Author Topic: Half reppin' (partial) or full rep for bench?  (Read 8328 times)

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
Re: Half reppin' (partial) or full rep for bench?
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 03:28:40 AM »
I stick to incline Smith machine, incline dumbbell presses and dumbbell flies. I'm throwing in a decline movement maybe once a month instead of an incline press just to mix things up (mostly in the conducted rack).

No barbell benchpress in years. Stupid exercise only for ego, but not for building teh muscle.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 07:24:01 AM »
Wow Nubret was incredible. Should of gotten way more attention back then..

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 07:56:54 AM »
I stick to incline Smith machine, incline dumbbell presses and dumbbell flies. I'm throwing in a decline movement maybe once a month instead of an incline press just to mix things up (mostly in the conducted rack).

No barbell benchpress in years. Stupid exercise only for ego, but not for building teh muscle.
injured my pec doing heavy delcine db presses
choice is an illusion

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 08:57:27 AM »
Full range.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 07:50:21 PM »
Enjoy joint problems like all the other guys who did full reps when you get older.

I'm 30 and have been lifting for 15 years but I'll keep you updated ::)

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 08:00:13 PM »

old guy disagrees

Ask Dave Palumbo, Jim Quinn, etc how their joints are. They were all big full range of motion guys. You can't lock out and put 400lbs of pressure on a joint. It just isn't safe. All you have to do is stimulate the muscle. That partial rep partial development saying is total BS. Now if you are lifting LIGHT weight then full range is probably necessary because it requires more concentration to actually get anything out of it.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 08:42:20 PM »
Ask Dave Palumbo, Jim Quinn, etc how their joints are. They were all big full range of motion guys. You can't lock out and put 400lbs of pressure on a joint. It just isn't safe. All you have to do is stimulate the muscle. That partial rep partial development saying is total BS. Now if you are lifting LIGHT weight then full range is probably necessary because it requires more concentration to actually get anything out of it.

I think partial reps get a bad rap because most guys use them the wrong way.
They eliminate the hardest part of the ROM to make the movement easier & allowing them to use more weight for their egos.

But, if you use partial reps in a way that limits the rep by confining it to the hardest portion of the movement, then you’ve just improved the time under tension for that muscle.

This method is not the best for building strength or functional muscle, but in terms of hypertrophy, it’s very effective because muscles LOVE constant tension.
That’s why it can be beneficial to cut out the parts of the rep where stress is transferred away from the targeted muscle and shifted either to ancillary muscles, joints, or gravity, etc.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 12:47:24 AM »

Why you have to go for 400lb, if you can stimulate your muscle with 200lb by doing it right? If you look those old school bodybuilders like Arnold, Nubret etc. who have excellent pecks, wouldn't you ever wonder why modern bodybuilders has not? Modern way of training= all half rep, big weights, machines and more drugs. Have you ever see anybody doing wide grip bench, meaning that you hands are as wide as you can hold the barbell? That was one of the basic exercises back then, but not anymore. Dips for chest? Full range flyes? Now days it is all bench, heavy load, partial reps. There was one of the our first pro builders in my gym back in the 1990, and some one ask him, why he uses so moderate weights while he is doing bench? He take his shirt off and show his show his chest, and ask "who else you have seen chest like this? It isn't about the weight, it is how you bench to get you muscles grow." And that is true, if you bench like a power lifter, your can't have chest like bodybuilder..

How many of you guys bench flat bench with your back flat on the bench? Most common way of benching what I have seen is arch your back until your shoulders and back of your thighs are only parts on your body touching the bench, like power lifters do while trying one rep max. You do it because you want to lift heavy, not because it will make your muscles bigger. With that posture, you take the pressure away from your chest and move it to the supporting muscles, you are cutting the ROM as short as possible to make the lift as easy as possible. How all this will help you to add mass to your pecks? Well, it doesn't, meaning there is far better way to do it.

You have to arc your back, but only little bit. You have to pull your shoulder plates together, and when you are ready, start your set. You lower the barbell slowly until it touches highest point of your rib cage, and then you press it up as fast as you can by tightening your pecks. At this point you have to concentrate to do your reps by one by one, not a set of x reps. You choose a weight which you can do 8 reps and your goal is to do 12 singles without any rest on between them.  2 set like this, then take some weight of and then 3 sets of x reps with flowing motion to the failure to maximize the pump. Same for the incline. If you don't feel the positive difference to your original method, skip this shit and keep on going. Point is that you have to use the weights which you are capable to handle with full ROM, so if you have already ruined your joints by seeking the best ORM, you are fucked.