Author Topic: For the older wrestling fans  (Read 7394 times)

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
For the older wrestling fans
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:02:01 PM »

Did the Andy Kaufman feud and Jerry "the King" Lawler feud help wrestling out?  ???

This guy seems like a jackass, but i must admit that he is funny.  :D
D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: For the older wrestling fans
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:27:09 PM »
Wrestling... no... it didn't help it.

It helped Vince bring some legitimacy to the WWE though... Bringing in a big name guy like Kaufman back when it was trying to go nationwide and eventually worldwide.

Great for Vince... Terrible for the business of "wrestling".

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:39:25 PM »
Wrestling... no... it didn't help it.

It helped Vince bring some legitimacy to the WWE though... Bringing in a big name guy like Kaufman back when it was trying to go nationwide and eventually worldwide.

Great for Vince... Terrible for the business of "wrestling".

So, it was good for wrestling. I mean, any kind of publicity wrestling could get with Kaufman and Lawler being on David Lettermman had to help out business, i think. If it's good for Vince, it's good for wrestling.

How many of you guys remember Lex Luger? I worked out with him before that whole debacle with Miss Liz and he was a absolute freak. I trained with him a few times in 00' or 01'...i was right out of high school and he was a monster.

Lex told me that he only used MuscleTech products.  ::) ::)

This is really disturbing.  :-\
D

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 04:52:41 AM »
They should have had Lawler piledrive Cole like he did Kaufman back in the early eighties and played that angle.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:36:56 PM »
If I recall, the heat of that fued with Lawler and Kaufman took place in Memphis, not the WWF.  All it really did with the Letterman thing during that time period was further blur the line between "real" and "fake" but most of you youngsters probably don't remember it.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »
If I recall, the heat of that fued with Lawler and Kaufman took place in Memphis, not the WWF.  All it really did with the Letterman thing during that time period was further blur the line between "real" and "fake" but most of you youngsters probably don't remember it.
Lol...I do. I remember Kaufman coming on TV with a neck brace and the stupid people litterally buying the fact that Lawler really hurt him.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
kaufman really did look like he was screwed up from the pilediver, after the king touched his head right after i thought it was going to fall off. good stuff.
F

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 03:23:58 PM »
haha, I remember Lawler slapping him out of his chair, he really unloaded on him.  I really don't think Letterman was "in" on it to that extent.  Then Kaufman went on a cussing rant that had to be bleeped out.  funny stuff...

Attila

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »
Hahaha funny stuff. I remeber another wrestler slapping some reporter in the ears and getting banned for life. Cant remember his name,but the reporter asked if wrestling was real and he went off on him.
"lifting for life"

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 12:02:55 PM »
Hahaha funny stuff. I remeber another wrestler slapping some reporter in the ears and getting banned for life. Cant remember his name,but the reporter asked if wrestling was real and he went off on him.

Is this the video?

I do not remember who that wrestler is......
D

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »
hard core old dogs  ;D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 02:36:08 PM »

Is this the video?

I do not remember who that wrestler is......
doctor d david shultz.
F

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 03:56:51 PM »
yeah,that was pretty cool.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 04:00:03 PM »
So, it was good for wrestling. I mean, any kind of publicity wrestling could get with Kaufman and Lawler being on David Lettermman had to help out business, i think. If it's good for Vince, it's good for wrestling.

How many of you guys remember Lex Luger? I worked out with him before that whole debacle with Miss Liz and he was a absolute freak. I trained with him a few times in 00' or 01'...i was right out of high school and he was a monster.

Lex told me that he only used MuscleTech products.  ::) ::)

This is really disturbing.  :-\

if you're saying "wrestling", vs. the "wrestling business" I disagree.

Was it good for the business of wrestling... expanding it and it's growth... Sure... but I don't think it was good for wrestling as a "product".

That's just one mulatto man's opinion though.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »
if you're saying "wrestling", vs. the "wrestling business" I disagree.

Was it good for the business of wrestling... expanding it and it's growth... Sure... but I don't think it was good for wrestling as a "product".

