Author Topic: Divorce: Schwarzenegger and Shriver  (Read 15923 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Divorce: Schwarzenegger and Shriver
« on: May 10, 2011, 06:44:19 AM »
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Maria Shriver announce separation
The former California first lady has moved out after 25 years of marriage. Maria Shriver helped bolster Arnold Schwarzenegger's campaign against charges that he groped women during his movie career . . .

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-mew-arnold-maria-separate-20010510,0,961258.story

25 years is a good run.  I don't see this as "failure."  Sometimes relationships just run their course.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: Divorce?: Schwarzenegger and Shriver
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:48:11 PM »
he said "hasta la vista, baby"

he erased her

she got terminated

ok, that's all i got right now

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »
He said, "I'll be back"

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:06:31 AM »
The unraveling of the Schwarzenegger-Shriver marriage
Some close to Arnold Schwarzenegger speak of a loving marriage that slowly foundered. Friends of Maria Shriver see her as trapped for years in an unhappy relationship that hit a breaking point after her parents' deaths.
By Robin Abcarian and Mark Z. Barabak, Los Angeles Times

The partnership of Maria Shriver and Arnold Schwarzenegger was a collision of two worlds, an unlikely but watchable match.

Twenty five years ago, when they married, Shriver was a child of American Democratic political royalty — pedigreed, pampered and with a professional ambition unusual for the women of her clan. Schwarzenegger was a fading strongman and minor movie actor with immigrant dreams as outlandishly big as his biceps.

Schwarzenegger, 63, would go on to world domination — of the cinematic sort, as a top international box office star — and then the California governor's office. Shriver, 55, who became a top talent in NBC's news division, dialed back her career to care for their four children, then relinquished her job altogether when her husband became governor in 2003. It was a bond that survived its share of tests.

Schwarzenegger and Shriver announced their separation Monday, a split that marks the foundering of one of America's most famous marriages, and signals that each will face a future absent the partnership that had so defined them.

While many friends said they were surprised by the announcement, two distinctly different narratives were emerging Tuesday about the breakup.

Some close to Schwarzenegger spoke of a loving marriage that slowly broke apart over time. Friends of Shriver portrayed her as trapped for years in an unhappy relationship that reached a breaking point after the deaths of her parents and a difficult transition back to private life.

"Everyone who's shocked by this is reacting to the fairy-tale picture that was promoted," said a friend who has been a frequent visitor to the couple's Brentwood mansion and did not want to be identified as breaching the couple's confidence. The death in August 2009 of Shriver's mother, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, said this friend, marked a turning point. Her father, Sargent Shriver, the Peace Corps founder, died in January.

"There was such a void," said the friend, "and when she looked around, she realized her husband could never even think of filling it."

When asked why Shriver stayed in the marriage for so long if she was so unhappy, the friend responded: "Part of it is family legacy, part of it is Catholicism. But the most important thing was their four kids."

It is not clear when Shriver moved out, but a former Schwarzenegger administration official said he had heard about the couple's split in January. He said that although the pair had a complicated relationship, they were affectionate and showed "a genuine, deep love."

Family was Schwarzenegger's top priority, said the former official. "When she called, everything would stop. If the kids called, everything would stop," this person said. "They were very focused on raising the kids."

Several who worked for the governor said that during Schwarzenegger's first term, he spent about three nights a week in Sacramento, but that once he was reelected in 2006, he spent less time in the capital. At his wife's request, said one, Schwarzenegger would usually fly from Brentwood to Sacramento in the morning and be home by evening.

The oldest children, Katherine, 21, and Christina, 19, are at college. Patrick, 17, is a high school senior. Christopher is 13.

On Tuesday, Patrick tweeted about his family drama: "Appreciate all your messages. Small speed bump I'n life, luckily we own hummers, we will cruise right over it. All will be okay. #peace."

Shriver has been living at a Beverly Hills hotel for the last several weeks. The couple's joint statement said they were living apart "while we work on the future of our relationship."

