

"We lost by a few percentage points in Texas," Obama said. But Watson corrected the president, saying that he lost by 11 percentage points to Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

"If what you're telling me is Texas is a conservative state, you're absolutely right," he said.

The president also disputed the notion held by some Houston Republicans and Democrats that his administration skipped the city to award retired space shuttle orbiters to states that would play a key role in his re-election bid.

"That's wrong," Obama said.

When Watson pressed him further, Obama replied testily, "I just said that was wrong. We had nothing to do with it. The White House had nothing to do with. There was a whole commission, a whole process. That's how the decision was made."

Asked if he was personally involved in the decision, the president said, "I just said that wasn't true."

Obama also said he has not ruled out campaigning in Texas for re-election. "I never write off any states," he said, prompting Watson to ask, "You're not going to write it off?"

"I never write off states and I love Texas," the president said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/19/obama-texas-reporter-let-finish-answers-time/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Obama to Texas Reporter: 'Let Me Finish My Answers Next Time'
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:34:53 PM »
Obama is like a third world mut.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 02:37:08 PM »
That's fine but I don't think I have ever actually heard Obama answer a question. He usually rambles on for 5 minutes and says nothing. Maybe he is hopping who ever asked the question will be blown away by his awesomeness and forget what they asked
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »

And people question this man's arrogance??   ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »
That seemed like an easy interview to me.  Obama is a pussy and bitch.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 04:27:01 PM »
He's black. Therefore, he shouldn't have to answer any questions about anything. Questioning him is like supporting slavery.

Freeborn126

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 04:29:49 PM »
HOW DARE THAT WRETCHED PEASANT INTERRUPT THE GREAT OBAMA MESSIAH!!!  HE IS SO INTELLIGENT, TEXANS AREN'T SMART ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND HIM! 
Live free or die

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:48:38 PM »
I do think that interrupting someone is just rude.

If he is talking, you should let him finish... He is the President of the United States of America after all.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:00:58 PM »
I do think that interrupting someone is just rude.

If he is talking, you should let him finish... He is the President of the United States of America after all.

Did you watch the clip?  The interviewer wasn't rude at all IMO. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 05:05:18 PM »
I really didn't see where he was rude.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »
Did you watch the clip?  The interviewer wasn't rude at all IMO.  
What clip? I didn't see it in the article... so no.

Was he in the process of responding to something? If so, well, it's kinda' rude to interrupt someone.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »

Was he in the process of responding to something? If so, well, it's kinda' rude to interrupt someone.

Fourth post down in this thread. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 06:54:38 PM »

watch the clip tu, there was nothing rude about that interview at all

fuking ridiculous...

this is why this jackass is only good at giving speaches

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 06:56:54 PM »
No questioning of the messiah is ever allowed. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 06:59:31 PM »
I really didn't see where he was rude.

my thoughts exactly

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 07:03:27 PM »
I was talking about the reporter.  Obama seemed like a prick.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 07:13:10 PM »
Ill put 20 bucks up against anyone that obama doesnt do any campaigning here in Texas...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »
watch the clip tu, there was nothing rude about that interview at all

fuking ridiculous...

this is why this jackass is only good at giving speaches

He clearly felt threatened by some pretty straight forward questions.  He didn't like having his false facts corrected. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 07:22:24 PM »
He clearly felt threatened by some pretty straight forward questions.  He didn't like having his false facts corrected. 
I agree, the interview seemed to change tones at around that point

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 07:25:27 PM »
Meh, seems like trivial nit picking against Obama.  The clip is edited so the reporter may have been interupting and it's not uncommon - they interupt all the time.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 08:14:46 PM »
Skip, do you remember the time that President Obongo said that Republicans had to "sit in the back of the bus"?

He meant you too buddy.

Elections have consequences. So, effective immediately, all whites using public transportation will be forced to vacate their seats to blacks under threat of physical violence. I am aware that this practice typically happens anyway, but now it is the law of the land.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 08:25:24 PM »
He's black. Therefore, he shouldn't have to answer any questions about anything. Questioning him is like supporting slavery.

