Author Topic: Biggest pet peeve at the gym?  (Read 47564 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Biggest pet peeve at the gym?
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2011, 06:01:54 AM »
Ok, another pet peeve.   

Guys trying to max out on bench and have three spotters.

One to take the bar off the rack, and two on the sides, and then all three assist  the lift and the guy gets off the bench pounds his chest like he did a huge lift.   

Fact:  if you need three guys to do a life - its too fucking heavy!

Lol...good one. Always amazes me at the stupidity factor that you see in a gym.

Here's one...

Guys who as for a spot on every single fucking set.....

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2011, 10:22:11 AM »
Ha, nicely said!! I'll also add:

-People who camp out on a piece of equipment just to chat.

-Horrid top forty music - that you hear over and over and over and over again lol

-People who talk non stop on their phones

-Those who wear cologne to "cover up" their BO - I walk away gagging with tears in my eyes from the stench.... lol

That's why I always bring my ipod!!

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2011, 10:23:53 AM »
You must hang out in nudist 5-star hotels.

And you don't??  This is GetBig... :-*

tlc

• Getbig III
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2011, 02:42:42 PM »
Here's another pet peeve...guys who take up 5 thousand square feet to change in the locker room....

Oh god this does my fucking head in. People turn up with entire suitcases of shit and happily spread it all over the place. I go trekking in the Himalayas with less crap in my bag.

caseyviator

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
I don't know about you fellas but I go to the gym to train. These people join a gym to shower, use a sauna, shave, brush their teeth, etc. Fucking ridiculous. These idiots should quit and stay home and enjoy the company of their grand children. Not trying to be 25 again. Case closed.

this shit seems to go on everywhere nowdays....i could never take a shower at the gym cause there no reason to, just go home....i mean we have sum guys that r in the locker room wen i get there and r still there walkin round naked 2 hrs later wen i get my stuff and leave....the locker room at my gym is a very very scary place for straight guys!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2011, 03:39:02 PM »

this shit seems to go on everywhere nowdays....i could never take a shower at the gym cause there no reason to, just go home....i mean we have sum guys that r in the locker room wen i get there and r still there walkin round naked 2 hrs later wen i get my stuff and leave....the locker room at my gym is a very very scary place for straight guys!!

Ha-ha!!!
An old buddy of mine used to call those guys "cock-talkers" because they seemed to socialize the most while naked in the locker room.
It seemed to be mostly older men in their 60's and up.

Another college friend of mine worked at a health club while going to school.
He said he'd often have a problem when working until close because because there was a sizeable group of guys who would gather in the steam room and do "stuff" with each other.
The front desk would inevitably get complaints about it, and my buddy would be the one to have to go in and tell them to knock it off.
He used to hate that! ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2011, 05:03:13 AM »
Okay, I've got an addy:
Saw a (quite) pregnant woman this week doing burpees on the gym floor.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »
Inconsistent rule enforcement regarding "dress code" at Planet Fitness

I can't wear my bandana, because the "rule" is only ball caps, but almost every black woman wears either something that looks like a shower cap or else some kind of head rag to look like Aunt Jemima.  :-X
~

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2012, 04:52:39 PM »
The fact that planet fitness exists

Indeed....  it's 10/month and a mile from my house...

I realize that's still no excuse   :-\
~

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »
Eh, Andy, that's no great sin.  I was stuck at Planet Witless for about a year and a half or so after Gold's sold out and, one day, that stupid fucking siren was on the wall and "judgment free zone" was slathered everywhere.

Apart from small dumbbell racks, PF does tend to have everything you need to train fairly effectively.  The problem is, the traffic is so high, good luck finding an unoccupied flat or incline bench.  Or even a Smith machine, for that matter.  When I still trained at a PF, I quickly figured out that, if I didn't lift at just and so time of morning, I'd have to sit around waiting for a bunch of jerkoffs to finish with a piece; asking to work in was like asking them if they'd like to be anally probed by a gang of Klingons.  (Besides, most of the fuckers bounce-pressed less weight than I'd warm up with, especially since these clowns benched 10 sets to failure three times/wk. and, on their "off" days, did 10 or more sets of Smith inclines to failure.  Even FLEX could've suggested them a better routine.)  

But what really gets my goat about Planet Shitness is how they swear they're all anti-powerlifting, yet bench pressing, squatting AND deadlifting are still allowed (at least, they were at my chickenshit little Gastonia branch).  Weighted dips, even if you bring a dip belt from home?  Oooh, noooo! :D  That's "intimidating" and "more of a powerlifting thing" according to the hapless employees  ::)  

Rather than argue with them, I just re-joined the first gym at which I lifted.  It'd since turned from a juiced-up BBer gym to a YMCA branch, but it was still exceptionally equipped and the traffic?  LOL.  I typically train around 10-11 a.m., at which time most of the poor souls in the place are 80-year-old hunchbacks loafing about a handful of Cybex pieces with one plate for tons of half-reps.  