Recently, the pair has been spotted around town together. In mid-February, during NBA All-Star weekend, they were together at a benefit party at the downtown Los Angeles restaurant Katsuya. On April 23, they visited an ice cream shop at Brentwood Country Mart. On Saturday, they attended the graduation of a nephew from Loyola Marymount University.

On Sunday, Mother's Day, the family gathered at Santa Monica's Ivy at the Shore. But Shriver and Schwarzenegger left in separate cars.

Like many famous couples, they have had an ambivalent attitude about media coverage of their marriage and family. While Schwarzenegger has generally tried to control it, Shriver was uncomfortable unless the subject was one of her causes, such as the annual Women's Conference she organized as first lady. But the profound differences in their backgrounds, as well as the bipartisan dynamic of their relationship, ensured a continuing fascination by the public.

In a 2005 Vanity Fair profile of the couple, Shriver said she surprised her friends and family by falling in love with Schwarzenegger rather than some American blue blood.

"You married the other side of the tracks," was how she described her friends' reaction. "They have trouble with the class thing," she said.

Schwarzenegger, a Republican whose moderation alienated his party once he was in office, often made light of having married into the Kennedy clan.

But despite their divergent politics, she put aside partisan leanings to be at his side during both his gubernatorial campaigns. When Schwarzenegger made a well received speech at the Republican presidential convention in 2004, however, Shriver made a point of saying she attended only to support her spouse.

In 2008, while he campaigned for Republican John McCain for president, she made a much publicized last-minute decision to appear onstage at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion at a Barack Obama rally with Michelle Obama, Shriver's cousin Caroline Kennedy and Oprah Winfrey, one of her best friends.

There were always hints that life with Schwarzenegger was challenging — and not just in the normal domestic ways.

In the midst of his first political campaign in 2003, at least 15 women came forward to accuse Schwarzenegger of sexual misconduct over a three-decade period. He first denied the allegations, then apologized, conceding, "Where there's smoke, there's fire."

Shriver took an active role in pushing back. "I know I would not be where I am today without his support," she told a rally of supporters.

"You cross Arnold, and Maria will cut your head off," her brother Bobby Shriver, now a Santa Monica city councilman, told a Times reporter in 2003.

Despite the times, and his professions of support for women's rights, Schwarzenegger expressed some old-fashioned notions about the sexes.

For instance, he told Playboy magazine in 1988 that he did not like women to wear pants. His father, he said, did not allow his mother to wear pants, and he did not allow Shriver to wear pants when they went out. "Maria would never wear pants," he said at the time. "Believe me."

Shriver, who has often been photographed wearing slacks, seemed to take her outlandish husband in stride.

"I would have had to have been deaf, blind and incredibly stupid not to see that he was more than a handful," Shriver wrote in the introduction to her 2000 book, "10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Went Out Into the Real World."

In a recent interview with Newsweek, Schwarzenegger acknowledged that life in the public glare had taken a toll on his wife. "My life is not the cleanest in town, so there were places where people could attack," he said.

Since leaving office early this year, Schwarzenegger has plunged ahead with typical brio, while Shriver seemed to be somewhat at sea.

Last month, he announced he would star in an animated children's series, "The Governator," about a superhero with an everyday family life. He told The Times he was ready to reclaim his former Hollywood glory and to make sequels of his greatest hits, including "Terminator," "True Lies" and "Kindergarten Cop."

Shriver, for her part, has seemed less certain of what awaited her.

"It is so stressful to not know what you're doing next," Shriver said in a YouTube video she posted March 28. "I'd like to hear from other people in transition.... How did you get through it? What were three things that enabled you to get through your transition?"

This year, she has worked on her women's empowerment website, guest edited an issue of O, Winfrey's magazine, and promoted causes near to her heart, such as Alzheimer's research. (Her father died after a long bout with the ailment.)