I love it when you bring up race..it shows how obsessed you are about it..keep up the good work ;D

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 08:31:56 PM »
I love it when you bring up race..it shows how obsessed you are about it..keep up the good work ;D

I'm just making sure that our President gets the respect he deserves. You should do the same. It is the duty of every American to respect our Supreme leader. Peace be upon him.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 04:05:32 AM »
Nobody interrupts POTUS
The outburst heard 'round the world
By ABBY PHILLIP | 04/19/11 1:10 PM Updated: 04/19/11 4:17 PM
www.politco.com

Drudge Report broadcasted word of the interview on their website's banner spot. | POLITICO Screengrab Close When the even-keeled and cool President Obama gets prickly in public, it never goes unnoticed.

For Obama, who has carefully cultivated a reputation of easily managing confrontations with people who disagree with him, these moments are as rare as they are revealing of the person behind the presidency.

So it’s no surprise that Washington took notice when after a tense interview with a Texas TV reporter on Monday, Obama unclipped his microphone with no smile in sight, and tersely warned, “Let me finish my answers next time we do an interview, all right?”

The president of the United States was not happy. Obama had been corrected (he lost Texas by 12 points, not “a few,” in 2008), he was accused of punishing the state for political reasons (he denied that the White House had any part in the decision not to award a space shuttle to Houston), and he was challenged with the most basic of political questions: Why are you so unpopular in Texas?

And all that in a setting the White House anticipated would be largely free of tricky questions.

The conservative media type Matt Drudge broadcasted word of the interview on his website’s banner spot with the headline “First time: Reporter turns aggressive with Obama,” accompanied by the image of Obama, mid-reprimand.

On Twitter on Tuesday morning, White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer took the bait by responding to the interview, which had been bouncing around the beltway echo chamber for hours.

The White House often expects the toughest questions from reporters outside of Washington, not the easiest, Pfeiffer tweeted.

The problem: The reporter’s questions weren’t particularly difficult, but they were clearly not what Obama was expecting. The result was a viral video that depicted Obama as angry when faced with tough questioning. And it unveiled some of the degree to which the White House would like to control its message.

Pfeiffer was asked by Time reporter Michael Scherer, “So will WFAA's Brad Watson get another interview one day?”

Instead of quickly taking the high road, Pfeiffer suggested that Watson may truly be out in the cold after irritating the president. And he did it by revealing yet another trick of Washington communications: playing one news outlet against its rival.

“Right around the time we do our next interview with @TIME. I am kidding ... or am I. @Newsweek is on the other line,” Pfeiffer responded.

It wasn’t the first time Obama has gotten a bit of bravado from local reporters who are granted a rare 7-minute one-on-one with him.

In March, just hours before Obama announced the attack on Libya, Philadelphia news reporter Jim Gardner was warned by Obama’s aides that he wouldn’t be taking any questions on that subject. Gardner asked anyway.

“I think as was already mentioned to you, I’m not going to comment beyond the statement that I made today,” Obama responded flatly.

That interview, which aired late on a Friday night, was buried beneath the news that Obama had ordered the strike. The White House had dodged another slew of potential headlines declaring that Obama had evaded a request to clarify the mission in Libya, but just barely.

There’s no question that there are significant upsides to the White House arranging local sit-downs. Among other reasons, the interviews shoot instantly to the top of local evening and nightly broadcasts in key battleground states like Florida, Philadelphia and, apparently, Texas. And outside the beltway, reporters might ask focused questions that give Obama a chance to circumvent the national narrative and pitch the local impact of his policies.

But Obama’s latest interview indicates at least some of the potential downsides. Obama’s prickly response to Watson’s questioning not only made the local news, but it suddenly became the national news as well.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 05:34:27 AM »
Well, during his entire presidential campaign he really didn't have to answer any tough questions b/c the vast majority of the media didn't ask them or refused to ask them or called anyone who asked them a racist or whatnot. He's had the media run plenty of cover for him....just watch really any interview with the Corporate Media, they will ask a question, Obama will give some rambling answer that does nothing to answer the actual question, he will duck, dodge, dive, divert and dodge and the interviewer will never follow up. It's pathetic.

That's why I found the Jeremaiah Wright "controversy" to be even more pathetic. Obama is probably not very religious, in Chicago or any urban area if you want to be a politician (thus not wanting a real job) you go to the church(s) and make your inroads. That's probably what he was doing...not many mentioned that so we got the "Pastor Wright" EXPLOSIVE STORY! which helped drown out and box out any real information, questions or analysis of Obama....who probably wasn't listening to Wright anyways.

Sad.