Author Topic: Half reppin' (partial) or full rep for bench?  (Read 8333 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Half reppin' (partial) or full rep for bench?
« on: April 21, 2011, 04:24:06 PM »
What is your stance? Some say you get a better contraction with a half rep (partial) than with a full rep, the movement is best in the first half, and energy is wasted for the second half. Others say, that one is just "half steppin" when not performing the full rep...
Is it a matter of opinion, and what are your results?

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
Re: Half reppin' or full rep for bench?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »
i wouldn't mess with the bench press with phil heath's chest, havent done it in yrs.  i agree with chick on the bench.  why tear a pec if you have nothing on the line?  machines work well. 

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 04:30:29 PM »
i wouldn't mess with the bench press with phil heath's chest, havent done it in yrs.  i agree with chick on the bench.  why tear a pec if you have nothing on the line?  machines work well. 
On Phil's first vid, his incline press angle is set so high, it looks like a delt movement...in fact, I think he probably did get more of delt workout, and could be partially a reason why his chest lacks fullness.   

Aerian

• Getbig IV
  • "Yumm yumm give me some"
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 04:34:14 PM »
anytime i do chest work, i tend to favor full movements over partial reps, other then towards end of the set to get a few extra reps out.  I feel full range of motion > half reps.  Just fries the muscle a bit more imo.

Also, i feel when i do full reps on bench, it helps build my tris more since they are being involved at the top part and rarely on Tricep days will i get the ability to use as much weight as i do when benching, so it adds a bit more fullness.
Wait for it....

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Half reppin' (partial) or full rep for bench?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:40:46 PM »
Full ROM on everything I do unless I intentionally add partial reps at the end of a set to extend the set.

I see so many lame fucks these days using big weight but the reps are no fucking good in my book.

Asked a guy one time what he squatted,he sais 515 for 5 reps........watched him squat and he barely bent his knees..............fucki ng pussy.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »
Why would you have to tear a pec?  Couldn`t you go to near failure with a reasonable amount of weight instead of trying to do too much?

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »
Full ROM on everything I do unless I intentionally add partial reps at the end of a set to extend the set.

I see so many lame fucks these days using big weight but the reps are no fucking good in my book.

Asked a guy one time what he squatted,he sais 515 for 5 reps........watched him squat and he barely bent his knees..............fucki ng pussy.

He was using the Weider Cheat Principle

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 04:52:42 PM »
Really depends how long your arms are. I screwed up both rotators royally from bottoming out on them, so now I only go 3/4 down if I ever do them. Funny how the short arm barrel chested dudes are usually the ones you see doing partials even though they dont really need to worry about injury as much. And I see alot of long arm benchers doing full reps, putting their humerus way past parallel. Never though looking out had much of a purpose either, except for close grips of course..

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
He was using the Weider Cheat Principle
In a big big way!!  :)

Cheating himself from making progress.

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 05:06:45 PM »
Bullshit... cheat on every exercise but you have to know how to cheat correctly. As long as you are getting the optimal contraction why do additional rep range? You just risk injury. Always partial rep your bench but keep it from chest to about 6-7 inches up.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »
I do full reps on bench because anything else looks ridiculous.

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 05:11:59 PM »
I do full reps on bench because anything else looks ridiculous.

Yeah... that looks ridiculous  ::). Also by short stroking weight you keep the pressure on the muscle and off the joints. I actually lock out and do full reps when i get tired.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 05:16:23 PM »

Yeah... that looks ridiculous  ::). Also by short stroking weight you keep the pressure on the muscle and off the joints. I actually lock out and do full reps when i get tired.

Yeah actually it does.

Ronnie is on enough hormones to kill a horse and can do whatever he wants and gain.  All this shit about "durr optimal contraction hurr durr keep the pressure off the joints urf durf durf" is just bro-science nonsense.

Aerian

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »

Yep, i fully agree
Wait for it....

Aerian

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 05:23:24 PM »
Yeah actually it does.

Ronnie is on enough hormones to kill a horse and can do whatever he wants and gain.  All this shit about "durr optimal contraction hurr durr keep the pressure off the joints urf durf durf" is just bro-science nonsense.

I agree as well.  Unless you are training to be a body builder where you 100% must only stimulate one muscle group (like Leafy) then i can somewhat see that doing partials might have a benefit, but for most guys who are simply working out to get a bit bigger and stay in shape, full range of motion = far better long term results.

imo
Wait for it....

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 05:44:45 PM »
Yeah actually it does.

Enjoy joint problems like all the other guys who did full reps when you get older.

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 06:53:47 PM »
Enjoy joint problems like all the other guys who did full reps when you get older.
"Older" is a relative term
U

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 06:57:44 PM »
"Older" is a relative term

Old in training years, obviously.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 07:29:17 PM »
Pros do partial quarter reps
L

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 07:37:29 PM »
full range,full development!

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 12:32:52 AM »

So true, I see that all the time. People doesn't understand that there is a big difference how to stimulate muscles while you are on drugs and how to do it if you not on drugs. If you are on drugs, it really doesn't matter how you stimulate your muscles, and they grow, because that's why you take the fucking GH. You grow even without any stimulation, and that is scientific fact, because that is how GH works. On the other hand, if you doesn't use any drugs, it is whole new ballgame. Now you have to know how to stimulate your muscles and how to do it right to gain anything from your workouts. Now it make big difference how you do your reps and what you gain from it. Best possible ROM for every muscle is from the relaxed position to the full concentrated position, and everything shorter than that is fooling yourself.  If your shoulder, knee etc. can't do it, use lighter weight until you learn to do it properly. If you use full ROM, you gain strength faster than you ever can imagine. If you use short range of motion, you gain just courage to put more load on the muscle, but when load goes up, the ROM goes down, and only what you really gain is even bigger ego. You ego-trainers should understand that your co- trainers and other people see just what you are, not what you think you are. If there is some bozo in the gym who uses enormous weights, let say 2000lb for example on the leg press, but do just 3" range of motion, do you think that he is strong, or that he is an idiot? He has different picture about him selves, than you can see outside, he think he is strongest man in the universe, but bystanders see only a stupid guy who can't train properly...  

Xerxes

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 12:50:35 AM »

full range,full development!

old guy disagrees

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 12:52:16 AM »
Full reps, just short of lock out,

10 reps, upwards of 40 sets.

You'll have a chest like Mr genetics

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 03:00:16 AM »

Yeah... that looks ridiculous  ::). Also by short stroking weight you keep the pressure on the muscle and off the joints. I actually lock out and do full reps when i get tired.

200% correct ...
I don't half rep I do 80% rom on bench
It's 100% harder not locking out anyone who doubts this
Try no locking out with your 3 rep max
Locking out for me = rest
So once I get to 405+
I HAVE TO LOCK OUT!
choice is an illusion