On April 14, she tweeted an upbeat message: "Loved lunching with my bro @lancearmstrong. He gave me lots of good advice. Says he will help guide me in my life. Stay tuned."

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 05:48:30 AM »
The real reason why Maria bailed!  :'(

Schwarzenegger fathered a child with longtime member of household staff
His wife, Maria Shriver, moved out of their Brentwood mansion earlier this year after the former governor acknowledged the child was his. The staff member worked for the family for 20 years, retiring in January.
By Mark Z. Barabak and Victoria Kim, Los Angeles Times

Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and his wife, Maria Shriver, separated after she learned he had fathered a child more than a decade ago — before his first run for office — with a longtime member of their household staff.

Shriver moved out of the family's Brentwood mansion earlier this year, after Schwarzenegger acknowledged the paternity. The staff member worked for the family for 20 years, retiring in January.

"After leaving the governor's office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago," Schwarzenegger said Monday night in a statement issued to The Times in response to questions. "I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry.

"I ask that the media respect my wife and children through this extremely difficult time," the statement concluded. "While I deserve your attention and criticism, my family does not. "

A spokesman for the former first lady said she had no comment.

Since leaving office, Schwarzenegger has maintained a high public profile, meeting with world dignitaries, attending a White House summit on immigration and working to revive his movie career.

To protect their privacy, The Times is not publishing the former staffer's name nor that of her child. In an interview Monday before Schwarzenegger issued his statement, the former staffer said another man — her then-husband — was the child's father.

She said she voluntarily left her position with the couple earlier this year after reaching a longstanding goal of working for them for two decades. "I wanted to achieve my 20 years, then I asked to retire," she said, adding she received a severance payment and "left on good terms with them."

Later Monday, The Times informed the woman of the governor's statement and she declined to comment further.

Schwarzenegger took financial responsibility for the child from the start and continued to provide support, according to a source who declined to be identified because of the former governor's request for privacy.

The former first couple of California announced their separation in a joint statement issued last week. The two have been married 25 years. There was no mention of a cause for the separation.

In keeping with their very public — and political — lives, two distinctly different portraits of the marriage and its status have emerged in the days since the breakup became public.

Schwarzenegger, 63, suggested that the split was temporary and the couple were working toward reconciliation. "We both love each other very much," the former governor said at an appearance last week at the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles. "We are very fortunate that we have four extraordinary children and we're taking one day at a time."

Friends of Shriver, 55, offered a grimmer assessment, saying she had been unhappy for years but made no move until after her parents died and Schwarzenegger finished his term as governor. Her father, Sargent Shriver, died Jan. 18, nearly a year and a half after the death of her mother, Eunice Kennedy Shriver.

The marriage between Shriver and Schwarzenegger — pairing one of Hollywood's top box office draws and a member of one of America's most storied Democratic political clans — has long been a subject of public interest.

As an actor, Schwarzenegger reveled in his macho image. But his behavior became an issue during his first campaign for governor, in the 2003 recall election, when more than a dozen women said he had groped them over a period of many years.

Schwarzenegger at first denied the allegations, then apologized. Shriver offered a timely and politically crucial defense of her husband, vouching for his personal integrity.

After his landslide election, she emerged as one of the most visible first ladies in California history, maintaining a high profile as she promoted volunteerism and directed a wildly popular annual conference on women.

Although friends of the couple speak of difficulties in their marriage throughout Schwarzenegger's governorship, any tensions were kept out of public view. The couple's four children range in age from 13 to 21.

Once Schwarzenegger left office in January, the two effectively began leading separate lives. Schwarzenegger has been jetting around the world, heading to Brazil's Xingu River with director James Cameron, to London for Mikhail Gorbachev's 80th birthday party, to Val d'Isere in France for skiing.

Schwarzenegger, who had to put aside acting and his business interests while serving in Sacramento, quickly plunged back into those pursuits.

