Author Topic: Donald trumped on abortion question  (Read 705 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Donald trumped on abortion question
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:51:40 PM »
is this opinion piece correct?  Does Trump look pretty confused on this?

Did you catch this from Savannah Guthrie's interview with Trump?:

Guthrie: “Is there a right to privacy in the Constitution?”

Trump: “I guess there is, I guess there is. And why, just out of curiosity, why do you ask that question?”

When pressed to explain how his position on the right to privacy “squares” with his anti-abortion position, Trump responded: “Well, that’s a pretty strange way of getting to pro-life. I mean, it’s a very unique way of asking about pro-life. What does that have to do with privacy? How are you equating pro-life with privacy? ”

Guthrie asked, “well, you know about the Roe v. Wade decision.” Trump responded, “yes, right, sure. Look, I am pro-life. I’ve said it. I’m very strong there.”

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/19/6495853...
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=433x656669

Not to mention he was pro-choice 'til he started running as a Birther, and now we discover he doesn't even know what "the right to privacy," which he "guesses" he believes is in the Constitution, has to do with Roe v. Wade?! And last week we discovered he doesn't even know how many people make up the House of Representatives! What a joke!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Donald trumped on abortion question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:02:39 PM »
Poof!   :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:06:34 PM »
Poof!   :)

???  BB, you know the abortion issue better than most here, and certainly better than me.  Does this comment sink trump with pro-life voters?

What Does Privacy Have To Do With Abortion?
In his lengthy interview with NBC's Savannah Guthrie, Donald Trump appeared stumped when asked about the legal principle that served as the cornerstone for the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion. Here's the key part of the interview:

Guthrie: "Is there a right to privacy in the Constitution?"

Trump: "I guess there is, I guess there is. And why, just out of curiosity, why do you ask that question?"

When pressed to explain how his position on the right to privacy "squares" with his anti-abortion position, Trump responded: "Well, that's a pretty strange way of getting to pro-life. I mean, it's a very unique way of asking about pro-life. What does that have to do with privacy? How are you equating pro-life with privacy? "

Guthrie asked, "well, you know about the Roe v. Wade decision." Trump responded, "yes, right, sure. Look, I am pro-life. I've said it. I'm very strong there."

The exchange was reminiscent of former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin's response to a similar question during the 2008 presidential campaign. In one of a series of interviews with CBS News' Katie Couric that were widely seen as damaging to Palin's image, the vice presidential nominee was asked: "Do you think there's an inherent right to privacy in the Constitution?" Palin responded, "I do. Yeah, I do."

Given that the Supreme Court used the "right to privacy" reasoning as the foundation for the Roe ruling, anti-abortion activists and candidates have long insisted no such right exists.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:07:14 PM »
dont know dont care, apparently in your opinion its what they think now right?

i mean you dismissed obamas signing the hand gun ban, saying it was 10 years ago

you dismissed his call for universal health care saying it was years ago...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:09:20 PM »
dont know dont care, apparently in your opinion its what they think now right?
i mean you dismissed obamas signing the hand gun ban, saying it was 10 years ago
you dismissed his call for universal health care saying it was years ago...

obama promised univ healthcare (which i opposed) and he delivered it - fail.
obama hasn't gone after gun rights in 2 years - that's a good thing.

I don't follow abortion much, but I am very interested in the 2012 GOp race.  I have to wonder if trump would stay higher in polls by just not answering Qs...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:11:14 PM »
???  BB, you know the abortion issue better than most here, and certainly better than me.  Does this comment sink trump with pro-life voters?

What Does Privacy Have To Do With Abortion?
In his lengthy interview with NBC's Savannah Guthrie, Donald Trump appeared stumped when asked about the legal principle that served as the cornerstone for the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion. Here's the key part of the interview:

Guthrie: "Is there a right to privacy in the Constitution?"

Trump: "I guess there is, I guess there is. And why, just out of curiosity, why do you ask that question?"

When pressed to explain how his position on the right to privacy "squares" with his anti-abortion position, Trump responded: "Well, that's a pretty strange way of getting to pro-life. I mean, it's a very unique way of asking about pro-life. What does that have to do with privacy? How are you equating pro-life with privacy? "

Guthrie asked, "well, you know about the Roe v. Wade decision." Trump responded, "yes, right, sure. Look, I am pro-life. I've said it. I'm very strong there."

The exchange was reminiscent of former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin's response to a similar question during the 2008 presidential campaign. In one of a series of interviews with CBS News' Katie Couric that were widely seen as damaging to Palin's image, the vice presidential nominee was asked: "Do you think there's an inherent right to privacy in the Constitution?" Palin responded, "I do. Yeah, I do."

Given that the Supreme Court used the "right to privacy" reasoning as the foundation for the Roe ruling, anti-abortion activists and candidates have long insisted no such right exists.

I don't know the abortion issue any better than the next average Joe.  I do not care about this.  It's a dumb issue.  More "gotcha" questions that will be asked of Republican candidates.  

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:19:55 PM »
obama promised univ healthcare (which i opposed) and he delivered it - fail.
obama hasn't gone after gun rights in 2 years - that's a good thing.

I don't follow abortion much, but I am very interested in the 2012 GOp race.  I have to wonder if trump would stay higher in polls by just not answering Qs...
well seeing as trump isnt in any position to alter legislation why worry about this when you didnt worry about what obama did prior to his presidential run?

yes he would poll better if he kept his mouth shut but its donald freaking trump!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 03:06:25 AM »
240 is doing what is plainly obvious. We all know it.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 05:09:24 AM »
I don't think Trump's response would sink him with anti-abortion voters. However, I think he should have steered the conversation into a different direction. I mean, he should have known automatically why he was being asked that, and then said something similar to "abortion isn't about privacy rights, it's about preventing another human from living" etc etc. The same goes with Palin. They both should have recognized the reason for the question, and turned it around to steer clear of the right to privacy claim.

And no, the right to privacy is not in the constitution.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 05:13:06 AM »
I don't think Trump's response would sink him with anti-abortion voters. However, I think he should have steered the conversation into a different direction. I mean, he should have known automatically why he was being asked that, and then said something similar to "abortion isn't about privacy rights, it's about preventing another human being from living" etc etc. The same goes with Palin. They both should have recognized the reason for the question, and turned it around to steer clear of the right to privacy claim.

And no, the right to privacy is not in the constitution.

Correct- its not in the literal language, but has been interpreted as being part of the "penumbra" of rights in the BOR.

But don't tell that to thos who are clueless on this subject.       

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 09:44:54 AM »
well seeing as trump isnt in any position to alter legislation

In a year, Trump may very much be in a position of power to alter legislation.

"I'm totally pro-choice," he told Fox News on October 31, 1999. "I want to see the abortion issue removed from politics," he told reporters on December 1, 1999, adding, "I believe it is a personal decision that should be left to the women and their doctors."

OR

"I'm pro-life," he proclaimed in his CPAC speech on February 10. “I’m pro-life. I think that's a big social issue," he told Fox News' Greta Van Susteren on Monday.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2011/02/trump_through_the_years_1.html