Author Topic: CM Punk and his future  (Read 6758 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
CM Punk and his future
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:07:55 AM »
PWInsider:

CM Punk has been offered a new long-term WWE contract, but at this time he has not signed and could be leaving the company when his current contract expire sin a few months. There has been talk about the possibility for some time, but during the European tour, discussion of Punk's exit heated up. As mentioned, Punk has not signed the new offer, citing "burnout with being on the road for years and unhappiness with his position in the company over the last year." A WWE office source had the following to say on the situation…

"When you look at how the company brands it's characters, Punk is never among the top 5-8 names that are promoted or pushed. It's Cena, Orton, Miz, Undertaker, Rey, now Alberto, etc. these days and Punk is sort of floating right under there. He didn't fit into the youth drive a few months back but he's not treated like a top veteran either. He's just there, doing his job and while everyone knows he delivers, he's never really treated like someone who does. He's never dropped the ball but we don't give it to him really, either. He's treated like a guy, but not THE guy. For a driven guy like him who's made wrestling his entire world, it's got to drive him crazy. Now, the excuse will be don't push Punk because he might be leaving, but the reality is the environment and situation is what is probably making him want to leave to begin with. Either it gets fixed or it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, just like it did when Batista walked out."

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: CM Punk and his future
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:38:29 AM »
PWInsider:

CM Punk has been offered a new long-term WWE contract, but at this time he has not signed and could be leaving the company when his current contract expire sin a few months. There has been talk about the possibility for some time, but during the European tour, discussion of Punk's exit heated up. As mentioned, Punk has not signed the new offer, citing "burnout with being on the road for years and unhappiness with his position in the company over the last year." A WWE office source had the following to say on the situation…

"When you look at how the company brands it's characters, Punk is never among the top 5-8 names that are promoted or pushed. It's Cena, Orton, Miz, Undertaker, Rey, now Alberto, etc. these days and Punk is sort of floating right under there. He didn't fit into the youth drive a few months back but he's not treated like a top veteran either. He's just there, doing his job and while everyone knows he delivers, he's never really treated like someone who does. He's never dropped the ball but we don't give it to him really, either. He's treated like a guy, but not THE guy. For a driven guy like him who's made wrestling his entire world, it's got to drive him crazy. Now, the excuse will be don't push Punk because he might be leaving, but the reality is the environment and situation is what is probably making him want to leave to begin with. Either it gets fixed or it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, just like it did when Batista walked out."

Wow....

It would not surprise me one bit if he left. I mentioned this a few months back that several talents were not pleased with the money they been getting for the travel they've been doing and the storylines they've been put in. Look at the guys that left. Jericho, Edge (retired but could have taken a  backstage role), MVP and a slew of others.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:40:15 PM »
Punk would be a massive loss to them, not just right now, but at any time. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
Punk would be a massive loss to them, not just right now, but at any time. 
I totally agree. He has the one feature he has is that quality to get the crowd litterally eating out of the palm of his hand. He did it with SES and later with NEXUS. He is a phenomenal heel and a good talent. Vince is retarted if he lets him go.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 02:32:51 PM »
If he burnt out, I don't see them having a problem with giving him some time off. As far as his spot, he's like Jericho who is a main eventer but has enough credibility to work lower on the card. He's won 3 world titles, was a major part of RAW with Nexus and is feuding with the #2 face in the company..I don't see what the problem is? Miz is the champ. I think he has a legit gripe about how he is booked in feuds, though. Especially that travesty with Mysterio. Do you guys think he'd go back to ROH?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:59:36 PM »
PW Insider-

As we reported this week, RAW superstar CM Punk is said to be unhappy in WWE and is considering leaving the company when his contract expires later this year. Punk is burned out from five years on the road and is not happy with other stars such as The Miz and Alberto Del Rio getting pushed over him.

WWE wants to keep Punk on the roster and have offered him a new longterm deal, which he’s yet to sign. It’s interesting to note that CM Punk’s real-life girlfriend Beth Phoenix was traded to the RAW brand during Tuesday’s Supplemental Draft – which could be seen as a move to make life better for Punk on the road.