Last week, a bidding war took place at Cannes to make two more installments of the "Terminator" franchise starring Schwarzenegger, and the former governor also signed to star in a third movie. He is working on an animated children's series based on his life and also exploring real estate and other business investments.

He has traveled the globe — apart from Shriver — delivering high-priced speeches and also participated in a White House summit on immigration reform. He is expected to pen his memoirs soon.

Shriver, a longtime television journalist who gave up her job at NBC when Schwarzenegger took office, has worked on her women's empowerment website, guest-edited an issue of Oprah Winfrey's magazine and promoted causes such as Alzheimer's research (her father suffered from the disease). She also took her son Patrick and some of his friends on an East Coast college tour in April.

Last Friday, after the couple's separation was made public, Shriver sent a Twitter message to her followers, which number more than 750,000: "Thank you all for the kindness, support and compassion. I am humbled by the love. Thank you."

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 05:55:15 AM »
Thanks Arnold.  Not only did you veto same-sex marriages, and allow the private lives of your gay citizens to be put up to a very public vote about what they can and can't do in their lives, but then you also break your own vows and father a bastard child.  Total and complete hypocrite.

nyexpat

I think everybody is missing the real story...............Mari a Shriver knew that Arnold had a dalliance with the maid for a while, not just recently learned ............to cause separation. That's where the story gets blurred. She's was just waiting for him to get out of office. I'm sure their marriage has been tattered for some time now. Don't believe it until you get the true story. She had no comment, why should she. She wasn't asked about the timeline.

realitydave

And to think some of you believed in this fraud and voted for him. We were better off with Davis.

Rocco B

Good for Maria Shriver for moving on with her life!  Hopefully it won't ever include this poor excuse for a man, except for how he relates to their children.  Let me see, groping women, having a child with one of the staff members...  He's utterly devoid of any moral character, and to stand there and apologize doesn't make him any less of a pig.  I'm sure he only apologized publicly because he had to or risk no one going to see his next film.  I sincerely hope that audience is not comprised of any women.
This is NOT how all men are, only particular men in positions of power, and it has nothing to do with any political affiliations. Republican, democrat, when a man has no integrity his politics are irrelevant.

SandyCou

http://discussions.latimes.com/20/lanews/la-me-0517-arnold-20110517/10

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »
I feel disapointed

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 11:59:37 AM »
When candidate Arnold was dogged by rumors and reports of womanzing Maria sprung to his defense, "You can listen to people who met Arnold for a few minutes 30 years ago, or you can listen to me..."  She knew what kind of man she was marrying didn't she?  On one level it is hard to feel sorry for her.  His bad behavior was well known.  :-\

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:15:17 PM »
hehe, he downloaded a baby

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 07:29:05 PM »
Who cares that he banged some chick outside of marriage... Big damn deal.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 07:52:03 PM »
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
What a whiny bitch [Maria] poor thing, spoiled brat with hundreds of millions in the bank and she's complaining cause she's 'lost at sea' and not sure what to do in life, are you fucking serious?!! someone should take all her shit away and drop her off in Cuba.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
she should be used to cheating, lying spouses...she is after all a kennedy

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 09:45:38 PM »
she should be used to cheating, lying spouses...she is after all a kennedy

x2 , seriously...what was she thinking !!? LOL

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 06:32:12 AM »
Maria hired the maid...just saying. 

I kid I kid!   :)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 07:28:16 AM »
Think about it:  this woman is basically living in your house.  She interacts with your wife and children for years.  You travel around the world solo all the time.  With all the opportunities available to you, the person you decide to have an affair with is the woman who lives in your house who is basically a member of your own family?  To make matters worse you father a child with her and secretly make payments to her for 10 years even as she is still working in your home and interacting with your wife and children.  All of this is happening right under the noses of your wife and children!

And all of this his happening after Maria went to the public and defended your integrity following claims by more than a dozen women who said you groped them inappropriately.