That's just one mulatto man's opinion though.

the Luger Video was disturbing because he was a big draw when i saw him with Sting and they were on the "Clash of the Champions."  8) Those were the good ole days for wrestling when it came to me seeing Wrestling.  8) "Stinger Splash." I got pissed off because Arn Anderson never losts that Silver belt that he had.  >:( It's kinda funny how serious i took it as a kid.....
D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 04:31:23 PM »
the Luger Video was disturbing because he was a big draw when i saw him with Sting and they were on the "Clash of the Champions."  8) Those were the good ole days for wrestling when it came to me seeing Wrestling.  8) "Stinger Splash." I got pissed off because Arn Anderson never losts that Silver belt that he had.  >:( It's kinda funny how serious i took it as a kid.....

I thought Tully Blanchard had that Silver Television title belt... With the Red or Maroon leather?

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »
I thought Tully Blanchard had that Silver Television title belt... With the Red or Maroon leather?

It was when he was with WCW.

He had that move he called the "Bionic Elbow."

I forgot who the original Four horsemen were, but my cousin watched Tully Blanchard beat the shit out of a Trash can in Charleston, W.V. He told me that they were drunk as shit and Flair had to jump out of the limo and pull Tully off the trash can.  :D He said it was the weirdest thing that he has ever seen.....
D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 04:44:12 PM »
It was when he was with WCW.

He had that move he called the "Bionic Elbow."
I forgot who the original Four horsemen were, but my cousin watched Tully Blanchard beat the shit out of a Trash can in Charleston, W.V. He told me that they were drunk as shit and Flair had to jump out of the limo and pull Tully off the trash can.  :D He said it was the weirdest thing that he has ever seen.....

This is the one I remember.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 04:48:08 PM »
I am pretty sure tat it was the WCW Intercontinental Belt.

Real wrestling days....
D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »

Real wrestling days....

NWA had the US champtionship, the TV title (silver), and the World title... They even had a junior heavyweight title for a bit.

WCW had a US title, a world title, a crusierweight, Light Heavyweight, a Hardcore title (stupid) and an "INTERNATIONAL" title... which got merged into the world title after about a year or so.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 06:13:55 PM »

Real wrestling days....

I believe the belt in that picture is the one they had made ASAP after Flair took the official WCW title with him to the WWF.
Actually, Dusty Rhodes had one of his Florida Championship Wrestling belts onto which they glued a plate with "WCW" the night Ron Simmons won the strap.
Shortly after, they scrambled and got him the one you see on Sting above.

Soon, the lawyers got involved, and Vince had to stop showing the WCW title on WWF TV, but I think Flair still kept the belt because he never "lost" it.
This was in the days when the NWA/WCW champ would put down a $25,000 deposit on the belt while he held it.
That was an insurance policy for NWA to ensure the champ would cooperate with the story lines and/or wouldn't run off with the belt.
When the belt was returned, the champ would get back his deposit with interest.

Anyway, contract negotiations fell through, Flair's current deal expired, and in Flair's mind, he never lost the belt, was no longer under contract, and they hadn't given him back his deposit - hence, the belt belonged to him.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 06:35:55 PM »

I believe the belt in that picture is the one they had made ASAP after Flair took the official WCW title with him to the WWF.
Actually, Dusty Rhodes had one of his Florida Championship Wrestling belts onto which they glued a plate with "WCW" the night Ron Simmons won the strap.
Shortly after, they scrambled and got him the one you see on Sting above.

Soon, the lawyers got involved, and Vince had to stop showing the WCW title on WWF TV, but I think Flair still kept the belt because he never "lost" it.
This was in the days when the NWA/WCW champ would put down a $25,000 deposit on the belt while he held it.
That was an insurance policy for NWA to ensure the champ would cooperate with the story lines and/or wouldn't run off with the belt.
When the belt was returned, the champ would get back his deposit with interest.

Anyway, contract negotiations fell through, Flair's current deal expired, and in Flair's mind, he never lost the belt, was no longer under contract, and they hadn't given him back his deposit - hence, the belt belonged to him.

That was the most informative post that i have ever read on Getbig.
D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 06:58:10 PM »
That was the most informative post that i have ever read on Getbig.

We take "make-believe" fighting very serious here.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 07:07:26 PM »

8)

It has been along time since i have been able to watch wrestling.

8)

D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 05:41:03 AM »

I know one person that does.... ;)