Author Topic: Cathy Savage bashes the NPC / IFBB Bikini competitors  (Read 25667 times)

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Cathy Savage bashes the NPC / IFBB Bikini competitors
« on: May 09, 2011, 01:26:13 PM »
This is interesting - a trainer that trains bikini competitors is bashing some of the top competitors and the way they portray themselves on stage. Is she serious?

Here is the rant from a trainer called Cathy Savage.

email: cathy@savagechoreography.com
web: http://www.cathysavagefitness.com

You know I love to get on my soapbox when I see horrific things. Well, here I go again. I found a clip from a recent IFBB/NPC bikini show in Pittsburgh and I want to share it with you. You need to see what is going on and I would like for you to also see why we are so protective of you. Your image, your career development as an athlete is what Im most concerned with- oh, and throw in, you dignity as well.

This is what the NPC and IFBB want, ladies. This isnt how it started but this is where we are at. We are also being told that all state chairmen have been instructed to go to the local Hooters and strip bars and hand out flyers to join the NPC and do the bikini division. Now while I am not judging anyone who works in a strip bar or hooters, this isnt really what the sport was supposed to be about. After all, Hooters has its own pageants.

Now you all may call me an old lady but I really take issue with whats going on in this video. I also would love to know what the fitness and figure athletes backstage are thinking while this "T and A" show is going on. Listen, Im not judging anyone but Im judging the process. Im wondering what this does to the brand of competitive fitness. Im also lucky to have access to what the magazines like Oxygen want- and its not this. They want fresh and sassy- not trashy and slutty.

I have always advised you guys to pick the shows you want to compete in, and we will help you but its getting to a point where this crap is just NOT GOOD FOR ANYONE. Im not sure what these girls are thinking- Im not sure if they feel like they are being overly sexual. They seem to not be bothered by it. Its their choice to do this and luckily its your choice as well.

Lets review what a PRO CARD means in the NPC/IFBB. Um- it doesnt change your life. It means you cant compete anywhere else. It means you are restricted- it doesnt mean money unless you are at the top and you have to be in the inner circle to be at the top. You will be paying thousands of dollars on bigger boobs, wigs, fat burners and sometimes drugs, before that happens. Its your choice ladies. But as someone who is looking out for you, I cant justify this crap when there are so many other outlets for you. So please watch this video and decide for yourself what you want. Do you want your parents see you doing this? Do you want people from your workplace seeing you pose this way? Do you want people seeing your crotch with this style of posing? Do you want your kids in the audience? Im not telling YOU what to do. This is your life-this is your choice and thankfully you have choices to compete wherever you want.

An educated mind makes the best decision so YOU decide where you want to be in this industry. Please know that Fitness America forbids this posing and will mark your score down dramatically if they see this. The WBFF will soon follow in line. There are also some smaller up and coming organizations about to make major statements on what is going on as well. These organizations are beginning to speak out. This is a good start to get our sport back on the right side. So watch this link and YOU decide.

Effort

• Getbig I
Re: Cathy Savage bashes the NPC / IFBB Bikini competitors
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:22:32 PM »
There go her npc clients and any hopes of her remaining clients ever getting a fair chance at an npc/ifbb show

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 07:10:46 AM »
That vid didn't show some of the more elaborate movements I've seen ( I don't mean sexual, just more dance-like).

A girl at my gym started in figure and then went to bikini and is back in figure because she didn't feel comfortable w/performing the bikini movements.

They all look fantastic but I have to agree that when they turn around to show their backs the wide spreading of the legs seems a bit odd...but I'm no judge.

R

w8m8

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:51:37 AM »
I see it as a whole different division of the competitions ( and I like it ) ... maybe because it's been integrated within the BB and fitness industry it is being looked at as a little biased by some ? 

I can understand that the crotch shot posing stance is a little over the PG level they would like to see .. but in fairness the small posers men wear and yes .. during some of their routines .. the whole package they have is right there  .. in your face ... so to speak

double standards ?   methinks yes , a little

it's part of the whole competition scene I think .. and we take what want from it ... I'm sure no matter how many people see it as being too sexy .. there are just as many who like watching it .. so who do you please ? .. you can't please everyone  :-\

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »
Everyone has a right to an opinion but to blatantly bash an organization that you don't care for is classless. Coincidence that Tianna Ta left her group and just so happen to be in this video? The posing shown here is no different than it has been at other pro shows. Appears someone is a bit butt hurt and is choosing to take the low road instead.