Punk’s possible departure from WWE later this year has been one of the main topics of discussion behind the scenes this week. Punk has been dating Beth Phoenix for the past several months and the two are reportedly a serious couple.

WWE has made roster trades in the past to keep superstar-diva couples together – with the most notable example being Michelle McCool being moved to SmackDown a few years ago so she could travel with her husband, The Undertaker.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 05:48:38 AM »
Jericho only came back because he was out of work and wanted to get his face back on TV. He still thinks he's Hollywood material. Once this dancing show ends. Give it a few months of unemployment. He'll be the surprise entrant in next years Rumble. Sorry about Edge. VKM cannot let Punk go. Who was MVP again?
I hope so. That would be a sick angle. Jericho does exactly what Piper did in his day. He'll wreslte for a couple of solid years and then retreat back, take time off, do other ventures and come back throgh the WWE front door like he never left. That IMO is the smart way. You avoid injuries like that and it lets you get out there and try new things.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 06:47:12 AM »
Could be a negotiating tactic to get more money out of Vince.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 08:14:44 AM »
Could be a negotiating tactic to get more money out of Vince.
Vince is far to smart for that.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 12:04:01 PM »
Hey I'm not a Jericho fan at all. But hats off to the guy for even trying to branch off. Besides Rock, Hulkster, and 3:16. Maybe I'm missing some other guys? But Jericho has had lots of TV time over the years outside of Wrestling. Then he comes back and he's a main event straight away. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it. How's he doing on that dancing show? 
I miss Randy Savage. Man oh man.....an eighties / 90's Macho King heel Randy Savage was phonomenal. Made Warrior look like gold at WM7.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 03:59:52 PM »
Hey I'm not a Jericho fan at all. But hats off to the guy for even trying to branch off. Besides Rock, Hulkster, and 3:16. Maybe I'm missing some other guys? But Jericho has had lots of TV time over the years outside of Wrestling. Then he comes back and he's a main event straight away. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it. How's he doing on that dancing show? 

I believe Y2J was voted off/eliminated (or whatever the fukk they do on that show) earlier this week.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 05:57:47 AM »

I believe Y2J was voted off/eliminated (or whatever the fukk they do on that show) earlier this week.

If I got paid 125,000 dollars to go on that show plus 10,000 dollars more for every appearance thereafter, I would do the tango with fatso Kristie Alley too!

w8m8

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »
If I got paid 125,000 dollars to go on that show plus 10,000 dollars more for every appearance thereafter, I would do the tango with fatso Kristie Alley too!

LOL  ;D

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »
Another big name leaving (spoiler)
A match pitting Michelle McCool against Layla this Sunday at Extreme Ruleswill carry a "loser leaves WWE" stipulation. While the match was announced as a Loser Leaves SmackDown Match Tuesday's SmackDowntaping, "WWE" is overdubbed in placed of "Smackdown" during the telecast, which has already aired in Australia. PWInsider.com has confirmed that McCool is legitimately leaving WWE, not taking time off as some speculated. Therefore, this Sunday will be her final match with WWE.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »
Another big name leaving (spoiler)

Makes sense with Taker spending so much time away from the ring now.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 05:51:11 PM »
Sounds like baby time for Mrs. Phenom Michelle McCool. Does Undertaker have any children?

I was just about to ask the same thing.
I've never heard of any.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 08:22:56 AM »
Undertaker has kids from a previous marriage. I honestly though Layla would be the one to leave.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 10:09:44 AM »
In an update to an earlier report concerning CM Punk’s future with the WWE, We have learned that a major issue in the negotiations of CM Punk re-signing with the company is the trademark of his name.

As of now, Vince McMahon and the WWE don’t own the name CM Punk. They would like him to sign over the rights to the name which appears to be a hold up in a quick agreement between both sides to continue working together long term.

It appears that CM Punk would like to remain with the WWE but wants to be sure he looks out for himself. As one source told me, “Punk knows that WWE is the secure place for him to be at this point in his career but is a smart business man.”

