Author Topic: "The Passion of the Christ" movie  (Read 2135 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
"The Passion of the Christ" movie
« on: April 25, 2011, 06:53:28 AM »
Watched it again yesterday (watched it once around when it first came out).

While watching we had some questions so I googled as we watched and was interested to see the person that played the devil was a woman, but after reading that I could see it.

What's Up With the Ugly Baby?
Everyone's asking about the Passion scene where Satan is carrying a hideous infant.
www.christianitytoday.co m
by Mark Moring

"Please explain the symbolism in the scene showing Satan holding a bald baby. Thank you."

That's just one of dozens of e-mails we've received in the last few days, asking about a surreal scene in The Passion of The Christ where Satan is shown cradling a hideous baby who looks like he's about 40 years old.

The scene occurs during the flogging of Christ. Satan is passing through a crowd of onlookers, cradling an infant in his arms. The baby turns to face the camera, revealing a sinister infant, creeping out audiences everywhere.

We took your questions straight to the source, e-mailing Mel Gibson's publicist for an answer.

When asked why he portrayed Satan—an androgynous, almost beautiful being played by Rosalinda Celentano—the way he did, Gibson replied: "I believe the Devil is real, but I don't believe he shows up too often with horns and smoke and a forked tail. The devil is smarter than that. Evil is alluring, attractive. It looks almost normal, almost good—but not quite.

"That's what I tried to do with the Devil in the film. The actor's face is symmetric, beautiful in a certain sense, but not completely. For example, we shaved her eyebrows. Then we shot her almost in slow motion so you don't see her blink—that's not normal. We dubbed in a man's voice in Gethsemane even though the actor is a woman … That's what evil is about, taking something that's good and twisting it a little bit."

But what about the ugly baby?

"Again," said Gibson, "it's evil distorting what's good. What is more tender and beautiful than a mother and a child? So the Devil takes that and distorts it just a little bit. Instead of a normal mother and child you have an androgynous figure holding a 40-year-old 'baby' with hair on his back. It is weird, it is shocking, it's almost too much—just like turning Jesus over to continue scourging him on his chest is shocking and almost too much, which is the exact moment when this appearance of the Devil and the baby takes place."

R

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: "The Passion of the Christ" movie
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 06:58:19 AM »
I wanted to like this movie, but all the non-Biblical, Roman Catholic symbolism ruined it for me.  And why would Satan be a woman when in the Bible, every time angels assume human form, they always assume the male human form.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:59:56 AM »
I wanted to like this movie, but all the non-Biblical, Roman Catholic symbolism ruined it for me. 

I felt like this more the first time I saw it.  I think I was able to ignore it more this time.

And why would Satan be a woman when in the Bible, every time angels assume human form, they always assume the male human form.

A woman played the part...but looked androgynous...the meaning behind he doesn't show up going "Hey, I'm the devil!" imo...and can present himself however...even as an angel of light.  They could have had an androgynous guy play him too I think.  I thought it was a guy until I read it was a woman.
R

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »
I felt like this more the first time I saw it.  I think I was able to ignore it more this time.

A woman played the part...but looked androgynous...the meaning behind he doesn't show up going "Hey, I'm the devil!" imo...and can present himself however...even as an angel of light.  They could have had an androgynous guy play him too I think.  I thought it was a guy until I read it was a woman.

Or maybe it was just Mel Gibson's thoughts coming out in his movie:  "Jews = Women = Evil"     ;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 11:22:06 AM »
Or maybe it was just Mel Gibson's thoughts coming out in his movie:  "Jews = Women = Evil"     ;D

I don't think he thought women were evil until recently :P
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Mel should be up for sainthood.  he rocks

I saw this movie, it was a botleg copy before it hit theaters...is that bad?

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:57:32 PM »
So many peoples BELIEVES/FAITH comes from watchin " Religious themed" movies. Watch The Exorcist a few times, and people get scared into RELIGION. Thats one way WORLDLY/ORGANIZED RELIGION scares people into RELIGION. I myself sometimes watch Religious themed movies, shows, etc.......BUT make sure i dont fall into that " scare tactic" believe from the movies.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 10:16:45 PM »
They should have got the kid from the Toyota commercials to play the devil.  I hate that little punk.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 06:18:15 PM »
  Saw it over Easter weekend on one of the Christian channels. Excellent movie.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 11:25:10 PM »
I think Mel needs to recut Passion with an additional 45 minutes of torturing Chriist, I don't think the full hour and a half of torture was enough

</sarcasm>