:'(
Elevate Your Image.™

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:58:22 PM »

Tiana Ta responds on SC on this issue

I started with Cathy Savage Fitness in July 2009 after a friend had recommended her. I wanted to compete in the NPC New Englands in Oct '09 but she suggested I compete in NPC Team U in Sept '09. At that point, I had researched different federations and found that NPC was the federation I was most interested in being a part of. I proceeded to compete in Team U and the New Englands, where I won first and overall. I continued to Nationals in Nov '09 where I earned my IFBB Pro card. My pro debut was the 2010 Pittsburgh Pro where I secured a spot at the inaugural 2010 Bikini Olympia. Now this goes to show that Cathy supported NPC the whole time and she sent all of her girls to compete in the local shows. In fact, the attendance of CSF girls was immense.

In the weeks leading up to the Olympia, Cathy and I were supposed to meet on several occassions for posing for the show, but she continued to "resechedule" and blew me off. I was not fully prepared and my diet was off, so I ended up losing a drastic amount of weight within the last 3 weeks leading up to the show. I felt awful and knew I was not bringing a strong package to the stage. Looking back on the video, I felt as though I had no business being on that stage with those other women. After the O, instead of being a supportive coach and motivating me for the next season, Cathy simply said "You should leave IFBB to go to WBFF" .

In response, I told her that I am not a quitter and that I would not leave a federation that has been so good to me. After that, I took a step back to observe and realized that CSF did not care about me, or my success. She did not support me (when I qualified for O, she said she booked her hotel and flight but never came, nor did she tell me she wasn’t going. I found out days before the show that she had cancelled.), she did not care about my success, and she was too wrapped up in her own life. I then decided that CSF was not a place for me any longer, and when I reasearched different coaches and teams, I found that Team Bombshell ran by IFBB Pro Shannon Dey. After speaking to Dey, I found that this team was what best suited me and this would be my new home.

I set up a few meeting to let Cathy know face to face that I would be departing from the team, but again, she continued to cancel on me and kept rescheduling (3 times that week). In fact, I was supposed to meet with her at 8 am one Sunday morning and at 7:00 when I texted her to make sure she’d be ther (I live 45 min away), she said she’d have to reschedule because something came up, so I told her that it was imperative we speak that day. So finally that night, she called me and I told her. Although she wasn’t quite pleased with the team I wanted to be with, she claimed to have support for whatever I decide. I hung up the phone feeling great, knowing our split was amicable, only to find out days later that she emailed all of her coaches and said “F*ck Tianna for leaving us”.

At this point, I was completely happy with Bombshell and promoted them, but received an email from Cathy to ask me to stop “badmouthing” CSF. Now if you all recall, all of my interviews and FB & Twitter posts since Dec, I have NEVER once badmouthed CSF. I have never even mentioned her company. I politely told her I have not and asked HER to stop trashing me, in which she replied “I am way far into my season to be thinking about you. Peace.” So I left it at that.

I am not one to cause any conflict or drama. I am a neutral person that gets along with everyone. I feel as though since my departure in Dec, I have been very professional and tasteful in NOT commenting on her company. After the email was brought to my attention early Monday morning, I was initially hurt, but very disgusted, and embarrassed that I was ever affiliated with the company. I am saddened that she would take it this far and bash an entire federation that she supported up until I decided to part ways with her. I think what she did was immoral, pathetic, disgusting, and it clearly shows her unethical business practices.

When I signed up to be a part of CSF, everything was different. I felt as though she sincerely cared about everyones well being and success. There was not much drama and backstabbing and she would always be available. As time went on, its clear that everything changed. I still receive messages from girls who are with her that tell me that “things aren’t like they used to be and I don’t like the direction its going in”. Whomever a competitor chooses to be with, its their choice, but I know I found a great home for me with Team Bombshell.

What makes me sad also is that Cathy uses scare tactics with her girls and bashes other teams to try to get them to stay on her team. This bashing will only go so far before her girls realize that all she is doing is brainwashing them to think that everyone else is evil, and drugged up. Her cookie cutter diets are also not “custom” as she claims them to be. It is also imperative to point out that several women have left her team (including staff) because everyone feels as though its more of a cult, instead of a “sisterhood” that its supposed to be.

I find it a mere coincidence that this email was sent right after my first show of the season, and the clip that she decided to post was one I was in 3 x. The season started back in March, so if she felt so strongly about the situation, then why not send this anytime since then? Its sad but true to say that in my opinion, she thought I wouldn’t improve without her, but I have to say that the wisest decision I made was to leave the cult…errr team.

Thank you for all of the outpouring support for everyone that has reached out to me. Those who are on CSF team also feel as though this email was sent as insult to the federation, but more mainly for me. If you don’t understand the correlation, its because you don’t understand the history between she and I, and I hope this brief synopsis helps. I wish the best of luck to those who continue to stay on her team and hope that one day, she will run her business as a business instead of a drama filled, lying, cult.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:08:05 PM »

Each 'trainer' or 'nutritionist' works well with some competitors, and not good with others.  People change all the time out there until they find who they like.  'Rescheduling', not doing well, not feeling like having good karma with the person constitutes change.  If it happens, so be it.