CM Punk is one of the few wrestlers who was well established on the independent circuit and kept his ring name when being signed by the WWE. It is common the WWE gives the performer a name change so they do have ownership and rights to their WWE identity. Bryan Danielson’s name being changed to Daniel Bryan is a recent example.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »
In an update to an earlier report concerning CM Punk’s future with the WWE, We have learned that a major issue in the negotiations of CM Punk re-signing with the company is the trademark of his name.

As of now, Vince McMahon and the WWE don’t own the name CM Punk. They would like him to sign over the rights to the name which appears to be a hold up in a quick agreement between both sides to continue working together long term.

It appears that CM Punk would like to remain with the WWE but wants to be sure he looks out for himself. As one source told me, “Punk knows that WWE is the secure place for him to be at this point in his career but is a smart business man.”

CM Punk is one of the few wrestlers who was well established on the independent circuit and kept his ring name when being signed by the WWE. It is common the WWE gives the performer a name change so they do have ownership and rights to their WWE identity. Bryan Danielson’s name being changed to Daniel Bryan is a recent example.

Punk, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »

Punk, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

What he said.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 04:59:58 PM »
LOL, he's holding out over the name 'cm punk' !!?! Ahahahahaha what a retard

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 05:27:51 PM »
LOL, he's holding out over the name 'cm punk' !!?! Ahahahahaha what a retard

I know...but, that's the name under which he's forged his reputation.
If he ever leaves the Fed, he'll have a tougher time if he can't use that name.

That's why the old man has always been big on owning his wrestlers' names/likeness.
Own the name, own the guy.
It's a control/ego thing, but it's also to prevent them from using (as much of) their "star power" against Vince down the road.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 12:47:59 PM »

I know...but, that's the name under which he's forged his reputation.
If he ever leaves the Fed, he'll have a tougher time if he can't use that name.

That's why the old man has always been big on owning his wrestlers' names/likeness.
Own the name, own the guy.
It's a control/ego thing, but it's also to prevent them from using (as much of) their "star power" against Vince down the road.
Another tidbit.....

Shawn Michael's and The Undertaker were both one signature away from leaving the WWE for WCW for some serious lucrative money but they didn't for that exact reason. They would have to loose the Heart Break Kid and Deadman gimmicks and pretty much their careers and start over. Not worth it in the end. Risk versus reward.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 11:19:13 PM »
You know I never heard that. Thats a shame to me. I thought they were just being loyal to the Federation.

Does Vince own "The Hearbreak Kid" or "Shawn Michaels" or both?

If they took away "The Hearbreak Kid", I am sure they could come up with something else... But the name "Shawn Michaels" would be tough to duplicate.

Although, Hall and Nash had no problem with it... and what about "Hulk Hogan"? Is that because the check is written to Marvel for the name "Hulk"?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 04:41:49 AM »
Does Vince own "The Hearbreak Kid" or "Shawn Michaels" or both?

If they took away "The Hearbreak Kid", I am sure they could come up with something else... But the name "Shawn Michaels" would be tough to duplicate.

Although, Hall and Nash had no problem with it... and what about "Hulk Hogan"? Is that because the check is written to Marvel for the name "Hulk"?

The old man probably owns the HBK moniker, but I’m not sure about the name Shawn Michaels.
He may own it by now; one way to find out is to check any recent Shawn Michaels action figure.
It should say somewhere on the box, or figure itself, something like “copyright 2011 WWE all rights reserved.”

I suspect Hall & Nash had no problems using their real names because they never used them at all in the WWF.
You would think nobody could prevent you from using your birth name, but it caused some problems for Mike Rotundo, who was forced to change the spelling of his last name at least once to wrestle in another organization.

And yes, Marvel Comics owned the name “Hulk” and all derivatives of it.
My understanding is that Vince (and even Hogan) had to pay royalties to Marvel for permission to use the name Hulk during Hogan's WWF tenure.
Subsequently, I remember my early 80’s Hulkster action figures being stamped with “© Marvel Comics.”
All the others were “© Titan Sports.”

WCW gradually phased out the “Hulk” part of Bollea’s ring name, replacing it with “Hollywood” so that they would not have to pay Marvel their commission.   

I believe that Hogan struck a deal with Marvel in which he now owns the Hulk name - only as it is associated with his character/image/likeness.