If Arnold had taken Maria’s face and ground it into a pile of dog doo that would have been less humiliating than what he has done to her here.  :(

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 08:22:32 AM »
Think about it:  this woman is basically living in your house.  She interacts with your wife and children for years.  You travel around the world solo all the time.  With all the opportunities available to you, the person you decide to have an affair with is the woman who lives in your house who is basically a member of your own family?  To make matters worse you father a child with her and secretly make payments to her for 10 years even as she is still working in your home and interacting with your wife and children.  All of this is happening right under the noses of your wife and children!

And all of this his happening after Maria went to the public and defended your integrity following claims by more than a dozen women who said you groped them inappropriately.

If Arnold had taken Maria’s face and ground it into a pile of dog doo that would have been less humiliating that what he has done to her here.

Not a very nice guy, is he?   :(

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »

If Arnold had taken Maria’s face and ground it into a pile of dog doo that would have been less humiliating than what he has done to her here.  :(

You know it could have been that Arnold was just seeking convenient, close refuge.. Maria said herself she had been really unhappy with the relationship for a long time now, she already looks like a cold enough bitch when she's normal, so imagine that coldness growing day by day, she probably cut him off from sex and he said fuck this I need to get laid.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 12:37:19 PM »
Maria's humiliation would have been much more tolerable if it was 20 year old Brazilian supermodel (see Mick Jagger).  This is probably unbearable for her.  :(

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 01:08:05 PM »
I'm honestly surprised that this divorce didn't happen any sooner. With his money and larger than life ego, there is no way this guy was staying married without cheating left, right and center.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »
This is pretty sick.  You disappoint me Arnold.   :-\

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 02:33:46 PM »
Attention Shifts to Schwarzenegger’s Housekeeper

...Associates of Mr. Schwarzenegger and Ms. Shriver, pointing to the request for privacy, offered only scant details about his son with Ms. Baena. Several friends said that she was pregnant while working around the house at the same time that Ms. Shriver was pregnant with Christopher. Ms. Baena and her son did not live in the house...
http://www.guy.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all

I didn't think anyone could look worse than Jon Edwards but Arnold now does.  :'(  Just imagine it... day after day, Maria and Baena occasionally sharing laughs over coffee or having morning sickness at the same time... and all the while Baena (and Arnold?) knows that Arnold is the father of both kids!  Maria's humiliation is beyond complete!  They say Arnold did not know the child was his until later... but if you've been sleeping with Baena without a condom and ejaculating and a few months later she turns up pregnant how could you not suspect that the kid is yours? ???

If I were related to Maria I would drag her to the divorce attorney's office ASAP!

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 03:05:51 PM »
I guess she wasn't living with them because of you know, lack of space... LOL

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 03:14:29 PM »
Attention Shifts to Schwarzenegger’s Housekeeper

...Associates of Mr. Schwarzenegger and Ms. Shriver, pointing to the request for privacy, offered only scant details about his son with Ms. Baena. Several friends said that she was pregnant while working around the house at the same time that Ms. Shriver was pregnant with Christopher. Ms. Baena and her son did not live in the house...
http://www.guy.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all

I didn't think anyone could look worse than Jon Edwards but Arnold now does.  :'(  Just imagine it... day after day, Maria and Baena occasionally sharing laughs over coffee or having morning sickness at the same time... and all the while Baena (and Arnold?) knows that Arnold is the father of both kids!  Maria's humiliation is beyond complete!  They say Arnold did not know the child was his until later... but if you if you've been sleeping with Baena without a condom and ejaculating and a few months later she turns up pregnant how could you not suspect that the kid is yours? ???

If I were related to Maria I would drag her to the divorce attorney's office ASAP!

Arnold did not know the kid was his until he was born already... So this is a bit misleading.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 05:14:45 PM »

Apart from all the cheating this is kind of cool.  In America a Guatemalan immigrant's son is half-brother to the "scions" of an Irish immigrant's political dynasty.