But bashing a federation, making up lies, and using scare tactics just isnt cool.

Get over it.

It will only hurt you in the end in the age of the internet.  People will find out, and want the truth.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 06:36:41 AM »
Very savage of her.
I hate the State.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 03:43:35 PM »
Oh the drama ::)

Who cares how they pose. Sure it's a bit slutty but it draws crowds.
Hell if you want me to post swinging on a stripper pole I will. Who gives a shit about what others think.

Everybody knows that if Sonia Gonzales or Amanda Latona chopped their hair short that they wouldn't place nearly as well.

This sport of bikini is about beauty and sex appeal. An ugly faced competitor with a gorgeous physique wouldn't place well bottom line.

It is what it is and everybody needs to quit denying that and judging that.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 03:04:22 AM »
Oh the drama ::)

Who cares how they pose. Sure it's a bit slutty but it draws crowds.
Hell if you want me to post swinging on a stripper pole I will. Who gives a shit about what others think.

Everybody knows that if Sonia Gonzales or Amanda Latona chopped their hair short that they wouldn't place nearly as well.

This sport of bikini is about beauty and sex appeal. An ugly faced competitor with a gorgeous physique wouldn't place well bottom line.

It is what it is and everybody needs to quit denying that and judging that.

Yes, please do!
I hate the State.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 01:36:42 PM »
I see it as a whole different division of the competitions

BINGO!!

Why is this concept so hard for some people to grasp?
Or, do certain people's problems stem more from "something else?"

They do it because it draws money.
And, anything that makes an industry money, is good for the industry - including those who have jobs in that industry.

obtuse_waiter

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 03:53:27 AM »
This is interesting - a trainer that trains bikini competitors is bashing some of the top competitors and the way they portray themselves on stage. Is she serious?

Here is the rant from a trainer called Cathy Savage.

email: cathy@savagechoreography.com
web: http://www.cathysavagefitness.com

You know I love to get on my soapbox when I see horrific things. Well, here I go again. I found a clip from a recent IFBB/NPC bikini show in Pittsburgh and I want to share it with you. You need to see what is going on and I would like for you to also see why we are so protective of you. Your image, your career development as an athlete is what Im most concerned with- oh, and throw in, you dignity as well.

This is what the NPC and IFBB want, ladies. This isnt how it started but this is where we are at. We are also being told that all state chairmen have been instructed to go to the local Hooters and strip bars and hand out flyers to join the NPC and do the bikini division. Now while I am not judging anyone who works in a strip bar or hooters, this isnt really what the sport was supposed to be about. After all, Hooters has its own pageants.

Now you all may call me an old lady but I really take issue with whats going on in this video. I also would love to know what the fitness and figure athletes backstage are thinking while this "T and A" show is going on. Listen, Im not judging anyone but Im judging the process. Im wondering what this does to the brand of competitive fitness. Im also lucky to have access to what the magazines like Oxygen want- and its not this. They want fresh and sassy- not trashy and slutty.

I have always advised you guys to pick the shows you want to compete in, and we will help you but its getting to a point where this crap is just NOT GOOD FOR ANYONE. Im not sure what these girls are thinking- Im not sure if they feel like they are being overly sexual. They seem to not be bothered by it. Its their choice to do this and luckily its your choice as well.

Lets review what a PRO CARD means in the NPC/IFBB. Um- it doesnt change your life. It means you cant compete anywhere else. It means you are restricted- it doesnt mean money unless you are at the top and you have to be in the inner circle to be at the top. You will be paying thousands of dollars on bigger boobs, wigs, fat burners and sometimes drugs, before that happens. Its your choice ladies. But as someone who is looking out for you, I cant justify this crap when there are so many other outlets for you. So please watch this video and decide for yourself what you want. Do you want your parents see you doing this? Do you want people from your workplace seeing you pose this way? Do you want people seeing your crotch with this style of posing? Do you want your kids in the audience? Im not telling YOU what to do. This is your life-this is your choice and thankfully you have choices to compete wherever you want.

An educated mind makes the best decision so YOU decide where you want to be in this industry. Please know that Fitness America forbids this posing and will mark your score down dramatically if they see this. The WBFF will soon follow in line. There are also some smaller up and coming organizations about to make major statements on what is going on as well. These organizations are beginning to speak out. This is a good start to get our sport back on the right side. So watch this link and YOU decide.

just want to say this vid made my day
keep up the good work