Low-traffic, well-equipped gyms are the shit.  The Gold's that just opened in town is probably superior to my gym overall, and it might even be cheaper; nonetheless, I can see as clear as the bottom of an inch-deep mountain stream that said Gold's will be yet another jacked-up social thing, with two or three times as many actual serious people occupying space and engaging in general bullshitting, not to mention the "gangs" who will occupy equipment 'til their posse is through with all of their bullshit guffawing, posturing and general nonsense.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2012, 03:13:41 PM »
Traffic can be an issue for some, but i usually do my lifting before 5 a.m. so there are only about 6 people there.  I do interval/sprint training in the afternoons on non-lifting days.  I've never had an issue finding an available elliptical, but when I look over at the racks (my PF has 6 squat racks) there is usually a line at each one.

I think a lot has to do with the particular people on duty, how crowded the joint is, and if the manager is actually there at the moment regarding enforcing the anti-bb/pl rules. 
~

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2012, 05:49:54 PM »
How about the skinny pukes w notebooks and books and writing down every rep and exercise?   

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
How about the skinny pukes w notebooks and books and writing down every rep and exercise?   

Not only their own...creepy
~

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2012, 06:51:08 PM »

I actually saw a guy the other day carrying around a big hardcover book - similar to a college textbook.
I couldn't make out the entire title, but "BODYBUILDING" appeared on the front in large print.
WTF's he doing; learning how to train between sets?

2good4u

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2012, 12:43:30 AM »
1-talkers
2-grunters
3- front desk taking too long to check me in "lets go damn-it"
4-getting to the locker room and finding it has dirty towels and napkins everywhere and used protein drink bottles everywhere
5-opening a locker to find someones full suit for work shoes, socks, briefcase etc ummmm "buy a lock"
6-people who dont flush the toilet after they take a dump
7-skinny trainers that give me the evil eye cause i am bigger then they are
8-trainers that only train women "cause they dont know what the hell there doing"
9-people who dont understand when i say "can i work in"? ummm no i did not ask you how many sets you had left
10-dudes that want to shake or give you a pound even though your holding weights, just say hello and keep it moving
11-people that act out every song there listning too "i wear headphones" so all i see is useless movements out the corner of my eye
12-newbies that want to ask a ton of questions "how you get your size" what is that machine for? wait till after i work out and i will give you my complete attention, i know and understand we have to start somewhere but when im working out "WAIT"
13-gyms that dont have mirrors where they should be example you dont need a mirror in the stretching section however putting a mirror in front of the squat rack ummmm good idea why there isnt one is beyond me.
14-gyms that obviously whoever put this equipment on the floor does not work out ummm why would you put the leg press machine right next to the stationary bikes is once again beyond me.
15-the cleaning crew that cleans the lobby all day everyday but the rest of the gym is a disaster
16-not posting a sign there is no hot water when i enter the gym, i work out i want to shower before work and i find there is no hot water after i get undressed put a towel on and get in the shower....."DUH, POST A SIGN MORON"
17-water fountains with mucus in them from members spitting in them
18-temperture is never right either too damn hot in the summer or too damn cold in the winter get a good a/c and heater
19-tv channels always on old sports games that happened 2years ago, change the channel
20-men that are at the gym no matter what time of day i go and when i finally see them in a tank top or in the locker room they look like pure SHIT.....WTF?????
21-being double billed for 2 or 3 months in a row and when i complain they offer me a $10 dollar smoothie card "HUH"??
22-dudes that roll the dumbells on the floor with there feet by kicking them and these are the weights there about to lift, HUH???
23- people who dont re-rack the weights and i have to go on a search of the entire gym for a 45lb dumbell this cuts into my gym time people i have a job to go to cant be looking for weights all freaking day.
24-im black so i can say this black dudes that use the "N" word very loudly at the gym with white people within earshot, just embarrasing.
25-trainers who dont find a need to ask if your done with the equipment they just put there clients there once you have stood up, just rude.
26-urinals in men locker room not having a side between you and the next urinal dont want to pull out my junk and have the next dude staring at me, put up a divider
27-gyms with way too many stairs to climb before you get to the weight area
28-gyms with cardio equipment facing the window with no view, ummmm i would rather look at the members working out turn this shit around.
29-dudes that work out in groups of 5 or 6 "WTF" really??? and then they ask you if they can work in with you
30-front desk people that have to say my name when i enter not just my first name but last name as well, ummm i may not want everybody within earshot knowing my first and last name "idiot"
31-jacked dudes that are constantly looking in the mirror and lifting there shirt after they do 2minutes of abs "sit the fuck down"
32- equipment that stays broken more then 48hrs
33-missing pins to put in the weight machines and you have to walk all around to find same size pin on different equipment to bring back and put in the weight machine...once again takes time out of my workout routine
34-aerobic classes that blast the music so loud till i cant hear my own headphones when i am on the weight floor
35-dudes that drop the weights does not matter the size 10lbs on up to 100lbs they just for some reason throw them down on the floor as hard as they can when they finish there set and walk around looking angry for some reason...."sit the fuck down"
36-dudes that use the assisted pullup dip machine the foot part as a tricep pull down machine, "REALLY"??? now i have to wait for you to work your triceps on the part i use to stand on to do pull-ups when the tricep machine is actually available for use over there
37-dudes that never wear work-out clothes but rather jeans, hoodie, boots no matter what the weather
38-dudes that have there friends video them doing a lift on there phone
39-steroid gut dudes that think they look great with these big ass stomachs
40-dudes who use the entire gym as a race-track and jog thru all the areas for my entire workout over and over and over ummmmm go outside or get on the treadmill there is no track here moron
41-dudes that do all these weird exercises example they use the flat bench to constantly jump up and down on while holding a 2 10lb weights, ummmm now i have to wait for you to do this weird exercise that this equipment was not meant for. "NOT"
42-dudes that do pullups and think they are gymnist and try and flip over the damn bar
43-elevator to the gym not working and its 5 flights up and down and its leg day
44-getting in the shower to find there is no soap
45-clocks on the wall always wrong time or no clock at all
46-people who fill up there gallon water bottles at the water fountain, ummmm this takes too damn long i have a "JOB" to get too

