Author Topic: Natural strength limits as you age  (Read 3786 times)

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
Natural strength limits as you age
« on: April 28, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
If you're not juicing, do you think you reach a certain strength level, at a certain age, and that's your maximum potential?

For example, I'm 40 and not currently benching what I could 10 years ago.

As a lifetime natural, could I ever eclipse my previous best bench (through new or varied training methods and/or diet) or is that pipe dream?

Discuss ...

MB

• Getbig IV
Re: Natural strength limits as you age
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »
No reason you can't eclipse it if you're injury free.  That's the hard part as you get older. 

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 08:46:12 PM »
If you're not juicing, do you think you reach a certain strength level, at a certain age, and that's your maximum potential?

As a lifetime natural, could I ever eclipse my previous best bench (through new or varied training methods and/or diet) or is that pipe dream?

Discuss ...

It only gets worse from here on...

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 08:52:32 PM »

Discuss ...

Only downhill from here.

You're better off if you just kill yourself.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 09:27:35 PM »
Yes, varying your training and possibly your diet (don't know what your current diet is) CAN revive your body and cause you to become stronger than before.  Don't count yourself out.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:39:35 PM »
Natural age limits my ass.

I'm leaner, have more energy, and lift more at 43 than at any other time in my life.

Declining test levels are a myth as far as I'm concerned.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 10:39:08 PM »
Look up the name Frank Beeler. Here is a pic of me and him.

He was 50 there, and he used to say "I can't believe how I keep getting stronger as I get older"

You will find that he holds International Bench Press records across the world in drug tested events.

So, in essence, his answer would have been "no, there are no limitations"

That weight he was pushing there was not a 1RM, he was repping with it. He only wanted me to stand there quietly "just in case"

He didn't scream and holler or arch his back as he pushed the weight up. He didnt work legs or arms or anything. He was just a bench presser.

He was a client of mine for years, if you ever saw him do anything it was bar benching, 1RMs, Iso-holds, or competition lifts. Once in awhile you might see him on a recumbent bike B.S.ing with someone for 20 minutes or so.

hmontaq

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »
At 44 I have honestly lost the desire to be huge and focus more on being lean and healthy. Dont worry about how much you lift and be happy with the results you get from training the right way for your desired effect. Im 5'10 and just under 200lbs. and 3 days in the gym and cardio at home. 15 years ago I was pushing 230 lbs. and spent 5 to 7 days a week in the gym.

If getting huge is your idea then keep pushing and adding 20 pounds to your basic mass lifts per month and eat like crazy...

Good Luck
Getbig =Reality Show

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 03:07:30 AM »
At 44 I have honestly lost the desire to be huge and focus more on being lean and healthy. Dont worry about how much you lift and be happy with the results you get from training the right way for your desired effect. Im 5'10 and just under 200lbs. and 3 days in the gym and cardio at home. 15 years ago I was pushing 230 lbs. and spent 5 to 7 days a week in the gym.

If getting huge is your idea then keep pushing and adding 20 pounds to your basic mass lifts per month and eat like crazy...

Good Luck

Unless you are competing... ;D

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 03:09:31 AM »
your test levels starts dropping past 30 and you get more fragile(joints, tendons etc.)

ofcourse you are going to get weaker.

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 03:53:58 AM »
Test levels may decline but everything else gets easier.

Like staying on a diet, training correctly.

At 35 I notice that I need to train hard less frequent than before to make gains.
Recovery is a bitch!

MP

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 05:24:28 AM »
Sounds good guys. I plan on lifting till I die anyway, regardless of what my max bench is.

Benching was never my strongest lift. But was just curious if I could look forward to beating my best if I put my mind to it.

I'm no longer in the game to get "huge." I just put on too much fat last time I went that route.

MP

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 05:25:53 AM »
Only downhill from here.

Listen you fucking delusional twink. I've seen your pics in the other thread. Perhaps you should actually join a gym before posting ever again on a weightlifting forum.

tlc

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 05:39:33 AM »
I'm 40 in a few months, been training again since mid Jan for the first time since my mid twenties, already bigger and stronger than I used to be, but I was never anything special.

Seriously considering 500mg/wk test e for 12 weeks and 30-40mg dianabol/day for the first 4-5 weeks as a bit of a helping hand. Never done a cycle before but why not? Not worried about pct really because how much test am I realistically producing anyway?

Been great fun getting back into shape, gotta say. ;)

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 06:23:16 AM »
Only downhill from here.

Wow.....the irony in your post is absolutely astounding.

Anyway....MP....I feel ya.  After training from 1987 - 2010 drug free and competing as such, I made the switch.  I feel a tad better, but I can't say my strength has drastically improved.  I am on a VERY low dose of test.  I can't imagine what I would feel like with 500mg/week...seeing as I am on only 20% of that right now.  I can remember getting multiple reps with 425....now, I get almost destroyed trying for a single with 405 on squat.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 10:47:35 AM »
Natural age limits my ass.

I'm leaner, have more energy, and lift more at 43 than at any other time in my life.

Declining test levels are a myth as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know if it's a myth, as there's some pretty convincing evidence to support it, but it isn't as gloomy as some people may think.  The decline should be a gradual thing; so if you were on top of things at 35, you should be generally very similar at 45.  But if at 45 it feels like you've somehow crashed (we're talking about naturals here), you owe it to yourself to shake things up.  Keep tweaking around to find that riff again, because it will feel great to get it back.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 11:52:21 AM »
Roy Shaw, age 72 still benches over 300lbs

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 11:54:53 AM »

Discuss ...

That is normal You can't be juicing and pressing the same weight you did 10-15 years ago. Just lighten the load, eat clean and be healthy.