Author Topic: Luger (2010) Discusses leaving WWF for WCW:  (Read 5520 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Luger (2010) Discusses leaving WWF for WCW:
« on: May 03, 2011, 12:14:21 PM »

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Luger (2010) Discusses leaving WWF for WCW:
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:17:44 PM »
I heard he did it because he didn't like the direction of his charactor at the time in WWE. Aparently he even took a paycut in WCW back then in 1995 until he got his raise in 1997.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 02:38:05 PM »
I heard he did it because he didn't like the direction of his charactor at the time in WWE. Aparently he even took a paycut in WCW back then in 1995 until he got his raise in 1997.

You know what: how else could they have pushed him?
They gave him a top roster spot, a tour bus, music videos, etc.
Really, what more could they have done to get him over?

Evo

• Getbig IV
  • you racku disapwin!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »

This...

I never liked Luger's out of ring work, thought he was very one dimensional on the mic.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »
This...

I never liked Luger's out of ring work, thought he was very one dimensional on the mic.

He lost his place a lot on the stick.

In the ring, though, he was okay - as in competent.
He was safe, reliable, and cooperative...but, he was very "basic."
Bret even mentioned that you could never have much more than a basic match with Luger because he just didn't have the repertoire.

Evo

• Getbig IV
  • you racku disapwin!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 04:10:18 PM »

He lost his place a lot on the stick.

In the ring, though, he was okay - as in competent.
Bret even mentioned that you could never have much more than a basic match with Luger because he just didn't have the repertoire.

Yeah I remember some absolute clangers during interviews or promo's....ultimate warrior-esque lol

I agree about his in ring ability too, no standout matches or anything to make you remember him...just the same drill over and over again

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 06:02:18 PM »

Barry Windham's evaluation:

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 04:53:54 AM »

They tried but it just didn't work. Luger just didn't have it. He did better in Atlanta in WCW back in the early ninties when he was managed by Harley Race and was a heel champion.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 01:47:59 PM »
I always had a soft spot for Luger for some reason.  Maybe it was the early Horsemen connection.  Or maybe just the fact that the Horsemen could cover for him and make him look good as they could anyone.  I always felt he fit in with them.

I remember him being pretty decent in his early days, but I was pretty young and maybe my memory is sweetening things a little.

Great strory by Windham by the way.  He is one of the best!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 04:26:57 AM »
I always had a soft spot for Luger for some reason.  Maybe it was the early Horsemen connection.  Or maybe just the fact that the Horsemen could cover for him and make him look good as they could anyone.  I always felt he fit in with them.

I remember him being pretty decent in his early days, but I was pretty young and maybe my memory is sweetening things a little.

Great strory by Windham by the way.  He is one of the best!

I always thought Lugar suffered as a horseman when he first showed up in 1987 ot JCP. In a stable full of amazing technical wrestlers, to me Luger just didn't fit in. I thought he started to come out of his shell when he left and turned face. To me, the best horsemen were the original gang of Arn, Tully, Ole & Flair. Windham being the only exception. The rest and new innovations of that group was just not the same.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 06:19:05 AM »
For some reason, I liked him in the group.  One reason is Arn hadn't been fully established as the enforcer at that time.  So to me, he gave them some muscle and intimidation factor.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 06:30:41 AM »
For some reason, I liked him in the group.  One reason is Arn hadn't been fully established as the enforcer at that time.  So to me, he gave them some muscle and intimidation factor.
Luger was huge and ripped back then. One of the best built guys in the business.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 06:39:56 AM »
Luger was huge and ripped back then. One of the best built guys in the business.

I always said if wrestling had a true contest, he would win hands down.  He had a pretty good total package. ::) He even had pretty decent legs, which many wrestlers are lacking, especially for his height.

I think the most amazing thing about him was the year round condition he kept.  Most guys would go up and down some, depending on how much time they were spending on the road.  Luger basically didn't change for almost twenty years.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 06:48:30 AM »

I'm a little confused. Didn't Luger show up on Nitro, the Monday after SummerSlam '95? WWE did one of those "This week in wrestling history", talking about the debut of Luger on Nitro. And, they talked about how that was the "first shot" of the Monday Night Wars, because he was at SummerSlam the previous night.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 07:02:34 AM »
I think he was just backstage at the ppv.

Man, that stupid reaction of hogan in that video maked me remember just how much I hated him.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 07:16:51 AM »
To me, the best horsemen were the original gang of Arn, Tully, Ole & Flair. Windham being the only exception.

You forgot Steve McMichael.

I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 07:25:34 AM »
I think he was just backstage at the ppv.

Man, that stupid reaction of hogan in that video maked me remember just how much I hated him.

He was part of a storyline. Remember the main event (some has stated that this was the worst main event in WWF history), Diesel vs. King Mabel for the WWF title. During the buildup, Luger was gone. So his "Allied Powers" partner, the British Bulldog teamed with Diesel to take on King Mabel and Sir Moe.

Bulldog turned on Diesel and became a heel. Mabel then started boasting about his "Royal Plan" to win the title from Diesel. Bulldog was part of that plan. He was supposed to jump Diesel during the match, to help King Mabel get the belt.

But, Luger came back and started scrappig with the Bulldog. Moe got beat up earlier in the match, leaving King Mabel to go one-on-one with Diesel who, of course, retained his title.

That was the last we saw of Luger. Then, he's on Nitro the next night.