I am sure there are others but this is what i have encountered in my 20plus years working out at gyms and even working at few myself i am sure i can think of more stuff, but i will do it later i am sure most people can re-late to most of these things and yet we keep going hoping it gets better, true bodybuilders, and weightlifters we are.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2012, 08:05:03 PM »
You are sooooooo lucky this is The Positive Board. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2012, 02:20:56 AM »
That list includes more pet peeves than things I even notice at the gym.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2012, 07:35:36 AM »
6-people who dont flush the toilet after they take a dump

Seriously, what is with this?  Or that don't notice it was a double-flusher?

Are these people mentally deranged or passive agressive or ...?  

R

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2012, 01:05:56 PM »

To be absolutely fair, some gyms have these "auto flush" toilets that don't always work and it can't be manually activated.

But in most cases, yes, it is ethical egoism at its very worst. 
~

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
To be absolutely fair, some gyms have these "auto flush" toilets that don't always work and it can't be manually activated.

But in most cases, yes, it is ethical egoism at its very worst. 

With most self-flushers, you can hold your hand about six inches from the motion sensor for a few seconds, and when you move it away, the comode will flush.
I've done this a few times, myself, out of courteous necessity.
 8)

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »
When theres 10 other Treadmills not being used and someone comes and uses the one right next too you. Happened to me today, or when the " biggest baddest dude " in the gym leaves 10 lb plates lying around, LOL. Strong enough to bench squat or deadlift 400 plus BUT cant even re-rack light dumbells/plates.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2012, 07:07:36 PM »

Kinda frightening that a woman knows aout double flushers. :-X

Strong enough to bench squat or deadlift 400 plus BUT cant even re-rack light dumbells/plates.
This is mine, I take off and put away shitloads of 45's every workout, yet some wanna be tough guy with sleeveless shirt on can't take the 10 and 5 off each side after he benches. >:(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2012, 07:35:52 PM »
Kinda frightening that a woman knows aout double flushers. :-X

This is mine, I take off and put away shitloads of 45's every workout, yet some wanna be tough guy with sleeveless shirt on can't take the 10 and 5 off each side after he benches. >:(
Good. Im talking about people who DONT do that. Loading up the Ez curl bar with 10lb plates and just dropping it on the floor and leaving it there when there done and just walk away, thats just part of having that " biggest/baddest dude in the gym " IMAGE.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2012, 10:26:59 AM »
When I ask someone to spot me and they don't let me do the fucking work!  Or training partners to eager to spot me!  Especially on squats, I don't want somebody that fucking close to me.  I'll just drop it on the rails...fuckers!

So they are trying to spot you on squats when you don't even request it?   :-X
R

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »
Lately we are getting a lot of pussy teens who just do curls and sit all over the equipment.   What a bunch of fags.   

Take up a ton of space and don't do shit.  Fuck, the girls train harder than these pofs.